Your experiences with the new Mahle MySmartBike app (replacement for Ebikemotion)

There is ways around the loggong of data in a ride such as Strava and others but the real frustration is that the auto power function of using a heart beat monitor to control level of support in the old app.. I have not had a response on how that works with the new app….. hopeless!!
In my app (ios), when I first connected it to the bike, when I swiped right on the home screen I did see a message to connect/link a heart beat monitor, but now it just shows the message about not having an eBike linked.

What do you see if you swipe right?

I agree totally that the transition from ebikemotion app to the MySmartBike app had been very poorly managed. Since we all had to give an email to register the first app it should not have been beyond imagination to have contacted existing users and ensure that details are transferred. I guess I was lucky that my previous rides were carried across.
I think the bad reaction to the new app is due to expectations. When they designed the ebikemotion app they threw in everything they could think of. As a result i could only use it for about an hour and it had drained my iPhone batteries - perhaps this is less of a problem on an android but let’s not get into that!

With the new app, I switch it on at the start of a ride and then don’t look at it until later. If I want navigation I use Strava or Komoot. Yes, I can watch it on my handle bars to see how fast I am going, but that can be quite a distraction (as I know to my cost).

But if you drill down on the browser dashboard it does give useful info, like how much assistance you used at different points if the journey, amount of time spent in each level and info on speeds, changes in altitude, cadence, etc. (not sure if some of this is imported from Strava).

Yes, the app itself is really dumbed down, but it does record valuable information, and has much less battery drain.

I use an Android phone but it must be the same.
1) I turn on the system on the E Bike
2) I logged in the Mahle app
3-I link the Ebike with the Mahle app by pressing the upper red circle
4) Once linked (the circle is now green), I process to run the app by pressing the lower circle.
5) Once the app is running, in the second window / page you can link your heart rate sensor
6) Once this is done, you press again the circle at the bottom and everything will be working once it finds GPS signals.

3-I link the Ebike with the Mahle app by pressing the upper red circle
4) Once linked (the circle is now green), I process to run the app by pressing the lower circle.
5) Once the app is running, in the second window / page you can link your heart rate sensor
6) Once this is done, you press again the circle at the bottom and everything will be working once it finds GPS signals.
ahh, yes I see when you press the bottom circle and then swipe right, you do get the option to "Link Pulsometer"

Gave them a call and spoke to someone to see if would be possible to get my old data, sadly that does seem unlikely. (although still not sure why not, as I would have thought they should have the old data somewhere, but maybe not.)

The woman I spoke to was quite apologetic. It did sound like I was not the only one with login and lost data issues, and that the rollout and the new app itself had not been the greatest success.

Apparently they are hoping to have an update in March, which will bring improvements and more functionality (including Maps returning), guess will just have to wait till then and see.

Gave them a call and spoke to someone to see if would be possible to get my old data, sadly that does seem unlikely. (although still not sure why not, as I would have thought they should have the old data somewhere, but maybe not.)

The woman I spoke to was quite apologetic. It did sound like I was not the only one with login and lost data issues, and that the rollout and the new app itself had not been the greatest success.

Apparently they are hoping to have an update in March, which will bring improvements and more functionality (including Maps returning), guess will just have to wait till then and see.
Hello GrumpyOldMan,
I would like to know if you are using the Mahale app with the Auto Assist feature. I am very interested in getting feedback on your experience, performance, ease of use, usefulness, and anything else you can say about it. I will appreciate your comment.

I'm very angry with MAHLE. They rubbed out the Ebikemotion APP forcing you to install the new 'improved' MAHLE APP. I don't know about others but the most valuable feature for me was the Sat Nav.....Gone!
Replaced with a load of information, and features , many of which were already available in the old App but working in conjunction with the Sat Nav. I do not call that an improvement.
If I wish to use a Sat Nav I am not going to switch to the MAHLE App to see how my bike is doing, backwards and forwards between two Apps while I am riding?

Perhaps the most regretable attitude of this company was to disable the Ebikemotion App that we were already using thus not even allowing us to remain with the old App.
How many software companies do you know that stop you from using what you already have installed?

Furthermore, I (and surely others) have paid a subscription for the maps used by the Sat Nav. No refund? Is that actually legal?

When I wrote to them they suggested that a Sat Nav might be forthcoming in the future. I'm still waiting.
They could have incorporated the existing Sat Nav system into the new APP, at least allow us to use the Ebikemotion App until they do.

The new MAHLE App? I simply do not use it at all.

Last edited:
Further to the motormaps query... have these been altered in the new app. I feel like I'm getting less help in the green level, but I may just be less fit. Does anybody know what the default settings are? My custom levels in the new app are green 60%, Amber 80%, red 100%.
So if I understand correctly it means 60% of 100 Watts on green? Ie 60 watts? Is this correct? Has it altered since the old app?

Thank you in advance
Jaja

Further to the motormaps query... have these been altered in the new app. I feel like I'm getting less help in the green level, but I may just be less fit. Does anybody know what the default settings are? My custom levels in the new app are green 60%, Amber 80%, red 100%.
So if I understand correctly it means 60% of 100 Watts on green? Ie 60 watts? Is this correct? Has it altered since the old app?

Thank you in advance
Jaja

It’s my understanding that the Mahle custom motor map is the setting you set on the Ebikemotion app with the three vertical bars. The Mahle app has added three default preset levels and continued with the adjustable custom settings. The wattage values haven’t changed and I, like you, feel less help due to less fitness from the settings from last riding season.

Thank you in advance
Jaja
L1 at 100% = 100 W
L2 at 100% = 175 W
L3 at 100% = 250 W
Knowing that, you can customize your assistance levels.

L1 at 100% = 100 W
L2 at 100% = 175 W
L3 at 100% = 250 W
Knowing that, you can customize your assistance levels.
Thank you, Antonio.
I also wondered what the default settings on the old app were. The pdf. I found online seemed to suggest 100% on each as you said. This compares to now on the new app where the defaults are 60, 80 and 100%. This would explain why I feel I am getting less help on green (but I have not noticed it on amber!)
Basically I'm trying to work out how my 'performances' this year (new app) compare to last year (old app).
I'm possibly blaming the new app for my lack of fitness!

Thank you, Antonio.
I also wondered what the default settings on the old app were. The pdf. I found online seemed to suggest 100% on each as you said. This compares to now on the new app where the defaults are 60, 80 and 100%. This would explain why I feel I am getting less help on green (but I have not noticed it on amber!)
Basically I'm trying to work out how my 'performances' this year (new app) compare to last year (old app).
I'm possibly blaming the new app for my lack of fitness!
Hi Jaja,
I have developed and proposed a methodology for a better estimation of assistance levels based on real parameters of each cyclist. I leave the link in case it can be useful to you.

Orbea Gain D50 ( User learning and experiences )​

PC Dashboard does not show me on arrival / return:
"Level of assistance" and "Power consummed".
Can you advise me where I am making a mistake after connecting MySmartbike?
"Heart rate" - I already know how to activate from the post I read here.
About the new app: I use a Polar watch and Polar Flow app, and the new My Smartbike app I is still being tested out of curiosity.
I hate with this new app. only a long time after switching on and connecting to the bike. He searched for the GPS signal for a long time.

Thank you

Attachments

• MySmartbike.jpg
    MySmartbike.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 202
PC Dashboard does not show me on arrival / return:
"Level of assistance" and "Power consummed".
Can you advise me where I am making a mistake after connecting MySmartbike?
"Heart rate" - I already know how to activate from the post I read here.
About the new app: I use a Polar watch and Polar Flow app, and the new My Smartbike app I is still being tested out of curiosity.
I hate with this new app. only a long time after switching on and connecting to the bike. He searched for the GPS signal for a long time.

Thank you
Something similar happened to me once. In the middle of the tour I stop to take some photos and have a coffee. After a few minutes the ebike turned off the assistance system, then when I continued with the trip I did not realize that I had to activate the app again. When I got home I only had a HR record for the second part of the tour.
I came to the conclusion that if the app is not activated, we will only have HR records.
Something I don't like about the Mahle assistance system is that if you stop for a few minutes (I haven't counted how many) the system turns itself off, and this affects the data recording in the app.

From another post, I already know how to activate the heart rate, but for others, after activating MySmartbike,
it is always uncertain what will eventually evaluate me - one way and the other. I don't get it and I'm probably
doing something wrong when I'm driving the same circuit.
Sometimes I read during the discussion that it is decisive whether the Pulsar One is switched on first and then the bike or vice versa.
The My Smartbike application needs some modification to simplify the whole process so that to always show all the options
and not just the ones I am forced to set before driving -
(Heart rate activation by swiping the display to the next page - I don't understand why it's not activated all the time?)

Attachments

• Okruhy.jpg
    Okruhy.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 192
From another post, I already know how to activate the heart rate, but for others, after activating MySmartbike,
it is always uncertain what will eventually evaluate me - one way and the other. I don't get it and I'm probably
doing something wrong when I'm driving the same circuit.
Sometimes I read during the discussion that it is decisive whether the Pulsar One is switched on first and then the bike or vice versa.
The My Smartbike application needs some modification to simplify the whole process so that to always show all the options
and not just the ones I am forced to set before driving -
(Heart rate activation by swiping the display to the next page - I don't understand why it's not activated all the time?)
3-I link the Ebike with the Mahle app by pressing the upper red circle in the app
4) Once linked (the circle is now green), I run the app by pressing the lower circle.

3-I link the Ebike with the Mahle app by pressing the upper red circle in the app
4) Once linked (the circle is now green), I run the app by pressing the lower circle.
This application was probably put together by first-year IT students.
I respond to the above instructions.
Why solve No.4) + No.5) + No.6)?
Just No. 3) = go through Ebike with the application - I sit on the bike and go.
When I got back from the ride, every time! there was always something missing in the evaluation of the ride.
I do not understand the complexity of the solution.

Back