What's your opinion on the "Idaho Stop" law?

newts

Region
USA
The Idaho Stop law was enacted in the 80's and allows cyclists to treat a red light as a stop sign and a stop sign as a yield. About a dozen states have enacted one or both of these. I am working to enact it here in New Hampshire and I am curious about your opinion for or against it. Also any experience in your state if you have it.

Except so many cyclists take it a step further and ride through a red light 😠

that is a common reply but meaningless. the laws are for those that will obey them. so disregarding people who disregard the law,
Tell that to all the pedestrians these cyclists always almost run over. The disdain of cyclists by other road users is not unfounded. And as a law-abiding cyclist, I hate being grouped with these lawbreakers.

I am more interested here in the laws and the people who follow them. there will always be those that ignore the law.

...and why I came back to say I favor such law, if the cyclist is mindful of his environment.

For those not abiding by the law, it really doesn't matter what the law is: they'll break it regardless.

That's the whole point of the IS laws for me as it gives more freedom to the cyclist to be responsible for their own safety. Most accidents are at intersections and if you can safely get through them before the cars it is a win for everyone.

The Idaho Stop codifies the behavior of most cyclists anyway. It‘s legalization is spreading around the USA as more folks ride bikes. It is definitely safer when there are clear lines of site but that safety is dependent upon cyclists actually slowing and looking both ways at stop signs and actually pausing or stopping at traffic lights. I am in favor of its codification.

The Idaho Stop is definitely not for cars. In most locales it can be too dangerous. Sadly, many drivers think stop signs are mere suggestions. I am one of those folks who come to a full stop at almost all stop signs when driving a car. Got in an accident once when my the car behind me didn’t stop as I had.

Car drivers who hate that bicycles can use the roads with the same rights-of-way as cars and that cars must respect the space cyclists need for safety will undoubtedy complain when the Idaho Stop for bicycles is codified. Don’t et their bogus arguments or jealousy prevent you from pushing for this reform in your communities.

Tell that to all the pedestrians these cyclists always almost run over. The disdain of cyclists by other road users is not unfounded. And as a law-abiding cyclist, I hate being grouped with these lawbreakers.
There's running red lights, and then there's doing it badly.

Well-behaved women cyclists rarely make history

@Asher, I was thinking about that 'well behaved' concept today regarding a politician who appears to be running on a platform of 'Everyone needs to get into their pre-assigned assigned box and stay put.' I was just at the home of a friend and customer who is gay, his wife is lesbian and they have two wonderful kids together. They have created their own lives and are not about to climb into assigned boxes from the middle of the previous century. Okay, that said, there is no reason to just do things, laws, out of convention just because that is the way it had worked. We can and should innovate. The Idaho Stop law makes good sense in many contexts. It would not work in NYC or other dense, high traffic environments. If there is no one around and there is a four way stop, I will blow through it. If there is a car stopping perpendicularly to my right, I will just ride behind it, instead of having a Mexican standoff about who should go first. Those can last a full minute and represent lost momentum, which is important on a bike. This law balances safety and practicality.

I get shouted at often enough for not paying for a license plate on my bicycle. This law would make it worse. I follow these practices, but not if anybody is looking.

I remember the time before "right turn on red after stop (except in California . It was subject to the same kind of skepticism as this. This sounds like a good idea to me. If things go south the law could be repealed.

Not that cops, at least around here, enforce anything anymore anyway, but this should prevent a zealous cop from writing a ticket for what amounts to sensible behavior.

TT

We are supposed to get that law here. I always stop for a red light on the ebike and proceed if safe to do so. Same with all my bicycles as well. There are intersections on my bike routes that you always wait for the green light because they're dangerous. I just try to be respectful of others and stay safe and alert.

Here that law is mostly for road bike riders. You should have seen the crazy move a fixie rider pulled. Was sure I was about to witness another death! That guy had cat lives or Lucky Charms for breakfast!

The Idaho Stop law was enacted in the 80's and allows cyclists to treat a red light as a stop sign and a stop sign as a yield. About a dozen states have enacted one or both of these. I am working to enact it here in New Hampshire and I am curious about your opinion for or against it. Also any experience in your state if you have it.
I think it depends on traffic volume and location. I am in CA and regularly run through stop signs, but am very aware of where I am and who is around me. As far as lights, I rarely run those-however, if I am the only vehicle in line and there is nobody within a million miles, I may proceed through. It's a tough deal to legislate and could turn into a huge slippy slope. I consider myself a considerate biker and don't like seeing adults on bikes without helmets. But that's just me...

Back