What Do You Do During The Lockdown?

I hated them. The cotters were coming loose too easy, or, on contrary, those could not be removed from the cranks.
Getting the cotters out was usually a challenge, but necessary to service the bottom bracket bearings. Once the bike was left out in the weather the cotters tended to sieze. Park Tool, and others, make a tool that will press these out, if a sharp blow to the partially loosened nut doesn't work.

The rim sizes were also uniquely British. I learned the hard way that American sized tires and tubes would not fit, at least not reliably. Yea for a trained mechanic that could explain away my frustration with this.

One interesting thing is, it's internally geared! I was wondering if switching to a traditional derailer with more rear gears (only one gear on the front) would make it easier to pedal?
The front sprocket is sized for 1/4" wide chain. that has been obsolete since 1985? When I wore out my 1982 5 speed rear sprocket fitting 1/4" chain, nobody ever had another one that I could buy. The 6 speed rear sprocket is 3/32" chain and not compatible with the front sprocket. Parked that 1982 bike & bought a 18 speed (3x6) which before a year broke the rear axle. Don't buy one of those. The 21 speed bikes(3x7) have a thicker rear axle, but the cheap shimanos tend to come unscrewed and drop the balls. I was only 5 miles from home when it happened, fortunately.
The Sturmey Archer 3 speed is 1.0, 1.5:1 and 2.0:1 ratios. Useful for 42 or 36 front sprocket, but the bikes were always sold with 52. I can stand on the pedal 3rd gear and the bike won't move.
If you keep riding the Sturmey Archer hub, put a drop of oil in the hole annually. I did, and my 1966 model was still working fine in 1985 when it was stolen.

Last edited:
The front sprocket is sized for 1/4" wide chain. that has been obsolete since 1985? When I wore out my 1982 5 speed rear sprocket fitting 1/4" chain, nobody ever had another one that I could buy. The 6 speed rear sprocket is 3/32" chain and not compatible with the front sprocket. Parked that 1982 bike & bought a 18 speed (3x6) which before a year broke the rear axle. Don't buy one of those. The 21 speed bikes(3x7) have a thicker rear axle, but the cheap shimanos tend to come unscrewed and drop the balls. I was only 5 miles from home when it happened, fortunately.
The Sturmey Archer 3 speed is 1.0, 1.5:1 and 2.0:1 ratios. Useful for 42 or 36 front sprocket, but the bikes were always sold with 52. I can stand on the pedal 3rd gear and the bike won't move.
Well, then - there goes THAT idea o_O!

Being retired and living in the country on five acres, I'm doing pretty much what I always do with the exception of less going out for stuff. Lots of bike rides and walking. Plenty of projects to do on the farm. I consider myself blessed.

Screenshot_20200430-170254.png

Here is my new cog - it installed easily and from a short test ride, the ratio feels better.

The bike is a Raleigh Sport model, and chain and tires seem to be standard American sizes.

Since my both e-bikes have stuck at respective LBSes for service, I've cooked knedliki (traditional Czech dumplings, the bun variety; the other variety is made of potato). Note I'm Polish not Czech and it was my first time to make that meal :)

1588797757931.png

Those dumplings look just like the ones my mom makes with her pork roast or chicken fricassee.

Unfortunately many parts of my Czech cooking heritage have always eluded me...:(

Giving away my old traditional bike to a friend from Cracow. Doing the basic service myself ;)

A short story: During the Communist times in Poland, we had perhaps only two or three bike factories, of which the ROMET was the largest one. Romet were producing bicycles and mopeds. I used to consecutively ride two Romet bikes, a folder and a low-step one. Currently, Romet is only a brand name exploiting the sentiments. Yes, I bought that Romet Wagant 3.0 back in 2013. I cannot ride it anymore.

1589030907047.png

Last edited:
We're both Pentaxian...
Does this present a problem for you?

A great company with a storied history and probably some of the most loyal users.

But it sure doesn't seem like they are keeping up with the times technologically. I understand that the newest is not always the best and older equipment can perform exquisitely if it has the features and specs the user needs, but when was the last time Pentax upgraded their bodies? And technology is changing so quickly in photography.

Thanks, and that's cool! That's a women's saddle and surprisingly comfortable.
I saw a MTB saddle shootout where the guys were rating it as the most comfortable so I tried it. Glad I did.

I've had a LOT of saddle issues...

Interesting... do you have link to the MTB article or the WTB saddle model?

Cooking this morning. Mom requested some of my double dipped fried chicken. She turns 88 this year, who am I to say no?
I clicked "Love" because of your Mom and of the nice picture. I cannot eat poultry... So not "loved" because of the chicken :)

Getting the calluses back on my fingers with all these guitars around here. Highly enjoyable. The last few days it’s been working out Steve Lukather’s solo from ”Rosanna”. This is going to have to last a good whole to get that right!

I totally relate but I'm afraid my poor wife will never completely understand. Totally to her credit she lets me pretty much noodle as much as I want. I bought her one of those Fender Uke packages hoping she will try her hand. Her latest sign of true devotion is not complaining as I am learning to play slide in std tuneing on my Tri-cone resonator. I could not deal with the current situation without my wife, dog and guitars (in that order) :)

The fried chicken looks wonderful ... care to share your recipe?
No biggie really. The flour dredge includes 1 tsp Kosher salt, 1tsp Paprika, 1/2tsp Seasoned Salt and 1tsp (heaping) Garlic powder.

The trick is to dredge the chicken in the flour mix, and then store for a further at least 30 minutes on wax paper in the fridge. Then dredge the (now much more sticky) chicken pieces a second time just before going into the hot oil.

'Oil' is generic vegetable shortening from Costco. 375degF in an enameled cast iron pot for 12 minutes (temp will drop immediately when chicken goes in, so I up the heat a bit so that it is generally recovered back to ~370 deg at the end of the 12 minutes. I use an infrared non-contact thermometer to monitor temps). I normally only cook 3 pieces at a time.

Sorry you can't eat poultry Stefan, mine gets rave reviews from my family and friends.

Fortunately being retired and with the warmer weather now in Boston, I get out on my bike when weather permits. I’m very blessed that I can ride on rail trails in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Distance is not bad either way. I have a buddy whom I usually go with when his 83 year old body feels like it. If it wasn’t for biking, my life would be so depressing with this semi lockdown. I look forward to riding every time I get a chance.
BTW is it possible to purchase a cart that I can attach to the rear of my bike to give the elderly a slow, but enjoyable rides that do?

Fortunately being retired and with the warmer weather now in Boston, I get out on my bike when weather permits. I’m very blessed that I can ride on rail trails in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Distance is not bad either way. I have a buddy whom I usually go with when his 83 year old body feels like it. If it wasn’t for biking, my life would be so depressing with this semi lockdown. I look forward to riding every time I get a chance.
BTW is it possible to purchase a cart that I can attach to the rear of my bike to give the elderly a slow, but enjoyable rides that do?
you need one of these e- rickshaws!
1593658208339.png

Back