What Do You Do During The Lockdown?

I hunted, in vain, for the neighbor's cat. I like both. The cat is a good mouser, hope he comes home.

Yesterday, rode 5 miles to Okanogan and 5 miles back. I had aired up my tires pretty good and almost lost it in some gravel.

Today, the wind is blowing like crazy, again so maybe I'll finish sewing on the grocery trip panyers. I actually ordered groceries on line and picked them up yesterday, using my pickup, and I parked in the Pickup Only area. Get it?

Reading, music, researching box van conversions and staying away from the "news". We have not been able to ride since self quareteening upon our return to western NC. We are planning a ride next Monday since Sunday is day 14 and final day of our isolation.

I located the kitty. I found him on a lost and found pets facebook page and also found out my wireless easily runs my internet at my neighbor's house. Unfortunately, I was not a member so could not message the finder, but they listed the street they lived on. So, we went to that street and went door to door. It's a small, mostly friendly town and finally, a door I knocked on knew all about the kitty and where the house was. The kitty had been up a tree and was brought down. The woman who posted the facebook blurb, with pictures, was allergic to cats so had called a cat foster place and they had him.

I assume the kitty is home now and might have to go back to the vet as he tore out a couple of stitches on his walk about. He had surgery last week for a broken hip. We do not know what happened to cause that. He often went flying by a window as he jumped off the garage roof onto concrete instead of going back down the tree, but I would think that shoulder problems would be more likely to occur, not hip.

Cat hunting was a welcome distraction.

On one of my last trips, my Lovelec Diadem fell while left on the kickstand in the marketplace of Grójec. That made the display mount break. I admit the Chinese manufacturer concept was good. It was the second display-mount break on that e-bike and in both cases the display survived at the cost of the $4 mount. I must note that the first break happened when I fell with the bike at 19 mph.

So I have replaced the display-mount. Next thing to do will be replacing the kickstand. I've bought Hebie 605, which is a German bipod kickstand. I cannot let my bike fall just because the original kickstand is a rubbish.

1587049681631.png

The German Hebie 605 steel bipod-kickstand is a marvel.

1587051856268.png

1587051957447.png

Last edited:
Stefan, how hard was that kickstand to install? Did you need the help of your brother? :) It looks like it would be good for holding the bike up while lubing the chain, and maybe even for fixing a flat tire. Do you think it would mount on a mid drive bike?

Hi Cowlitz,

Installing the kickstand was about one of the easiest things I have ever done (there is no instruction manual even!). The kickstand is attached to the plate welded into the horizontal triangle of chain-stays behind the bottom bracket. You just pass a large bolt through a hole in the plate and fasten it to the kickstand with the Allen key size 6. For bikes with no plate welded, the kickstand includes an additional tapered plate made of thick aluminium.

That would certainly not fit in the Vado: the chain-stay triangle behind the BB is almost nonexistent there. Look at the picture how it is done on a traditional bike (the silver part at the top is the additional plate of theirs):

1587068130981.png

IMG_20200427_110518150~2.jpg

I'm riding this classic little acoustic 1974 Raleigh (made in England!) 3-speed beast (as far as my knees are concerned) that one of our neighbors gave us around the bike trails in Greensboro, NC. Husband ordered a new sprocket that might make it a bit easier - we shall see. It's better than nothing, I keep telling my poor little knees, and, someday, I'll go home to my La Free
🙏🙏🙏!

Last edited:
Patricia, please share the experience from your rides! I understand it is a steel un-suspended fixie. Does it feel heavy? How do you feel in rough terrain? I simply forgot how it is to ride such a classic bike long time ago...

Do please report PN & source of sprocket PatriciaK. I've a 3 speed Austrian copy, that has 3 speeds, high, rediculous, and you're really using this as a brake, right? a 42 or 38 sprocket would be great, but those obsolete cranks don't have a name as far as I know.
Weight is not an issue, I weigh 4x what the bike weighs.

It's got skinny tires - being what used to be known as an English Racer, so I'm not riding any terrain rougher than roots lifting up pavement (there's quite a bit of that). When that happens, it feels quite stiff!

The bike is light weight - much lighter than my La Free. It is a real beast to pedal, though - even in the easiest gear, any incline stops it in its tracks! The sprocket should change the ratio - I'll let you all know how it works out.

One interesting thing is, it's internally geared! I was wondering if switching to a traditional derailer with more rear gears (only one gear on the front) would make it easier to pedal?

Last edited:
One interesting thing is, it's internally geared! I was wondering if switching to a traditional derailer with more rear gears (only one gear on the front) would make it easier to pedal?
Yes it should, if you could fit the derailleur (I guess you would need a modern wheel with the proper hub to be able to do it). The Shimano Megarange 8-gear cassette is cheap and indeed has a large gear ratio.

I've a 3 speed Austrian copy, that has 3 speeds, high, rediculous, and you're really using this as a brake, right? a 42 or 38 sprocket would be great, but those obsolete cranks don't have a name as far as I know.
PatricaK's classic bike has what are commonly called cottered cranks. Sheldon Brown posted a good article about these some years ago here; https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cotters.html .

I had one of these bikes in school and had the priviledge of working on several of these during my years volunteering at the local 'bicycle kitchen'. The mechanic even showed now to rebuild the 3 speed hub, though I'm sure I couldn't do it now.

Interestingly, you can still buy the crank cotter pins here; https://www.harriscyclery.net/product/generic-9.5-mm-crank-cotter-pin-english-size-each-1584.htm . I suppose that's a testament to the popularity of these classic bikes.

Back