Upgrade of Huffy Oslo folding ebike

ouch harryS! good thing you were able to fix it. a tall friend of mine bought the last one yesterday, but looks like they’ve added 5 more today.

I measured the terrible seatpost for my tall friend since he may want to replace it, and I sure want a better one too. the stock seatpost is 33.9mm x 500mm. looks like Litepro sells a longer 600mm seatpost with a better looking clamp for around $20, I’ll probably try this out.

The Dahon standard seatpost would also fit and is 590mm. They have an extra long 640mm too.

Last edited:
I just got 2 Oslo's. Super deal on ebay. I got them for $350 each after tax. WOOT WOOT
I hate the Pedal Assist so this post was exactly what i was looking for.
Bikes need a good tune-up. One of them constantly is trying to shift.

I replaced the seats already as the stocks were painful, and the seat clamps were garbage.

I also had to degrease and clean the seat posts and handlebar stems as they were not gripping/clamping well and moving all over.

I ordered some cheap $10 thumb throttles which will be here in a few days. I found the Green/Red/Black cable and appears that connector is common with most bike/scooter throttles. Do I just hook up the throttle and im good to go? I love the throttle/display, but im just trying to keep these cheap and simple. Hoping this works as the pedal assist is not consistant and tends to kick on oddly and then carry on too long. just be nicer to control with thumb as well as not pedal at all so i can be extra lazy ;)

Also, i found a fuse holder inside the battery compartment. looks to have come out of the battery from the side. i didn't see a fuse inside nor on the other bike, so im guessing no fuse on this battery pack.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 227
Do I just hook up the throttle and im good to go? I love the throttle/display, but im just trying to keep these cheap and simple. Hoping this works as the pedal assist is not consistant and tends to kick on oddly and then carry on too long.

The throttle I ordered was plug-n-play: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08HYPVC7F
The voltage display and power button was easy to install as well since the Oslo comes with the power button on the handlebar. I reused the connector on the new throttle's voltage and signal wire and both the voltage display and power switch works as intended.

It is definitely a lot better than straight pedal assist. With the throttle, you can control the amount of assistance it gives, whereas default PAS just always max assistance. I usually throttle to get the motor started and then pedal to reduce the PAS lag.

I’m interested in adding wired lighting to my Oslo, would any of you clever folks be able to tell me if the stock controller has connections for lights, and if so what voltage they are? Thank you!

Throttle I got was plug and play.

Pushed green button. Pedall Assist still worked but thumb throttle also worked. Brake power cut off still works.

I did notice, it feels like the power output is a tad less than with Pedal Assist. Could be in my head, or the throttle, or the fact that I am not pedaling. I did some incredibly light ghost pedaling which was putting in nearly no power, and it still seemed to have a higher pull from the motor. GPS speedometer showed a consistant 14.1mph on pedal assist, where thumb throttle only showed 13.7 but less consistant.

Any thoughts? I do have another thumb throttle, since I got 2 for my 2 bikes. Maybe since they are analog, they have a varying degree of "input"?

Chris

Throttle I got was plug and play.

Pushed green button. Pedall Assist still worked but thumb throttle also worked. Brake power cut off still works.

I did notice, it feels like the power output is a tad less than with Pedal Assist. Could be in my head, or the throttle, or the fact that I am not pedaling. I did some incredibly light ghost pedaling which was putting in nearly no power, and it still seemed to have a higher pull from the motor. GPS speedometer showed a consistant 14.1mph on pedal assist, where thumb throttle only showed 13.7 but less consistant.

Any thoughts? I do have another thumb throttle, since I got 2 for my 2 bikes. Maybe since they are analog, they have a varying degree of "input"?

Chris
hi may i know which throttle you got?
and possible can you took some picture of the wiring you did on your huffy oslo...i just brought my and want to add a throttle too.

Done. I had to put in a different PAS sensor. Must have pinched the cable on the Huffy unit. This is the KT LCD9 display. It's my color model and is easy to see. Shows watts, voltage, mileage, speed, distance, but on different screens.

View attachment 132100

The pedal response is far better, but I can't pedal much over 16 mph. The gearing is too high, as is typical of 20" folders with a 14-28 freewheel. I'm not willing to throw another $30 for a DNP 11-28 freewheel yet. Throttle will take me up to 18 mph. The ride seems more forgiving than my other folder, but the tires don't roll like the Schwalbe tires on that bike.

View attachment 132099

The seat has weak springs, and my butt has them fully compressed. All told, it's the usual scenario, Bike needs better tires, better seat and gearing changes. However, the rim brakes seem fine.

The battery is a bit small. I will install a y-cable for an aux battery in parallel if I keep the bike.
hi harry
i really like the throttle you put it there..it like really nice.
may i know more about it?? do i have to add any circuit in order to added it to the bike?

hi may i know which throttle you got?
and possible can you took some picture of the wiring you did on your huffy oslo...i just brought my and want to add a throttle too.

The throttle comes with connector that is standard with scooters, and it directly connects to the connector on the controller.

I picked up 2 of these from Kohls website for 255 each plus tax. It looked like they sold out but they are on the site again. The nice thing was at 255 i also got 50$ in kohls cash so the price was actually closer to 205 plus tax. They are still in fulfillment so hope they actually really have them.

Mine shows up tomorrow from the Kohl's deal; hope it's not damaged I'm scared

Update it arrived today with no frame damage!

However I can't get the battery to charge. It just arcs when I plug it into the wall charger. The wall charger works fine when plugged in by itself but when I follow the directions and connect it to the battery then plug it into the wall nothing lights up and it doesn't seem to be charging. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• C45E4875-ED0D-49D6-8B85-9703F708F571.jpeg
    C45E4875-ED0D-49D6-8B85-9703F708F571.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

The throttle comes with connector that is standard with scooters, and it directly connects to the connector on the controller.
Silly question but how do you get access to the controller? Am I unscrewing the plastic housing to get to it next to where the battery sits or does it pop out easier than that? TIA

The plastic case has two compartments, the big battery part, and a small part (towards the front of the bike) for the controller. There are two screws underneath that hold the cover over the little compartment. I couldn't get to those two screws without unmounting the whole plastic housing though.

The plastic case has two compartments, the big battery part, and a small part (towards the front of the bike) for the controller. There are two screws underneath that hold the cover over the little compartment. I couldn't get to those two screws without unmounting the whole plastic housing though.
Thanks I found the two screws but def having a difficult time unscrewing them with my plus driver; is it a #3 screw in size or smaller if you know by any chance? TIA

Ah I was able to get to it. So guessing it's this three wired plugged cable with black, red, and green/white that I'd plug the throttle into then? I tried to look for the power and voltage display as you'd mention but not sure where those other two wires would replace so that the throttle you used would work with the cut off kill switch design?

Attachments

• B5D2BE88-678E-4717-AA65-9ADCB165AD53.jpeg
    B5D2BE88-678E-4717-AA65-9ADCB165AD53.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Thanks I found the two screws but def having a difficult time unscrewing them with my plus driver; is it a #3 screw in size or smaller if you know by any chance? TIA

Ah I was able to get to it. So guessing it's this three wired plugged cable with black, red, and green/white that I'd plug the throttle into then? I tried to look for the power and voltage display as you'd mention but not sure where those other two wires would replace so that the throttle you used would work with the cut off kill switch design?
DI you solve the battery charge problem? The bike ships with enough charge to run the bike.

Use the existing on/off switch on the bike. Buy a three wire throttle to keep the upgrade simple. There's probably no display that works.

DI you solve the battery charge problem? The bike ships with enough charge to run the bike.

Use the existing on/off switch on the bike. Buy a three wire throttle to keep the upgrade simple. There's probably no display that works.
I did! Had to keep it plugged in for a while and the led on the wall charger finally lit up and it started charging the battery!

Sounds good I will stick with a three wire throttle then. Thanks everyone!

Has anyone dealt with Huffy customer service yet? Just got my bike I ordered from Kohl’s…..Battery arrived in the ON position and was stone dead. Plugged charger in no light came on, but left it plugged in, Red light came on after an hour and turned Green after 4 hours, but battery is still dead. Battery rack was also broken in 4 place, and rear fender was all bent up.……sent email to Huffy, crossing my fingers……still a good deal if Huffy stands by thei warranty.

Has anyone dealt with Huffy customer service yet? Just got my bike I ordered from Kohl’s…..Battery arrived in the ON position and was stone dead. Plugged charger in no light came on, but left it plugged in, Red light came on after an hour and turned Green after 4 hours, but battery is still dead. Battery rack was also broken in 4 place, and rear fender was all bent up.……sent email to Huffy, crossing my fingers……still a good deal if Huffy stands by thei warranty.
did you test the battery or push the button to check the battery level? i had the same issue and kept it plugged in for a while but when i checked the battery is holding a charge...

Tried pressing power level button on battery, but no lights……when I plug the charger in now, green light on charger turns green right away. I’m going to leave plugged in for a longer time…..maybe even with the green light on charger, it may still be giving it a small trickle charge, that may balance out the cells……..Thanks for advice….this is my first Ebike, figured at this price it was a good winter project…. Get it all tweaked up with a throttle for next spring.

Tried pressing power level button on battery, but no lights……when I plug the charger in now, green light on charger turns green right away. I’m going to leave plugged in for a longer time…..maybe even with the green light on charger, it may still be giving it a small trickle charge, that may balance out the cells……..Thanks for advice….this is my first Ebike, figured at this price it was a good winter project…. Get it all tweaked up with a throttle for next spring.
oh that's super weird; i left it charging for about 6-8 hours and then checked the power level button and it lit up fully charged; hope it works out

Back