Tuning Class 3 Civante

LarryLegless

I am looking for a tuning solution that will remove the 28 mph restriction on a Civante

I installed SPeedbox 2.0 for Yamaha and couldn't activate. removed and selling it on eBay.

I now have installed Volspeed V2 Yamaha and can't operate it to change speed setting.
I sent tech support question to Two Wheels Empire and waiting a response.

Anyone have luck derestricting their Civante?

Sounds like a fun project! I don't have any experience tuning Yamaha, but have noticed that many new Bosch ebikes moved the sensor and magnet closer to the rear dropout (mounting the magnet in the disc brake rotor) which seems like it would limit some of the older designs. I wonder if Yamaha is doing similar?

I looked at the discussion under the Speedbox 2.0 on their official site and there was a guy who asked if his Civante could be tuned by Speedbox. According to an answer from their sales manager your Speedbox is probably working just fine but it is not compatible with Civante so that is the reason why it couldn't activate.

I mostly was the one who had contact with Speedbox and Volspeed about their devices working in Yamaha's class 3 Civante. I am still looking at detuning it or getting a different class 3 that I can derestict

As a follow up:
I do just love my Civante, now have 6700 miles on it. Upgraded drivetrain from Shimano Tiagra to Shimano 105, changed the chain ring from 50 to 52. I have a want to derestrict the 28 mph limit in a big time. I only have 1 leg to pedal with, my right leg is amputated above the knee and is limited to pedal power afforded. I am only riding the group A rides wher speeds average pace is 20 mph. What gets frustrating is when the group hits a speed zone and everyone but me is going up to 31 mph in the sprint zone. I can if I push it really hard can get going to 29 mph but peter out in a short time. If I am lucky the group hits a light and I can catch up.
I have tried 2 options both the Speedbox for Yamaha and Volspeed are unable to destrict. They both throw error codes and shut down power assist. I have had contac t with Speedbox developer and they agree their product is unable to destrict the 28 mph Yamaha PW-SE motor. I have started to look at other brands that offer Class 3 28 mph bikes that have a tuning option to destrict. Any Borsch motor bike is out of the question, their motor programming prevents any way to derestict it. I was even considering a Yamaha bike that is class 1 20 mph with uses the same PW0SE motor that the Speedbox for Yamaha is advertized to be able to destrict.
Other bikes I am looking at are the Specialized or Giant, but need a version that has a 250w motor and 500w battery or offers an extended battery option. I bought a second battery for my Civante and can ride longer group A ride distances and still be able to run in Std or High mode to keep up in the pace line, that is till they are exceeding 28 mph. Sorry for the long winded reply, just frustrated with how they restrict an eboke but a regular boke can easily exceed 28 mph with a strong rider.
Anyone recommend another Class 3 28 mph ebike that has powerful motor and larger battery or extender battery that can easily be deresticted?

As a follow up:
I do just love my Civante, now have 6700 miles on it. Upgraded drivetrain from Shimano Tiagra to Shimano 105, changed the chain ring from 50 to 52. I have a want to derestrict the 28 mph limit in a big time. I only have 1 leg to pedal with, my right leg is amputated above the knee and is limited to pedal power afforded. I am only riding the group A rides wher speeds average pace is 20 mph. What gets frustrating is when the group hits a speed zone and everyone but me is going up to 31 mph in the sprint zone. I can if I push it really hard can get going to 29 mph but peter out in a short time. If I am lucky the group hits a light and I can catch up.
I have tried 2 options both the Speedbox for Yamaha and Volspeed are unable to destrict. They both throw error codes and shut down power assist. I have had contac t with Speedbox developer and they agree their product is unable to destrict the 28 mph Yamaha PW-SE motor. I have started to look at other brands that offer Class 3 28 mph bikes that have a tuning option to destrict. Any Borsch motor bike is out of the question, their motor programming prevents any way to derestict it. I was even considering a Yamaha bike that is class 1 20 mph with uses the same PW0SE motor that the Speedbox for Yamaha is advertized to be able to destrict.
Other bikes I am looking at are the Specialized or Giant, but need a version that has a 250w motor and 500w battery or offers an extended battery option. I bought a second battery for my Civante and can ride longer group A ride distances and still be able to run in Std or High mode to keep up in the pace line, that is till they are exceeding 28 mph. Sorry for the long winded reply, just frustrated with how they restrict an eboke but a regular boke can easily exceed 28 mph with a strong rider.
Anyone recommend another Class 3 28 mph ebike that has powerful motor and larger battery or extender battery that can easily be deresticted?

I can confirm that SpeedBox 2.0 for Urban Rush works with my...Urban Rush. So if you want to "downgrade" to a UR to get unlocked assist speeds, that's an option. And your spare battery and other upgrades will transfer right over.

I can confirm that SpeedBox 2.0 for Urban Rush works with my...Urban Rush. So if you want to "downgrade" to a UR to get unlocked assist speeds, that's an option. And your spare battery and other upgrades will transfer right over.
Good to hear. I would like to learn more, UR is a Class 1 20 mph restriction, once you added Speedbox, did it give you power assist up to 32 mph or more? I need to be able to get speed assist up to at least 32

Good to hear. I would like to learn more, UR is a Class 1 20 mph restriction, once you added Speedbox, did it give you power assist up to 32 mph or more? I need to be able to get speed assist up to at least 32
Yes. It's unlimited assist now. I usually don’t ride very fast but I've gotten it to ~38MPH on a very slight downhill and could still feel motor assist. I don't have much flatland around me so the SpeedBox is really only useful to me about 15% of my commute but I'm moving to a slightly less hilly area in a couple of months and it will be a lot more beneficial then.

Back