Giant SyncDrive Pro 2020 "tuning"

unscrew top motor mounting bolts M8 and M6 bolts, loose bottom bolts to drop motor. Won't drop ? It will with little help of wooden wedge on front motor housing bolt bulge and frame. Don't mess up with metal screwdriver, you'll damage frame and wiring,

05.JPG

it's out:

08.jpg

Last edited:
@Stefan, you were there, you know all about it, why are you so impatient? :) :)
so, let find some space .... first make some support for motor, it will take some time now ...
013.jpg

Place the chip below cables inside the battery chamber. I know that the hardest moment just comes...

battery chamber, no go...two thinks I don't like:
under battery there is to much cable tensions...bad job Giant
Liv Vall PRo 201 wiring 02.jpg

I have to connect to yellows connector, upper is a problem, because one side is short - I don't want to pull it out.
Liv Vall PRo 201 wiring 01.jpg

there is enough clearance behind the frame vertical tube, one connector can be there, and I don't want to pull a second back to that space ... do it simple way.

Done !

20210213_180743.jpg

tested, did two test rides, one with max speed set to 45km/h, second to 62km/h (still hitting speed limit..😳)
I't took some time also to close and reassemble all the parts with right torque, M6 11Nm, M8 22Nm, chainring bolt 45Nm and secure with locktite.
Didn't go so fast, It took me 2 hour for wiring, 3 hour total.
So it was a open heart surgery, but you don't need to be a doctor to do it.

Is it worth it ?
Ability to ride our eMTB hybrid over 25km/h is for me priceless. With short 36-11 gearing and 29x2.1 road tire (circumference 2,29m) reaching
komfort 100-110 cadence is a blast. Thats 45-50km/h, speed that makes even "boaring" open road sections fun.
We don't need two separated bikes, just two sets of wheels with road/mtb rims/tyres.
Mission accomplished.
Yes It's worth it.

Last edited:
@Stefan, sorry, no more videos, just photos. Maybe I'll record more if a friend needs help with GIANT FATHOM E+ 1 PRO installation.
So,who survived the first bolt bang with me :), can continue, others please select easier topic :)
With help of Lockring tool i had no trouble to remove chainring bolt, unscrew clockwise ! :

View attachment 79108

then remove plastic under and side cover and its here :) in all its glory:
View attachment 79109
I need to get that Lockring tool... just in case I want to change the front ring to a larger size for a higher top end speed. ;)

just in case I want to change the front ring to a larger size for a higher top end speed.
What is your current size? I think you don't need any special tools if you just want to replace the chainring. (The lockring-tool is for removing the spider). If you buy a chainring of the same BCD but with more teeth, you just unscrew four bolts with an Allen key. The point is, the chainrings made for MTB are rather not bigger than 36T. Also: Do you have a chain-guide on the e-bike you're talking about?

"The devil is in the details" McCorby :) Have you derestricted your e-bike?

I'm full of respect to 2solar. The Giant process is hard. What pleasure it will be to Tomaz's wife to be able to takeover other bikes on road or safely cross intersections! (Because you don't ride fast off-road).

@2solar: A question. I wonder in what respect the V3 is different to V2. If you activate the chip, maximum speed should appear. Is that value written to your Max Speed on the display? (I hate that about V2!) Also: can you really change the Wheel Circumference? (I can but the value is not stored).

Last edited:
tested, did two test rides, one with max speed set to 45km/h, second to 62km/h (still hitting speed limit..😳)
I't took some time also to close and reassemble all the parts with right torque, M6 11Nm, M8 22Nm, chainring bolt 45Nm and secure with locktite.
Didn't go so fast, It took me 2 hour for wiring, 3 hour total.
So it was a open heart surgery, but you don't need to be a doctor to do it.

Is it worth it ?
Ability to ride our eMTB hybrid over 25km/h is for me priceless. With short 36-11 gearing and 29x2.1 road tire (diameter 2,29m) reaching
komfort 100-110 cadence is a blast. Thats 45-50km/h, speed that makes even "boaring" open road sections fun.
We don't need two separated bikes, just two sets of wheels with road/mtb rims/tyres.
Mission accomplished.
Yes It's worth it.
Thank you for the infomation , how did you know what the proper torque to use was ?

Thanks all for great response.
I hope that I managed to show some answers about the installation in new Giant 2021 frames (Vall/Fathom/Explore...). It’s not a job for everyone, but if I raised interest, then I achieved my goal :)

@JustinF: torque is documented in MY20 SERVICE MANUAL, pages 42-44 depending on the motor. I can post link if anyone needs it.

@Stefan: Great tyre and sound videos, can't believe the difference. A have to expand my horizont, I only know Maxxis and Michelin tires.
Good to know (and consider in next investment), but my decision for double wheels is much more complicated than just the volume of the tire :) I not just to picky on motors...I combine 27.5 and 29 wheels due more suitable geometry.

what pleasure it will be to Tomaz's wife to be able to takeover other bikes on road or safely cross intersections!
from my mind to your text, completely 👍

I checked module questions:
V3 module activation/use is the same as you described, and by www.volspeed.de circumference is stored but shows default value:
Die Einstellung des Radumfangs wird schon gespeichert. Es ist nur so, dass immer wieder der im Motor hinterlegte Standardwert angezeigt wird, wenn man das Setup neu ausführt. Somit ist im Nachhinein der eingestellte Wert nicht mehr abrufbar.
basic difference betven V2 and V3 should be only in supported modes and models:
Neben der Unterstützung für das Modelljahr 2021 werden nun nicht mehr nur Bikes mit 25km/h ab Werk, sondern auch Bikes mit 20, 32 und 45km/h unterstützt, siehe auch hier:

Last edited:
@Stefan: Great tyre and sound videos, can't believe the difference. A have to expand my horizont, i only know Maxxis and Michelin tires.
Good to know (and consider in next investment), but my decision for double wheels is much more complicated than just the volume of the tire :) I not just to picky on motors...I combine 27.5 and 29 wheels due more suitable geometry.
Thank you for your answers Tomaž! It looks you are an advanced cyclist! (Do you remember to install the magnet in each rear brake rotor?)

Back