Review 2022 Giant Fastroad E+ EX Pro

Sefutau2020

Region
USA
City
Northern VA
As I have done with my other ebikes, I am going to review my 2022 Giant Fastroad E+ EX Pro frame size large. Currently, I have a little over 1200 miles on this bike. First, I love the looks of this bike, call me crazy, but the matte black just looks good. I did add Schwalbe Super Moto X tires (2.4’s), Ergon GP1 grips, and a pair of Topeak bottle holders. The Fastroad is the lightest of the ebikes I have owned, minus the 2021 Specialized Vado SL 4. It handles very well, and provides a smooth ride on pavement and bike trails. The one complaint I have in reference to the drive train is the 42t crank…its just too small. I would prefer for my riding style, the 48t that is on my Vado 4 or the 46t on the Trek 8s. In addition, the 500 watt battery is okay, but it really needs to be closer to what Bosch and Specialized are doing. If I set the assist for 50%, I can get roughly 75 to 80 miles out of a full charge. Using the 100% default ECO setting yields 45 to 50 miles of total range per charge. What I have noticed with this particular motor, the Syncdrive Pro is that it is strong, but not as punchy as the Bosch motor. After the 3rd setting (Active) on the Syncdrive, you really can’t tell much difference in the power increase, even at the max Turbo setting. Overall, I still enjoy riding the Fastroad.

Yet, there are some issues. There are still random shutoffs while riding, not as many as in the beginning of ownership, but enough to make it annoying, and embarrassing for a product that cost $4300 dollars (US). Also, lately, the battery will not charge fully. It stops between 94% or 96%, then I unplug the cord, plug it back in….and surprise, it finishes charging to 100%. This is also annoying, because this action never happens with Specialized or Trek, and those bikes have double the mileage of this one. The LBS advised me to make sure I was charging in a warm place, etc….but when I stated…”well, the other bikes I own from other manufacturers, don’t seem to have this issue, and they are side by side with the Giant”…there are crickets in response. In higher assist modes, 200% and above, the power from the motor goes in and out, as if it were hunting for the right assist level.

Pros:
  • Lightweight
  • Powerful motor
  • Great handling
  • Aesthetics
Cons:
  • Random shutoffs while riding
  • Charging issues
  • Power surges while riding in higher assist levels
  • 11-36 casette
  • 500 watt battery
  • 42t crankset
Overall, this is a good product, and I enjoy the riding feel and handling. I would characterize the handling as sporty and confident. If I would compare it to the Specialized Vado 4, even though the Vado is less powerful with 70nm of torque, I would choose the Vado. It’s cheaper, has a bigger battery, and never has issues. In its current setup, I would not buy the Giant again.

20221014_114643.jpg

A nice review, @Sefutau2020! Let me make some comments.

The chainring. I think it is possible to replace it with a far bigger one if the chain-stay would not prevent doing that. It is probably a 104 BCD, 4-hole ring that is easy to obtain.
e.g., https://garbaruk.com/104-bcd-round.html

The battery. Giant has announced a new 800 Wh battery. I am, however, afraid it only fits the bottom loaded Giant e-MTBs. Your range on the 500 Wh battery is impressive indeed!

the Syncdrive Pro is that it is strong, but not as punchy as the Bosch motor
I owned a 2020 Trance E+ 2 Pro with Syncdrive Pro (it was the Yamaha PW-X2 then; yours might be PW-X3). The motor felt very punchy on my e-MTB. Perhaps because that was an e-MTB?

Also, lately, the battery will not charge fully. It stops between 94% or 96%, then I unplug the cord, plug it back in….and surprise, it finishes charging to 100%.
Very well known behaviour. At least there is an option to only charge to 60% for the battery storage.

There are still random shutoffs while riding, not as many as in the beginning of ownership, but enough to make it annoying
Never had it on the Trance E+. On the other hand, Giant e-bikes are more susceptible to rain (and other forms of water/moisture) than, say, Specialized.

Having said the above: I standardized on Specialized e-bikes. My brother has got my Trance E+ and he maintains that e-bike at a high level :) He had several issues though. Still, almost 10,000 miles on the odometer! @RabH rides a Giant road e-bike and he has even more impressive mileage!

Right. I think Giant is okay with this particular model, but when you own several e-bikes simultaneously, it lends itself to real world testing/evaluation. Giant as a company have been very responsive to my inquiries, but it is hard to ignore that two manufacturers (Trek and Specialized) have ZERO problems and double the mileage. The charging issue I can sort of deal with, but the sudden and random shutoffs can be dangerous, depending on when it occurs...climbing a hill, starting off in traffic, etc.

A nice review, @Sefutau2020! Let me make some comments.

The chainring. I think it is possible to replace it with a far bigger one if the chain-stay would not prevent doing that. It is probably a 104 BCD, 4-hole ring that is easy to obtain.
e.g., https://garbaruk.com/104-bcd-round.html

The battery. Giant has announced a new 800 Wh battery. I am, however, afraid it only fits the bottom loaded Giant e-MTBs. Your range on the 500 Wh battery is impressive indeed!

I owned a 2020 Trance E+ 2 Pro with Syncdrive Pro (it was the Yamaha PW-X2 then; yours might be PW-X3). The motor felt very punchy on my e-MTB. Perhaps because that was an e-MTB?

Very well known behaviour. At least there is an option to only charge to 60% for the battery storage.

Never had it on the Trance E+. On the other hand, Giant e-bikes are more susceptible to rain (and other forms of water/moisture) than, say, Specialized.

Having said the above: I standardized on Specialized e-bikes. My brother has got my Trance E+ and he maintains that e-bike at a high level :) He had several issues though. Still, almost 10,000 miles on the odometer! @RabH rides a Giant road e-bike and he has even more impressive mileage!
Reference the chainring, I am not sure there is enough clearance for an upgrade. It is pretty tight. I also saw another review on the internet, where another owner mentioned trying to upgrade his chainring to a 46t and it was not possible. Still, I might take it in to the LBS to see what they recommend. Thanks for the information and sharing your thoughts. Always appreciated. 😊

Back