Tuning for Yamaha branded bikes? (2019 Urban Rush spec) **solved**

Hi Guys,

I also have a Yamaha bike with PW-X2 motor. I am not particularly interested in derestricting it (I have another bike which is not restricted to start with, and street legal too), but ...
1. I can confirm my bike has the same odd connectors which are similar to but not the same as JST JWPF connectors. (The sensor one is JWPF, just not the display one). This is an issue for me because my motor has no light output and I want to steal power from the display for a light. It should have enough since it has USB out anyway, but it would be cleaner to wire it this way instead of plugging the light into the USB all the time which is messy and not waterproof. Since I don't know the maker of the connector used, I am not sure where to buy them, and I don't want to hack into the existing cables while it is still in warranty.
2. Since connecting the tuning device would almost certainly void the warranty anyway, you could just cut off the oddball connectors and solder standard JWPF connectors on, and then your tuning device would fit, at least physically. Those connectors are not so expensive.
3. As mentioned in the post below, you only need to change the magnet wheel if you really want to tune your bike.
Hub style sensors are the norm in Japan, so this has been pretty much common knowledge for a long time. I don't know why I just now thought to mention it.

I literally watched a video on youtube where someone built a replacement wheel out of parts from the dollar store.
Or.. people sell them on Yahoo, etc. Example:

Another think I have seen people do is relocate the hub sensor to read from the spokes instead and then put magnets on the spokes instead of the hub. I suppose you could even 3d print a sensor holder or something - but I suppose the hub placement is better for avoiding stuff if you really will use it for mountain biking.

(Again, though, probably better just to buy a street legal fast ebike if that's what you want just because of the hassle. If I modded by Yamaha, then it would be illegal unless I installed a mirror, turn signals, brake lights, etc., etc., and then got it registered, which would be a pain since it doesn't have a VIN, unlike fast ebikes).

Last edited:
Back