Tip for Theft or how I got some peace of mind

I agree it's not THE solution, but it adds to it. A $20 (CAD) has given me some confidence while parking my 5k ebike. Sometimes you have to do 'something fast,' like getting money from a machine or dropping a letter on a mailbox, whatever, and you don't do it because, well, it's a pain to secure your bike even for less than that one min you'll be away. So I got this little box, which is a simple alarm. It's permanently attached to the frame, controlled with wireless remote control. So I park, arm the alarm, do whatever I need, and that's it. If the bike is just touched, the alarm will go off for 3 seconds and stop. A second touch will trigger the alarm for a full 30 seconds. And it's LOUD! (130dB.) Yes, I agree, it's not a lock, and it won't replace a lock. However, it does what any alarm does: DETERRENT. The potential thief should have quite a nerve to keep working on the lock while the thing is howling. I got it from Amazon Canada (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0734QN8KR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). BTW, it's waterproof.

I agree it's not THE solution, but it adds to it. A $20 (CAD) has given me some confidence while parking my 5k ebike. Sometimes you have to do 'something fast,' like getting money from a machine or dropping a letter on a mailbox, whatever, and you don't do it because, well, it's a pain to secure your bike even for less than that one min you'll be away. So I got this little box, which is a simple alarm. It's permanently attached to the frame, controlled with wireless remote control. So I park, arm the alarm, do whatever I need, and that's it. If the bike is just touched, the alarm will go off for 3 seconds and stop. A second touch will trigger the alarm for a full 30 seconds. And it's LOUD! (130dB.) Yes, I agree, it's not a lock, and it won't replace a lock. However, it does what any alarm does: DETERRENT. The potential thief should have quite a nerve to keep working on the lock while the thing is howling. I got it from Amazon Canada (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0734QN8KR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). BTW, it's waterproof.

Watched a YouTube video on this device. It’s incredibly loud! May consider getting this device.

This device has been mentioned favorably several times in other threads. I have one and it is incredibly loud for its size. I use it on the bike and on my vehicle when the bikes are loaded on the rack. Great product if set up properly.

Takes 7-9seconds to put this beast On.

12lb/300$ lock,sec rateinG 20 out of 20.

In A crowded place, with a camera or two, preferably in front of a big store/police station , nobody has the nerve to pull out a grinder and take it off.

Attachments

• B33E8DB6-7089-427F-86ED-0BFC38009F8A.jpeg
    B33E8DB6-7089-427F-86ED-0BFC38009F8A.jpeg
    733.5 KB · Views: 621
I like it. Add a NRA (National Rifle Assocation) sticker someplace obvious to remind the thief that some folks are armed and crazy and you should be OK in most parts of the USA...

I agree this alarm is a good theft deterrent... I always use it in combination with a folding lock unless I bring my bike into the store.

Does it make a loud sound when arming the device (as in, "hello i'm here")?
Does anyone know the logic of how it re-acts to warning, alarm & reset eg:
If it detects movement and sounds off a warning is there a time period or reset period between warning & full alarm.
When in full warning alarm mode does it last say 30 or 60 seconds and then reset?
Reason i ask is i've purchased similar devices from China and sometimes it doesn't fully reset itself & sometimes it's logic get's questionable with a low battery.

Can't the thief just clip off the zip ties and throw away the alarm and ride away?
1592714214217.png

Of course they can, but all the while the alarm is sounding. There is nothing out there or anything that a thief can not get. It is a deterrent period.

Can't the thief just clip off the zip ties and throw away the alarm and ride away?
View attachment 56234

Although this alarm can be used by itself, it is really meant to be used with some sort of locking system. A thief could easily remove the alarm but in doing so, will call attention to himself. It would take a really brazen thief to hang around and work on disabling a lock. Meanwhile, a witness could get a description or at least report what direction he went.

No alarm, lock or GPS tracker is a perfect solution by itself but when used in combination, can be quite effective. No security system will stop a determined professional thief. The more difficult & time consuming you make it, the more likely the thief will move on to an easier target.

I have this alarm jammed in underneath the seat. It is so tight in there that I had to remove the back cover, but that doesn't affect the alarm. It works great, but when the batteries were dying, it started chirping on a ride. Then there I was at the side of the trail telling the alarm to shut up while dismantling the seat to remove the batteries. No way could a thief easily get at it to disable the alarm. I highly recommend this little unit. Makes you jump when you forget you've armed it, let me tell you!

I just ordered one on amazon too :) Seemed like a smart investment!

Good for you Jan, a smart inexpensive investment. Always try to keep the bike within earshot. This way if you hear the chirp, it’s time to react. Even with a stand alone lock, it can be carried away. With an alarm, at least you’ll get a warning. Like any other device, it’s just a deterrent.

Back