Stromer ST2 Firmware Update

Cory151

Riding to work this morning I noticed there was a message on the Omni screen asking if I wanted to update?

I went ahead and did it, and it said do not removed the battery or attempt to turn off. It then fired back up flashed a drive error I hit ok and it cleared itself.

Having not riden the bike yet (as I arrived at work) I noticed a little cell phone signal strength indicator now resides on the home screen of the Omni.

Forgive me if this had been posted elsewhere, just wondering what other ST2 owners notice about there update.

Yup, mine happened 3 days ago.
Now, OMNI looks like a phone screen from 2005's. Very cool to see this on a bicycle. I think we should rename this ST2D :) like P85D

New display.JPG Update.JPG

Same thing .. after Update ..... It then fired back up flashed a drive error I hit ok and it cleared itself. Seems to run fine.

Riding to work this morning I noticed there was a message on the Omni screen asking if I wanted to update?

I went ahead and did it, and it said do not removed the battery or attempt to turn off. It then fired back up flashed a drive error I hit ok and it cleared itself.

Having not riden the bike yet (as I arrived at work) I noticed a little cell phone signal strength indicator now resides on the home screen of the Omni.

Forgive me if this had been posted elsewhere, just wondering what other ST2 owners notice about there update.
Yup, mine happened 3 days ago.
Now, OMNI looks like a phone screen from 2005's. Very cool to see this on a bicycle. I think we should rename this ST2D :) like P85D

View attachment 2880 View attachment 2881
I am a new ST2 owner I've put already 300 miles on the bike so for love everything. However yesterday I went on a 40 mile ride and for some reason the bike would not come out of sleep mode if there I had to stop for about 20 minutes to take a break
Had to pull battery to get it back on. Once on the battery would not receive network connection could not move the control midas or plus button to indicate on the screen what position I was in wanted to know if anybody's been having this issue Stromers telling me they have to download another version of my firmware but the bike will not connect to Stromer Network

Also the bike will not switch on from the button on the bottom of the controller I have to pull the battery to start the bike up

Just want to know if anybody's having these issues thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 446
I am a new ST2 owner I've put already 300 miles on the bike so for love everything. However yesterday I went on a 40 mile ride and for some reason the bike would not come out of sleep mode if there I had to stop for about 20 minutes to take a break
Had to pull battery to get it back on. Once on the battery would not receive network connection could not move the control midas or plus button to indicate on the screen what position I was in wanted to know if anybody's been having this issue Stromers telling me they have to download another version of my firmware but the bike will not connect to Stromer Network

Also the bike will not switch on from the button on the bottom of the controller I have to pull the battery to start the bike up

Did you register the bike with Stromer, does your Stromer app work for you?

I would take it to the dealer you got it from and let them work it out. Call Stromer and give them the contact info for the dealer.

I've never had my battery out. In fact ive never left the house with the battery key.

I would take it to the dealer you got it from and let them work it out. Call Stromer and give them the contact info for the dealer.

I've never had my battery out. In fact ive never left the house with the battery key.
Yep did all of that
Just did a reset to factory setting no chance other than now stuck in #3 setting dealer can't do anymore
Stromer closed till Tues so no bike rides this weekend thank you

Yep did all of that
Just did a reset to factory setting no chance other than now stuck in #3 setting dealer can't do anymore
Stromer closed till Tues so no bike rides this weekend thank you

Do you live away from cell coverage?

Yes, this also happened to me this holiday weekend for the first time as a matter of fact. Yesterday, I went to ride it around, and when I started pedaling I wasn't getting any assist. Checked the screen, said I was on 3, so I tried "-" down to 2. This actually caused all of the power numbers on the screen to disappear (so instead of 1 2* 3, it was just nothing). Still no assist, and pressing the +/- buttons did nothing. I tried powering off the unit by holding down the power button, and this actually caused it to lock up. The screen stayed on bright, with nothing on it, and the headlight and LED array on the front would flash every once in a while.

Had to pull the battery fully out to get this to work again. After doing that, everything seemed to be OK. I was able to ride it yesterday with no issues. However, this morning, it did the exact same thing and I had to do the same song and dance to make it work. While it's nice that there is a workaround at the moment, this is actually quite troubling. If I was out without my battery key, I'd be SOL if it fully locked up on me. At least with it being in "mystery" mode, I can ride it as a regular 20 speed.

The only thing that I've done to it lately was to update it via the phone app to have it auto-lock after 3 minutes of idle time. I'm not sure if this specifically has to do with that setting, or if there is something fundamentally fubar'd with the phone->bike update process these days that screws up the bike.

At any rate, you'd hope for a little better software quality control for a $7000 piece of equipment.

Yes, this also happened to me this holiday weekend for the first time as a matter of fact. Yesterday, I went to ride it around, and when I started pedaling I wasn't getting any assist. Checked the screen, said I was on 3, so I tried "-" down to 2. This actually caused all of the power numbers on the screen to disappear (so instead of 1 2* 3, it was just nothing). Still no assist, and pressing the +/- buttons did nothing. I tried powering off the unit by holding down the power button, and this actually caused it to lock up. The screen stayed on bright, with nothing on it, and the headlight and LED array on the front would flash every once in a while.

Had to pull the battery fully out to get this to work again. After doing that, everything seemed to be OK. I was able to ride it yesterday with no issues. However, this morning, it did the exact same thing and I had to do the same song and dance to make it work. While it's nice that there is a workaround at the moment, this is actually quite troubling. If I was out without my battery key, I'd be SOL if it fully locked up on me. At least with it being in "mystery" mode, I can ride it as a regular 20 speed.

The only thing that I've done to it lately was to update it via the phone app to have it auto-lock after 3 minutes of idle time. I'm not sure if this specifically has to do with that setting, or if there is something fundamentally fubar'd with the phone->bike update process these days that screws up the bike.

At any rate, you'd hope for a little better software quality control for a $7000 piece of equipment.
Yes ChicagoEBiker, do you use apple app or android?

Last edited:
No never had and issue with signal since I have had the ST2. Must be faulty controller will see what Stromer has to say on Tuesday. Hope you enjoy the holiday weekend!!
What app are you using Apple or Android with the bike?

That below is from the Stromer Site. I could not paste a link, or I would have. They had another update last month as well and I am confident they are on top of it, although frustrating when you can't use your bike when desired. General Stability Improvements is noted in the update, without specifics given, but this may remedy problem.

I am still wondering if the problem could be driven by the IOS platform used with Omni as they interact. I do not know if the code has the ability to cause issue or if it is a hardware BIOS issue.

It may be able to be isolated to a specific App type or maybe not.

SOFTWARE RELEASES
SOFTWARE UPDATE

You will find below a summary of the most important changes to the ST2 firmware. You can have the currently installed firmware version displayed via the menu as follows: MENU/SYSTEM/ABOUT

SUI FW = Firmware of touchscreen
TNT FW = Firmware of communication module

To enable your ST2 to receive a firmware update, switch it on. The ST2 will need good cell network reception for at least ten minutes. If you press the OFF switch on the ST2 touchscreen after this period, a dialog window appears. Here you can choose whether to install the update immediately YES or later NO. You can install the update immediately or postpone installation of the update up to seven times. You will then have to install it.

SUI FW 1.5.0 - May 19, 2015

• Optimization of communication when ST2 is switched on:
  1. Position is updated every 10 minutes
  2. Status is updated every 10 minutes
  • Optimized energy management when locked
  1. Reduced energy demand when locked
  2. More accurate indication of the battery charge level after unlocking
  3. Bike flashes only for the first 5 minutes after locking
  • New error handling:
  1. Smartphone recharged at the USB charging socket without generating an OMNI error
  2. General stability improvements

That below is from the Stromer Site. I could not paste a link, or I would have. They had another update last month as well and I am confident they are on top of it, although frustrating when you can't use your bike when desired. General Stability Improvements is noted in the update, without specifics given, but this may remedy problem.

I am still wondering if the problem could be driven by the IOS platform used with Omni as they interact. I do not know if the code has the ability to cause issue or if it is a hardware BIOS issue.

SOFTWARE RELEASES
SOFTWARE UPDATE

You will find below a summary of the most important changes to the ST2 firmware. You can have the currently installed firmware version displayed via the menu as follows: MENU/SYSTEM/ABOUT

To enable your ST2 to receive a firmware update, switch it on. The ST2 will need good cell network reception for at least ten minutes. If you press the OFF switch on the ST2 touchscreen after this period, a dialog window appears. Here you can choose whether to install the update immediately YES or later NO. You can install the update immediately or postpone installation of the update up to seven times. You will then have to install it.

• New error handling:
  1. Smartphone recharged at the USB charging socket without generating an OMNI error
Apple app no issues till now

SOFTWARE RELEASES
SOFTWARE UPDATE

• New error handling:
Problem is is on the controller on the bike does not function I need to pull the battery out and
even after you pull the battery out it's still not functioning .
Not getting any cell service or the "G" in the cell control display without that I cannot get any updates or get Stromer to send a signal into the bike I have calling Stomer all day with NO return call this is very frustrating that I have a dead $7000 bike sitting in my garage
This issue as nothing to do with the app Bike was running perfect before this incident

At first I had the same experience with the after pulling the battery I was able to function 123
still did not appear on the display but I knew by riding the bike what mode I was and then after I got the bike home after a 40 mile trip I restarted the battery to see if it was still if I can get the screen working again and it's now stuck in number three mode will not come out still no display and still have to pull the battery to start the bike up let me know if you get the Stromer I have been trying to get to them all day with no return call

Last edited:
At first I had the same experience with the after pulling the battery I was able to function 123
still did not appear on the display but I knew by riding the bike what mode I was and then after I got the bike home after a 40 mile trip I restarted the battery to see if it was still if I can get the screen working again and it's now stuck in number three mode will not come out still no display and still have to pull the battery to start the bike up let me know if you get the Stromer I have been trying to get to them all day with no return call

Update I just finally got Stromer on the phone the are sending a new control module out for replacement and they are also replacing the motor control of that houses the light switch both items will be replaced will keep all posted on what happens after the replacements go in. Thank you all for your help and support

Dear JFane,

As a rider of the ST2 your issue is such a bummer! I've had a few issues too but worked them out quickly. Thanks for sharing and keeping us up to date.

Best of Luck!
Anthony

Back