[FIXED] Wahoo ELEMNT GPS Bike Computers Have Gone Mad Post The Latest Firmware Update, E-Bike Connection

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
I thought it only happened to me but I could see a "100 miler" of @GuruUno on Strava ridden at improbably high average and max speed, so I know it is a general issue.

My Wahoo ELEMNT Roam v2 went bananas after the latest firmware update, WC35-16242.
  • First, the unit looked as if it was bricked. I resuscitated it by pressing the main switch and the bottom right button for 15 seconds. After the Wahoo logo appeared on the screen, I had to press the main switch shortly to make the device work.
  • The device has charging issues by USB-C. It has really started charging from a powerbank only but not from regular USB-C PD chargers.
  • When connected to a Specialized Turbo e-bike, the Wahoo reports exactly double distance ridden. The reported speed is also far too high.
I tested the issue on a Vado SL and Vado 6.0, and can see Guru has the identical problem with his Bolt v2.

I recommend that any Specialized/Wahoo user make a documented report to Wahoo Fitness, so the manufacturer becomes aware of the issue.

The described issue does not occur when the ELEMNT is not connected to an e-bike.

Here's the answer I got from Wahoo Fitness:

Hey Stefan,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. This is an issue we are aware of and we have opened an internal ticket with our development team to investigate and resolve the problem.

[...]

Be sure to keep your app and device up-to-date to receive the fix, when available.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience and support as we strive to serve you better. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns in the meantime.
Jeremy
Customer Support Coordinator
Wahoo Fitness
www.wahoofitness.com

@GuruUno: I recommend you use the "hamburger menu" in Strava on your computer for your double-distance rides and apply the "Correct distance" option. I'm glad Wahoo has understood the nature of the issue! My yesterdays ride was reported as 234 km, which was just 117 km doubled :)

I have also opened a ticket at wahoo fitness as i also experienced the same thing with my turbo vado 5.0. I also noted that the ODO in MC and Wahoo is the same which puzzles me however pls note that i am totally newbie as i only recently purchased my turbo vado and still trying to figure out things.
Stan

Same fault with my Creo - I opened a ticket with Wahoo and received the same response as Stefan. Hopefully a fix from Wahoo will come soon. In the mean time I removed my Creo from the Wahoo and use my MC to track distance. I upload my rides onto Komoot. I did the exact same route the day before and the day after the last firmware update on my Wahoo. My average speed on the second ride made me smile.

Same fault with my Creo - I opened a ticket with Wahoo and received the same response as Stefan. Hopefully a fix from Wahoo will come soon. In the mean time I removed my Creo from the Wahoo and use my MC to track distance. I upload my rides onto Komoot. I did the exact same route the day before and the day after the last firmware update on my Wahoo. My average speed on the second ride made me smile.
I only removed my Vado SL from a Roam v2 to make sure the GPS distance was reported correctly.
I correct the distance ridden in Strava.

It is, however, depressing to see something like that...
1692030431595.png

Actually, that was 86.55 km ridden at that point with the average speed around 20 km/h.
I also noted that the ODO in MC and Wahoo is the same which puzzles me however pls note that i am totally newbie as i only recently purchased my turbo vado and still trying to figure out things.
Stan
Stan, only the distance ridden as well as the average speed have been affected. The cruising speed and odometer are not affected!

I only removed my Vado SL from a Roam v2 to make sure the GPS distance was reported correctly.
I correct the distance ridden in Strava.

It is, however, depressing to see something like that...
View attachment 160305
Actually, that was 86.55 km ridden at that point with the average speed around 20 km/h.

Stan, only the distance ridden as well as the average speed have been affected. The cruising speed and odometer are not affected!

Got a similar reply from Wahoo also (today):

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. This is an issue we are aware of when a LEV/E-bike is paired and we have opened an internal ticket with our development team to investigate and resolve the problem.

Since we have an open ticket with our development team, all customer service tickets related to the issue (including this one) will be marked as “On-Hold” and merged with the developer ticket to be monitored internally. This process allows us to send automatic notifications to you via email when changes are complete. Full release notes are posted on https://support.wahoofitness.com

Be sure to keep your app and device up-to-date to receive the fix, when available.

Stefan, just made a little trip of 1,1 km according to MC and wahoo recorded it as 2,2 km however when i checked My Rides in MC app it was also recorded as 2.2 km which i donot understand. Any idea why this is.

Thanks for posting this Stefan. I’ve not had an update to the fault request I submitted yet, but hopefully a solution will be identified soon. I‘love you lots continue to use the MC app for ebike specific data and the Roam for everything else.

Sorry for the typo in my last post! Just sent an update request to wahoo tech support, my question was:

Is it possible to rollback the firmware on my device to the last known good which was ELEMNT ROAM WC35-16138 - 27 June, 2023?

I will post the response if and when I get a response.

The update caused me many problems on my first ride last Monday but it worked perfectly on my ride on Thursday, I will see how it goes tomorrow if our crazy winds calm down...

I have the Bolt V2 and my version is WA49-16244

I hope you guys get a fix soon!

EDIT : The problems I had were with version 16242 on my Monday ride, but it worked fine on my Thursday ride! 16244 update was just applied today so I will see how that goes tomorrow if I get out!

Last edited:
The response from Wahoo Tech Support:

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately, our firmware is forward facing only, and we cannot roll back or release back versions.

When a new version with a fix is released, you will receive an automatic update here letting you know.

RabH - This weekend I re synced my Creo to the Wahoo Roam v2, just to see if this would fix the false distance readings…

Unfortunately the same problem - I only completed 51.5 miles and my average speed was not 27.5 mph, the Batt % used was correct at 26%

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 83
The response from Wahoo Tech Support:

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately, our firmware is forward facing only, and we cannot roll back or release back versions.

When a new version with a fix is released, you will receive an automatic update here letting you know.

RabH - This weekend I re synced my Creo to the Wahoo Roam v2, just to see if this would fix the false distance readings…

Unfortunately the same problem - I only completed 51.5 miles and my average speed was not 27.5 mph, the Batt % used was correct at 26%
Mine worked fine again on my Sunday ride, I should have mentioned my bike doesn't sync with the Wahoo! I hope you get a fix soon Rab!

Mine worked fine again on my Sunday ride, I should have mentioned my bike doesn't sync with the Wahoo! I hope you get a fix soon Rab!
I just bought a Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike and had the double ride length problem. I found part of the answer in another forum. I removed all sensors except those on the e-bike and distances now read correctly. However the average speed, and only the average speed, is still doubled. Some success.

Ugh. I’m really itching for this to be resolved, and in my mind all the predictable questions are coming up:
1. Why is it taking so long? It was working before. No doubt it’s more complicated than it looks to an outsider like me, but still…
2. What is their testing process that overlooked this problem in the first place?
3. How much do they care about the e-bike market segment?

Just ranting, I guess.

bobf, I’m with you and understand your frustration on this fault. I moved from Garmin because I liked the extra ebike data the Wahoo gave me. My old Garmin 820 stopped giving me audible alerts with my Garmin Radar. For my needs, the Wahoo was great, until the firmware update that amplifies the distance ridden on my Creo was released. My Creo is a 2021 model that has the old TCU, which does not allow over the air updates. Just a thought, does anyone know if the bug also affects the newer versions of the Creo with the latest version of the TCU?

Back