Maintenance and Fixes of My Vado 6.0

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
My Vado 6.0 has been in use for 44 months. There have been some issues that accumulated in the e-bike (despite the total rebuild from a new frame and motor by Specialized, finalized in January 2023) and needed to be fixed.

The Specialized Multi Stem Replacing the Stock one
I hated too short Reach of my Vado, especially when it was rebuilt with the frame size S instead of M (the other geometry parameters were fine for me!) Eventually, I installed a Specialized Multi Comp Stem (120 mm, -12 degrees). It has turned out I did it wrongly! The Multi Stem is designed the way it has to reside on the top of the steering tube, and then a special asymmetrical cap works as intended. Basically, I should trim the steerer tube for the same forward riding position I intended but can live for several weeks without that operation. At least the stem is now installed as designed!

The L1E TCD-w Saga

My stock Vado controller/display had its base damaged. I had to relocate the display from the original integrated stem mount to an external Garmin mount. I had to temporarily fix the old display to the Garmin mount with a strong tape to be able to ride the Vado!

The L1E Turbo Control Display (wired) for Vado 6.0 is a unique part (part number: S196800024) that acts as a "dongle" to activate the Vado 6.0, or enable its electronics to work. The display is different from any other TCD-w as it has the speedometer hard-coded for each of its 5 display pages; it is the requirement for any European 45 km/h Speed Pedelecs. I could have ordered that part from several online stores but managed the order through Specialized Warsaw (the price was even tad lower than online + shipment; and the LBS is fond of me!)

The product comes as the display connected with the new handlebar remote, and a set to attach Gorilla Glass protector to the display screen.

1688462466624.png

To access the kit connector, you need to remove the battery lock assembly, and ideally, the fork from the head-tube. Fitting the new handlebar remote requires removing all components from the left handlebar of the e-bike.

1688462681478.png

The protecting film on the display reads: 'UPDATE FIRMWARE'. It turned out to be important soon...

As the outcome of the display kit swapping, the Vado has become fully operable but... its functionality turned to something such as Bosch Purion... :D no, Intuvia :D Although everything worked, neither Mission Control nor Wahoo could "see" the e-bike! The Bluetooth pairing worked but the e-bike Bluetooth name was a long series of 000000... instead of the bike serial number! No possibility to use Mission Control, which is the whole essence of the premium Specialized electronics! I decided to ride to Specialized Warsaw on the first working day.

Bike Wash
I have no conditions to wash my e-bikes where I live, and I avoid pressure washing at any cost! Yet, my Vado was terribly dirty after the Mazovian Gravel ultramarathon. I spotted a new modern manual car-wash on my way to the Specialized LBS. The best feature of that new car-wash was a nozzle for "rim & insect clean-up". It delivers a low pressure spray of mild detergent. Then, I rinsed my Vado with water spray from a big distance to reduce the stream pressure. My Vado got totally clean!

Firmware Update
The L1E TCD-w kit was also equipped with an "anti-theft plate", so the display could not be removed just by a quarter turn. I was glad not to install it! Because the Specialized man could easily remove the TCD-w from the Garmin mount and then apply the firmware update with Turbo Studio and a USB cable easily. After the update, my Vado started be seen by the Bluetooth and LEV ANT+ world as designed!

1688463645108.png

The latest version of my Vado 6.0 cockpit.

Specialized Turbo Kickstand
Oh. On one of my recent rides, I let my Vado fall, breaking the original kickstand. With a 26.4 kg (58 lb) e-bike, lack of the kickstand makes the Vado hard to handle! I asked the sales assistant whether he had the kickstand in stock, and yes, he had it! (Not the most expensive of the Specialized-ware) :)

1688463894740.png

It was the last part missing!

Now, I intend to ride my complete Vado 6.0 long and hard! :)

Last edited:
My Vado 6.0 has been in use for 44 months. There have been some issues that accumulated in the e-bike (despite the total rebuild from a new frame and motor by Specialized, finalized in January 2023) and needed to be fixed.

The Specialized Multi Stem Replacing the Stock one
I hated too short Reach of my Vado, especially when it was rebuilt with the frame size S instead of M (the other geometry parameters were fine for me!) Eventually, I installed a Specialized Multi Comp Stem (120 mm, -12 degrees). It has turned out I did it wrongly! The Multi Stem is designed the way it has to reside on the top of the steering tube, and then a special asymmetrical cap works as intended. Basically, I should trim the steerer tube for the same forward riding position I intended but can live for several weeks without that operation. At least the stem is now installed as designed!

The L1E TCD-w Saga

My stock Vado controller/display had its base damaged. I had to relocate the display from the original integrated stem mount to an external Garmin mount. I had to temporarily fix the old display to the Garmin mount with a strong tape to be able to ride the Vado!

The L1E Turbo Control Display (wired) for Vado 6.0 is a unique part (part number: S196800024) that acts as a "dongle" to activate the Vado 6.0, or enable its electronics to work. The display is different from any other TCD-w as it has the speedometer hard-coded for each of its 5 display pages; it is the requirement for any European 45 km/h Speed Pedelecs. I could have ordered that part from several online stores but managed the order through Specialized Warsaw (the price was even tad lower than online + shipment; and the LBS is fond of me!)

The product comes as the display connected with the new handlebar remote, and a set to attach Gorilla Glass protector to the display screen.

View attachment 157347
To access the kit connector, you need to remove the battery lock assembly, and ideally, the fork from the head-tube. Fitting the new handlebar remote requires removing all components from the left handlebar of the e-bike.

View attachment 157348
The protecting film on the display reads: 'UPDATE FIRMWARE'. It turned out to be important soon...

As the outcome of the display kit swapping, the Vado has become fully operable but... its functionality turned to something such as Bosch Purion... :D no, Intuvia :D Although everything worked, neither Mission Control nor Wahoo could "see" the e-bike! The Bluetooth pairing worked but the e-bike Bluetooth name was a long series of 000000... instead of the bike serial number! No possibility to use Mission Control, which is the whole essence of the premium Specialized electronics! I decided to ride to Specialized Warsaw on the first working day.

Bike Wash
I have no conditions to wash my e-bikes where I live, and I avoid pressure washing at any cost! Yet, my Vado was terribly dirty after the Mazovian Gravel ultramarathon. I spotted a new modern manual car-wash on my way to the Specialized LBS. The best feature of that new car-wash was a nozzle for "rim & insect clean-up". It delivers a low pressure spray of mild detergent. Then, I rinsed my Vado with water spray from a big distance to reduce the stream pressure. My Vado got totally clean!

Firmware Update
The L1E TCD-w kit was also equipped with an "anti-theft plate", so the display could not be removed just by a quarter turn. I was glad not to install it! Because the Specialized man could easily remove the TCD-w from the Garmin mount and then apply the firmware update with Turbo Studio and a USB cable easily. After the update, my Vado started be seen by the Bluetooth and LEV ANT+ world as designed!

View attachment 157352
The latest version of my Vado 6.0 cockpit.

Specialized Turbo Kickstand
Oh. On one of my recent rides, I let my Vado fall, breaking the original kickstand. With a 26.4 kg (58 lb) e-bike, lack of the kickstand makes the Vado hard to handle! I asked the sales assistant whether he had the kickstand in stock, and yes, he had it! (Not the most expensive of the Specialized-ware) :)

View attachment 157353
It was the last part missing!

Now, I intend to ride my complete Vado 6.0 long and hard! :)
Long and hard are the most important things :)

Nice write up.

What other maintenance do you do? I presume the fork will need a service at some point? Are you on the original brake pads and chain?

Nice write up.

What other maintenance do you do? I presume the fork will need a service at some point? Are you on the original brake pads and chain?
IMHO the steel coil suspension fork requires no maintenance for many years. The chain has to be replaced after its stretch exceeds the 0.5% mark. It is necessary to protect the expensive cassette against premature wear. Regular degreasing and lubing the chain (at least once a week of riding) is necessary. Brake pads need to be replaced when you feel no resistance on the brake levers or when the stopping power feels weak.

All the above maintenance actions greatly depend on how the e-bike is ridden (a lot or a little; a lot or a little assistance; hills vs a flat area).

What is mandatory is reinflating the tyres at least once a week or before any longer ride.

That stem is interesting! I hope you get it dialed in promptly, @Stefan Mikes

I also find that combo of inner and outer bar ends interesting. After using the inner bar ends, outers hold no interest for me. And a funny note: I bought some SQLab IBE's for my analog bike, they were entirely different than the set you (and I) have. They were horrible: shape is different, the "backs" of them are open/not filled, could not find a comfortable position with them so they were returned.

Ride on!

That stem is interesting! I hope you get it dialed in promptly, @Stefan Mikes
Joe, I cannot wait until my brother finds some time for me again to properly trim the steerer tube, so the stem could be installed as low as possible. Yes, trimming the steerer tube is an irreversible action but I precisely know what I want. I have got fixated on riding my e-bikes in very aggressive forward position, which is not only sporty but also excellent for my body and saving my butt on long rides as well :) As the Multi stem can be installed at many angles, I could go as low as -16 degrees but I just prefer the stem be installed lower instead. Compared, my modified Vado SL gives me even more aggressive riding position than it it doable with the current frame of Vado 6.0!
I also find that combo of inner and outer bar ends interesting. After using the inner bar ends, outers hold no interest for me.
True. Although I admit I miss bar ends on my Vado SL at times. Just to change the hands' position! :)
And a funny note: I bought some SQLab IBE's for my analog bike, they were entirely different than the set you (and I) have. They were horrible: shape is different, the "backs" of them are open/not filled, could not find a comfortable position with them so they were returned.
How come? Was it an older version of IBEs?
Happy and safe rides!

How come? Was it an older version of IBEs?
A different model, and the design is completely different. Since the "back" is open, I found the edges digging into my fingers and the overall feel was disappointing. These were the 411 IBE's, not the 410's that integrate with their grips and which are fully formed.

I hear ya on cutting the steerer - that can be a little disconcerting, but since you know exactly what you want, you're ahead of the game. Just tell your brother to check his measurements several times before cutting!😇

A different model, and the design is completely different. Since the "back" is open, I found the edges digging into my fingers and the overall feel was disappointing. These were the 411 IBE's, not the 410's that integrate with their grips and which are fully formed.
Now I think I understand! You had ordered Innerbarends 411 version 1.0. SQlab must have found the IBEs were far from being ideal, and later they came with the 411 ver 2.0: that is what I use on my Vado 6.0 in connection with Ergon GP2.

By reading your description, I think you are holding the IBEs as if they were handlebar grips. I might be wrong about how you use them but here is a tip: Just use the IBEs as a support for the part of the hand between the thumb and the index finger but rest the most of the palm edge on the handlebar grip, and let your fingers rest on the brake lever. (That is, do not "wrap" the IBE with your fingers!) The role of the IBEs is to set your arms apart at a comfortable distance, let a big part of your torso weight be supported by your arms, and ensure immediate access to brake levers.

I think you are wrapping the IBE with your fingers and that's why you were disappointed with the 411 ver 1.0. I guess the German company realised not everybody had to be aware how to properly hold onto the IBEs and they later changed the design :)

Now I think I understand! You had ordered Innerbarends 411 version 1.0. SQlab must have found the IBEs were far from being ideal, and later they came with the 411 ver 2.0: that is what I use on my Vado 6.0 in connection with Ergon GP2.

By reading your description, I think you are holding the IBEs as if they were handlebar grips. I might be wrong about how you use them but here is a tip: Just use the IBEs as a support for the part of the hand between the thumb and the index finger but rest the most of the palm edge on the handlebar grip, and let your fingers rest on the brake lever. (That is, do not "wrap" the IBE with your fingers!) The role of the IBEs is to set your arms apart at a comfortable distance, let a big part of your torso weight be supported by your arms, and ensure immediate access to brake levers.

I think you are wrapping the IBE with your fingers and that's why you were disappointed with the 411 ver 1.0. I guess the German company realised not everybody had to be aware how to properly hold onto the IBEs and they later changed the design :)
I believe you are correct. Unfortunately there are (many) times I do want to wrap my fingers around it - not death grip, it's just a comfy position for me. And this posture also reinforces some habits I'm trying to practice during all rides, so aside from comfort it also improves my riding/pedaling/effort. I'll see if I can't find some 2.0's.

The Firmware Update Has Worked Better Than I Could Expect!

The original sin of Specialized related only to Euro 45 km/h Vado was mistakenly setting the Wheel Circumference to 2300 mm. Specialized must have planned wider tyres for that specific e-bike but the design department eventually decided to use 51-622 (29x2.0" sharp) wheels. As the 2017 Vado 5.0 and subsequent Vado 6.0 undergo Type Approval, the figure of 2300 mm was hard-coded in the firmware as read-only, and the WhC could not be adjusted by the dealer! That made the speed and distance reported by the Vado completely wrong!

After the dealer applied the latest firmware (of 2021) to my Vado 6.0, it turned out the Wheel Circumference was updated to 2255 mm! The speed and distance reported by my Vado have turned out to be pinpoint accurate on my latest 100 mile ride! For the first time in my Vado history!

Back