specialized creo 2

I picked up a new Creo 2 Comp recently to use as a several-day-a-week commuter bike. I have two routes I can use from home to work and back. One is 16 miles each way, and the other is 23.5 miles each way but a nicer ride. When I searched for this bike in my size, Specialized only showed two available in stores on the East Coast of the U.S. I drove a few hours to a neighboring state, and snagged this one. I also got a range extender battery.

Looking forward to putting it to some regular use.
Nice looking bike and great rack/pannier setup. Did you opt for the QR dropout mounts? I like the versatility of their universal thru axle kit which allows me to fit the rack on to several different bikes.

Could you possibly post a photo if you get a chance? My bike was all set up prior to my collecting it so I never had any input on where the buttons would go.
Sure, one showing the remotes location on the hood and one with my hand in its usual riding position. Where I have them I do no have to adjust my hand to reach the remotes just move my thumb back a bit. This was the recommended location from the bike shop when they asked me where I wanted the remotes to be. You do not have to cut a hole in the hood cover if you just want to try the remote location, it'll work fine. I had to get my defective right shifter replaced so I have tried it both under and poking through the hood cover and I like the extra tactile feel of the button poking through, easier to find with thick gloves on too.

Attachments

• 20240507_152854.jpg
    20240507_152854.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20240507_153522.jpg
    20240507_153522.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 71
Sure, one showing the remotes location on the hood and one with my hand in its usual riding position. Where I have them I do no have to adjust my hand to reach the remotes just move my thumb back a bit. This was the recommended location from the bike shop when they asked me where I wanted the remotes to be. You do not have to cut a hole in the hood cover if you just want to try the remote location, it'll work fine. I had to get my defective right shifter replaced so I have tried it both under and poking through the hood cover and I like the extra tactile feel of the button poking through, easier to find with thick gloves on too.
Thanks for this - IMHO this should be the default setup!

I think they whiffed a little here on the remote buttons. The e-tap shifters are perfect. They should be similarly compact.

Nice looking bike and great rack/pannier setup. Did you opt for the QR dropout mounts? I like the versatility of their universal thru axle kit which allows me to fit the rack on to several different bikes.
I'm using Tailfin's frame mounts that thread directly into the frame and then connecting with the quick releases on the rack. That puts the mounting point up a little higher than the thru axle, which I found preferable. My other two bikes are using QR axles, which makes swapping simple. I also have an older Tailfin carbon rack (the original from Kickstarter), but it doesn't have enough tire clearance to work with the Creo 2.

Last edited:
Has anyone had their Creo 2 (or other ebikes) saying service due unexpectedly early? I got a message on the TCU Mastermind unit today when I turned the bike on for a small ride saying Service Due See App. The App is saying nothing is wrong, no mention of needing a service or any problems, Battery health at 100%. I've only done short rides so the bike has only got 231km on the odometer. I've done a quick search on the forum but not found anything. I wondered if it could be an overly agressive 6 month bed in/check up recommendation but the bikes a couple of months away from being old enough for that. I'll be booking the bike in tomorrow but thought I would ask if any of you wise people have run into the warning message before?

Has anyone had their Creo 2 (or other ebikes) saying service due unexpectedly early? I got a message on the TCU Mastermind unit today when I turned the bike on for a small ride saying Service Due See App. The App is saying nothing is wrong, no mention of needing a service or any problems, Battery health at 100%. I've only done short rides so the bike has only got 231km on the odometer. I've done a quick search on the forum but not found anything. I wondered if it could be an overly agressive 6 month bed in/check up recommendation but the bikes a couple of months away from being old enough for that. I'll be booking the bike in tomorrow but thought I would ask if any of you wise people have run into the warning message before?
Yes, I saw this recently but have been ignoring it since like you, the app says everything is 100%. We had ours Creo 2s serviced after 500+ and were told there was a software update performed. We're over 900 miles now with no issues. I'm going to call our LBS and ask about this message and will report back on what they say. Will be interesting to compare notes.

Attachments

• servicedue.jpg
    servicedue.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 16
Just to add my two cents (I do not own a Creo 2).

In Europe, Specialized treats the warranty as valid if all these conditions have been met:
  • You keep the proof of the purchase (or, your LBS keeps it in the system)
  • You keep the warranty card
  • You have registered your e-bike on Specialized.com
  • You did the "first maintenance service", which should be done by the LBS after 200 km ridden or 6 months of ownership (whichever comes first).
The "service due" might be just the reminder for the latter.

Just to add my two cents (I do not own a Creo 2).

In Europe, Specialized treats the warranty as valid if all these conditions have been met:
  • You keep the proof of the purchase (or, your LBS keeps it in the system)
  • You keep the warranty card
  • You have registered your e-bike on Specialized.com
  • You did the "first maintenance service", which should be done by the LBS after 200 km ridden or 6 months of ownership (whichever comes first).
The "service due" might be just the reminder for the latter.

i think this came up before, but it’s worth nothing that most of the above provisions are illegal in the united states. a manufacture can’t require a paid service to continue honoring a warranty, and you don’t need a warranty card or to register, but you may need a receipt.

interestingly the law was recently amended in california (where specialized is headquartered) to clarify that the warranty begins on the date the product was delivered to you personally, eliminating any confusion about order date vs shipment date vs delivery or pickup date.

i think this came up before, but it’s worth nothing that most of the above provisions are illegal in the united states. a manufacture can’t require a paid service to continue honoring a warranty, and you don’t need a warranty card or to register, but you may need a receipt.

interestingly the law was recently amended in california (where specialized is headquartered) to clarify that the warranty begins on the date the product was delivered to you personally, eliminating any confusion about order date vs shipment date vs delivery or pickup date.
Thank you for the region specific information.
If Specialized really wants to remind the user it is the time for the first checkup and early adjustment, they would not make it different for every region, meseems.

Thanks for all the replies! After some back and forth with Specialzied ridercare got it sorted. The ridercare rep didn't know why the message had popped but cleared it from their system. I think Stefan hit the nail on the head with it being the 4th condition of the European warranty. The bike had just ticked over the 200km ridden mark on its previous ride. I have not yet had 6 weeks of riding time on the bike so it hasn't had it first service.

Thanks for all the replies! After some back and forth with Specialzied ridercare got it sorted. The ridercare rep didn't know why the message had popped but cleared it from their system. I think Stefan hit the nail on the head with it being the 4th condition of the European warranty. The bike had just ticked over the 200km ridden mark on its previous ride. I have not yet had 6 weeks of riding time on the bike so it hasn't had it first service.
@SolarPoweredCyclist, a time for a fun fact now :)

I am a customer of the outstanding Specialized Warsaw LBS. As I was buying my Vado SL, I was being served by their most excellent sales assistant, who briefed me to the warranty terms and mentioned the condition 4: "200 to 500 km or 6 months, whichever comes first". My brother who was together with me looked into the eye of the assistant and with a broad smile said: 'That would be a week for him, eh?" :D I reported for the "first maintenance service" exactly 8 days later with 499.6 km on the odometer :)

Looking at getting RE battery and understand it doesn’t come with the cable to connect it to the bike. Found on Specialized site as a $35 item in different lengths. 145mm,160mm,220mm,285mm lengths. Not finding it on the site and initial google search didn’t clarify. Hoping someone familiar with the setup can advise which length is ‘just right’ for the Creo 2 RE

Last edited:
Looking at getting RE battery and understand it doesn’t come with the cable to connect it to the bike. Found on Specialized site as a $35 item in different lengths. 145mm,160mm,220mm,285mm lengths. Not finding it on the site and initial google search didn’t clarify. Hoping someone familiar with the setup can advise which length is ‘just right’ for the Creo 2 RE
It is usually a 220 mm SL Road Cable. However, I cannot be sure for Creo 2. Why don't you give a Specialized LBS a phone call?

wow, we'll there's the answer - right there on the bike - didn't realize. Thanks!
I didn't notice it at first, only I think when I was trying to fit the RE the first time I didn't notice it when just charging the bike, still have not done a long enough ride to need the RE yet. I went for the Y charging cable too just for ease of charging.

Back