specialized creo 2

Hello...
new here in this forum and since a few weeks owner of a Specialized Creo 2 Expert in size 58.
I´m a mountainbiker since nearly 20 years now and I´m afraid that my rides on my Fuel EXe will be getting significantly less now that I own this incredible new bike;).
I exchanged the dropper and the bar against Roval carbon parts and got rid of the tubes to set up my wheels tubeless.
The only thing I would critizise is the all black paintjob that I find a little bit sad.

@WildPaul Can you explain a little bit what the pointwork of the S-Works model really is? Matte army green with sprinkles?
How do you compare the motor noise of the creo 2 vs the fuel EXe?
I haven’t heard from anyone yet who can directly compare the new SL 1.2 Creo motor with the TQ, both the noise level under similar conditions and the feel of the motor assist. Thanks!

Hey there - sure thing :) I personally love the s-works paint job, which is a matte dark grey with shiny flakes that catch and subtly reflect the light. Not really sure why they call it green, I can't discern any green tint to it at all under any lighting condition 😂

This photo (from the spec website) does the best job of capturing what it really looks like in person, although the flakes are perhaps a bit more shiny than this when they catch the light just right. As you can see in this photo, it's 100% grey with no green to be found anywhere. I also love how the s-works logo is subtly embossed on the side.

View attachment 167378

I've only had the bike for a few months, so I can't speak to how it will hold up long-term, but so far: it hides dirt fairly well, but that's possibly because the matte/speckled pain already looks a bit "dirty" (which I personally like, compared to a full glossy paint job.) Anyway, when I have gotten it dirty it's been trivial to wipe it off and restore it to looking new. I already have a few scratches as well, but they're also pretty hard to see (despite taking some decent falls!) and hidden well by the dark/matte color.

Hope that's helpful!

Interesting! It seems to me that it also depends on how the light falls on the frame.

In this video - for example - when the mechanic puts the bike on the workstand, the paintwork looks like an army green:

But in other picture settings it seems to be a matte grey.

And in the official launch videos from Specialized, when the camera focuses on the motor (after 18 seconds in the video), it also seems to be a green color:

Last edited:
How do you compare the motor noise of the creo 2 vs the fuel EXe?
I haven’t heard from anyone yet who can directly compare the new SL 1.2 Creo motor with the TQ, both the noise level under similar conditions and the feel of the motor assist. Thanks!

I do at least 90 percent of my riding in eco, rarely trail and as good as never in turbo mode. The TQ motor is still a hair quieter than the motor of the Creo 2.
I find the 1.2 motor in similar assist levels a little more powerful compared to the TQ. Both motors feel really natural. In this respect, I would describe the result as balanced.

One reason I believe Spesh went with wider tires is for rider comfort. In order to support the motor and battery and additional weight of this bike, the frame must be built much stiffer. The best way to provide cushion and compliance on a bike is with wide tires set at a medium low pressure. I'd imagine a stiff framed ebike with 28mm tires would be a very harsh ride. I've been riding the 47mm tires on my new Creo 2 Expert on the road for about 180 miles so far and it feels great. Personally I couldn't be happier they went more gravel oriented on this bike. Living in Oregon, USA, I find overall I ride pavement to gravel ratio is about 50/50.

That makes no sense. The only appreciable weight gain on the Creo2 models relative to the non-EVO Creo1 models is from the Creo2’s wheels, tires, and dropper post.

The non-EVO Creo1 models came with 28 & 30mm tires depending on model, with similar weights, and the ride on those is fine.

Photos from today’s ride on the creo 2. Can you tell from the look on my face how much I’m loving it?? 🥰🥰🥰

View attachment 164422
View attachment 164423
View attachment 164424
View attachment 164425
View attachment 164426

Photos from today’s ride on the creo 2. Can you tell from the look on my face how much I’m loving it?? 🥰🥰🥰

View attachment 164422
View attachment 164423
View attachment 164424
View attachment 164425
View attachment 164426
Following in your footsteps there WildPaul, I’ve got mine on order and selling my CREO Expert Carbon EVO. How much weight did you shave off the bike with the mods?

Following in your footsteps there WildPaul, I’ve got mine on order and selling my CREO Expert Carbon EVO. How much weight did you shave off the bike with the mods?
I have the Carbon Comp Creo 2 and I saved nearly 2kg with my mods. Cassette was swapped for Sram pg1210 to Garbaruk 10-50, wheels swapped to Newmen R38 with 28mm tyres, disc rotors swapped to Sram centrelines and tyres to Pirelli Cinturatu. I also removed the dropper and put in Ergon CF3, which really improved the comfort of the bike

I have the Carbon Comp Creo 2 and I saved nearly 2kg with my mods. Cassette was swapped for Sram pg1210 to Garbaruk 10-50, wheels swapped to Newmen R38 with 28mm tyres, disc rotors swapped to Sram centrelines and tyres to Pirelli Cinturatu. I also removed the dropper and put in Ergon CF3, which really improved the comfort of the bike
i'm considering getting this bike and curious if you primarily/exclusively on-road with 28MM tires. with 1x gearing, how does it ride as a road bike? have you done any long endurance rides with it that you could share your experience with the Creo 2?

Just got an email to say my Creo 2 Expert is now ready at local Specialized shop. Really looking forward to getting it but definitely don’t want to getting wet and filthy on it’s first ride! Just had a 15 mile ride today on my belt drive Rohloff and that’s ideal for the wet and dirt in winter…..a quick hose down and that’s all the maintenance done! Roll on spring….. I’m so envious of you guys posting sunny dry pictures.

i'm considering getting this bike and curious if you primarily/exclusively on-road with 28MM tires. with 1x gearing, how does it ride as a road bike? have you done any long endurance rides with it that you could share your experience with the Creo 2?
Not done any really big rides as yet as the winter weather in the UK is against it. I did a 30 mile ride and it was really good. I had the Creo 1 and two has a much finer motor and is a smoother ride. I am still doing a few mods to the bike (tubeless, Garbaruk 46T front chainring), but from the rides I have done so far, it is an excellent road bike. I have also run in power off to see what is rides like. With better weather I have a 100 mile route planned

@Dazmanturbo , appreciate the info, you'll have to share your century-ride experience when you get around to it. What's the reason for moving to the 46T? will that lend more to road-oriented (flatter) vs gravel (climbing hills)? i see many/most 1x gravel oriented specialized bikes, and others, using 40T or 42T

That makes no sense. The only appreciable weight gain on the Creo2 models relative to the non-EVO Creo1 models is from the Creo2’s wheels, tires, and dropper post.

The non-EVO Creo1 models came with 28 & 30mm tires depending on model, with similar weights, and the ride on those is fine.

agree that there is no "need" for larger tires on either creo, the difference between a 15, 25, and 35lb bike isn't all that critical to tire loads. we're talking about 10% of the total load at most. and the frame of the creo 1 and creo 2 are essentially the same weight, as you note!

however, the downtube of either creo is gigantic to house the battery, and of course it connects to the chainstays, seat tube, and head tube, so you've got a very, very, very stiff frame. much more so than anyone would intentionally design a carbon fiber frame, and while i'm certain specialized thinned up the walls as much as is wise (given that the downtube has the battery in it and also has bottle bosses!) the ride is definitely very harsh compared to a super light carbon frame, or even an aero carbon frame.

pairing it with slightly larger tires is smart, IMO, and also "on trend." but they've gone too far for most road riders, 32mm tubeless is probably the sweet spot, IMO.

agree that there is no "need" for larger tires on either creo, the difference between a 15, 25, and 35lb bike isn't all that critical to tire loads. we're talking about 10% of the total load at most. and the frame of the creo 1 and creo 2 are essentially the same weight, as you note!

however, the downtube of either creo is gigantic to house the battery, and of course it connects to the chainstays, seat tube, and head tube, so you've got a very, very, very stiff frame. much more so than anyone would intentionally design a carbon fiber frame, and while i'm certain specialized thinned up the walls as much as is wise (given that the downtube has the battery in it and also has bottle bosses!) the ride is definitely very harsh compared to a super light carbon frame, or even an aero carbon frame.

pairing it with slightly larger tires is smart, IMO, and also "on trend." but they've gone too far for most road riders, 32mm tubeless is probably the sweet spot, IMO.

Hm... I don´t have the feeling that the ride with the Creo 2 is very harsh. But I also can´t compare it with a normal road bike. Next spring I have the chance when I receive my new Roubaix SL8.

the ride is definitely very harsh compared to a super light carbon frame, or even an aero carbon frame.
It was for this reason that I went Diverge over Creo 2. Tested an S-Works Creo 2 against a Diverge Pro and the Diverge was noticeably smoother/more comfortable. C2 had 47 tires, Diverge had 42. Diverge is on the heavier side for its category too.

It was for this reason that I went Diverge over Creo 2. Tested an S-Works Creo 2 against a Diverge Pro and the Diverge was noticeably smoother/more comfortable. C2 had 47 tires, Diverge had 42. Diverge is on the heavier side for its category too.

yep ! e bike riders have often not ridden a truly smooth, ride quality optimized bike. the creo is a really nice bike, i enjoyed mine a LOT, and didn’t think the ride was bad at all…. but ride it back to back with the otherwise very very similar roubaix, or better yet an aethos, and the impact of the beefy frame becomes clear.

Thanks Dazmanturbo, I wonder if I could swap out the stock tires provided with the s works CREO 2 and use 32 mm tires. Would the stock Roval Terra clx wheels be compatible? I’m not sure if crank strike would be an issue.

Thanks Dazmanturbo, I wonder if I could swap out the stock tires provided with the s works CREO 2 and use 32 mm tires. Would the stock Roval Terra clx wheels be compatible? I’m not sure if crank strike would be an issue.
I am running 28mm with zero issue or crank strikes. Provided the Roval's are 100mm from and 142mm rear, they will fit. The Zipps on my Roubaix fitted fine

the terra clx wheels work well with 32mm tires, been running that for a long time,

I´ve seen the S-Works model now in person. My Specialized dealer received one model last week in size 54. It has a really nice paintwork. A dark grey which changes to a dark green towards the area where the motor is and the chainstays. With a hefty price tag on it. Of course ;)

Back