specialized creo 2

New review from Ars Technica: Love at first ride: The Specialized Turbo Creo 2 Comp gravel e-bike

Continuing on the hand comfort theme:

"While the Creo 2 Comp is a compliant ride, it's not always comfortable. Perhaps due to the top tube length (572 mm on a 56 cm frame) being longer than my other bikes, my hands would become numb quicker than on my other bikes. The minimalist Body Geometry Power Sport saddle was not a great solution for my more maximalist backside; I swapped it out with a spare Selle saddle and was much happier. But those are my only complaints about the ride. Whether exploring gravel farm roads in central Illinois or riding through a forest preserve in suburban Chicago, the Specialized always handled the terrain with aplomb."

Late last week I took delivery of an S-Works Creo 2 in size 56. I'm still getting it dialed in, with the help of our awesome local Specialized-owned dealer (Biker's Edge here in CT.) I'll do a full/proper review after a few more weeks of riding, but thought I'd drop a few initial impressions here -

First, for context, I currently own and regularly ride a Vado 5.0 IGH, temporarily owned a Vado 5 SL for a few weeks (before returning it), and have test-ridden many other e-bikes over the past few years. Otherwise my acoustic bike experience is decades old at this point ;-)

So - after just a few dozen miles on the s-works creo 2 over the last few days, first impressions: this is easily the most amazing bike I have ever personally ridden. Which, of course it should be, at over $15k with accessories! Straight from the store, I was a bit underwhelmed - the ride felt harsh, the derailleur was making strange noises under load, the tires felt soggy, the seat was uncomfortable, and my riding position/comfort was off. Here's what it took to get that all sorted:
  • Swapped OEM seat for s-works power with mirror (my personal favorite saddle)
  • Disassembled, re-greased, re-assembled, and re-calibrated the entire groupset
  • Installed 3 supplied spacers to increase stack height by 15mm
  • Replaced OEM dropper post with a roval terra carbon seatpost with 20mm setback
  • Converted tires to tubeless
  • Installed shimano pd-eh500 pedals
After these adjustments, I am very happy to report that I now feel like I'm getting my money's worth (which is really saying something, given the eye-watering price tag!) Of all the changes listed above, I think the seatpost replacement easily had the most impact. Specialized's decision to install a heavy, stiff/uncomfortable, nearly-useless (drop range) seatpost on this otherwise insanely nice carbon bike is just baffling to me. It's just laughably bad, a ridiculously overweight piece of hardware on an otherwise top-spec, superlight machine. I haven't weighed it yet, but I'd guess that replacing the seatpost easily shed a pound, maybe even two - and the roval carbon is SO much more comfortable, while still maintaining that "crisp-but-compliant" carbon feel that matches the bike perfectly.

Ok - so after these adjustments I was finally able to get a few "this feels right now" rides in today and I'm happy to report: this bike is so, so, so good. Like, it's almost hard to describe how good it is. It is an incredibly smooth, supple, and FAST ride. The closest I've ever come to feeling like a bike just disappears underneath me. Half of my rides today were power OFF and astonishingly (for me at least), I still felt like I was one with the wind - this bike wants to GO. I also really love the more relaxed geometry, personally. My back/neck won't let me ever become a super-aero speed demon anyway, so for me the gravel-inspired geometry (together with the electric assist!) is the perfect compromise between something even more upright (i.e. Vado SL) vs a pure acoustic road bike (i.e. Tarmac).

Regarding the 1.2 motor: Riding in eco (currently set to 35/35) feels like MORE than enough assist on this bike. By way of comparison, during my previous rides on an SL 1.1 motor (Vado SL 5.0) I felt like eco/35/35 was just barely enough to compensate for the weight of the bike, and I only started feeling the "benefit" of assistance (that "wind at my back" feeling) when I set power to sport (50/50) or above. With this new 1.2 motor, a setting of eco/35/35 feels equivalent to what sport/50/50+ felt like on the 1.1 motor (with the obvious caveat that the Vado SL 5.0 was probably ~5 pounds heavier than my current creo 2 setup.)

I have yet to do any range tests/calculations, but my guess is that @Stefan Mikes' assertions are correct: IF you dial the assist level on this bike to output similar wattage (equivalent to a lower assist level on this bike vs the SL 1.1 motor), then range will be the same - otherwise I'd assume that range will be reduced compared to the creo 1 at the same settings (although you'll go faster!) There's no magic here - watts are watts after all :) Still, I really like this setup - it means that I can get the same efficiency when I want to use an even lower assist, but then I also have even more power on demand if/when I decide I need it (to catch up to the group, tackle a hill, etc.) In default sport mode on this bike, I quickly reach 28mph on the flats. Turbo is insane, way overpowered for anything other than a super steep incline (and actually I just realized I still have my turbo set to 80/80... I haven't even tried 100/100 yet 😅)

Oh, also, the motor is extremely quiet. It's basically imperceptible to my ears most of the time, with a very soft whir that I can only really hear when going up-hill, slow, with full assist. It is equivalent or maybe even quieter than the 2.2 motor on the Vado 5, and definitely a LOT quieter than the 1.1 motor at all speeds.

That's it for now. I'll report back after a few hundred more miles! Also of course please feel free to hit me up with any questions and I'll do my best to answer. Next big milestone for me is achieving my first century, which I'm planning with some family and friends at next year's Marin Century ride in CA. Hoping this bike can help me get it done!

Best,
Paul
Excellent review! I’ve got the Comp, and all I’ve had to change out was the stem. I’ll almost certainly swap out the wheelset at some point but, in contrast to your experience, I’ve found the dropper very useful on the rides I’ve done in the few weeks I’ve had the bike here in NZ. I’ve taken it through some very rough country, and on some of the rockier, steeper descents I found the dropper gave me just enough of a lower centre of gravity to make a difference. I absolutely love the bike. As for range, on Sunday I rode 110km with 1070m of climbing, and left home with 80% charge. I got home on 3% as I rode without assist on the downhills and anywhere else it didn’t feel necessary. Our longer frequent local road loop is 145km and I’d probably prefer to have the range extender on hand for that.

seems like another reason the creo 2 isnt really an endurance road bike. it’s a gravel bike in almost every way. great for those looking for an e gravel bike :)
It has excelled for me this last few weeks for exactly that.

Attachments

• IMG_5073.jpeg
    IMG_5073.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 840E949C-0E40-4FE0-90DD-DA9402783377.jpeg
    840E949C-0E40-4FE0-90DD-DA9402783377.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4941.jpeg
    IMG_4941.jpeg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 117
Certainly not the S-Works, Paul! :D
I'm teasing a friend to get a Creo 2 Comp :) He is ready to spend 24 k of monetary units for a Diverge, why not 28 k for a Creo 2 Comp? He's not getting any younger! :)
I have shown your happy face to him :)
Both are awesome, but for the same price (and as a former S-Works Diverge owner) I’d definitely get the Creo 2.

gorgeous ride !!! thank you for sharing ! the shades of green are more intense but if i didn’t know better i’d have thought they was the american pacific coast. what type of trees are those conifers?
The UV here is incredibly strong and it makes colours in foliage pop in really weird ways. The bush up there is a mixture of native NZ and managed forest (mostly pine). Rotorua, which is about a 4hr drive north from us, has a huge redwood forest which was planted over a century ago and would remind you a lot of northern CA.

The UV here is incredibly strong and it makes colours in foliage pop in really weird ways. The bush up there is a mixture of native NZ and managed forest (mostly pine). Rotorua, which is about a 4hr drive north from us, has a huge redwood forest which was planted over a century ago and would remind you a lot of northern CA.
ahhhh now it’s clear ! i thought scotland and was having a hard time connecting the photos to what i’ve seen of scotland, which is beautiful in it’s own very different way.

i’ve never been to the north island but had an amazing couple of visits to the south island.

ahhhh now it’s clear ! i thought scotland and was having a hard time connecting the photos to what i’ve seen of scotland, which is beautiful in it’s own very different way.

i’ve never been to the north island but had an amazing couple of visits to the south island.
I really need to change that bio…we have lived in NZ for a long time now!

New review from Ars Technica: Love at first ride: The Specialized Turbo Creo 2 Comp gravel e-bike

Continuing on the hand comfort theme:

"While the Creo 2 Comp is a compliant ride, it's not always comfortable. Perhaps due to the top tube length (572 mm on a 56 cm frame) being longer than my other bikes, my hands would become numb quicker than on my other bikes. The minimalist Body Geometry Power Sport saddle was not a great solution for my more maximalist backside; I swapped it out with a spare Selle saddle and was much happier. But those are my only complaints about the ride. Whether exploring gravel farm roads in central Illinois or riding through a forest preserve in suburban Chicago, the Specialized always handled the terrain with aplomb."
This is my favorite line from the article and is exactly what I did and how I feel:
"If I owned this bike, I’d run it tubeless and drop the tire pressure a few PSI for an even better ride. And who cares if the big tires and lower PSI slow you down—it has a motor."

This is my favorite line from the article and is exactly what I did and how I feel:
"If I owned this bike, I’d run it tubeless and drop the tire pressure a few PSI for an even better ride. And who cares if the big tires and lower PSI slow you down—it has a motor."
I would consider running a bigger tire too. Just bought a Diverge and I absolutely love riding without motor noise, but man when summer hits it’s going to be difficult to commute and run errands.

Seems like it’s taking forever to stock these Creos.

I would consider running a bigger tire too. Just bought a Diverge and I absolutely love riding without motor noise, but man when summer hits it’s going to be difficult to commute and run errands.

Seems like it’s taking forever to stock these Creos.
I love my custom steel frame because of its compliance and incredible feedback I get from the frame with every pedal stroke. It is the first bike I've ever felt get up on "plane" and with a tubeset tuned for my size and mixed terrain riding style. This Creo will never have that compliance loop and is why I will continue ride my steel bike. I had no intentions of buying my first ebike this year but when Gen2 of the Creo was released, I was blown away by the new iteration. And the first ebike I ever rode was when we test rode these. My wife swore we would never need ebikes and then she rode a Creo 2. We each got one and have discovered so many new use cases for it. In some ways the bike has invigorated my desire to get out on days when I might otherwise not which is a huge win. It's just a lot of fun to ride. Long story to say, I knew this bike was in high demand and when the bike shop said they only had one in each size until next year, I believed them and we bought two, a 58 and a 56. I've ridden it about 220 miles so far with longest ride being 35 miles. I just keep telling myself, I bought a $9K ebike at the beginning of winter for next season. It will all be fine.

I love my custom steel frame because of its compliance and incredible feedback I get from the frame with every pedal stroke. It is the first bike I've ever felt get up on "plane" and with a tubeset tuned for my size and mixed terrain riding style. This Creo will never have that compliance loop and is why I will continue ride my steel bike. I had no intentions of buying my first ebike this year but when Gen2 of the Creo was released, I was blown away by the new iteration. And the first ebike I ever rode was when we test rode these. My wife swore we would never need ebikes and then she rode a Creo 2. We each got one and have discovered so many new use cases for it. In some ways the bike has invigorated my desire to get out on days when I might otherwise not which is a huge win. It's just a lot of fun to ride. Long story to say, I knew this bike was in high demand and when the bike shop said they only had one in each size until next year, I believed them and we bought two, a 58 and a 56. I've ridden it about 220 miles so far with longest ride being 35 miles. I just keep telling myself, I bought a $9K ebike at the beginning of winter for next season. It will all be fine.
Smart move! I ended up buying a Haul ST and Diverge at the same time when it was clear the Creo 2 wasn’t an option. It was an awesome pair at first for car-lite living. Had to return the Haul. The loud motor left my ears ringing after rides, really made me miserable. :(
Did not have that problem once in 1300 miles on my first ebike.

Now if I add a Creo 2 it’s almost the same as the Diverge. Steel bike + Creo 2 is a great pair. I really miss the exploring that my ebike inspired. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours. Seems to be the overwhelming consensus. If I can find one, I’ll snag it.

New question--seeking advice.
I've been enjoying this Creo 2 thread and reading about the experiences and insights of all you Creo owners and riders. I've been riding a heavy (50 lb) gravel e-bike for the past five years (a Bulls Grinder EVO with a Bosch Speed motor... the earlier generation with a tiny front chainring that spins 2.5 times with each pedal rotation) and plan to upgrade when the New Year rolls around next week to a Creo 2.

My question revolves around which model to spring for. I like the Expert with its speckled off-white paint job and carbon wheels, but it seems overpriced to me. Besides the wheels, the only upgraded features I can identify are the more customizable FutureShock on the stem, and the Rival groupset, which seems fundamentally identical to the Comp's Apex AXS (except for the snazzier glossy finish on the Rival). It almost seems foolish to pay an extra $2,500 for carbon wheels on an e-bike, especially since Spesh is advertising the set for $750 on its website.

Is there a reasonable case to be made for upgrading to the Expert, or would it just be a dumb decision to spend all that $$ for a little bling? Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks!

New question--seeking advice.
I've been enjoying this Creo 2 thread and reading about the experiences and insights of all you Creo owners and riders. I've been riding a heavy (50 lb) gravel e-bike for the past five years (a Bulls Grinder EVO with a Bosch Speed motor... the earlier generation with a tiny front chainring that spins 2.5 times with each pedal rotation) and plan to upgrade when the New Year rolls around next week to a Creo 2.

My question revolves around which model to spring for. I like the Expert with its speckled off-white paint job and carbon wheels, but it seems overpriced to me. Besides the wheels, the only upgraded features I can identify are the more customizable FutureShock on the stem, and the Rival groupset, which seems fundamentally identical to the Comp's Apex AXS (except for the snazzier glossy finish on the Rival). It almost seems foolish to pay an extra $2,500 for carbon wheels on an e-bike, especially since Spesh is advertising the set for $750 on its website.

Is there a reasonable case to be made for upgrading to the Expert, or would it just be a dumb decision to spend all that $$ for a little bling? Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks!

great choice !

between these two trim levels, there are essentially many very small differences and the two big ones you identified.

the small ones -

future shock in the expert can be adjusted on the fly, rather than by changing springs. i like this a lot, if you ride on smooth roads, especially uphill, in between the gravel you will notice a much more responsive climbing feel out of the saddle with the shock locked down.

expert vs sport saddle - hardly noticeable

pro vs comp stem - saves a few grams

GX vs NX chain - ditto

the two big ones are the wheels and the groupset, consisting of the shifters/brake levers, derailleurs, cassette, chainring. all of those components are just better made, better tolerances, better materials. i’m not a SRAM guy, but those who are say rival is worth the upgrade. i don’t think an entry level group like apex should be on a 5k bike, but that’s common with specialized and SRAM.

the wheels… if you were going to upgrade wheels yourself, you’d go with the comp. carbon wheels on the creo are well worth the upgrade for several reasons, and while the terra C aren’t amazing they’re very nice and 99% of people will never want to upgrade beyond that.

in summary … unless you are planning to upgrade to your personal choice of carbon wheels, get the expert, especially if you like that color better. many people buy the trim level based on the color and switch other components!

great choice !

between these two trim levels, there are essentially many very small differences and the two big ones you identified.
Thanks, mschwett— that was a helpful analysis! I didn’t really understand the FutureShock difference nor that Rival was that much better than Apex. Food for thought!

Thanks, mschwett— that was a helpful analysis! I didn’t really understand the FutureShock difference nor that Rival was that much better than Apex. Food for thought!

+1 on the FutureShock 3.3 on the Expert. It's really nice to dial in the level of compression on the 3.3. Regarding the color, my wife has the white expert which spesh calls something like "black pearl speckle." But I think I like her name for the color better which she calls "mint chip." I've started calling my black one Darth Vader to which she replied, in that case mine is a Stormtrooper.

I went for the Carbon Comp as it was all I could get my hand in here in the UK. I had not used SRAM before and was nervous about the Apex to. However, I can report that bike has been brilliant. The Apex is wirelsss and works flawlessly. After many hours of research, I to found little difference in the groupsets and found not point in upgrading the shifters or derailleur. All carbon Creo 2 have the same frame, so the money you save on the cheaper comp, can buy some tasty upgrades v the expert model and you get exactly what you want. I went for wheels, seatpost (as don't need dropper), cassette tyres. The bike is about perfect

Back