specialized creo 2

@AvalancheRun: I had an afterthough today.

I was about to ride for small grocery shopping, 5 miles one way. There was a massive headwind on my way to the store. I put 60/60% SL assistance to only get at the speed I normally ride my Vado SL unassisted. The SL Turbo allowed me riding at the speed normally achieved with the 60/60% assistance. Now, if there were a massive headwind where you live, would you ride a Gazelle, a Diverge, or a Creo 2? :)

Well - specialized gets my money again! I Plopped down for an Expert. My LBS is giving a decent return on the Creo 1 on trade, so I couldn't refuse.

I used the Creo 1 to much success racing some eGravel events in Colorado - this one looks competitive for that!

Interestingly, it is configured almost identically to how I set up the Creo 1 with the MTB mullet drivetrain.

I would have been on the top of the podium except for the lack of mud clearance for my tires! (I did win my age group). I'll run the new one next year and see how we do!
Congrats. I'm waiting for my LBS to get the Expert in. Deciding if I want to trade my drop bar Vado SL or keep as a 2nd ebike

Well - specialized gets my money again! I Plopped down for an Expert. My LBS is giving a decent return on the Creo 1 on trade, so I couldn't refuse.

I used the Creo 1 to much success racing some eGravel events in Colorado - this one looks competitive for that!

Interestingly, it is configured almost identically to how I set up the Creo 1 with the MTB mullet drivetrain.

I would have been on the top of the podium except for the lack of mud clearance for my tires! (I did win my age group). I'll run the new one next year and see how we do!
I'm curious about the rules for eGravel racing. I mean how do they avoid someone just showing up on a bike with a huge motor and battery beating everyone. Some ebikes are so powerful that they're not a lot different than a really low powered bicycle. What restrictions do they have on bikes for these races?

@AvalancheRun: I had an afterthough today.

I was about to ride for small grocery shopping, 5 miles one way. There was a massive headwind on my way to the store. I put 60/60% SL assistance to only get at the speed I normally ride my Vado SL unassisted. The SL Turbo allowed me riding at the speed normally achieved with the 60/60% assistance. Now, if there were a massive headwind where you live, would you ride a Gazelle, a Diverge, or a Creo 2? :)
Yep, exactly. Any e-bike, basically.
Another thought was just dealing with traffic. On an e-bike you can utilize the torque to scoot away from cars in city riding. It's just more options.

I'm still laboring over this. I can get an Expert Diverge for around half the price of a Comp Creo 2. In tests I have noticed the carbon wheels (Expert level) make quite a noticeable difference to comfort and speed (not as critical to the ebike obviously)

But mostly, acoustic bike in a hot/humid climate = every trip will be sweaty. That can be really limiting.

I'm curious about the rules for eGravel racing. I mean how do they avoid someone just showing up on a bike with a huge motor and battery beating everyone. Some ebikes are so powerful that they're not a lot different than a really low powered bicycle. What restrictions do they have on bikes for these races?
I don't know about the eGravel racing, but I recently had occasion to look at the rules for GNCC eMTB racing (essentially motocross for ebikes). They have it pretty well locked down.

In addition to the rules below, they prohibit any electronic traction assistance and any real time data transmission to/from the bikes. You are allowed 1 battery change over the course of the 1 hour race, and mechanical repairs are allowed in the pits. The bikes are inspected pre race and then impounded for 30 minutes after the race subject to official inspection as well as test rides by other competitors.

B. BICYCLE ELIGIBILITY:
Class 1: Pedal Assist Bicycles with an electric motor Peak Power of <=750 watts that provides motor assistance only when the racer is pedaling and only up to a speed of 20 mph. Approved Drive Units only. Bicycles must remain locked, i.e., no modification of wheel sensor from factory circumference or any other modification to manipulate the factory set speed of the bike.
Production Rule: OEM drive unit and matching frame combination model required (matching year NOT required). Electric conversion kits and after-market frames are prohibited. Once qualified for the meet the bicycle’s frame may not be replaced.
Drive Units: Current list of approved drive units: Bosch, Shimano, Panasonic, Yamaha, Brose and Dyname.

Try a technical ride with the 50 mm droppper on a gravel bike and you will understand. It is not an MTB. It is a gravel bike. All you need is to be able to move the seat so it does not impede your butt movement, and to ride in a lower position if needed. It is not a dropper post that you could slide down and wait for the light change at the intersection either.

It is the gravel bike geometry itself that prevents installing a long travel dropper post.

P.S. I rode a Diverge EVO on a technical singletrack and appreciated the 50 mm travel dropper very much.
I recently purchased my very first ebike the Creo 2 Expert and it is my first bike with a dropper post. Living in Oregon, USA we have a ton of gravel roads and a lot of easy single track that can be mixed into a route. This week I used the dropper while descending a long stretch of single track and it was an absolute game changer. I was able to stay in the drops and maintain a lot more control thereby having a lot more fun. I'm 6'3 tall and steep descents on single track have never been fun for me. That has now changed.

When I called Specialized a few weeks ago, Creo2 Comp were shipping immediately.

One LBS did tell me that they were not expecting bikes that they ordered until 2024.

I ended up buying one in stock at an another LBS.
I purchased mine locally in Oregon. LBS said they have never seen such a strong reaction to a bike like they've seen with the Creo 2. I pulled the trigger on buying my Creo 2 Expert in October after one test ride. Now they are all sold out and aren't expecting any until next year. This is my first ebike and I told myself I'd go for it when the Gen 2 Creo came out. Wow, this bike is a ton of fun to ride and for my first full carbon frame it's quite comfortable.

I don’t know that it’s so much not good for road use, as much as there are probably better choices for pure road riding.

With the capability of taking 700 x 2.2 tires, this stretches the wheelbase as well as fork and chainstay lengths to accommodate the greater diameter wheels, which may make this not as nimble as a frame with a smaller max wheel size. Additionally Specialized recommends against smaller than 700x38 tires on the Creo2 models, so if you prefer 28 or 30 or 32mm tires you’d be going against manuf recommendation.

that said, I don’t have personal experience with a Creo2, so maybe it can perform just fine as a purely road bike. My point is do your research.
One reason I believe Spesh went with wider tires is for rider comfort. In order to support the motor and battery and additional weight of this bike, the frame must be built much stiffer. The best way to provide cushion and compliance on a bike is with wide tires set at a medium low pressure. I'd imagine a stiff framed ebike with 28mm tires would be a very harsh ride. I've been riding the 47mm tires on my new Creo 2 Expert on the road for about 180 miles so far and it feels great. Personally I couldn't be happier they went more gravel oriented on this bike. Living in Oregon, USA, I find overall I ride pavement to gravel ratio is about 50/50.

I have my Creo 2 arriving at the end of the week. I will take out some of the gravel stuff (ie dropper post) and swap to Ergon CF3 seatpost and run my Roubaix wheels on it at 28c to see what it is like. Went for the Comp and worked out I can drop nearly 2kg with some wheel chosen upgrades

I have my Creo 2 arriving at the end of the week. I will take out some of the gravel stuff (ie dropper post) and swap to Ergon CF3 seatpost and run my Roubaix wheels on it at 28c to see what it is like. Went for the Comp and worked out I can drop nearly 2kg with some wheel chosen upgrades
Awesome! But you might want to check on using that tire size. For the Creo 2, the minimum recommended size is 700×38; anything smaller and the BB height gets too low. Worth noting that the original shipped with 38mm tires, but now it ships with 47mm tires. Check out the Bike Rumor review.

Awesome! But you might want to check on using that tire size. For the Creo 2, the minimum recommended size is 700×38; anything smaller and the BB height gets too low. Worth noting that the original shipped with 38mm tires, but now it ships with 47mm tires. Check out the Bike Rumor review.
Yes, I have seen they recommend 38c min, but this is to do with the wheel size reading correctly in the TCU / app. I don't use the app and my speed is read from my Garmin. One I have the bike, I intend to do 3 back to back rides. First on Creo 1, second on Creo 2 as standard and 3rd on Creo 2 with carbon wheels on 28mm. Do 10 miles for each ride and I will have a clear view on how the bike performs. Just swapping the the wheels, tyres skewers and brake discs will drop about 1.2KG

On my creo 2, after making several adjustments, the bike is now one of the most comfortable and compliant I’ve ever ridden. It’s even more comfortable than my full fat Vado 5 with suspension seat and front shocks!

Changes I made that drastically improved comfort:

- Replaced the extremely heavy and uncomfortable dropper post with a roval terra carbon post (biggest improvement)
- S-works pathfinder tubeless tires (running around 45psi, second biggest improvement)
- S-works power mirror saddle (my personal favorite)
- Flipped reversible stem to +6 degree rise (I have a bad back)
- Shimano XTR clipless pedals

After making these changes I was honestly a bit shocked by how compliant and comfortable the ride became. I don’t have a ton of experience with super high-end carbon bikes like this one, but I was expecting there to be some major comfort tradeoffs compared to the plush Vado 5. As it turns out, after these changes the creo 2 has actually become my most comfortable ride.

Paul

View attachment 165607
Hi WildPaul. I’ve just ordered a Creo 2 and am wondering how easy it is to remove the dropper post. Does the control cable disengage at the post end then just pull through from the bars or is it more complicated? Did you do this yourself or have the dealer sort it?
Thanks. Andrew

47 was chosen in large part for comfort since the frame is so stiff. I bet you could add cushcore to smaller tires, with a weight penalty.
That is why I will be using the Ergon CF3 seat post. Split carbon leaf spring give a really nice level on compliance. Got one one my Roubaix and my Creo 1700693981999.png
1700693981999.png

Back