Schwalbe's New for 2020 Hurricane Tires - A Review

This sounds pretty obvious, but lower the pressure until the front feels squirmy when you weight it, then add a couple of psi. The rear should have a few more on top of that. It'll give you a better ride and lower the rolling resistance. Depending on how stiff the casing is, I'd bet you'd be mid 20's or lower with a 2.6. Pump gauges are often inaccurate, so your 30 could be my 25 as well. I have a digital gauge, and my pump runs 4psi low at all pressures.

I was used to running 100+ psi back in my road race days... now I am very comfortable with 25-30 psi on 27.5+2.8" Nobby Nics with my E MTB. ;)

View attachment 48336View attachment 48337
Same here. Seems like the Nic's are commonplace on many stock eMTBs coming off the shelf. I still use mine and I like their ratings and traction while off road. I found that when riding fully inflated on smooth surface, they tend to perform okay, however, it may be better to ride at lower inflation overall.

Same here. Seems like the Nic's are commonplace on many stock eMTBs coming off the shelf. I still use mine and I like their ratings and traction while off road.
I found that when riding fully inflated on a smooth surface, they tend to perform okay, however, it may be better to ride at lower inflation overall.
I agree, and according to Schwalbe... the tires are E-Bike rated with a nice combination of low rolling resistance, high durability, and excellent grip. ;)

1585267839042.png

Last edited:
Just got these tires and combined them with Tubolito Tubes. So far so great.

The nobby nics 2.8 came stock on my hardtail eMTB, and I like them a lot so far, but my riding is 95% road/path so I'm wondering if I should move to a more road-oriented tire when these wear out. I'm also planning to rotate front to rear to maximize useful life before the center blocks get erased. Any other recommendations on a less-aggressive tread in a similar size that will still handle the occasional off-road excursion?

The nobby nics 2.8 came stock on my hardtail eMTB, and I like them a lot so far, but my riding is 95% road/path so I'm wondering if I should move to a more road-oriented tire when these wear out. I'm also planning to rotate front to rear to maximize useful life before the center blocks get erased. Any other recommendations on a less-aggressive tread in a similar size that will still handle the occasional off-road excursion?

I just replaced my 2.8 mud tires with these in the 2.6. I ride pavement, gravel and dirt roads on an eMTB. I am running them tubeless. Once I get a few miles, I will write a review, maybe.

I agree, and according to Schwalbe... the tires are E-Bike rated with a nice combination of low rolling resistance, high durability, and excellent grip. ;)

View attachment 48372

I have these on my eMTB and agree, great tire with one caveat, they are a royal PITA to change/remove from rims since they have such tight tolerances. Use them with inserts or run them tubeless because trying to fix a flat running them with tubes on the trail will be near impossible. Installing my Tannus inserts was extraordinarily difficult at best. Maybe it was just my rims but I've read others say they literally had to cut them off their rims to remove them.

I have these on my eMTB and agree, great tire with one caveat, they are a royal PITA to change/remove from rims since they have such tight tolerances. Use them with inserts or run them tubeless because trying to fix a flat running them with tubes on the trail will be near impossible. Installing my Tannus inserts was extraordinarily difficult at best. Maybe it was just my rims but I've read others say they literally had to cut them off their rims to remove them.
Are the tires wire bead or Kevlar bead?

I have found a great solution to help mount stubborn tires... the tire bead jack is an essential tool.

The pliers make a difficult job very easy and I now carry one with me when I ride... my friends love it. ;)

1588870674188.png
71w7ehr-whl-_ac_sl1500_-jpg.51766

Attachments

• 71w7Ehr-wHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71w7Ehr-wHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,245
Last edited:
I have found a great solution to help mount stubborn tires... the tire bead jack is an essential tool.

The pliers make a difficult job very easy and I now carry one with me when I ride... my friends love it. ;)

View attachment 51765

Thanks for that. I actually have the Kool-Stop jack but it won't fit over my 2.8" tire. That Bikehand model you linked to would probably work since it will accommodate up to 3" tires, and that addresses getting the bead back on the rim. Getting it off isn't much easier and I broke all three of my regular tire levers and had to buy some Gorrilla Force ones.

If somehow I puncture through the tire, Tannus inserts and puncture the tube and the slime fails, my LBS can deal with it.

View attachment 48372
Great. Thanks for that. I was happy when I test rode the Nics and with their performance. I did not have to change them out to a more suitable tire for my riding needs. Seems like they in fact do perform to the standards set by the company. I think I would consider other tires for purchase from this company.

View attachment 51765
Looks like an awesome tool indeed. Have you tried this on knobbies with narrow wheels? We all know how frustrating it is to get the final part of the bead back on the rim. I always had that problem on my non-electric MTB. Very narrow rims with a rather large width tire.

Looks like an awesome tool indeed. Have you tried this on knobbies with narrow wheels? We all know how frustrating it is to get the final part of the bead back on the rim.
I always had that problem on my non-electric MTB. Very narrow rims with a rather large width tire.

Yes, I have used the tool on both narrow and wide rims (17-35mm ID) with a wide range of tire sizes... always worked well with no cursing required. ;)

Yes, I have used the tool on both narrow and wide rims (17-35mm ID) with a wide range of tire sizes... always worked well with no cursing required. ;)
Great news. I was also looking at the "Crankbrothers Speedier Lever" to use in unison with that which looks like a pretty good match. I can only find YT videos using it with narrow race bike tires. Love the no cursing part of the deal. Very cool. 😜

I went with the Marathon Plus a compromise between the Hurricane and Nics. Just didn't want mtb tire. Originally had Kendas which were noisy, slow and just too fat.

Wow, Alaskan, is that really necessary?

I have searched everywhere I know to look including Schwalbe, and retailers selling the tire, and have not found anything other than they are “e-bike ready.”

I’ve had great problems locating Schwalbe tires for the new Onyx hubs/wheels. Originally I wanted the E-Plus. Both Schwalbe and Bike tires Direct have shown slim pickings for my 27.5 rims. I ordered Schwalbe Mondials 2.0 last week. More expensive and slimmer than I wanted.

Back