Schwalbe's New for 2020 Hurricane Tires - A Review

Thanks, onlineaddy, seems like they have multiple sites, even multiple US sites; either that, or stuff shows differently on a tablet vs a computer.

In any case, I wonder what kind of risk I run rolling the Hurricanes on a bike with the Gen4 Performance Speed motor. I wonder what diminishes their speed rating.

Thanks, onlineaddy, seems like they have multiple sites, even multiple US sites; either that, or stuff shows differently on a tablet vs a computer.

In any case, I wonder what kind of risk I run rolling the Hurricanes on a bike with the Gen4 Performance Speed motor. I wonder what diminishes their speed rating.

It's usually the sidewall construction that determines the speed rating.

Take a look a the Smart Sam Plus or Marathon Plus MTB if you want the highest level of protection and the E50 rating. ;)

1596487182653.png
1596489068445.png

Last edited:
I agree, Law. And thanks, FlatSix, each of those tires (the Sam Plus and Marathon+ MTB) had been on my radar, but I was really wanting to maintain the 2.4” tire width, if possible. I guess the reality of things is that .15 of an inch isn’t likely too discernible? In the event that it is, anyone aware of 27.5 x2.4” e-50 tires made by other companies, or perhaps a good online resource for researching this?

I hope I’m not straying too far off topic, here. The Hurricanes would have been a slam dunk. Thanks, in advance for any other thoughts/info.

I agree, Law. And thanks, FlatSix, each of those tires (the Sam Plus and Marathon+ MTB) had been on my radar, but I was really wanting to maintain the 2.4” tire width, if possible. I guess the reality of things is that .15 of an inch isn’t likely too discernible? In the event that it is, anyone aware of 27.5 x2.4” e-50 tires made by other companies, or perhaps a good online resource for researching this?

I hope I’m not straying too far off topic, here. The Hurricanes would have been a slam dunk. Thanks, in advance for any other thoughts/info.

Glad to help... you will not miss the extra 0.15" width on the 2.25" tires. ;)

Last edited:
Ok, update on the Hurricanes. Wanting to roll them on a class 3, I asked my dealer about them. My dealer emailed Schwalbe and here was their reply:

"Thanks for the message. The short answer is no, it’s not really a concern. The E-50 rating (which in actuality is the ECE-R75 motorized vehicle rating) is not present on a lot of OEM E-bike tires, and it’s generally not an issue except that tires sometimes don’t last as long as casings can get fatigued and bulge with heavier riders after a long period of time. You can feel confident using an E25 tire on a class 3 E bike."

Back