Schwalbe Johnny Watts (and other Schwalbe SUV tyres) User Club

Does anybody know what the real width of these tires? Real width of 2.6 on the rim 23-25mm
I'm not sure if rim that narrow is appropriate for the 2.6" tyre. I use the 2.6" JW on the 35 mm WT (Wide Trail) rim.
My brother has just measured the width. 62-64 mm (nominally 65 mm).

Last edited:
I'm not sure if rim that narrow is appropriate for the 2.6" tyre. I use the 2.6" JW on the 35 mm WT (Wide Trail) rim.
Can do the measurement for you in a few hours.
Thank you. On the rim of 35 mm width will be 2.6.. I would like to get feedback from users with a narrow rim 23-25mm

Attachments

• Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 375
My brother has just measured the width. 62-64 mm (nominally 65 mm).
thanks.. as always schwalbe tires are narrower than stated by the manufacturer

Thank you. On the rim of 35 mm width will be 2.6.. I would like to get feedback from users with a narrow rim 23-25mm
I am running a 27.5x2.6 tire on a 25mm rim on the front of one of my ebikes and it handles just fine.

If I was to pick a new rim for a 2.6, I would prefer something wider like 30mm

I am running a 27.5x2.6 tire on a 25mm rim on the front of one of my ebikes and it handles just fine.

If I was to pick a new rim for a 2.6, I would prefer something wider like 30mm
can you measure the width of the tire on this rim of 25 mm?

can you measure the width of the tire on this rim of 25 mm?
Not until later today as I am away from the bike at the moment.

That being said, I did compare a 2.6(smart sam) on this bike with a 25mmm rim vs a 30mm rim a few months ago and the difference was less than a mm which surprised me.

As I recall the 2.6 on the 30mm rim was about 2.45inches

It's amazing how fluid we all need to be with Imperial and Metric measurements when discussing bike stuff.
Yeah, sorry for mixing it up, old habits

I use US/metric for different bike measurements and convert over as needed, usually to cater to the audience.

I originally had the tire width in metric and but converted to US since the question was on the size of a 2.6

Putting a wide tire on a rim that is at the narrow end of acceptable, makes pinch flats more possible, makes for a smaller contact patch, reducing traction and also narrows the tire profile reducing the comfort factor. It is always best to combine tires under consideration in the mid range of approved for the size rim being used rather than near either extreme.

Putting a wide tire on a rim that is at the narrow end of acceptable, makes pinch flats more possible, makes for a smaller contact patch, reducing traction and also narrows the tire profile reducing the comfort factor. It is always best to combine tires under consideration in the mid range of approved for the size rim being used rather than near either extreme.
All that is good advice and mostly true,

That being said, I have always experienced better traction and more comfort going to wider tires sometimes at the extremes and pinch flats have never been a problem.. If I was to pick a rim from scratch, I would always pick one as you state. The biggest handling difference I have noticed is that the wider tire kindof falls into the corner more on its own when you first tip in to a corner. I only notice this initally when starting a ride.

Here is some food for thought, not that its the final word on this but worth a read and consideration.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth-18-wide-tires-need-wide-rims/

If going tubeless, you definately have to be more strict in matching tires and rims or you risk increased chance of tire 'burping' in corners which never ends well.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry for mixing it up, old habits

I use US/metric for different bike measurements and convert over as needed, usually to cater to the audience.

I originally had the tire width in metric and but converted to US since the question was on the size of a 2.6
No need to apologise, I was just making a statement. We all DO have to be able to work in both when dealing with bicycle stuff.

Here's a recommended rim/tire width chart from WTB:
Tire Rim Width Chart WTB.png

2.6 tire widths should be mounted on rims between 29mm and 40mm in inner width, but you do have some leeway if you want to push it.

Received my JW 2.8. This tire is very tight, I have never had a problem installing tires including nobby nics, but this has been a nightmare. Trying to fit this on 40mm alex rims and I have already had two small scratches on the rim and my hands are sore.

Received my JW 2.8. This tire is very tight, I have never had a problem installing tires including nobby nics, but this has been a nightmare. Trying to fit this on 40mm alex rims and I have already had two small scratches on the rim and my hands are sore.
Hey, that has to be subjective. Because I installed 2.6" JWs on my Trance E+ easily (involving a lot of soap, true), and I'm the type described in my country as "a person with both left hands" :D

Managed to put them on (I had to step on one side of the tire). This is the first time I had to do that.

The tires made a big difference. The rolling resistance is good, actually very good. They are also much quieter. I am very impressed so far. I can not comment on cornering.

Btw., Since the kenda 3.0 tubes I have in the tires didn't have removable cores I also wanted to slime them while they are out. I removed the nut with pliers, dropped the pin in , filled with slime. First tube had no problems , on the second one however the presta nut was stripped. This sucks since that tube is a very good one, never had a puncture and spend quite some time putting slime in it.
I used a new tube. I will keep the old slimed tube since I think I can still use it with some tape on after filling it with air, instead of the nut. For those of you who want to slime a tube without a removable core, just make a small puncture/ slit , fill the tube then patch it with a vulcanizing patch, the nut removal is not worth it.

Back