Schwalbe Johnny Watts (and other Schwalbe SUV tyres) User Club

So to summarize what I have read, these johnny watts are as fast or faster rolling than supermoto-x however it doesn't corner as well. It is as quiet on the road and have good off road traction. It also has good puncture protection and low wear rate.

I guess these are great all around even a good high speed commuting or touring tires.

Does anybody know what the real width of these tires? Real width of 2.6 or 2.8" ers?

Oh yeah. You ran Electrak Armadillo 2.0 on road bikes.
Armadillo tires have been around for quite awhile and believe it or not, they have a version for road bikes.

Compared to other road bike tires I used at the time, they had horrible cornering traction. I had them on a set of wheels just for rides where I needed flat protection.

Have you ever ridden Super Moto X??

Super Moto X are not available for 29" wheels so I cannot try them on my Vado.

Let me explain it: "Armadillo" is not a model name; it is a feature descriptor ("hard to puncture"). The model name is Electrak and don't tell me you used to ride e-bike specific tyres on road bikes. The third name part (Gripton component) describes the component making the rubber grippy, also under low temperatures.

1620533341087.png

Specialized Electrak Armadillo w/Gripton Component 51-622. These tyres are only provided with top-end of the line EU 45 km/h Vado 6.0 and are certified for the e-bike in the Certificate of Conformity.

1620533543180.png

Schwalbe Super Moto X. These are only available for up to 27.5" wheels but are not made for 29" ones unlike Electraks.

Last edited:
Armadillo tires have been around for quite awhile and believe it or not, they have a version for road bikes.

Compared to other road bike tires I used at the time, they had horrible cornering traction. I had them on a set of wheels just for rides where I needed flat protection.

Have you ever ridden Super Moto X??
I'm not sure you are Johnny Watt Fan Club material with that assertive tone.

I just took delivery on a pair of Johnny Watt 27.5 x 2.8 reflex tires for my Delite Mountain that originally came with the same size Knobby Nicks. They should work well with lower pressure and Tubolito MTB tubes.

I am going to pass on the installing them with the Tannus Armour in the interest of better rolling resistance and lower rotational weight. We shall see how they hold up. Here is a photo of the bike with 27.5 x 2.6s that I am going to switch over to the Trek Allant 9.9s.

View attachment 86979

Removing the full fenders as the larger tire will not fit. I am switching back to more easily mounted and dismounted SKS Race Blades.

View attachment 86986
Hello. I'm also looking at these tires. If I understand correctly, you have 27.5 X 2.6 tires . I very often come across the fact that schwalbe tires differ in a smaller direction from those declared by the manufacturer. Can you measure the tires by the body and the tire spikes and tell how wide your rim is? (inside) Thanks.

Hello. I'm also looking at these tires. If I understand correctly, you have 27.5 X 2.6 tires . I very often come across the fact that schwalbe tires differ in a smaller direction from those declared by the manufacturer. Can you measure the tires by the body and the tire spikes and tell how wide your rim is? (inside) Thanks.
The inside measurement bead to bead of my Alex rims is 40mm. This is on a 2018 Riese & Muller Delite Mountain.

Does anybody know what the real width of these tires? Real width of 2.6
That will vary depending on the width of the rim on to which it is mounted and also to smaller degree, the inflation pressure. Mine measure a width of 2.574" side to side on the 40mm Alex rims at a pressure of 34 psi.

That will vary depending on the width of the rim on to which it is mounted and also to smaller degree, the inflation pressure. Mine measure a width of 2.574" side to side on the 40mm Alex rims.
I wonder if someone uses these tires on rims with a width of 24 mm inside, I would like to know the width +- on such rims

Super Moto X are not available for 29" wheels so I cannot try them on my Vado.

Let me explain it: "Armadillo" is not a model name; it is a feature descriptor ("hard to puncture"). The model name is Electrak and don't tell me you used to ride e-bike specific tyres on road bikes. The third name part (Gripton component) describes the component making the rubber grippy, also under low temperatures.

View attachment 87035
Specialized Electrak Armadillo w/Gripton Component 51-622. These tyres are only provided with top-end of the line EU 45 km/h Vado 6.0 and are certified for the e-bike in the Certificate of Conformity.

View attachment 87036
Schwalbe Super Moto X. These are only available for up to 27.5" wheels but are not made for 29" ones unlike Electraks.
Thanks for the awesome clarification and explanations as always. FWIW certifications dont make tires feel any better, they make lawyers feel better

So JWs (with side knobs) corner better than than slicks with the super special compound, WOW, JWs are truly the best of both worlds as you state.
Or perhaps, the Electrak are not that good despite all the marketing hype being quoted. They do sound good though, Too bad I dont have a use for them.

Can you mention another motorsport where side knobbies corner better than slicks on asphalt/pavement. All my years of shaving car tires for track
use must have been a waste despite seeing tangible benefits like better track times

My guess is that your analysis is based on just not cornering at the limit of your JW and that your outer knobs have never been used hard on
asphalt/pavement. For that case, I accept your argument as valid.

I have cornered my JWs that hard and the outer knobbies definately get squirmy when really leaned over, something the super Moto X have never done

JWs are great tires and why I use them for certain situations, are they the best of both worlds? Nope, they are a compromise just like every other tire I ride.

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome clarification and explanations as always. FWIW certifications dont make tires feel any better, they make lawyers feel better

So JWs (with side knobs) corner better than than slicks with the super special compound, WOW, JWs are truly the best of both worlds as you state.

Can you mention another motorsport where side knobbies corner better than slicks on asphalt/pavement. All my years of shaving car tires for track
use must have been a waste despite seeing tangible benefits like better track times

My guess is that your analysis is based on just not cornering at the limit of your JW and that your outer knobs have never been used hard on
asphalt/pavement. For that case, I accept your argument as valid.

I have cornered my JWs that hard and the outer knobbies definately get squirmy when really leaned over, something the super Moto X have never done
That insolent tone will earn you one (1) Johnny Watts Club demerit. 👍

Lemming. I rode for 5000 km on Electraks. Shut up 😃 (You're always off-topic, noticed that?)

Yet, any discussion can be beneficial. When you Lemming praised Super Moto X so much, I looked them up at the Schwalbe website. On the same day, I met a friend who I didn't see for a long time, on a ride. I inspected his indeed good Kettler bike. A look at his tyres...

– Artur, you're riding Super Moto X, aren't you.
– How did you know that?!
– I could recognise them by tread...
🤣
P.S. Now Artur has bought Johnny Watts as he plans some off road rides...

Lemming. I rode for 5000 km on Electraks. Shut up 😃 (You're always off-topic, noticed that?)

Yet, any discussion can be beneficial. When you Lemming praised Super Moto X so much, I looked them up at the Schwalbe website. On the same day, I met a friend who I didn't see for a long time, on a ride. I inspected his indeed good Kettler bike. A look at his tyres...

– Artur, you're riding Super Moto X, aren't you.
– How did you know that?!
– I could recognise them by tread...

🤣
How exactly am I off topic? Someone asked about JWs compared to Super Moto X and I gave an opinion (just as you did). Why cant you just accept that and move on?

Im guessing you equate off-topic to people disagreeing with you.

Im not the only one who praises the Super Moto X, google it.

On the subject of off-topic, you do it all the time and even allow it in threads which you seem to think you own (being the OP). You only condone it when it goes against your holy opinions.

Im sure Artur will like his JWs offroad, JWs are great in alot of areas

Thanks for all the clarification on the Electraks. Spec wise it looks like it would be a grippy tire. Im surprised you thought the JWs had more traction, go figure

You seem to be taking this all too personally, relax and have a beer

I did like your thread on Smart Sams and after reading about them tried them out and now favor them for most of my rides simply because they suit the
road conditions best(alot of fine gravel). The JWs are not so good for this.

Last edited:
How exactly am I off topic? Someone asked about JWs compared to Super Moto X and I gave an opinion (just as you did). Why cant you just accept that and move on?

Im guessing you equate off-topic to people disagreeing with you.

Im not the only one who praises the Super Moto X, google it.

On the subject of off-topic, you do it all the time and even allow it in threads which you seem to think you own (being the OP). You only condone it when it goes against your holy opinions.

Im sure Artur will like his JWs offroad, JWs are great in alot of areas

Thanks for all the clarification on the Electraks. Spec wise it looks like it would be a grippy tire. Im surprised you thought the JWs had more traction, go figure

You seem to be taking this all too personally, relax and have a beer

I did like your thread on Smart Sams and after reading about them tried them out and now favor them for most of my rides simply because they suit the
road conditions best(alot of fine gravel). The JWs are not so good for this.
Second demerit... You are rolling on thin ice my friend.
That said, perhaps you haven't installed them correctly? Meaning that these tires were specifically developed by Schwalbe for luxury ebikes.
Are you riding a luxury ebike?

Back