Schwalbe Johnny Watts (and other Schwalbe SUV tyres) User Club

I don't have 35 mm rims, I have 24😂
You have been given all the information you need to make your own decision, by many people without so much as a thank you, I might add.

There is a good reason no one is answering your question. Stop asking people to take measurements of something no one has the bad sense to put on their bikes.

The gist of is that you are asking for trouble putting a nominally 66mm wide tire on a 24mm inner width rim. Just take the chance and put them on or get wider rims laced into your bike...your decision. No one is going to make up your mind for you and just do it.

You have been given all the information you need to make your own decision, by many people without so much as a thank you, I might add.

There is a good reason no one is answering your question. Stop asking people to take measurements of something no one has the bad sense to put on their bikes.

The gist of is that you are asking for trouble putting a nominally 66mm wide tire on a 24mm inner width rim. Just take the chance and put them on or get wider rims laced into your bike...your decision. No one is going to make up your mind for you and just do it.
here a person has 2.6 tires on a 25 mm rim, which means that no one uses it?

here a person has 2.6 tires on a 25 mm rim, which means that no one uses it?
24 is not 25 and both are not good for 2.6 You have been given tables to consult and opinions to follow or not. You have been given more than enough information and opinion. Now make up your own mind.

🤭
24 is not 25 and both are not good for 2.6 You have been given tables to consult and opinions to follow or not. You have been given more than enough information and opinion. Now make up your own mind.
Thank you for your advice. I'm not looking for advice on what's good and what's bad. The user has a similar-sized rim, I turned to it. And you again advise me,
I understand you Thank you.

To put it anecdotal: Everyone has the right to wear panties the other way around. Which doesn't make that practical.

I was tempted to install too narrow tyres on my 35 mm rims myself. A respected user of these Fora advised me against it (and gave reasons why not). I listen to a good advice.

Put my JW's on this weekend with some lightweight Aerothan tubes. Just had time for a 10 mile shakedown cruise to make sure I'll be good to go for the work week. I'll know a lot better after a few commutes but first impressions are good.

Definitely a different ride than the Super Moto-X's: Softer sidewalls and a little bouncier ride. Cornering is not as crisp, but they do roll really easy and are quiet. I can't tell if my wheel size needs to be tweaked further in the Bosch setup, but I found myself up at 24 mph(Bosch speed, real speed is more like 22.5) in ECO without even thinking about it. Normally I'd be in TOUR mode at that speed or at least consciously working. Handled 1.5 miles of gravel/dirt just fine.

I should have some rain rides this week and hope to get up to ride the Iron Horse trail next weekend both situations where the SM-Xs were not at their best. If the JW's end up trading off some crispness on dry pavement rides for easier rolling and off rode rides then I'll be good.

I have a similar experience. Fast rolling very good all around/touring tires.

Riding my full suspension bosch mid on smooth flat roads, Without any assistance I can keep around 22mph (odometer real speed is likely to be around 20-21) and exceed 24mph when I push. This is at least as good as my cross hard tail with the same motor, 2" big ben's. I don't see any point of going for hardtail with these tires.

Cornering is ok, not bad not very good, should be adequate for most.
I don't think I would take this for road only, higher speed ebikes but otherwise very solid tires.

Continue to love the JWs. Blasting dry dirt singletrack on my local wilderness park, and quiet and efficient on pavement when riding with non MTB friends. One of my best purchases. Not one meter of regrets!

Sorry, I havnt provided the measurement, its just not a priority for me. I did measure it awhile back (2.6 tire) when I had a 24mm rim on the bike and it was about 0.2mm different(i.e. insignificant) for a smart sam going from a 24mm rim to a 35mm rim I had laying around. At the time I did this, I was sticking with 2.4 tires but just wanted to see the differences.

When the 2.4 tires wore out, I put a 2.6 on a 25mm rim (I upgraded the rims not for the extra 1mm though) for about 3k miles now. Its not at all dangerous and while not in "the center" of the charts, its within acceptable limits. The bike certainly has more traction than it did with 2.4s. Acceptable limits mean just that....acceptable

Funny thing is, all these "chart experts" havnt even tried this but I have as have others outside EBR. Some are even suggesting 35mm are the best solution. Ironically my Bulls eMTB came with 35mm rims and 2.8 tires and has worked fine in every single aspect I have used it for (now approaching 8k miles). I think Bulls knows more than many of the self-proclaimed experts here.
I know stefan claims his giant came with 35mm rims and 2.6 tires. What this tells me is it just isnt as critical as everyone makes it out to be.

Several charts have been shown from different tire manufacturers and they do not 100% agree (I would tend to believe the chart from the tire manufacturer I was using).

Schwalbe tires also tend to run narrower than their Inch measurement(i.e. 2.4). They typically run 0.2inches narrower.

I say just try it. Nothing anyone here (including myself) can tell you if it will work for you. Maybe play with psi a bit. If you dont like it, upgrade your rims. Post your experiences here. If it contradicts what I have said works for me, so be it. We all learn from each other

I have all the tools to build my own wheels and just dont see the need to upgrade the rims from 25mm to wider for the 2.6 tire. Why fix something that isnt broken just to be in the middle of a chart.

Last edited:
Not on 25 mm rims?! How odd.

Maxxis explaining WT rims.

If anyone knows their off-road tyres, it is Maxxis.
Has anyone suggested running 2.8 tires on a 25mm rim?

Wouldnt quoting Maxxis Wide Tire Technology on a Schwalbe tire forum be considered off-topic?

Does Maxxis make JWs?

If you favor Maxxis over Schwalbe, why are you running JWs?

Everyone here is welcome to do whatever they want, I am just giving my viewpoint as someone who has 'actually' played with this

These forums are about us sharing our experiences, thought and opinions.......not about anyone dictating the truth.

I am in no way stating that if one was to start 'from scratch', that they should not pick something in the middle of a chart. That would be a silly argument.

When I built a new wheelset for my latest DIY ebike which was going to use JWs in a 27.5x2.6 I went with a 30mm rim just due to availability due to COVID. I actually wanted to go with a 35mm rim so I could try 2.8s in the future. The JWs on this bike handle wonderfully.

Last edited:
If you favor Maxxis over Schwalbe, why are you running JWs?
Maxxis are the best off-road only tyres in the world. Both Maxxis and Schwalbe understand the technology. Johnny Watts are the best mixed-terrain tyres I have experienced, combining silence on road with good grip off-road (something Maxxis are not interested in). It does not matter what brand: the Wide Trail concept is universal throughout the industry (and both Maxxis and Schwalbe are tyre experts) -- but it was the Maxxis website that explained the WT rims.

(Of course, you can use, say, a toothbrush to comb your hair; nobody can forbid you doing that; an analogy to putting WT-profiled tyres onto traditional round tyre narrow rims).

Last edited:
Maxxis are the best off-road only tyres in the world. Both Maxxis and Schwalbe understand the technology. Johnny Watts are the best mixed-terrain tyres I have experienced, combining silence on road with good grip off-road (something Maxxis are not interested in). It does not matter what brand: the Wide Trail concept is universal throughout the industry (and both Maxxis and Schwalbe are tyre experts) -- but it was the Maxxis website that explained the WT rims.

(Of course, you can use, say, a toothbrush to comb your hair; nobody can forbid you doing that; an analogy to putting WT-profiled tyres onto traditional round tyre narrow rims).
Or destroying the handling of a Giant FS eMTB by putting on a 75mm riser stem???

I recently built up a new bike(with JWs) and left the handlebar 1 inch higher than usual by mistake and almost had the front end wash out over 10 times during my ride. Lowering it 1 inch fixed the issue. I cant even imagine how bad your bike handles with that riser. Im guessing you just dont corner your bike that hard so I question if you would even notice a 5mm difference in rim width. Of course raising your handlebars that high is great for the extreme downhills but I doubt that is what your doing considering your use of JWs (as opposed to something like DHF/DHR which I agree is superior offroad...my favorite offroad tires of all time)

Im not arguing the 'theory/science' of rim/tire size compatibility...I perfectly understand it.....probably alot better than you do. I have played with MANY combinations over the years and formed my own conclusions. Theory is great, actual use is better. Dont forget about marketing

Last edited:
you haven't been able to measure the width yet ?:)
Just over 61mm with calipers on sidewall to sidewall and about 63mm knobbly to knobbly on 27.5x2.6.

27.5x2.6 front, 2.35 rear 24mm inner rim width. Mix of road, gravel, light trail no issues for about 5-600miles now. Improved comfort / suspension effect from the 2.6 and bike feels planted, stable compared to the 2.25 WTB trail boss's that were on originally bike would start to feel like it would weave / bar wobble at high downhill speeds.

Just over 61mm with calipers on sidewall to sidewall and about 63mm knobbly to knobbly on 27.5x2.6.

27.5x2.6 front, 2.35 rear 24mm inner rim width. Mix of road, gravel, light trail no issues for about 5-600miles now. Improved comfort / suspension effect from the 2.6 and bike feels planted, stable compared to the 2.25 WTB trail boss's that were on originally bike would start to feel like it would weave / bar wobble at high downhill speeds.
you my hero :) thanks

Just got a couple of tyres to experiment with (after i hopefully manage to fit larger mudguards/fenders), both Schwalbe: Johnny Watts 584-70 & Pickup 584-65.
Found out the Johnny Watts 584-65 is E-50 rated and the 584-70 is only E-25, anyone know why?
These will be going on my Alex MD-40 rims.

Just got a couple of tyres to experiment with (after i hopefully manage to fit larger mudguards/fenders), both Schwalbe: Johnny Watts 584-70 & Pickup 584-65.
Found out the Johnny Watts 584-65 is E-50 rated and the 584-70 is only E-25, anyone know why?
These will be going on my Alex MD-40 rims.
That's a question best directed to Schwalbe..but my guess would be that the larger tire becomes more flexible and perhaps more vulnerable as a result

Last edited:
Back