Schwalbe Johnny Watts (and other Schwalbe SUV tyres) User Club

I prefer the smartsams offroad (hardpack with fine gravel on top) and the JW for more onroad. Im actually running both tires on the same bike as I like the JW(for wear) at the rear and the smartsams at the front(for traction) but this is based on the mix of trails I ride.

How would you compare JW vs Smart Sam on the road? Although I like Smart sams off road, on the road it feels like there is a substantial drag. I am in between Super moto X and Johnny Watts.

I have a inexpensive fs mountain bike that I installed a Bafang BBS02B on with a throttle. Now though I don't see the wording anywhere on the Schwalbe website as they refer to this tire is for anyone with the need for SUV tire... Can I put this on a non luxury ebike?
I mean my bike isn't even premium or top tier... It has Acera drive train and a throttle... Will Schwalbe even sell them to me?

I have a inexpensive fs mountain bike that I installed a Bafang BBS02B on with a throttle. Now though I don't see the wording anywhere on the Schwalbe website as they refer to this tire is for anyone with the need for SUV tire... Can I put this on a non luxury ebike?
I mean my bike isn't even premium or top tier... It has Acera drive train and a throttle... Will Schwalbe even sell them to me?
No one has ever asked me what bike I am putting a tire on when I bought it on line. I would say that putting Johnny Watt tires on any bike makes it a better bike.

I don't even know about who you Richard and Randall are talking about...
Yet if this is the person I can vaguely remember, the answer is no. JWs won't fit his e-bike. Wrong wheel/rim size.

do you think the jw's would have less rolling resistance than the smart sam
According to the Schwalbe website, the JW has a better rolling resistance rating. Not having used the Sam I can't be certain but just by looking at the tread design of each I would agree with the Schwalbe rating.

It is hard to honestly compare Smart Sams to Johnny Watts in terms of road rolling resistance:
  • Replacing slick Electrak 2.0 (two inch tyres) with 1.75" Smart Sams indeed resulted in decreasing my Vado road speed;
  • Replacing 2.6" Rekons with 2.6" Johnny Watts made my Trance ride faster.
However, I could not compare apples to apples. And I cannot try JWs on my Vado because JWs are only available in big sizes, too thick for my Vado. I think the biggest advantage of JWs is using them as all-rounders on e-MTBs and SUV e-bikes. On contrary, Smart Sams add some valuable off-road quality to urban e-bikes.

Since you are riding Schwalbe now... We can grant you a temporary conditional membership to the club 🙃

Since you are riding Schwalbe now... We can grant you a temporary conditional membership to the club 🙃
Thanks, I might try a bit wider 29 x 2.60 Johnny Watts currently running 29x2.25. I'd like to get one set of tires with tan walls, shame they don't sell johnny watts with tan walls yet.

Wider should add some comfort and since the rolling resistance is lower than that of the Sams... I think it will still feel quicker

This looks like a great tire for road/gravel rides that take you on both surfaces. Unfortunately I have a bit of a "tire fetish" and have a few sets to wear out, so I won't be getting new tires in the immediate future. Actually just looked up the tires and looks like they're not meant for gravel bikes, they're too wide to fit on any of my current bikes. Hmmm, maybe an excuse to buy another bike :) - guess that will have to wait as my next bike hasn't even arrived yet!

Stefan, which headphones are you wearing in your avatar?

Stefan, which headphones are you wearing in your avatar?
These are Sony WH-1000xm4. A shiznit 😉

Johnny Watts. I had a chance to ride my Trance E+ over a 105 km mixed terrain route. The greatest experience was the silence, disregarding of the terrain type. The only environ JW's cannot really handle is sand-over-hard. Some side wise slipping. Still rideable.

Last edited:
I've quite a few rides on my JW's and the last week I've been doing more technical single track MTB style riding with some steeper climbs.
It's quite dry here and they handled 20% climbs just fine.

My one issue where I spun out was operator error and I'm not convinced my Maxxis Forekasters would have been any different.
I've also done some paved pathway rides and I sure enjoy being able to hear myself think...those Maxxis knobbies sure howl and I can't really describe the Ice-Spikers!

Still very much in love with the JWs.
They were a really good choice for me - thanks for the suggestion @Stefan Mikes !

Back