Schwalbe Johnny Watts (and other Schwalbe SUV tyres) User Club

how do the jw's compare overall to the mondials and the smart sams and do you think I could put a 27.5 X 2.6 jw on a 24mm rim or should I get wider rims?

how do the jw's compare overall to the mondials and the smart sams and do you think I could put a 27.5 X 2.6 jw on a 24mm rim or should I get wider rims?
I run with smartsams and JW.

I prefer the smartsams offroad (hardpack with fine gravel on top) and the JW for more onroad. Im actually running both tires on the same bike as I like the JW(for wear) at the rear and the smartsams at the front(for traction) but this is based on the mix of trails I ride.

Here is schwalbes tire size rim size recommendation, its ok according to the ETRTO standard but not ok according to 'schwalbes recommendations'
https://www.schwalbe.com/files/schw...n_2020/Reifen_Felgenkombinationen_2020_EN.pdf

I am running a 2.6 on a 24mm rim which isnt ideal but I am doing it with no ill effects on one bike. Much more traction than the same tire in a 2.4 size and more comfy as well.

Easy enough to try, if for some reason, you dont like it, go to wider rims.

I am with you on the comfort aspect of riding. Have never been a big fan of riding in very cold conditions. Perhaps it may be from having to drag through the snow and sleet in my younger years doing newspaper deliveries. Ouch! :rolleyes:

I hear you on that. I "only' had 38 papers to deliver, but there were houses only on one side of the road. The other side was all farm fields with the occasional lane that I would have to ride half a mile down to the farmhouse and deliver their paper, then uphill back to the road. 4 of those lanes, 3 of which only had a single house/paper!! There was one public footpath between two of the lanes, but it had hedgerows on both sides. First time I rode that path I got 15 thorns in my back tyre and 10+ in the front!! I learned to make that one of my latter deliveries and carried my bike through there a few times. No such things like in the US where the papers are in plastic bags and thrown from a barely stopped vehicle in the general vicinity of the driveway, or put in a mailbox at the end of the drive/lane/across the road! Each paper had to be put the whole way through the letterbox so as not to get wet and ruined when it rained, which was frequent. Then once a week I also had to collect the money from those that didn't want to make a trip to the newsagent to pay. Some would just leave the money in an old glass spice jar on the front step. Others you had to knock and wait (in the rain!). Keeping the financial balances in a notebook that you had to turn in with the money. Any discrepancy was taken out of your weekly wage of a few quid a week for 6 days of deliveries.

I had started by delivering the free paper once a week for a penny/paper. Then got a regular evening round when I was 14 for 3 quid a week. At 15 I switched to mornings to better fit my schedule. Remember racing my bike and paper deliveries against the milkman and his milk cart!! Some amazing sunrises, but some very bitter, wet, snow, ice mornings too! Fingerless gloves under mittens tied to your wrist so you could pull off the mittens when you stopped your bike, pull that paper from the bag and fold it and push it through the letterbox. Some of those metal letterboxes were push and not the pull/lift kind, and they could have some pretty stiff springs on them. Pinched my freezing fingers in them quite a few times trying to get the paper all the way in!

I ride a motorcycle now too, usually only for work commuting, Easter to Thanksgiving/Christmas depending on the weather. I find that with the correct clothing and other technological advances today (heated grips for example) that you can get pretty comfortable in adverse weather. I just have to ask myself whether it's worth it. If it's raining (or snowing) hard enough to impair visibility, then that means cagers are even more likely to hit me than normal. That's never an argument I will win, so it's just not worth it.

What pressure is everyone riding on your Johnny Watts?

Are you using different pressures if you plan on riding mostly off-road as opposed to on road for the majority of your ride?
If I can remember correctly, it is 1.9 bar in my 2.6" JWs. I would deflate to 1.4 bar for real offroad use.

I hear you on that. I "only' had 38 papers to deliver, but there were houses only on one side of the road. The other side was all farm fields with the occasional lane that I would have to ride half a mile down to the farmhouse and deliver their paper, then uphill back to the road. 4 of those lanes, 3 of which only had a single house/paper!! There was one public footpath between two of the lanes, but it had hedgerows on both sides. First time I rode that path I got 15 thorns in my back tyre and 10+ in the front!! I learned to make that one of my latter deliveries and carried my bike through there a few times. No such things like in the US where the papers are in plastic bags and thrown from a barely stopped vehicle in the general vicinity of the driveway, or put in a mailbox at the end of the drive/lane/across the road! Each paper had to be put the whole way through the letterbox so as not to get wet and ruined when it rained, which was frequent. Then once a week I also had to collect the money from those that didn't want to make a trip to the newsagent to pay. Some would just leave the money in an old glass spice jar on the front step. Others you had to knock and wait (in the rain!). Keeping the financial balances in a notebook that you had to turn in with the money. Any discrepancy was taken out of your weekly wage of a few quid a week for 6 days of deliveries.

I had started by delivering the free paper once a week for a penny/paper. Then got a regular evening round when I was 14 for 3 quid a week. At 15 I switched to mornings to better fit my schedule. Remember racing my bike and paper deliveries against the milkman and his milk cart!! Some amazing sunrises, but some very bitter, wet, snow, ice mornings too! Fingerless gloves under mittens tied to your wrist so you could pull off the mittens when you stopped your bike, pull that paper from the bag and fold it and push it through the letterbox. Some of those metal letterboxes were push and not the pull/lift kind, and they could have some pretty stiff springs on them. Pinched my freezing fingers in them quite a few times trying to get the paper all the way in!

I ride a motorcycle now too, usually only for work commuting, Easter to Thanksgiving/Christmas depending on the weather. I find that with the correct clothing and other technological advances today (heated grips for example) that you can get pretty comfortable in adverse weather. I just have to ask myself whether it's worth it. If it's raining (or snowing) hard enough to impair visibility, then that means cagers are even more likely to hit me than normal. That's never an argument I will win, so it's just not worth it.
Great paper delivery story indeed. I can relate on all levels. Started an afternoon route at age 10 til age 14. No mailbox deliveries for the most part. Fold the afternoon edition and pack them in a burlap bag. Mount on the front handlebars using bag straps and handlebar mounted hooks and ride off and using your throwing arm. Then take aim while in motion and nail your target on the front porch of each house. Also, hand written customer receipts and collect your fee every two weeks. Every once in a while, an older female customer would answer their front door in scantily clad clothing. o_O Any discrepancy was taken out of your weekly wage as well. On heavy snow days, we were forced to use a sled and walk the route in sometimes knee deep snow. That's about the gist of it. Thanks for sharing.

Great paper delivery story indeed. I can relate on all levels. Started an afternoon route at age 10 til age 14. No mailbox deliveries for the most part. Fold the afternoon edition and pack them in a burlap bag. Mount on the front handlebars using bag straps and handlebar mounted hooks and ride off and using your throwing arm. Then take aim while in motion and nail your target on the front porch of each house. Also, hand written customer receipts and collect your fee every two weeks. Every once in a while, an older female customer would answer their front door in scantily clad clothing. o_O Any discrepancy was taken out of your weekly wage as well. On heavy snow days, we were forced to use a sled and walk the route in sometimes knee deep snow. That's about the gist of it. Thanks for sharing.

So you were the model for that "Paperboy" computer game 🤣 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperboy_(video_game)

Are the Jws more durable Then the super Moto X
Link to Johnny Watts
Link to Super Moto X
Looks like a slightly different rating scale on their website for each product.

Any info from fellow EBR riders, or any other end users of these products would be anecdotal at best, or biased at worst.

So who knows???
I would ask the designers/manufacturers - they may even respond.

My $0.02 FWIW

Neither is listed as an ebike specific tire.
They are. The E-50 symbol means "good for e-bikes of maximum rated speed of 50 km/h (30 mph)". Pick-Up is a cargo e-bike tyre while JW is made for luxury recreational e-bikes.

My brother who rides my Trance E+ on JWs is just delighted. He's commuting (big plus for JWs for low rolling resistance and silent ride) but he also was trying the tyres on a wet lawn, and was stunned how good grip JWs offered.

My brother who rides my Trance E+ on JWs is just delighted. He's commuting (big plus for JWs for low rolling resistance and silent ride) but he also was trying the tyres on a wet lawn, and was stunned how good grip JWs offered.
These tires are sounding better and better from riders here. As an all-rounder, they look like they check all the boxes for delivering the best performance at that price point as advertised.

Back