Rohloff e-14 oil leak

I'm kinda curious about this thinking too @JVBulman - my E-14 Rohloff is fine other than occasionally clunky shifts (after the under 200 miles it has on it so far... clearly still breaking in, both myself and the hub 😉), but while I agree any oil leakage is something Rohloff should be addressing, I would think Rohloff's warranty would, if anything, be on top of, not in place of, R&M's warranty to the customer on the bike as a whole. And as Rohloff's direct customer, R&M is also more likely to have the pull with Rohloff to have something done about it.

I'm kinda curious about this thinking too @JVBulman - my E-14 Rohloff is fine other than occasionally clunky shifts (after the under 200 miles it has on it so far... clearly still breaking in, both myself and the hub 😉), but while I agree any oil leakage is something Rohloff should be addressing, I would think Rohloff's warranty would, if anything, be on top of, not in place of, R&M's warranty to the customer on the bike as a whole. And as Rohloff's direct customer, R&M is also more likely to have the pull with Rohloff to have something done about it.
Rohloff in Germany are very good , here in the UK we are presently without a local service centre and have to return it back via a distribution centre to Germany , their warranty after your normal two year shop warranty is excellent , where one hopes in my case after 2 major oil leak repairs in just over two years they may not charge me the postage costs, (out of shop warranty} as for getting to the bottom of this, they appear to have replaced the shifting shaft bearing and all the driver bearings , may be they failed to spot the underlying problem when they first replaced the seals and note ,for a low mileage gear box ?? in the meanwhile I have been in touch with R&M with my concerns about frequency of oil leaks , we shall see ?

Cheers. me to, been using Rohloff for years on a trusted steel long hauler , no problems , switched to using e -bike , and the R&M Supercharger in my mind the best e-bike long tourer out there today , like minded cyclists are amazed at the E-14 but I never mention my issues, just hope this is a rogue hub :confused: the e-14 I do believe has only been around since 2017 , so in my mind the verdict is still not out, more so when linked with the gates carbon drive belt

I have had my Superdelite with Rohloff hub since April 2020 and currently have experienced 15,200 km of great biking. I have changed the hub oil myself twice over that time and have not experienced any leaks. I love the Rohloff hub; it shifts perfectly and is matched well to the Superdelite.

Two years, one oil flush and change, 2700km and no leaks yet on a 2017 Supercharger2. Hope your experience was just a bad assembly or defective parts combined over time. I too love the E-14 dearly.

We have two SuperDelites with E14 Rohloff from April 2020, we have have had some issues… our dealer in the UK , Edemo has been great. There have been quite a few occasions requiring the kiox to be removed and replaced to restore electric gear changes , not a huge problem, both bikes suffered occasional significant issues with gear changes, but this was found to be due to incorrect tightening of the sprockets at the time of manufacture, once diagnosed and fixed this has been fine.

However in August one bike lost the ability to change gears and removing and replacing the kiox unit did not help, the original thought was of an electronic failure of the communications unit between motor and hub, it turned out to be the E14 selector had failed and there was also a significant oil leak, the hub and spare wheel went back to Germany in September and it’s still there to my knowledge ….

I bought a new ‘spare’ bike (Tern HAD S+
to keep us cycling but I don’t have much faith in Rohloff long term. It’s disappointing but reliability and confidence that things work and can be fixed readily means that we have ordered two new Homages with Vario hubs.

The chances are that these problems are just a tiny subset of all the Rohloffs out there and the repaired bike will be just great for many years. However I will be happier with the Enviolo hub, technically not quite as good, but in the event of failure in the future, less expensive to replace than the Rohloff.

We have been very pleased with the support from the dealer Edemo and he shares our frustration with getting this resolved speedily and has helped considerably.

*The Tern was available for almost immediate delivery and will be a useful bike for future shopping trips etc and has proved to be a great little bike.

It is good to hear all of these reports (good and bad) but I'm in the camp with @HariSeldon. No question R&M can make a solid reliable bike. Mine has 3000+ miles on it in 6 months of ownership and has been solid with literally no problems. Last month I was having some unusual noises coming from the drive train and suspected the Bosch motor. Fortunately it was a only a worn chain (I have a chain model Delite GX) and it's now running quietly and shifting great again.

Due to my owning another bike with the powerful Bafang mid-drive motor and it quickly eating another IGH, I have babied the Rohloff being careful to never shift under load. It has performed flawlessly but thanks to ebikes, I am addicted to riding again and need a backup bike so recently bought a Harley Davidson ... (moment for that to sink in). They created an ebike line that is sold by a new subsidiary company Serial 1 (Info on Serial 1 can be found here). That bike has a true next generation shiftless technology with the Enviolo Automatiq CVT. Being the new bike in the quiver, and looking and riding beautifully, it has been getting most of my miles lately.

I guess the bottom line for me is I like well made things with great utility. R&M makes very good products as do many other manufacturers. Good customer service is vital when things go wrong with prized possessions. The Serial 1 was purchased from the best LBS in my area but is surprisingly also sold and supported by Harley Davidson dealers. I love my R&M but if something goes wrong, will R&M make it right? That is a very good question.

We have two SuperDelites with E14 Rohloff from April 2020, we have have had some issues… our dealer in the UK , Edemo has been great. There have been quite a few occasions requiring the kiox to be removed and replaced to restore electric gear changes , not a huge problem, both bikes suffered occasional significant issues with gear changes, but this was found to be due to incorrect tightening of the sprockets at the time of manufacture, once diagnosed and fixed this has been fine.

However in August one bike lost the ability to change gears and removing and replacing the kiox unit did not help, the original thought was of an electronic failure of the communications unit between motor and hub, it turned out to be the E14 selector had failed and there was also a significant oil leak, the hub and spare wheel went back to Germany in September and it’s still there to my knowledge ….

I bought a new ‘spare’ bike (Tern HAD S+
to keep us cycling but I don’t have much faith in Rohloff long term. It’s disappointing but reliability and confidence that things work and can be fixed readily means that we have ordered two new Homages with Vario hubs.

The chances are that these problems are just a tiny subset of all the Rohloffs out there and the repaired bike will be just great for many years. However I will be happier with the Enviolo hub, technically not quite as good, but in the event of failure in the future, less expensive to replace than the Rohloff.

We have been very pleased with the support from the dealer Edemo and he shares our frustration with getting this resolved speedily and has helped considerably.

*The Tern was available for almost immediate delivery and will be a useful bike for future shopping trips etc and has proved to be a great little bike.
Ha! I don’t doubt Edemo have given you great service as it sounds like you’ve bought a few eBikes from them now! Good on you.

it seems people on this forum are split into those with considerable disposable income who are able to buy high end eBikes and other toys and have alternative options if it goes bad, and those that see a single R&M as a massive investment that needs serious savings and deliberations and really can’t afford to have a bad experience on a car-replacement level eBike.

I admit I was a bit wary when the LBS explained the R&M warranty and how it explicitly excluded key components- the Bosch motor, the gearbox etc. I admit I didn’t understand that side of things and like some other commentators on this thread, feel like it’s not a great Approach given R&M choose their suppliers for presumably their own reasons and beliefs they’re good.

However, it’s also not hard to see how complex these sub components are and why they need speciality support and warranty. The challenge, as I see it, is we are used to our vehicle warranties being honoured by a single manufacturer- Toyota, Honda, BMW etc - we don’t expect to be sent somewhere separately for the motor, wheels, gearbox etc.

no easy solution in the end.

my SC2 is 18months old, 5k on it and only minor niggles I’d classify as usual wear and tear. My wife and I both ride it and I had fully anticipated getting a second in the event I could afford it.

strangely, even to me, I’ve decided to go with an eMTB instead - picking up a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp for NZD$12,500 later this month (my SC2 was shop floor unit for $10k). Whilst I want a different bike for different riding needs, I confess some of these forum concerns have led me to diversify by bike fleet a little!

I certainly don’t have unlimited discretionary spending so it was a real eye opener the price on these eMTB and I’ve got the 2/5 in the model range i.e. second to bottom! Top of range is NZD$18,500! And here I thought R&M was premium!

Despite everything, all my rides on my SC2 leave me happy and a smile on my face - few other purchases deliver that outcome so consistently.

cheers
Sam

I certainly don’t have unlimited discretionary spending so it was a real eye opener the price on these eMTB and I’ve got the 2/5 in the model range i.e. second to bottom! Top of range is NZD$18,500! And here I thought R&M was premium!
Wait until R&M ebikes are made of carbon fibre 😁 Your Levo Comp already is a premium E-MTB...

From a strictly dispassionate business perspective these are caveat emptor issues. It's easy to get caught up in peoples problems with the bikes we own and we want to believe that we will have solid support from the manufacturer if something goes wrong. I think it all comes down to buying these more complicated electronic motor and transmission bikes from reputable dealers who will support their customers. I think R&M make excellent quality ebikes and my R&M dealer owner seems to be a very standup guy. He is also a good business person who understands the importance of good customer service.

When you buy into a company like Riese & Muller, you're buying into their business philosophy and policies. Your R&M dealer is your defined warranty support agent. The OEM's obligation is to support their trained dealers, not the customer of that dealership. Seems many of the reported issues here deal with folks who are far from a dealer location and/or, get poor support from the selling dealer. When the consumer is not getting "reasonable" support from their designated R&M dealer, it does then become R&M's responsibility to assist the customer. It seems that there may be a lack of competent, dedicated R&M dealers and that may indeed be an R&M's issue. Once again, caveat emptor.

Last edited:
just a drive-by reader of this topic, so take this for what it is, I am sympathetic to all of you who have experienced issues

is this issue conclusively limited to the e14 Rohloff and not the mechanical Rohloff, if so surely someone can say more about why it happens?

on other issues I have found the German language forums to have many participants who are engineering savvy and detail oriented, what is their experience with this?

From a strictly dispassionate business perspective these are caveat emptor issues. It's easy to get caught up in peoples problems with the bikes we own and we want to believe that we will have solid support from the manufacturer if something goes wrong. I think it all comes down to buying these more complicated electronic motor and transmission bikes from reputable dealers who will support their customers. My R&M dealer owner seems to be a very standup guy and good business person who would support the bike if I have issues.

When you buy into a company like Riese & Muller, you're buying into their business philosophy and policies. Your R&M dealer is your defined warranty support agent. The OEM's are to designed to support their trained dealers, not the customer of that dealership. Seems many of the reported issues here deal with folks who are far from a dealer location or, get poor support from the selling dealer. When the consumer is not getting "reasonable" support from their designated R&M dealer, it does then become R&M's responsibility to assist the customer. It seems that there may be a lack of competent, dedicated R&M dealers and that may indeed be an R&M's issue. Once again, caveat emptor.
I have an R+M with about 35000 km. It is a solid bike but it is no better than many other less expensive bikes . However I have become a huge fan of the Bosch system.

is this issue conclusively limited to the e14 Rohloff and not the mechanical Rohloff, if so surely someone can say more about why it happens?
I’m curious about this too. My assumption is that the two hubs are the same, at least between the E14 and the external gear mech.

Like I said, R&M has no reason to utilize any "pull" with Rohloff because at the end of the day it's Rohloff's problem to solve, and R&M have nothing to gain by taking on that responsibility for one of their OEMs.

Another thing to consider is that Rohloffs are completely serviceable; meaning it's cheaper for everyone involved to repair one rather than outright replace it.

Last edited:
Like I said, R&M has no reason to utilize any "pull" with Rohloff because at the end of the day it's Rohloff's problem to solve, and R&M have nothing to gain by taking on that responsibility for one of their OEMs.

Another thing to consider is that Rohloffs are completely serviceable; meaning it's cheaper for everyone involved to repair one rather than outright replace it.
Whether that’s true or not, if you buy a bike from R&M, the warranty is provided by R&M on the complete bike as best I can tell. If they were to say they don’t stand behind the included components provided by third parties, this would also include the brakes, the electric drive system, and most other failure prone parts, and would differ from the practices of other bike OEMs to say the least, in a profoundly not good way, don’t you think?

Well things do happen over time. Since my comment of Dec. 21 I have now put 5319km on my SC2. Yesterday after a wonderful commute to town and back in warm temperatures, the first of a late spring, I found a small puddle of oil under the left side. It seemed to be coming from the QR skewer area. Looked at my maintenance listing and it had been a year since my first oil change in June of 21, 2414km of riding. Having an oil change kit I proceeded to do my annual oil change but in this case I am reducing the new oil by 10ml and only putting back 15ml based upon the various options that have been documented. I sure hope this solves the problem and it is not a seal gone bad. Anyone else experiencing similar leakage?

Well things do happen over time. Since my comment of Dec. 21 I have now put 5319km on my SC2. Yesterday after a wonderful commute to town and back in warm temperatures, the first of a late spring, I found a small puddle of oil under the left side. It seemed to be coming from the QR skewer area. Looked at my maintenance listing and it had been a year since my first oil change in June of 21, 2414km of riding. Having an oil change kit I proceeded to do my annual oil change but in this case I am reducing the new oil by 10ml and only putting back 15ml based upon the various options that have been documented. I sure hope this solves the problem and it is not a seal gone bad. Anyone else experiencing similar leakage?
Along with putting less oil back in, it's helpful to let the cleaning fluid drain overnight beforehand.

Back