Riding through water...

Homet

It’s rained a lot in the UK in the past week so when the sun shone yesterday, I went for a ride to test out my new bike (Cube Reaction Pro 625] and new display (Nyon V2]. All was fine until I sailed down a hill at 22 mph on a narrow, empty road with a 45 degree turn at the bottom. When I got there, I was confronted with a section of road that was flooded to a depth of around a foot and a length of 40 -50 feet and no way to stop safely. So, I just pedalled through on Tour mode, doing the best I could. The water was over the bottom bracket, shoes and pants were soaked, everything was just covered in water and halfway through, I started getting worried about the motor. I got through the other side fearing the worst but the bike just kept going like I’d been through a 2” puddle and everything felt fine. No damage to anything apart from my shoes and socks which squelched all the way back home!

My question is this. Just how deep is it safe to ride these bikes? There doesn’t seem to be anything specific mentioned in the manuals and I don’t plan of doing this again but is there a max safe depth?

Premium e-bike motors are waterproof. No worries. If you ever have a chance to watch your motor with the cover off, you'll understand why.

Generally a brushless motor can take some light water exposure as long as it dries out right after and doesn't start to rust. The controller and any circuit boards are the weak points. Some bikes do a great job of water proofing them, some don't. Definitely don't intentionally submerge any moving part of the bike, or electrical housing. Short and slow rides through water up to the rear derailleur shouldn't be a problem.

If moving components like motors and hubs or even chains and derailleurs get submerged (but don't fail at that moment), the biggest risk is the washing effect on the grease and oil, and the retention of any water, as that will guarantee corrosion. Definitely make sure it's not retaining any water, and make sure your controller housing is also dry. Water in the cable routing and sleeves can also corrode the cables, including brake/shifter cables. I would suggest if you get an unexpected short but deep section, I'd follow up by running the motor until dry for a few kms and putting it away in a nice dry room with a fan going on it to dry it out thoroughly overnight. Give it a good inspection the next day, and once it's all bone dry, lube-lube-lube.

Splashes and spray shouldn't be a problem with most bikes, but if you plan to ride a lot in the serious wet weather, there are good videos on you tube on how to waterproof your connections, and make sure you have adequate drainage in any hubs.

As I said before premium e-bikes with mid-drive motors are waterproof.
Respectfully my friend, that is not a statement I would support. Bosch manuals claim IP54, which is only dust resistant, and 360 degree splash proof. NOT immersion proof at all. In fact the manuals also state not to use pressure washers either. And there are enough videos and forums posts out there showing dust and water intrusion damage on Bosch motors that I would definitely not call them waterproof.

In fact, an Iphone has a much better rating than that at IP67 (1m - 30 minutes).

I rode with both my Giant/Yamaha e-MTB and with my Specialized/Brose Vado in water holes so deep the motor of each e-bike was immersed. It didn't happen once. I could see both motors uncovered and observed how totally enclosed those were.

If a premium e-bike were afraid of water, there would be no e-bikes out there at all. I could not read a single report of "I rode my e-bike into deep water and it stopped working" either. At least not related to the Big Five mid-drive motor manufacturers. (Don't tell me Bosch is any worse than a Brose or a Yamaha).

Last Tuesday and Thursday I was on long rides, both occurring during downpour. I was soaked. I had to pour out my boots after each ride. And so what? E-bikes are not sissies (as to say). These are made to stand any weather. (I wouldn't expose them to seawater though). Cube are premium e-bikes equipped with premium motors. No worries.

As I said before premium e-bikes with mid-drive motors are waterproof.
I call bullshit. There is a video on the net now showing a shop repair on a Bosch CX motor with water ingress.
From, guess what? Why on earth would you risk damage on any component of an ebike by going through deep water, for um, some unknown reason, other than you have deep pockets and you forgot your motorboat at home. By the way, does this look water proof?

Attachments

• 8FF5CBAA-79C0-4329-9CEB-DFC3CE136D41.jpeg
    8FF5CBAA-79C0-4329-9CEB-DFC3CE136D41.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 1,168

This is a video of bearing replacement on a Bosch motor. It had water damage. These motors are not waterproof. You should never submerge or pressure wash your motor. The guy in the video appears to make a living rebuilding these motors. He has at least on video rebuilding a Brose motor as well.

Yeah submerging a motor sounds like a bad time, and if its a IP54 rating, that def is not waterproof...no matter how lucky or not

That's rich 😅 😅 😅
Well let’s see what happens to OPs motor. He didn’t say he’s had any problems since the motor got submerged so only time will tell.

Fortunately he doesn’t have a bafang motor because he would have been electrocuted if it got submerged while running. Plenty of stories on the internet about that happening as well.

So you guys have convinced me: Never buy a Bosch motor e-bike.
Because my e-bikes are not made to be just ridden in South California.

Fortunately he doesn’t have a bafang motor because he would have been electrocuted.
That's why I was so specific: "A premium e-bike with motor from one of five leading mid-drive manufacturers".

"you'd be amazed how much water e-bikes can go through" is one opinion from the video linked below ... there has been a lot mentioned in the forums and in various videos about water and e-bikes and likely each manufacturer has guidance on this ... just personally, I would avoid fully submerging but would have no qualms about riding in wet conditions and making some low water crossings.

(2) Are E-Bikes 100% Waterproof? | Ask EMBN Anything About E-Biking - YouTube

So you guys have convinced me: Never buy a Bosch motor e-bike.
Because my e-bikes are not made to be just ridden in South California.

That's why I was so specific: "A premium e-bike with motor from one of five leading mid-drive manufacturers".
Well interestingly enough, Bafang Ultras are rated IP65.

Now knowing how much they exaggerate their torque ratings, I place my trust in their other ratings about the same... ;-)

no bike part should be pressure washed or even sprayed with a nozzle on a hose. full suspension mountain bikes. you cant service your bosch motor and don't even try.

Such an interesting discussion. My 2018 Brose motor has 8 slots in the front of the motor cover. I believe these slots are for cooling the motor but obviously water could enter through them. Does that mean the motor inside also is covered enough to keep out water?

There doesn’t seem to be anything specific mentioned in the manuals and I don’t plan of doing this again but is there a max safe depth?
Depth? Obviously you shouldn't treat it like a submarine.

I don't think you will find any depth information since they are not supposed to be ridden under water.

These motors are splash resistant and supposed to endure conditions like crossing streams of water when mountain biking every now and then. In your case it should be fine.

I would be more concerned about salt/sand/dirt etc that is caked on your drivetrain, they may wear out the seals.

Back