Riding through water...

Such an interesting discussion. My 2018 Brose motor has 8 slots in the front of the motor cover. I believe these slots are for cooling the motor but obviously water could enter through them. Does that mean the motor inside also is covered enough to keep out water?
1608918210534.png

It is exactly your motor @Marci jo as our e-bikes are almost identical. The motor itself is totally enclosed. I have never cleaned the motor until I took the motor cover off. It looked like in the picture on the anniversary of the purchase.

1608918307049.png

You people may quote any anecdotal "proofs" but it is the recent kilometrage of my Vado, ridden for a year and a little at any conditions.

Well let’s see what happens to OPs motor. He didn’t say he’s had any problems since the motor got submerged so only time will tell.

Fortunately he doesn’t have a bafang motor because he would have been electrocuted if it got submerged while running. Plenty of stories on the internet about that happening as well.
Post a link

Talking to the the guy who rebuilds the Bosch motors, he claimed Gen 3 and Gen 4 are MUCH better with their seals. Bottom line is submerging for long periods or pressurized water is not good. Occasional short term water submerging (5-10 seconds) is probably OK. Heck a dry paper bag can last 5 seconds submersion.

Don’t have to, Google is your friend also. Plenty of people talking about their bafang motors shocking them.
That's what I thought.
I assumed since the stories were plenty it would be easy for you to find.
But it seems it's more likely that the internet is just full of people full of themselves looking for any opportunity to stroke themselves in public.
I have no problem with Bosch or any other "Premium motor"... more so the pompous owners who literally think that they can walk on water.

I’m proud to declare myself a fair-weather cyclist so the chances of this happening again is pretty slim! I never expected the motor to be waterproof, of course, but was hoping that they’d survive the odd accidental splash, which I guess they’d be fine for. Mine still seems fine so I guess I just got lucky!

I’m proud to declare myself a fair-weather cyclist so the chances of this happening again is pretty slim! I never expected the motor to be waterproof, of course, but was hoping that they’d survive the odd accidental splash, which I guess they’d be fine for. Mine still seems fine so I guess I just got lucky!
I'm right with you. No rain or snow for me. Something about electricity and water ?

I rode with both my Giant/Yamaha e-MTB and with my Specialized/Brose Vado in water holes so deep the motor of each e-bike was immersed. It didn't happen once. I could see both motors uncovered and observed how totally enclosed those were.

If a premium e-bike were afraid of water, there would be no e-bikes out there at all. I could not read a single report of "I rode my e-bike into deep water and it stopped working" either. At least not related to the Big Five mid-drive motor manufacturers. (Don't tell me Bosch is any worse than a Brose or a Yamaha).

Last Tuesday and Thursday I was on long rides, both occurring during downpour. I was soaked. I had to pour out my boots after each ride. And so what? E-bikes are not sissies (as to say). These are made to stand any weather. (I wouldn't expose them to seawater though). Cube are premium e-bikes equipped with premium motors. No worries.
To suggest others will have the same outcome you had is pretty "creative". For others to beleive they'll make it because you did is just as "creative", or maybe wishful thinking. An example that comes to mind is when I crash landed a small plane after loosing an engine (a rod came out through the block while 14 miles out over lake Michigan). I walked away from that without a scratch, but I'm damn sure not going to suggest others will have the same luck.....

Last edited:
Bosch states in there manual that the motor is rated to IP54. My guess is that if you submerge or pressure wash your motor and it fails that your warranty will be void and you will be paying the repair bill yourself.

So ride your e-bike during dry days only. I know my e-bikes are weather-proof and intend to ride 5000 miles on them this year.

I know the OP has a premium German e-bike with latest Bosch motor and just want to encourage him not to be afraid.

Anyone else: name your motor 😊

Back