Riding through water...

Sounds like you've been lucky so far and many more might be the same but seems like you shouldn't be able to advocate to others that their motors are waterproof?

Based on the lack of substantive proof here one could surmise that motor A is more waterproof than motor B & vice-versa.

If you ride Bafang, limit yourself to sunny days 😊

Had mine out several times this week in snow and slush and then came home and hosed it off without concern.
Difference is I never thought it to be a great achievement or that I'd have to tell anyone about it as if it was one

Bosch gen2 CX isn't waterproof had two failures. 1st had rusty bearings. 2nd with addition bearing seal failed after 2days of riding offroad in steady rain. I didn't ride through creeks or deep puddles. Fine during two days, on 3rd day in dry conditions it stopped after first half hour. May have been unrelated failure but suspect it was water ingress.

New motors are meant to be more waterproof but I'd never take one through water that would reach motor.

I couldn't find anything. Can you please direct me to that info ?
Here you go. This YouTuber’s bafang motor threw a motor error code riding through water. He also states that despite it supposedly having 95nm of torque it felt way less powerful than all the other more reputable motors like Shimano,Yamaha, Bosch,Brose,Mahle.

Here you go. This YouTuber’s bafang motor threw a motor error code riding through water. He also states that despite it supposedly having 95nm of torque it felt way less powerful than all the other more reputable motors like Shimano,Yamaha, Bosch,Brose,Mahle.

You said "lots of People were shocking themselves" . I didn't hear that. I have the Ultra which is quite different.

Bafang and most other Chinese motor manufacturers have always exaggerated performance claims. My wife bought a NCM bike with the 95nm mid-drive and there was no way it was even close to my Cube in performance. 5 assist levels, first 3 did bugger all, 4 was ‘meh’ and 5 was just about ok, but nowhere near 95nm torque. Here’s the link:

Chinese motors compared.

No one was shocked?
Also note that this was a homemade bike. Did he attempt to adjust the programming? No mention. And he didn't say it wasn't as powerful, he said the power curve was more natural and not immediate off the line. I know that can be adjusted on the simpler BBS02B.
What was the error code? Was it his wiring?
But it only took you 3 weeks to find this so... GOOD JOB! 👍

Last edited:
Bafang and most other Chinese motor manufacturers have always exaggerated performance claims. My wife bought a NCM bike with the 95nm mid-drive and there was no way it was even close to my Cube in performance. 5 assist levels, first 3 did bugger all, 4 was ‘meh’ and 5 was just about ok, but nowhere near 95nm torque. Here’s the link:

Chinese motors compared.
Those are hub motors. Have you ridden an Ultra powered bike ? Buckets of torque compared to euroweenie motors

The issue is that they regularly exaggerate their figures. If they lie about this they are likely to lie about everything else like their resistance to water etc.

You said "lots of People were shocking themselves" . I didn't hear that. I have the Ultra which is quite different.
I heard him say he was shocked by the bafang motors weakness up the hill and the motor error code after riding through the puddle.

He says it at 4:22 in the video.

No one was shocked?
Also note that this was a homemade bike. Did he attempt to adjust the programming? No mention. And he didn't say it wasn't as powerful, he said the power curve was more natural and not immediate off the line. I know that can be adjusted on the simpler BBS02B.
What was the error code? Was it his wiring?
But it only took you 3 weeks to find this so... GOOD JOB! 👍

Video was released yesterday. There are countless other videos on bafang.

The issue is that they regularly exaggerate their figures. If they lie about this they are likely to lie about everything else like their resistance to water etc.
Kinda like you are
Video was released yesterday. There are countless other videos on bafang.
Yeah... I heard that 3 weeks. I guess up until now 0 would be considered countless.
And it still doesn't address what you originally claimed or what I pointed out about the video.

Kinda like you are

Yeah... I heard that 3 weeks. I guess up until now 0 would be considered countless.
And it still doesn't address what you originally claimed or what I pointed out about the video.
He was disappointed in the bafangs performance and durability, he made that clear in the video.

He was happy with the chinesium carbon frame so far.

Just laughing at those trying to deflect the fact their "premium" brand isn't actually waterproof by turning this into another bash bafang thread.... :D

Just laughing at those trying to deflect the fact their "premium" brand isn't actually waterproof by turning this into another bash bafang thread.... :D
The First Law of Online Forums: given enough time, all threads will eventually descend into inane binary arguments.

I'm more worried about rain ingress to the cockpit electronics than water around the motor.

The hate for Bafang is strong. On my fourth year without repairs.

Back