Please Critique the 2019 Trek Powerfly 5 as a Practical Car Replacement Strategy

BikeMike

Please Critique the 2019 Trek Powerfly 5 as a Practical Car Replacement Strategy

Powerfly5US_19_23180_A_Primary

Finding a “commuter” bike with decent “cargo” capability might be an unreasonable tradeoff. Cargo and commuter bikes have different braking characteristics. Good braking requires low placement of weight. The top platform of a rear rack is too high to be the ideal location to carry weight. A rack container may also prevent you from making evasive maneuvers by moving your weight over the back wheel. I often reflexively get off my seat to shift my weight back backwards.

1533040106797-png.24097

My car replacement adventure starts with a few steps into the foggy realm of eBike transportation. For the past two years, I rode my ordinary pedal bicycles three times the distance that I drove my car. I rode 100+ miles per week through the Denver winters. I naturally pedal between 20 to 25mph on the flats, so I prefer a pedal bike over a motorized bike, under normal conditions, loads and time constraints.

I sold my car, so the cost of a new eBike and a second battery is not an issue. I feel that only 20 to 40 days per year, e.g., 10%, are completely unrideable for me. I am willing to take a bus or taxi for the other days that are only manageable in one direction, e.g., (25%). The biggest impediments for me are midday heat, wind, daylight hours and wet surfaces.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...-hardtail/powerfly-5/p/23180/?colorCode=black

I reasons that favor buying the 2019 Trek Powerfly 5 are:

1. The battery in enclosed in the frame, which offers some protection from the elements.
  2. The hardtail is the only option that allows for a full rack, which allows me to carry a second battery above the wheel.
  3. The 12mm rear axle allows a Burley trailer to be attached.
  4. The rims have a 40mm inner width, that allows for 2.4 inch tires
  5. The brakes can be upgraded to dual brake pads, for adequate stopping power with 300 pounds total weight, including cargo.
  6. The Nyon display allows me to manually configure battery power for different assist levels.
  7. The Nyon displays battery usage as a percent, to maximize battery life by never falling below a 40% charge.
  8. The kickstand supports up to 250 pounds of weight to load cargo onto the bike.
  9. I could adapt the Trek Bontrager Interchange base plate to support a cargo box on the rack.
  10. The rims are tubeless.
  11. Fender attachement bosses

The reasons why I might reject the 2019 Trek Powerfly 5 are:

1. Walk mode is disabled by Trek, which makes the bike dangerous for crossing busy intersections when it weighs 100 pounds with cargo. This thought actually frightens me.
  2. The 100mm front fork travel may not be adequate for abrupt stops at 300 pounds.
  3. I might not find a cargo bike with a compatible 500wH Bosch Powerpack battery.
  4. The total weight limit for the bike is 300 pounds. I have not gotten an exact explanation for the weight limit, but I can only imagine the limit is related to stopping distance at 20mph for 300 pounds.
  5. At a lean 210 pounds, the 55 pound bike might be impractical for me, with a 300 pound weight limit.
  6. The maximum cargo capacity may be inconvenient for weekly perishable food shopping.
  7. Bosch has production ABS brakes for eBikes, which might be worth waiting a few months for.
  8. Evidently, the light wires cannot be internally integrated?
  9. No upgrade available for 15 tooth ring, apparently.
  10. Braking for heavy cargo necessitates the weight be distributed low over the rear wheel, rather than high over the rear rack.

Carrying 30 pounds of food per trip seems reasonable. The tubeless Powerfly tires are 2.4 inches wide. I imagine the tires make a stable contact patch to balance heavy weight because the tubeless tires are ridden at low air pressure levels.

Paying Walmart $10 to deliver food once or twice per month for bulky or heavy items is necessary without a cargo bike. Making two trips per week by bike is not a problem, because I can bike to Walmart in less than ten minutes on my ordinary pedal bike.

The entire 1.5 mile return route is a consistent 2% grade. I will brake the entire way back to keep the speed under 15 mph. I coast the entire route at about 15 to 20mph on my pedal bike. I am waiting to hear back from Trek about the most appropriate brakes. I would love to hear your suggestions.

I ordered the same brakes as on the highest specified mountain bike, the Powerfly 9.7. The Shimano MT520 4-piston Kolben hydraulic disc brakes would replace the stock Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc on the PowerFly 5. I believe the rotors are 203mm?

Since I do not know how to calculate stopping power, I decided to err on the conservative side. Perhaps, these brakes are overkill and will throw me over the handlebars? I reason that I need at least two brake pads for each caliper to keep the wear and heat to a minimum. 203mm rotors dissipate heat best. My Yeti ASR-C has Shimano Deore XT hydraulic brakes with 180mm rotors. I love the brakes.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I assume the front shocks will have enough travel for stopping with a 300 pound load? Waiting to hear back from Trek. I would love to read your feedback. Details:

1. RockShox Judy Silver TK, Solo Air, rebound adjust,
  2. TurnKey hydraulic lockout, tapered steerer,
  3. G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, Boost110, 100mm travel

Some other items in the order that I appreciate feedback about are listed below:

1. Nyon display to manually optimize battery power levels and battery life for different modes.
  2. A second battery for longer distance and redundancy in case of failure.
  3. Kickstand
  4. The same light as on the Super Commuter+ 8
    • Integrated Supernova M99 Pure+ Headlight (1,000 Lumen, Light Sensor Mode Control),
    • Integrated Supernova E3 3-LED Backlight
  5. The tubeless tire most similar to Schwalbe Super Moto-X, 27.5x2.4˝. Waiting to hear back from Trek.

I hope to fit 30 pounds of food into these rack containers, that seem quite small. I would love to hear what you think about the carrying capacity of these baskets and bag.

Bontrager BackRack Disc | Trek Bikes
www.trekbikes.com
Enhance your cycling experience with Bontrager BackRack Disc. Shop now for FREE shipping on orders over $49!

This pannier basket easily attaches any Electra rear rack. is: (12x12x9 in). Unsure whether it attaches to Bontrager Interchange system.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...-rack-pannier-basket/p/12612/?colorCode=black

1532964991173.png

Electra Steel Mesh Rear Rack Pannier Basket | Trek Bikes
www.trekbikes.com
Enhance your cycling experience with Electra Steel Mesh Rear Rack Pannier Basket.

Last edited:
I've been doing without a car for ~5 years now. I found grocery delivery unconvenient. They missed a lot of things in the store ("out of stock") and charged me full price for everything instead of the 40% hit rate I get on special prices when I shop myself.
I gross up to 320 lb without a motor or battery. I weigh 165. Keeping the weight in rear racks on a 26" mountain bike unbalenced the bike enough that I went over the handlebars onto my chin 5 times in 5 years. I would hit a speed bump, pile of gravel , high pavement separator, or stick, the front wheel would whip sideways, the front tire would grab and the seat kick me up in the air. "holding on" as the guys on roadbike review suggested, is not a solution. The last time I broke my chin at 25 mph downhill. I've since bought a real cargo bike with stretch frame behind the seat to put more of my weight on the front wheel. (yubabikes bodaboda) So far so good. I have taken the front mount holes to install a front aluminum rack, to put some of the liquids, or the battery, on the front for more balance. This drags me down in high winds, but I haven't fallen off this one yet. About 1 mph off my usual 9 mph unpowered speed with a 13 mph headwind.
I think your brake plans are overkill. I can stop 320 lb from 30 mph in about 25'. 10 mph in about 5 '.
I have 160 mm tektro mechanical disk brakes. Of course I don't have long downgrades, the usual here is about 15% for 120'.
I find carrying the cargo high is not a problem, especially if I put weight on the front rack. Without, a 50 lb rear only load will kick the front wheel up in the air and make it difficult to mount. I carry a lot of 2 L diet soda, and gallons of weed killer to my country summer camp. Plus bike and mower parts.
I've tried to power my bodaboda cargo bike with a rear hub, but ebikes.com said my gross weight was too much for their geared hub and wouldn't sell me one. Geared hubs don't drag with the battery dead, they have an internal clutch. I tried to buy one made in Switzerland for $2100 but none of the US "distributors" will answer my e-mail. However, the 1000 W geared hub from ebikeling.com only lasts 13 miles before losing power and blanking out. Last month I bought a $179 direct drive 1000 W wheel from e-bay to see how badly a direct drive drug without power, and the first 20 miles were okay. Then something changed and it was like dragging a dead whale, I couldn't get over 1/2 mph in granny gear. I had to call for a ride the 21 miles home. Needless to say, the vendor doesn't answer email when I requested to send it back.
So your chosen bike may be fine powered, but the frame doesn't impress me as being especially strong. I've had an import frame separate at the headstock and stab me in the belly, no more of that. There is no special provision on the trek for a front rack. Even screw holes in the front wheel flange for rack supports would be a help. My bike has tube lined 1/4" ID holes in welded in the frame to suspend a front rack, so the load doesn't rotate with the front fork. BTW, this bike has no fenders or bracket mount holes , so in bad weather you're going to have a muddy stripe up your back. I can blast through puddles without even getting my shoes wet. Of course, I go 9 mph, not 20.
Best of luck shopping.

Last edited:
What kind of rims and tires do you use, the original ones?.

Thanks, you confirmed my suspicions. I need two special purpose eBikes, one for cargo and one for commuting.

Can you recommend a cargo bike with a Bosch Power Tube 500wH ? The Trek battery is fully integrated into the downtube.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/news/powertube-500/

csm_Bosch-eBike_03_bosche-bike_powertube500-v2_643a072d83.jpg

Last edited:
I think the yubabikes.com mondo is using banda mid drive. A picture comes up on their home page. Check out their spec sheet. they don't sell the electric mid drive bodaboda anymore. the mondo has a 20" rear wheel, which I would find too rough on rural indiana roads. In a civilized city on good pavement, it could be fine. 20" rear wheel gets your load CG lower. Look at the specs carefully, I have especially short legs (28" inseam) and bought the small size frame for that. You obviously are bigger than me. I bought the drop frame too, at age 68 lifting my foot over a center bar is too hard (muscle stiffness).
My bodaboda has aluminum 26" rims for 2.1" tires, which are quite strong. Turned out my spare tire out in the country had a 40 psi inflation limit, so I bottomed out the rear rim on the road about 2 dozen times last week on my way to town. It didn't dent the rim. However, I was lightly loaded, since I carry the supplies out TO the country, not back from.
There is a steel frame cargo bike made in Portland, and a place in Michigan has a lot of cargo bikes, but not electric ones so far. Do a search on cargo bikes. ("freight bikes" gets UPS & FedEx, wrong word). There is xtracycle and there is also a place in phoenix I think. I went with the aluminum frame. Cost me $1500 and worth every penny if I don't fall off on my chin again.

Two ebikes, or alter your plan some. My wife and I sold one of our cars when we got ebikes. We use the Wald folding baskets for shopping trips. You can get the equivalent of two full paper grocery sacks in each. (We use canvas totes which are just the right size for the baskets.) So, we go to the grocery store more often instead of trying to carry heavy loads. We bought our bikes with commuting in mind; shopping is secondary but totally doable. I have carried some heavy and awkward loads (like a new broom.)

So to sum it up, brute force is not the answer for us. We do some shopping every time we go in to town on other errands (work, doctor, whatever) and so more trips = lighter loads.

With that in mind, any good quality bike that you're comfortable on will do the job.

Grocery run.jpg

I think the yubabikes.com mondo is using banda mid drive. A picture comes up on their home page. Check out their spec sheet. they don't sell the electric mid drive bodaboda anymore. the mondo has a 20" rear wheel, which I would find too rough on rural indiana roads. In a civilized city on good pavement, it could be fine. 20" rear wheel gets your load CG lower. Look at the specs carefully, I have especially short legs (28" inseam) and bought the small size frame for that. You obviously are bigger than me. I bought the drop frame too, at age 68 lifting my foot over a center bar is too hard (muscle stiffness).
My bodaboda has aluminum 26" rims for 2.1" tires, which are quite strong. Turned out my spare tire out in the country had a 40 psi inflation limit, so I bottomed out the rear rim on the road about 2 dozen times last week on my way to town. It didn't dent the rim. However, I was lightly loaded, since I carry the supplies out TO the country, not back from.
There is a steel frame cargo bike made in Portland, and a place in Michigan has a lot of cargo bikes, but not electric ones so far. Do a search on cargo bikes. ("freight bikes" gets UPS & FedEx, wrong word). There is xtracycle and there is also a place in phoenix I think. I went with the aluminum frame. Cost me $1500 and worth every penny if I don't fall off on my chin again.

Nice bike. My problem is now battery compatibility. That bike is a Shimano motor. The battery is some external brand, which will not work for me.

https://yubabikes.com/cargobikestore/electric-boda-shimano

Two ebikes, or alter your plan some. My wife and I sold one of our cars when we got ebikes. We use the Wald folding baskets for shopping trips. You can get the equivalent of two full paper grocery sacks in each. (We use canvas totes which are just the right size for the baskets.) So, we go to the grocery store more often instead of trying to carry heavy loads. We bought our bikes with commuting in mind; shopping is secondary but totally doable. I have carried some heavy and awkward loads (like a new broom.)

So to sum it up, brute force is not the answer for us. We do some shopping every time we go in to town on other errands (work, doctor, whatever) and so more trips = lighter loads.

With that in mind, any good quality bike that you're comfortable on will do the job.

View attachment 24080

How many pounds of food in your picture?

In my case, I could get away with an ordinary pedal cargo bike. The return ride is straight downhill. I need brakes, not power.

Mike ...

An eMTB is fundamentally a fun machine.

I cannot think of any way in which my Trek Powerfly 5 could be considered as a practical replacement for my VW Golf. The Powerfly's motor vehicle equivalent is a peace-destroying, environmentally-insensitive trail bike; the Golf's ebike equivalent is a Tern GSD or an R&M Packster or Load.

If your heart is set on the Powerfly, of course, go ahead with your project. I doubt that you'll regret your choice but I suspect that it won't tick the "practical car replacement strategy" box.

... David

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get mating connectors for your existing battery, you can convert anything to anything. I'm using a motorscooter battery (square) with crimp on .157" bullet connectors from the auto supply. I cut the original andersen connector off, but have since found mating connectors for that at parts-express.com. Use a klein or ideal crimp tool on bullet connectors and pull test after crimping for good results. Note dorman, ideal, panduit and 3m bullet connectors are fine to 30 amps (1200 W) but the ****ese madeimitations sold at R**** S**** formerly and now on amazon, probably, will melt out at 30 amps.
I find an ugly bike with all the wires showing inhibits theft somewhat. "What is all that?". I caged my battery in aluminum angle to inhibit theft. Elastic stop nuts make the screws hard to undo without the proper size combination wrench. So far a master 1/4" cable and master security 10 lock has protected my bike everywhere I go, which includes into some miscellaneious neighborhoods. One place my tire got stabbed with a knife, but the bike was still there.
Multiple trips to my property 30 miles out won't work. 50 lb supplies is the usual. I've also carried home a 6000 BTA air conditioner, and yesterday, 6 gallon fresh water and a 30"x48" piece of plywood I found on the road. 10' of water pipe, lumber, or aluminum stock will fit on the back and front racks passing between my legs. When I move furniture, I rent a U-haul truck. else I bike it.

How many pounds of food in your picture?

In my case, I could get away with an ordinary pedal cargo bike. The return ride is straight downhill. I need brakes, not power.
Two baskets full. Veggies, milk, canned goods, cereal, etc. Didn't weigh 'em. If I had to guess, 12-15 pounds per basket.

But if you're asking about weight, you missed my point.

Any decent bike is going to have good enough brakes. Also, unless you are doing really long trips, you're not going to need a second battery. My bike has 5 levels of pedal assist. Using PAS generously, I can get over 40 miles on a charge. Using only the lower two, I can get 60. There's a guy on the Juiced Bikes forum who does a 60 mile (round trip) commute every day. Granted he has a large battery. I always tell people, get the biggest battery you can, so range anxiety isn't a problem.

Find a store that has ebikes for rent and go wring one out. We can tell you that you're overthinking it and you won't believe us until you actually get on one and see what it can do.

Mike ...

An eMTB is fundamentally a fun machine.

I cannot think of any way in which my Trek Powerfly 5 could be considered as a substitute for my VW Golf. The Powerfly's motor vehicle equivalent is a peace-destroying, environmentally-insensitive trail bike; the Golf's ebike equivalent is a Tern GSD or an R&M Packster.

... David
Both bikes are very nice. Cargo is a secondary purpose for me. Those bikes are fully justified as a primary bike. I would be happy with an ordinary pedaling trike.

Two baskets full. Veggies, milk, canned goods, cereal, etc. Didn't weigh 'em. If I had to guess, 12-15 pounds per basket.

But if you're asking about weight, you missed my point.

Any decent bike is going to have good enough brakes. Also, unless you are doing really long trips, you're not going to need a second battery. My bike has 5 levels of pedal assist. Using PAS generously, I can get over 40 miles on a charge. Using only the lower two, I can get 60. There's a guy on the Juiced Bikes forum who does a 60 mile (round trip) commute every day. Granted he has a large battery. I always tell people, get the biggest battery you can, so range anxiety isn't a problem.

Find a store that has ebikes for rent and go wring one out. We can tell you that you're overthinking it and you won't believe us until you actually get on one and see what it can do.

I have actually ridden seven electric bikes.

You see, sometimes I go for a casual bike ride around the block on my pedal bike. I sometimes wind up riding for 40 miles. I would appreciate the extra battery for the foothills, like the Red Rocks area.

As for ebike replacing a car (where you have no car?) I'd say it will replace the shorter trips of under 20 mi. However, you also need to decide how much the weather will be a factor in you wanting to or willing to ride your ebike.

For needing to haul big things or going out of town then you'll want a car or van, but you can always rent one for the specific need.

If you can get mating connectors for your existing battery, you can convert anything to anything. I'm using a motorscooter battery (square) with crimp on .157" bullet connectors from the auto supply. I cut the original andersen connector off, but have since found mating connectors for that at parts-express.com. Use a klein or ideal crimp tool on bullet connectors and pull test after crimping for good results. Note dorman, ideal, panduit and 3m bullet connectors are fine to 30 amps (1200 W) but the ****ese madeimitations sold at R**** S**** formerly and now on amazon, probably, will melt out at 30 amps.
I find an ugly bike with all the wires showing inhibits theft somewhat. "What is all that?". I caged my battery in aluminum angle to inhibit theft. Elastic stop nuts make the screws hard to undo without the proper size combination wrench. So far a master 1/4" cable and master security 10 lock has protected my bike everywhere I go, which includes into some miscellaneious neighborhoods. One place my tire got stabbed with a knife, but the bike was still there.
Multiple trips to my property 30 miles out won't work. 50 lb supplies is the usual. I've also carried home a 6000 BTA air conditioner, and yesterday, 6 gallon fresh water and a 30"x48" piece of plywood I found on the road. 10' of water pipe, lumber, or aluminum stock will fit on the back and front racks passing between my legs. When I move furniture, I rent a U-haul truck. else I bike it.

How do you know if the controller and battery management system are compatible? Or, does the controller simply draw power through a standard interface?

As for ebike replacing a car (where you have no car?) I'd say it will replace the shorter trips of under 20 mi. However, you also need to decide how much the weather will be a factor in you wanting to or willing to ride your ebike.

For needing to haul big things or going out of town then you'll want a car or van, but you can always rent one for the specific need.

Yes, I agree. I have a one mile radius (food) and 12 mile radius (RTD train station, my mother's place) that is 95% of my travels. I ride within that radius a few times per week.

Downtown Denver is a 20 mile radius. I bike to Denver on the bike paths, too. That is 5% of my riding.

Beyond 20 miles, I have good non-bike options.

I've been doing without a car for ~5 years now. I found grocery delivery unconvenient. They missed a lot of things in the store ("out of stock") and charged me full price for everything instead of the 40% hit rate I get on special prices when I shop myself.
I gross up to 320 lb without a motor or battery. I weigh 165. Keeping the weight in rear racks on a 26" mountain bike unbalenced the bike enough that I went over the handlebars onto my chin 5 times in 5 years. I would hit a speed bump, pile of gravel , high pavement separator, or stick, the front wheel would whip sideways, the front tire would grab and the seat kick me up in the air. "holding on" as the guys on roadbike review suggested, is not a solution. The last time I broke my chin at 25 mph downhill. I've since bought a real cargo bike with stretch frame behind the seat to put more of my weight on the front wheel. (yubabikes bodaboda) So far so good. I have taken the front mount holes to install a front aluminum rack, to put some of the liquids, or the battery, on the front for more balance. This drags me down in high winds, but I haven't fallen off this one yet. About 1 mph off my usual 9 mph unpowered speed with a 13 mph headwind.
I think your brake plans are overkill. I can stop 320 lb from 30 mph in about 25'. 10 mph in about 5 '.
I have 160 mm tektro mechanical disk brakes. Of course I don't have long downgrades, the usual here is about 15% for 120'.
I find carrying the cargo high is not a problem, especially if I put weight on the front rack. Without, a 50 lb rear only load will kick the front wheel up in the air and make it difficult to mount. I carry a lot of 2 L diet soda, and gallons of weed killer to my country summer camp. Plus bike and mower parts.
I've tried to power my bodaboda cargo bike with a rear hub, but ebikes.com said my gross weight was too much for their geared hub and wouldn't sell me one. Geared hubs don't drag with the battery dead, they have an internal clutch. I tried to buy one made in Switzerland for $2100 but none of the US "distributors" will answer my e-mail. However, the 1000 W geared hub from ebikeling.com only lasts 13 miles before losing power and blanking out. Last month I bought a $179 direct drive 1000 W wheel from e-bay to see how badly a direct drive drug without power, and the first 20 miles were okay. Then something changed and it was like dragging a dead whale, I couldn't get over 1/2 mph in granny gear. I had to call for a ride the 21 miles home. Needless to say, the vendor doesn't answer email when I requested to send it back.
So your chosen bike may be fine powered, but the frame doesn't impress me as being especially strong. I've had an import frame separate at the headstock and stab me in the belly, no more of that. There is no special provision on the trek for a front rack. Even screw holes in the front wheel flange for rack supports would be a help. My bike has tube lined 1/4" ID holes in welded in the frame to suspend a front rack, so the load doesn't rotate with the front fork. BTW, this bike has no fenders or bracket mount holes , so in bad weather you're going to have a muddy stripe up your back. I can blast through puddles without even getting my shoes wet. Of course, I go 9 mph, not 20.
Best of luck shopping.

Indianjo,

Would you now choose a trike for more stability, after your accident?

I think putting more than 15 pounds on a two wheeled bike unbalances the bike. For example, if I buy a twelve pack of beer and put it in my backpack, I feel like my stability is compromised more than I like.

Mike

I’ve been using e-bike exclusively for a little over a year, but different country (Switzerland).

I use public transportation about 40 days a year, mostly out of an excess of prudence when it rains or the temps are too low. Using an e-bike means frequent trips to the mall, but it’s only 2 miles away. As for work, that’s only six miles.

The biggest challenge for me is is to keep the bike running without issues. That means planning ahead. I always have extra rotors, extra break pads, an extra cassette, an extra rear wheel, hydraulic brake fluid, all sorts of bike tools, spare CR2032 batteries, spare wheel magnets, etc. But the unexpected always breaks down. The rear wheel broke twice (once it was the hub and once the freehub).

The biggest issue I’ve had is that Haibike’s EU support is abysmally poor, and repairs under warranty are never honored in a timely fashion (that is, if they are honored at all). Haibike simply makes you wait months and months for a warranty replacement until you ‘give up’ and buy the parts yourself. It’s honestly the worst customer experience I’ve ever had in my life. If the Yamaha drive breaks on my Haibike, I’ll be forced to buy a new bike ASAP. Because I know it will take months to replace the drive. I’m saying this because you’re in the US, and the Cross Current is a good bike for which most of the parts are readily available. You asked for negatives about the Trek, I’ll give you one: the Bosch drive is a proprietary closed source system. That means that you run the risk of being taken hostage by either your LBS or Trek. I’ve owned my bike for 14 months and have waited on 2 warranty replacements for a grand total of 4 months. But instead of waiting, I purchased the parts myself. Because I had no other choice.

As someone who has no car, I think you should ask yourself these questions:

- How many days can I live without my e-bike?
- How good will the support from my LBS be? If the bike breaks down, will I be loaned a replacement?

An acquaintance has an e-bike with a Bosch drive and it broke down. The time to replace the drive was 9 weeks. The delay was more the fault of the LBS than Bosch because the LBS was slow to file the paperwork, and their only Bosch mechanic was absent for a couple of weeks. So she was without an e-bike for over 2 months, which was only a minor annoyance because she has a car. But for someone who depends exclusively on an e-bike that would be catastrophic. So my best recommendation to you would be to think about the logistics involved if you have a breakdown and the repair process is lengthy. You will probably need a plan B.

JayVee,

? Thank you, very much! I was thinking a second battery would be the worst case.

I realize that I am buying into a walled garden, like Apple iPhone vs. Google Android. I just take the good with the bad. I'd rather pay a premium to protect against the downside. So, I cast my lot with Bosch.

I think the batteries are more vulnerable than the motor, but I could be mistaken. I prefer the battery pack to be standardized. I do not like the flexibility that Browse offers. All a bike manufacturer has to do is place the cells a little too close to each other and the entire battery overheats in weird circumstances. The motor obviously shuts down when the battery overheats. A single bike manufacturer cannot adequately test the wide variety of conditions that every rider encounters, like a battery supplier like Bosch can.

I tested a Haibike. The tire was flat when I returned. The frame felt like an old aluminum bike from the 1980s.

The lack of service is exactly what drove me away from Riese & Mueller. My impression is the Super Charger is far superior technology to the Trek Powerfly. The Super Charger is a very nice bike to ride! R&M has just one retailer for the entire state of Colorado, 15 miles away from me. The Trek store is filled with hundreds of bikes, just a few miles away. Trek offers a lifetime warranty on the frame. R&M just two years, unless you register with 30 days, for an additional three years. Huh?

My fallback plan is to take the bus or RTD Call-n-Ride shuttle. I rode by bike last Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. The weather is rarely an issue for me. My body breaks down more than my bikes. But my bikes do need constant servicing.

Walmart delivers food for $10, so I am covered on that front.

You bring up a most important point: one of the things that is truly missing is some sort of reliability report or standardized approach for people to follow. Perhaps, that is the domain of Consumer Reports? Making judgments based on generalities is dangerous. I really do not know the safe path.

I really do not know what my exposure is with Bosch. I doubt Trek will provide a loaner eBike. I think the best way to protect myself is become some sort of eBike apprentice at Trek.

Mike

Last edited:
No fenders jumps out at me. Doesn't it rain where you live? When you get water running down your crack, it's no fun in my book!

No fenders jumps out at me. Doesn't it rain where you live? When you get water running down your crack, it's no fun in my book!

That's funny. But, yes it has fender bosses.

1532978609263.png

Here's a list of the extras that I have requested, so far:

1. Fenders
  2. Rear rack
  3. Rear rack trunk bag
  4. Tubless Tires with tread like Schwable Super Moto-X
  5. Hydraulic Brakes like my Yeti Shimano XT Deore 180mm
  6. ? Top tube bag and metal container to carry a second battery, rather than rack container?
  7. Kickstand
  8. Lights like Super Commuter+ 8
  9. Nyon display
  10. Baskets
  11. Pedals
  12. Second Battery
  13. Bontrager Interchange base plate to adapt a box to rack
  14. ?

Last edited:
JayVee,

Thank you, very much! I was thinking a second battery would be the worst case.

I realize that I am buying into a walled garden, like Apple iPhone vs. Google Android. I just take the good with the bad. I'd rather pay a premium to protect against the downside. So, I cast my lot with Bosch.

I tested a Haibike. The tire was flat when I returned. The frame felt like an old aluminum bike from the 1980s.

The lack of service is exactly what drove me away from Riese & Mueller. My impression is the Super Charger is far superior technology to the Trek Powerfly. The Super Charger is a very nice bike to ride! R&M has just one retailer for the entire state of Colorado, 15 miles away from me. The Trek store is filled with hundreds of bikes, just a few miles away.

My fallback plan is to take the bus or RTD Call-n-Ride shuttle. I rode by bike last Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. The weather is rarely an issue for me. My body breaks down more than my bikes. But my bikes do need constant servicing.

Walmart delivers food for $10, so I am covered on that front.

Mike

JayVee,

Have you considered getting some type of mechanics certification? I would like to my own maintenance, but am afraid of voiding the warranty. I would take classes for the knowledge, even though I would never repair other bikes.

Mike

Back