REI ebikes under $1k--Co-op Generation 1.1 or 1.2?

rj59

Region
USA
REI is having a remarkable sale on their Generation ebikes, with the 1.1 for $800 and the 1.2 for $1000. Both have a Bafang 350W hub drive, with the same 80 Nm torque, and Tektro hydraulic brakes. The lower model has a front suspension fork, whereas the higher has a front cargo rack. The only other difference I see is that the 1.2 has a higher battery, 672 watt hours vs 417 on the 1.2, with an estimated increase in 10 miles in range. Both models have also been upgraded to a 48T front ring, after many complaints about the previous 42T ring. They look like the Rad Runner bikes, which now cost more, have cheaper components, and weight over 20 lbs more (the REI bikes are 54 lbs), although Rad has 750W motors. To me it's a no-brainer to get a quality ebike for under $1000 with REI assembly, warranty and service, and I think the higher model is worth an extra $200 for a larger battery. The rear rack with 20" wheels also looks too short and small to carry most panniers, so I like the idea of a front rack on the 1.2 for cargo. My city is plagued by bike thieves, too, so at that price point I would feel less pain if it was stolen.

Suspension is nicer with smaller 20" tires, but my favorite 20" bikes are solid forks and I'd rather not have the extra weight. If you're only going to have one battery, then you definitely want the larger one. What color are yo getting?

I can't believe there isn't more discussion out there on these bikes. I haven't tested one, but seeing them in person left me very impressed.

The headlight and stem on the 1.2 was identical to my $4750 Gazelle, and the battery had even greater capacity.
What struck me most was the carrier (I'm a sucker for a front carrier...) and build quality. They seem really nicely made.
Last visit to my local REI they had 40-50 of these all lined up waiting for their owners to arrive, and were unboxing a fresh pallete.

Word is they are going on sale again soon....

Rei store finder indicates my nearest store is 20 miles southeast of Cincinnatti. Cinci is 70 miles from downtown Louisville, and 20 miles is a long walk after I get off the Greyhound in downtown Cinci. Other problem is Greyhound won't carry the bike back to Louisville unless it is a box, for an extra charge. I'll pass up this opportunity.

Last edited:
I can't believe there isn't more discussion out there on these bikes. I haven't tested one, but seeing them in person left me very impressed.

The headlight and stem on the 1.2 was identical to my $4750 Gazelle, and the battery had even greater capacity.
What struck me most was the carrier (I'm a sucker for a front carrier...) and build quality. They seem really nicely made.
Last visit to my local REI they had 40-50 of these all lined up waiting for their owners to arrive, and were unboxing a fresh pallete.

Word is they are going on sale again soon....
Just saw this and maybe they will be on sale again...my local REI has the 1.1 for $1199 and the 1.2 for $1499... Also said they are discontinued.

I don’t see the speed or lack of throttle as an issue on the 1.2 which was $1000 on sale.

Given the absolute junk people are riding around on, this seems like a quality bike with a reputable bike shop and warranty behind it.

June 2022 introduction:

1.1 Review:

Last edited:
I just bought the e1.2 and IMO it's perfectly fine. Yes it has a max speed is 20 mph (yes @CVP33 I confirmed today. Pretty sure the chain ring was upgraded), it has no throttle and has a battery of 48V/14AH...I'm fine with all of this. I've ridden it for about 10 miles and it's been fun. Also I love the service component since most DTC companies have crappy to no service (including the biggest company Rad Power Bikes).

I've ridden about 75+ ebikes at this point and I like ebikes without a throttle so I'm a bit biased ha. Btw here is a video I just published on why people should consider buying an ebike from REI (
)

Back