Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

I don’t envy you. I’ve spent weeks out on Vancouver Island (Victoria) but have never stayed there during the cold season. Winters there I’ve been told can be cold, wet and mostly cloudy but incrementally warmer than the mainland which likely receives a lot more precip. On the flip side, it’s dry over 80% of the time out on the island which has us thinking that alone might be reason enough to consider hanging our hats there permanently.
Stats suggest that we get less rain than other places but it comes slowly and regularly. Rather than in big dumps. Drippy, dreary and drizzly!

Victoria is an interesting city. We took the foot ferry up there for three days a few years ago. Had fun wandering around. I think I prefer Vancouver and we are discussing a trip if we can figure out the vax requirements both going and coming.

We did a backpack in Strathcona years ago. And many years ago, drove across Canada from NY state and crossed Vancouver Island to the coast on some gawd awful highway!

Change of the plans...

I decided it would make no sense to transport either of my e-bikes to the West Pomeranian wilderness. Were it Summer, I would not hesitate: The e-bike expertly inserted into the large rental car, a pannier with necessary tools, a helmet, and off could we go. The matter of appropriate cycling clothing for the cold season made me give the idea up. I would rather spend two days on online work from the guesthouse that take the e-bike related pain... And them wolves!

Meanwhile, a huge, modern, and expensive apartment block with its bike storage area in the southern quarter of Warsaw...

View attachment 105990
Almost any bike parked there had rotten, totally rusted drivetrain. Shame! Nobody seems to hear about drivetrain maintenance. Nobody's using a bike rain-cover. I could spot only several bikes stored in corridors of the house. Probably the only people really loving their bikes... Because elevators are huge here and there is no problem to lift a bike upstairs. Shame on you, Poles!
Thats dreadful rust....

Hides my bike

Last edited:
A ride a did a couple of weeks ago and again today. Very windy coming back. It headed north out of Moab Utah and is a very nice paved trail. The stats are from the previous identical ride the pic from today.
FEA4D9E5-DA55-49D4-8B81-F61111AB7C1F.png
DD0B2F7F-22B5-43EB-939C-961C0EA5C96B.jpeg

Heres a few pics from my visit to Bude in Cornwall after Devon.

We rented a little lodge just out of town that used to be a fishing centre, the pond us still full of huge carp and the missus, who is scared of everything smaller than a cat, was completely at ease swimming with them bumping into her.
Screenshot_20211107-223956_YouTube.jpg

Bude is right on the border with Devon and is the top part of that leg of England that sticks out under Wales.
Its a great surfing beach, full of nightlife, trendy bars and great places to eat.
Its where we filmed those morris dancers.
Screenshot_20211107-223930_YouTube.jpg

The canal went past our lodge and straight to the sea and we could cycle it in 5 minutes and walk back pissed in the dark in 50.
This is where the canal goes past the sea front bars, all very trendy and atmospheric at night.
Screenshot_20211107-224017_YouTube.jpg

The beach is dominated by a sea swimming pool and it attracts all manner of overweight people who take great delight in diving into the flokkin freezin water in the tiniest costumes possible.
The wife wears a wetsuit, fancies herself as a watersports expert but still holds her nose jumping in from 3ft.
Screenshot_20211107-224053_YouTube.jpg

Its classic British seafront, fish and chips, cornish pasties, bars with people who look like pirates and sound like them.
The local accent is very ooh and aarrr, but also has that gaining pitch and rise at the end which just has to be the ancestor of that American style that I have no idea where it comes from.
Its all errrrr at the end
I used to have it and everyone thought I was American.
I used to pronounce spider... spyduuurh.
Screenshot_20211107-230633_YouTube.jpg

Cornwall was ground zero for tin production and the old mine buildings can be found all along its coast perched precariously on the huge cliff edges with the mines extending many miles out under the sea, relying on newly invented steam pumps to keep them dry.
It was a major driver of the industrial revolution and in its day was seen as a harsh and unforgiving landscape, but now relies on tourism as the same landscale is now beautiful to modern eyes.
Theres actually few true Cornish left, the towns are full of city folk who have moved there, pushing uo house prices through the stratosphere and turning fishing villages into Kensington by the sea

Went out this late afternoon to try a new front light. Treated myself to the Moon Canopus. Found it on line in a sale at £129 GBP, reduced from £295. If you’re interested, I got it from JE James Cycles.

Turns out, it is a very good light, far more settings than I need, but if I have it on at 3000 lumens, it will run for 2’30”. So not too bad.

For the last few months, many of the cycle tracks and roads have been shut due the rebuilding of the East-West Railway (EWR) line. On this evening’s ride I went up to where I normally turn round due to the road closure, but on this occasion they were just removing the road closed and diversion signs. The chappie said to me, “that the road was now open and I would be the first cyclist to ride on the new bridge that they had been constructing”.

Not wanting to miss a record, off I went to look see. They’re still working in the area but it’s nice that the road has reopened and gives us some more flexibility where we can ride.

At the moment, it looks clean and fresh, with no graffiti daubed on it; I’ll have to see how long this lasts.

CB079C98-6844-486B-BD94-6651F43244EF.jpeg
E5BBC3DF-D32C-4AA0-9561-2186F16C5DED.jpeg
4B9373AD-0C4D-4578-BEB2-F42ECB5918DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Spring morning…

Leaving Home

Leaving home.
Tuesday, 5:30 am

R&M's front bag is loaded with breakfast goodies: hot chocolate, rusks, local fruit-in-season (aka mango & papaya), warm muffins…

A stop by to the river (as the morning mist lifts?) has been planned. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went out to ride the Natchez Trace Parkway for the first time on my ebike. I haven’t ridden it many times because I have to load my bike up and drive 20 miles to get there. The Natchez Trace Parkway is a national park highway that has limited access and no commercial truck traffic. It’s 444 miles long. I only rode out 12 miles and back.

It felt like it has more bicycles on then cars. It’s very popular with bikers. Beautiful day for a ride so I was really enjoying it.

5A8974B9-478C-4BEF-A518-72712827918F.jpeg

Just a nice cruise. No stops so my mph average got pretty inflated.
492C0230-53E3-4B4E-B89E-9F98B228B874.jpeg

9F281EDA-0B9A-49A3-8681-218DD178BD1F.jpeg

0DA92C35-E3BD-4822-A30E-AC0D4EF11C75.jpeg
72B8637E-2511-4AF2-A1EB-DDE1597A15CE.jpeg
5E71C0B9-D0C6-4584-AEDF-00E1F179453F.jpeg
AAAF6E9D-4821-4F0B-B9A0-9F25E81D004B.jpeg
2083F8E0-EC5E-4830-9047-BA1CC3010476.jpeg
206E0B05-063B-44A2-AFE8-7D84FA1258DE.jpeg

I like pulling my bike out and riding but that is a ride that is worth loading it up and driving out to.

Spring morning…

View attachment 106223
Leaving home.
Tuesday, 5:30 am

R&M's front bag is loaded with breakfast goodies: hot chocolate, rusks, local fruit-in-season (aka mango & papaya), warm muffins…

A stop by to the river (as the morning mist lifts?) has been planned. We'll see.
Rough life you have there. I hope there was a restaurant nearby to get some real food! ;)

Change of the plans...

Almost any bike parked there had rotten, totally rusted drivetrain. Shame! Nobody seems to hear about drivetrain maintenance. Nobody's using a bike rain-cover. I could spot only several bikes stored in corridors of the house. Probably the only people really loving their bikes... Because elevators are huge here and there is no problem to lift a bike upstairs. Shame on you, Poles!
Signs of a good sex life:
3E7E6AFE-5E52-4300-A11E-57CBF0BF1985.png

Yesterday was a bit on the chilly side but with current daytime/night temps still hovering above the historical average, it’s hard to find reason to complain. With balaclava fitted under my helmet and warmer gloves on to keep warm from the biting wind, there wasn't much else to do but continue on riding. :cool:

Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 09-08-36 Red Deer, Alberta 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network.jpg

Portions of Waskasoo Creek were frozen over as I made my way towards the trail head.

IMG_20211108_1417470.jpg

IMG_20211108_1417342.jpg

The entry down into MacKenzie Bluff.
IMG_20211108_1240508.jpg

GH011197_Moment.2jpg.jpg

Negotiating a tricky slope near the top of the embankment.

GH011199_Moment.jpg

View from the top of the Bluff
IMG_20211108_1258026.jpg

Log strewn and root riddled sections of the Pine’s single track.
GH021201_Moment3.jpg

GH021201_Moment4.jpg

A brief stop over at Heritage Ranch paddock to visit a few familiar friends. What's up with the long faces? ;)
IMG_20211108_1405560.jpg

The trails continue to be in bare, excellent condition with the exception of leaves covering some sections at The Pines. Bonus wildlife feature at 4:45 of the video.

Three brothers and a friend

Cattle : Fairney View, Queensland

Mist Rising: Fairney View
Alongside Brisbane Valley RT

I wasn't too confident in coming home from my misty breakfast ride with anything to share. Photos of cattle? Yes: I was desperate!

'Line up in proper order for your photo!' I hollered at the stragglers.

And they did: 248, 249, 250! (But no smiles.)

3 Young Brahmans

I've no idea who their white friend with the green ear tag was.

Oh, the simple pleasures of a morning ebike ride in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings from the West Pomeranian Wilderness!

So Brix and I are in Tuczno (Tütz) in the West Pomerania, Poland. I was wondering what really made the area so depopulated and far less picturesque than you can see on this old photo:
20211109_182526-01.jpeg

The answer is: World War II.

The area we are currently in was one of the last defence lines of the German Army in 1945, and it was known as the Pomeranian Wall. The fight was especially heavy in Tütz, leaving the town almost completely demolished.
School buildings have survived. And now we live at a guesthouse made in the former school.

EDIT: The text in italics is wrong. The fighting didn't involve Tütz. After the Soviet Army entered the town, the usual war atrocities were completed with looting, exploding the castle (later rebuilt), and demolishing almost all of buildings. The bricks from demolition were later used to rebuild Warsaw that had been earlier demolished by the Nazi... Sad stories.

20211109_195359-01.jpeg

Brix (Ewa) was raised in Tuczno. The guesthouse owner is a businessman who has always been active in the local community. And he could recognize Ewa despite of huge age difference between both of them! Oh, Tuczno is among the smallest Polish towns... With the majority of its population working abroad.

20211109_184256-01.jpeg

Positive things? If you order a pizza here, it is huge, rich, and inexpensive 🙂 On the other hand, getting coffee early in the morning requires a nine mile drive through fog and with wild animals crossing the road in front of you! 🤣 That's because there is only a single petrol station around!
Screenshot_20211110-070445_Maps.jpg

Our current location (the blue point) in the map of East Europe. See how close we are to Berlin!

Last edited:
Three brothers and a friend

View attachment 106362
Mist Rising: Fairney View
Alongside Brisbane Valley RT

I wasn't too confident in coming home from my misty breakfast ride with anything to share. Photos of cattle? Yes: I was desperate!

'Line up in proper order for your photo!' I hollered at the stragglers.

And they did: 248, 249, 250! (But no smiles.)

View attachment 106366

I've no idea who their white friend with the green ear tag was.

Oh, the simple pleasures of a morning ebike ride in the country.
The mundane becomes interesting from the right view point.

Yesterday was a bit on the chilly side but with current daytime/night temps still hovering above the historical average, it’s hard to find reason to complain. With balaclava fitted under my helmet and warmer gloves on to keep warm from the biting wind, there wasn't much else to do but continue on riding. :cool:

View attachment 106323

Portions of Waskasoo Creek were frozen over as I made my way towards the trail head.

View attachment 106324
View attachment 106325

The entry down into MacKenzie Bluff.
View attachment 106326

View attachment 106327
Negotiating a tricky slope near the top of the embankment.

View attachment 106328

View from the top of the Bluff
View attachment 106329

Log strewn and root riddled sections of the Pine’s single track.
View attachment 106330
View attachment 106331

A brief stop over at Heritage Ranch paddock to visit a few familiar friends. What's up with the long faces? ;)
View attachment 106332

The trails continue to be in bare, excellent condition with the exception of leaves covering some sections at The Pines. Bonus wildlife feature at 4:45 of the video.

That vid feels like home...nice edit, scenery gorgeous

Greetings from the West Pomeranian Wilderness!

So Brix and I are in Tuczno (Tütz) in the West Pomerania, Poland. I was wondering what really made the area so depopulated and far less picturesque than you can see on this old photo:
View attachment 106377
The answer is: World War II.

The area we are currently in was one of the last defence lines of the German Army in 1945, and it was known as the Pomeranian Wall. The fight was especially heavy in Tütz, leaving the town almost completely demolished.
School buildings have survived. And now we live at a guesthouse made in the former school.

EDIT: The text in italics is wrong. The fighting didn't involve Tütz. After the Soviet Army entered the town, the usual war atrocities were completed with looting, exploding the castle (later rebuilt), and demolishing almost all of buildings. The bricks from demolition were later used to rebuild Warsaw that had been earlier demolished by the Nazi... Sad stories.

View attachment 106378
Brix (Ewa) was raised in Tuczno. The guesthouse owner is a businessman who has always been active in the local community. And he could recognize Ewa despite of huge age difference between both of them! Oh, Tuczno is among the smallest Polish towns... With the majority of its population working abroad.

View attachment 106380
Positive things? If you order a pizza here, it is huge, rich, and inexpensive 🙂 On the other hand, getting coffee early in the morning requires a nine mile drive through fog and with wild animals crossing the road in front of you! 🤣 That's because there is only a single petrol station around!View attachment 106386
Our current location (the blue point) in the map of East Europe. See how close we are to Berlin!
Nice, but where are those weird places Czechy..slwocja.
All maps should be from Englands perspective..I demand it.🙂
I looked up that defence, the Poles and the Russians fought alongside to defeat it, and how things turned out.

I went out to ride the Natchez Trace Parkway for the first time on my ebike. I haven’t ridden it many times because I have to load my bike up and drive 20 miles to get there. The Natchez Trace Parkway is a national park highway that has limited access and no commercial truck traffic. It’s 444 miles long. I only rode out 12 miles and back.

It felt like it has more bicycles on then cars. It’s very popular with bikers. Beautiful day for a ride so I was really enjoying it.

View attachment 106226

Just a nice cruise. No stops so my mph average got pretty inflated.
View attachment 106225
View attachment 106227
View attachment 106228View attachment 106229View attachment 106230View attachment 106231View attachment 106232View attachment 106233

I like pulling my bike out and riding but that is a ride that is worth loading it up and driving out to.
So much of the US is so regulated, thats what struck me the most last time I visited.
Us brits are far more, do what you like a long as you are polite and sensible.
Our 'No.....xxxxxxx'.
Are more notifications that someone wrote a law once..but hes not here and no one seems arsed.

Enjoying 11th of November, or the Poland's Independence Day...

...in peaceful and remote West Pomeranian Wilderness. (Surprised so many stores seem to be working during the holiday, and the pizzeria performs flawlessly!) Meanwhile, Warsaw suffers yet another Independence March organized by our own variety of Nazis, with full blessing of the State :(

1636636825082.png

Enjoying the Nature...

1636636885032.png

They say all fungi are edible (at least once) :D

1636636953034.png

Weather Predicting Stone :D (You know it: when it is dry it's not raining etc). Strangely enough, it was not raining yet the Stone was wet! :D

1636637052072.png

And the most importantly, enjoying @Brix in her hometown!

1636637142208.png

Busting the "gravity anomaly" myth, Magic Hill between Tuczno and Wałcz. There is an apparent ascent, with objects and vehicles rolling uphill there.

Until you use a level. It is a 0.6% descent not ascent!

1636637990554.png

Problems memorizing TUCZNO? Think of TUCSON :D

Back