Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

A ride through cattle country…

View towards Flinders Peak, near Ipswich, Queensland

Looking towards Flinders Peak
Near Ipswich, Queensland
It's been a bit windy, so I had to sneak out in the shelter of the lightly forested rail trail before using the wind to climb to scale the small hills around here.

The local cattle were suitably unimpressed.

Dairy herd, near Ipswich, Queensland

Dairy Cows (I think.)

Max : Fairney View's Finest

Max : "Don't call me a dairy cow!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Another ride in the country…

View attachment 93890
Looking towards Flinders Peak
Near Ipswich, Queensland
It's been a bit windy, so I had to sneak out in the shelter of the lightly forested rail trail before using the wind to climb to scale the small hills around here.

The local cattle were suitably unimpressed.

View attachment 93894
Dairy Cows (I think.)

View attachment 93895
Max : "Don't call me a dairy cow!"
Wrinkles are cute on a cow 🤣! Wonderful photos. 😊🚴‍♀️

I came home a bit later than usual …

Waxing Gibbous Moon

Waxing Gibbous Moon
5:08 pm AEST (UTC +10)
No moo cow pictures today.

Because this morning was so chilly, I went for an afternoon ride instead and was treated to a moonrise near home. Fortunately, I had a compact telephoto lens fitted to the camera.

In just under two days it will be full moon and the moon will no longer appear as a squashed disc (waxing gibbous according to what's on the internet). For those enjoying summer, rather than winter, it might offer an excuse to go out for a moonlit summer ride this weekend.

Does your camera allow interchangeable lenses?
This afternoon, I packed my compact EVF (electronic viewfinder) camera with a 100–500 mm zoom. Earlier this week, Max's 'portrait' was made with a 70–200 mm zoom (even lighter). Handheld photos are not a problem even with a 'big' telephoto zoom.

The latest cameras with electronic viewfinders are noticeably lighter than their DSLR forebears. I can slip this kit into either the front carrier bag (non-R&M!) or the Ortlieb RC trunk bag on my Homage.

Remember to look out for the same moon late this afternoon your time!

This afternoon, I packed my compact EVF (electronic viewfinder) camera with a 100–500 mm zoom. Max's 'portrait' was made with a 70–200 mm zoom (even lighter).

The latest cameras with electronic viewfinders are noticeably lighter than their DSLR forebears. I can slip this kit into either the front carrier bag (non-R&M!) or the Ortlieb RC trunk bag on my Homage.
Make and model please?
(I have found it impractical to carry my large Pentax with me. All other cameras lost to fire).

View attachment 93994
Waxing Gibbous Moon

Because this morning was so chilly, I went for an afternoon ride instead and was treated to a moonrise near home. Fortunately, I had a compact telephoto lens fitted to the camera.

In just under two days it will be full moon and the moon will no longer appear as a squashed disc (waxing gibbous according to what's on the internet). For those enjoying summer, rather than winter, it might offer an excuse to go out for a moonlit summer ride this weekend.
I didn't attempt a picture, but our moon view here in Pennsylvania was awesome last night ... low and red ... had something to do with smoke from distant wildfires unfortunately, but still looked very cool.

View attachment 93994
Waxing Gibbous Moon

Wow! Over the moon with this pic, David!

Here is this morning’s sunrise turned orange by the western fires…
Dallant…
I had wanted to take a photo just like yours but with the moon rather than the sun rising through wisps of clouds. By the time I had found a spot without interfering powerlines, the clouds had gone and the moon was higher. Curse the wind!

We've been having rainy days or windy days, and sometimes both. Result: minimal haze, but I suspect there'll be a cloud blanket obscuring the full moon on Saturday evening.

On Sunday there's a big (meaning around 30 ebikes!) ride up the rail trail. Cold and windy predicted!
Make and model please?
(I have found it impractical to carry my large Pentax with me. All other cameras lost to fire).
Stefan…
Click a photo to view it full-size, then right-click to download. Camera, lens, exposure and, usually, GPS details will be revealed in most photo editing apps.

I once did give camera details but this resulted in a near-instant response from someone quoting the exact amount I'd spent, with the inference that a fool and their money are soon parted. I might add that the comment came from a person who has multiple motorcycles, jet skis, vacation homes and an RV motorhome larger than most people's houses. Oh, dear! :oops:

Dallant…
I had wanted to take a photo just like yours but with the moon rather than the sun rising through wisps of clouds. By the time I had found a spot without interfering powerlines, the clouds had gone and the moon was higher. Curse the wind!

We've been having rainy days or windy days, and sometimes both. Result: minimal haze, but I suspect there'll be a cloud blanket obscuring the full moon on Saturday evening.

On Sunday there's a big (meaning around 30 ebikes!) ride up the rail trail. Cold and windy predicted!

Stefan…
Click a photo to view it full-size, then right-click to download. Camera, lens, exposure and, usually, GPS details will be revealed in most photo editing apps.

I once did give camera details but this resulted in a near-instant response from someone quoting the exact amount I'd spent, with the inference that a fool and their money are soon parted. I might add that the comment came from a person who has multiple motorcycles, jet skis, vacation homes and an RV motorhome larger than most people's houses. Oh, dear! :oops:
Mine was an iPhone 12 blown up way more than it should be through our picture window. Not good but gets the idea across.

Goat Creek Trail – Banff National Park
(No E-Bikes Allowed)

Web capture_22-7-2021_104928_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

IMG_20210721_1214107.jpg

The mountain ride saga continues this time on a gravel-line double track in the heart of Banff National Park. Wednesday morning’s ride was to take us on an out-and-back from the Spray River Trailhead, just steps from the Iconic Banff Springs Hotel, to the Ha Ling Peak Trailhead terminating at the Goat Creek Parking Lot. Our ride was briefly interrupted by an abrupt fellow who was quite adamant about the specific regulations governing the use of e-bikes on designated trails within the park system but he could not provide a legitimate reason as to why they were not allowed. According to notices that were posted at the start and along the trail (which we neglected to see) e-bikes are only permitted on certain trails and Goat Creek was not one of them. We were scheduled to ride this trail again with @RandallS and another buddy but am clueless about the circumstances surrounding this seemingly antiquated mandate that Parks Canada has imposed. :(
IMG_20210721_1228088.jpg
The ride was still a success as my brother-in-law was able to take his new Trek Rail 9.7 on its inaugural trail ride since acquiring it a week ago. The raw cobalt/volt paint scheme is striking and I was particularly taken by the latest Kiok controller which is magnetically secured to the Rail’s top tube and replaces the previous Purion display. Quite un-intrusive I might add. I'm still quite fond of my Trance.
IMG_20210721_0955515.jpg

IMG_20210721_0955591.jpgIMG_20210721_0956196.jpgIMG_20210721_0956365.jpg
We shared some great memories on this sunny, smoke-free morning as our last time riding together on MTBs was 30 years ago when we tackled a snow-covered Ribbon Falls trail in Kananaskis Country.
IMG_20210721_1128098.jpg

At the end of the outing, we experienced a leisurely ride as we meandered through the streets of Banff. The Iconic Springs Hotel.
IMG_20210721_1230448.jpg

Here is my video tribute to Goat Creek Trail and the resort town of Banff along with more images from the ride.

IMG_20210721_1025585.jpgIMG_20210721_1041110.jpgIMG_20210721_1049151.jpgIMG_20210721_1049174.jpgIMG_20210721_1052363.jpgIMG_20210721_1205061.jpgIMG_20210721_1229539.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210721_1229539.jpg
    IMG_20210721_1229539.jpg
    786.7 KB · Views: 159
Goat Creek Trail – Banff National Park
(No E-Bikes Allowed)

View attachment 94046
View attachment 94048
The mountain ride saga continues this time on a gravel-line double track in the heart of Banff National Park. Wednesday morning’s ride was to take us on an out-and-back from the Spray River Trailhead, just steps from the Iconic Banff Springs Hotel, to the Ha Ling Peak Trailhead terminating at the Goat Creek Parking Lot. Our ride was briefly interrupted by an abrupt fellow who was quite adamant about the specific regulations governing the use of e-bikes on designated trails within the park system but he could not provide a legitimate reason as to why they were not allowed. According to notices that were posted at the start and along the trail (which we neglected to see) e-bikes are only permitted on certain trails and Goat Creek was not one of them. We were scheduled to ride this trail again with @RandallS and another buddy but am clueless about the circumstances surrounding this seemingly antiquated mandate that Parks Canada has imposed. :(
View attachment 94051
The ride was still a success as my brother-in-law was able to take his new Trek Rail 9.7 on its inaugural trail ride since acquiring it a week ago. The raw cobalt/volt paint scheme is striking and I was particularly taken by the latest Kiok controller which is magnetically secured to the Rail’s top tube and replaces the previous Purion display. Quite un-intrusive I might add. I'm still quite fond of my Trance.
View attachment 94052
View attachment 94053View attachment 94054View attachment 94055
We shared some great memories on this sunny, smoke-free morning as our last time riding together on MTBs was 30 years ago when we tackled a snow-covered Ribbon Falls trail in Kananaskis Country.
View attachment 94056
At the end of the outing, we experienced a leisurely ride as we meandered through the streets of Banff. The Iconic Springs Hotel.
View attachment 94058
Here is my video tribute to Goat Creek Trail and the resort town of Banff along with more images from the ride.

View attachment 94059View attachment 94060View attachment 94061View attachment 94062View attachment 94063View attachment 94064View attachment 94065
"We shared some great memories on this sunny, smoke-free morning as our last time riding together on MTBs was 30 years ago when we tackled a snow-covered Ribbon Falls trail in Kananaskis Country."

This is why those who predict the tapering off of ebike sales are so wrong.

Back