Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Goat Creek Trail – Banff National Park
(No E-Bikes Allowed)

View attachment 94046
View attachment 94048
The mountain ride saga continues this time on a gravel-line double track in the heart of Banff National Park. Wednesday morning’s ride was to take us on an out-and-back from the Spray River Trailhead, just steps from the Iconic Banff Springs Hotel, to the Ha Ling Peak Trailhead terminating at the Goat Creek Parking Lot. Our ride was briefly interrupted by an abrupt fellow who was quite adamant about the specific regulations governing the use of e-bikes on designated trails within the park system but he could not provide a legitimate reason as to why they were not allowed. According to notices that were posted at the start and along the trail (which we neglected to see) e-bikes are only permitted on certain trails and Goat Creek was not one of them. We were scheduled to ride this trail again with @RandallS and another buddy but am clueless about the circumstances surrounding this seemingly antiquated mandate that Parks Canada has imposed. :(
View attachment 94051
The ride was still a success as my brother-in-law was able to take his new Trek Rail 9.7 on its inaugural trail ride since acquiring it a week ago. The raw cobalt/volt paint scheme is striking and I was particularly taken by the latest Kiok controller which is magnetically secured to the Rail’s top tube and replaces the previous Purion display. Quite un-intrusive I might add. I'm still quite fond of my Trance.
View attachment 94052
View attachment 94053View attachment 94054View attachment 94055
We shared some great memories on this sunny, smoke-free morning as our last time riding together on MTBs was 30 years ago when we tackled a snow-covered Ribbon Falls trail in Kananaskis Country.
View attachment 94056
At the end of the outing, we experienced a leisurely ride as we meandered through the streets of Banff. The Iconic Springs Hotel.
View attachment 94058
Here is my video tribute to Goat Creek Trail and the resort town of Banff along with more images from the ride.

View attachment 94059View attachment 94060View attachment 94061View attachment 94062View attachment 94063View attachment 94064View attachment 94065
Now I am dreaming of a trip involving the Rocky Mountaineer to Jasper ,followed by a 300 km Ebike jaunt down to Banff and ending with another train ride back to the West Coast with no cars involved. Prairie Dog do you think it could be done smoothly in two days with an overnight at Saskatchewan River resort?

Last edited:
This photo just arrived in my inbox. The couple rode the San Francisco hills and out to the beach on their classic electric bikes.

Attachments

• Stumpjumpper 85015.JPG
    Stumpjumpper 85015.JPG
    310.9 KB · Views: 179
I came home a bit later than usual …

View attachment 93994
Waxing Gibbous Moon
5:08 pm AEST (UTC +10)
No moo cow pictures today.

Because this morning was so chilly, I went for an afternoon ride instead and was treated to a moonrise near home. Fortunately, I had a compact telephoto lens fitted to the camera.

In just under two days it will be full moon and the moon will no longer appear as a squashed disc (waxing gibbous according to what's on the internet). For those enjoying summer, rather than winter, it might offer an excuse to go out for a moonlit summer ride this weekend.
Incredible! There is going to be a red moon tomorrow, can't wait.

Screenshot_20210722-180254_Strava.jpg

20210722_165919.jpg

Unintended selfie :)
As you might notice, the new rear tire is a Goodyear, not the Schwalbe. New person at the LBS didn't know my tires were ordered for me and put them out on sales floor mistakenly :( and of course were sold within minutes, grrrrr. So, the only tire available, and semi suitable was this one, at least I got it free! It turns out it is a very nice tire, and I will be going tubeless soon. I will be ordering my own tires and taking them in to be mounted. As you know, things happen hahahaha
20210722_154433.jpg20210722_154444.jpg
I just noticed on the second shot, she looks pregnant!

Grilled burgers and dogs were great, tonight I'm doing ribs. G'day mates...

View attachment 94079
View attachment 94082
Unintended selfie :)
As you might notice, the new rear tire is a Goodyear, not the Schwalbe. New person at the LBS didn't know my tires were ordered for me and put them out on sales floor mistakenly :( and of course were sold within minutes, grrrrr. So, the only tire available, and semi suitable was this one, at least I got it free! It turns out it is a very nice tire, and I will be going tubeless soon. I will be ordering my own tires and taking them in to be mounted. As you know, things happen hahahaha
Fly 9 lookin’ great though a bit naked these days. I’d be POed and suspicious that guy has your tires on his bike! Glad you like the Goodyear!😉

Now I am dreaming of a trip involving the Rocky Mountaineer to Jasper ,followed by a 300 km Ebike jaunt down to Banff and ending with another train ride back to the West Coast with no cars involved. Prairie Dog do you think it could be done smoothly in two days with an overnight at Saskatchewan River resort?
In that time frame….hmmm...doable but I would hate to miss the train due to unexpected delays. You’ve also got to consider range in light of the terrain as there are some pretty steep passes. There should be more places to overnight along the Parkway equipped with power for recharging. Now you’ve got me thinking, I might have to join you along the way on your dream trip or perhaps arrange a SAG wagon as backup. ;)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36884209

Click a photo to view it full-size, then right-click to download. Camera, lens, exposure and, usually, GPS details will be revealed in most photo editing apps.
Unfortunately the photo loses its embedded information after you have uploaded it to the Forums. I assume it is a mirrorless full-frame camera. If yes, it is too expensive for me! :)

I turned 60 on July 22nd...
1627006151370.png

Brother came to me to celebrate my jubilee with good Dominican rum! No Imperial Century on Friday then! (Anyway, I'm stuck in my office with new sales...)

Last edited:
Unfortunately the photo loses its embedded information after you have uploaded it to the Forums. I assume it is a mirrorless full-frame camera. If yes, it is too expensive for me! :)

I turned 60 on July 22nd...
View attachment 94091
Brother came to me to celebrate my jubilee with good Dominican rum! No Imperial Century on Friday then! (Anyway, I'm stuck in my office with new sales...)
Happy birthday, Stefan!

In that time frame….hmmm...doable but I would hate to miss the train due to unexpected delays. You’ve also got to consider range in light of the terrain as there are some pretty steep passes. There should be more places to overnight along the Parkway equipped with power for recharging. Now you’ve got me thinking, I might have to join you along the way on your dream trip or perhaps arrange a SAG wagon as backup. ;)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36884209
Oh yes that is a lot of climbing which would slow the pace considerably....I had not taken that into my rough calculations. It might need 3 days indeed.

Oh yes that is a lot of climbing which would slow the pace considerably....I had not taken that into my rough calculations. It might need 3 days indeed.

My brother-in-law and a friend cycled from Jasper to Lake Louise back in 2013 on their standard road bikes over a four-day period. They over-nighted at the Sunwapta Falls Lodge, The Glacier Inn at the Columbia Icefields and the Num-Ti-Jah Lodge at Bow Lake. They were planning to cycle the final leg along the 1A to Banff but apparently were too hungover from the previous night. 🥴 He thinks three days would be quite adequate on e-bikes.

https://www.sunwapta.com/packages

My brother-in-law and a friend cycled from Jasper to Lake Louise back in 2013 on their standard road bikes over a four-day period. They over-nighted at the Sunwapta Falls Lodge, The Glacier Inn at the Columbia Icefields and the Num-Ti-Jah Lodge at Bow Lake. They were planning to cycle the final leg along the 1A to Banff but apparently were too hungover from the previous night. 🥴 He thinks three days would be quite adequate on e-bikes.

https://www.sunwapta.com/packages

Thanks that is good to know!

@Stefan Mikes Happy Birthday, Stefan and welcome to the 60 somethings! 😁
@Prairie Dog Loved your video once again, shame about the antiquated rules...hope they get it sorted soon!

1627050565782.png

Identical weather to my last ride on Wednesday, a little misty and a perfect temp of 16C which has now risen to 26C so I'm glad I went out early!;) I set off with a route in mind and ended up going in a totally different direction, never done that before!;) I was taking this photo when I spotted something moving in the long grass!

1627051051778.jpeg

It was a couple of turkeys, I'm sure they were glad it was summer!;) No bears or snakes in these parts!🤣
1627051124213.jpeg

It was such a fun ride in perfect conditions on amazing quiet roads, cycling at its wonderful best! I have now passed 3,000 miles (3,015 to be exact) this year from 72 rides which means my average is almost 42 miles which isn't too shabby! It looks like the cooler weather is returning next week, maybe I can get a proper sleep at night again! ;) We Scots are not used to hot weather, I don't how some of you cope with those unbearable conditions, you s ure have my sympathy!

Attachments

• elevation_profile312.jpg
    elevation_profile312.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 134
  • trip-71788514-map-full227.png
    trip-71788514-map-full227.png
    427.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 20210723_091101.jpg
    20210723_091101.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20210723_091112.jpg
    20210723_091112.jpg