Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Early Morning Ride
Clarendon Dairy Farm, near Lowood

Clarendon Dairy Farm, Lockyer Valley
29 km; 6:50 am
If you follow this link you will see the same farm, just to the right of this picture, on the same ride two years ago. The Lockyer Creek trestle bridge (Long Way Down on previous page) is also there.

Dave-cool thread you created. Couple things about this forum - I love the age group - me thinks, too much testosterone on the MTB forums - probably age related, although they are informative. Also, love the mix of interest and especially the pictures from around the world. Chargeride - where are those trails? and Dave long way down is right. Stefan- love Warsaw - pictures of beauty of the city and the way people use their bikes. I visited Warsaw in the 90's on a business trip and the country side was beautiful /magical. Personally, I'm a bit paranoid of road bike riding based from my early days with a PX10 Peugot on Oregon byways. I always felt safer on gravel and MTB trails even though you can create enough of your own problems in those areas. At this time of year you need to be below 3,300 ft. or you run into too much snow. Red track is the route this time. The blue route was a few days earlier in which I ran out of road due to too much snow and ended up at lower elevation hunting for single track.
IMG_3822.PNG

IMG_3823.PNG

With an eMTB I was able to do a route which was reverse of what would be considered a traditional MTB ride and chose to follow a ridgeline run that increased in elevation 600 feet which allowed me to do a much larger loop. The ridgeline was about 8 miles in length with a lot of up and down with slightly more up. I used my lowest two gears in a number of places with no effort other than spinning my pedals. It is sooooo.... nice to not worry about fitness and enjoy the practice of concentrating on balance instead. Which I need a lot of practice!
IMG_3790.JPG
I am so thankful for the groups that keep these trails clear - lots of chainsaw wood dust and cut logs, with open trials in the middle of nowhere. I never see other people but it is still a bit early to be out on these routes. I leave a detailed route with my wife so she send my dogs after me if I don't return.
IMG_3789.JPG

My biggest fear are trees that have fallen blocking trail routes. If I see a bike track on a trail I am entering, then I consider it good to go. Occasionally the trails break out into a open area for a grand view.
IMG_3794.JPG

I found that I appreciate the trips (even though assisted with electric) much more at my age than I ever did when I was young. It is something to savor and be thankful for.

Great Info and really impressive effort. Quite a lot of weight with all the batteries, trailer and all.

7 hours in the saddle! That looks like an Infinity Bike Seat on your bike. How do you like it. Do you have any experience with either Brooks or Selle Anatomica? If so a comparison to one or both of those would be quite helpful as I am quite familiar with both.
I don't want to ride anything else except the Infinity seat saddle. It's the only saddle I have ever been on that gets more comfortable the longer I sit on it. 100 miles is just getting started. Not sore the next day. It's the key to my long distance rides. That saddle changed everything. That saddle is the reason I bought more battery power. No sense if your butt cannot take it.

Developments:
My friend Anita's hubby's sick, so I cannot start her on her Como today (Sunday). Instead, I've joined a group ride over (already familiar to you) Warsaw North-South Vistula Ride. There should be excellent, Spring weather!

I could have chosen of many group rides organized for this Sunday. Yet, the one I've chosen would be lead by a gorgeous young girl! :D

@RabH - Stunning scenery!! Amazing what a bit of sun does for biking photos. Thank you for your ride report which was entertaining. Not having that luxury riding here in NorthernVirginia today. It is all fog and light drizzle with some real honest-to-goodness rain marching in a bit later on. A day for staying indoors with the feet up, and the bikes parked in the garage. Sunday we're supposed to have thunderstorms 😟 so will be happy to hear of your adventures that day doing a half century from home.
Unfortunately we had a freak snowstorm last night which then melted and it is now totally frozen over so I'm not chancing it, especially as we now have freezing fog just to compound matters! Oh well tomorrow is another day as they say...

I hope your weather will improve soon, I miss your wonderful ride reports!

Here is something easy to carry, that is over the counter for muscle cramps and really works. You put two or three of these little pills under your tongue. They dissolve fast and stop the leg cramps in a minute or two. You can take as many of them as you need. Don't know if they are available other than State side though. IMG_1903.JPG

I don't want to ride anything else except the Infinity seat saddle. It's the only saddle I have ever been on that gets more comfortable the longer I sit on it. 100 miles is just getting started. Not sore the next day. It's the key to my long distance rides. That saddle changed everything. That saddle is the reason I bought more battery power. No sense if your butt cannot take it.
My goodness! Those are strange looking devices. Love to try one but at those prices my wallet grasping hand cramps up real bad. :oops:

Nice to be out on my Flow this morning - 8.21 miles of smiles 😁🚴‍♀️😁🚴‍♀️. Rode the opposite direction on the Bicentennial Greenway, back towards Guilford Courthouse Battlefield National Military Park (covered a couple of rides back).

Would have done the Battlefield loop twice to hit 10 miles, but the evil pedestrians (wearing headphones!) wandering around in the bike lane were too frustrating. The only thing that saved my temper and kept me smiling was knowing they're all bound for hell 🤣🤣🤣!
Screenshot_20210411-115342~2.png

Mostly paved multi-user trail, but some gravel sections:

IMG_20210411_102057797.jpg

There was a bit of slightly scary urban sidewalk riding next to traffic, and, at our last major intersection, several large vehicles making right-hand turns just blew right past me walking my bike, trying to cross, WITH the walk light. Good thing I looked before stepping of the curb!!! I had my bright yellow helmet, and florescent vest on, for pete's sake 🤬!

Safely at home following the ride, this finally happened 😉:
IMG_20210411_113614076.jpg

I did it myself 🤣🤣🤣.

That is everyone's first reaction.
Yeah, well, mine too! The thing I hate about saddles is that you pretty much have to buy one and deal with it for a while before you know how it's going to work for you. If it doesn't, by then it's often too late to return it.

Which Infinity saddle do you have?

TT

Would have done the Battlefield loop twice to hit 10 miles, but the evil pedestrians (wearing headphones!) wandering around in the bike lane were too frustrating. The only thing that saved my temper and kept me smiling was knowing they're all bound for hell 🤣🤣🤣!
I know peds have as much right as anyone on most trails, but it would be nice if they'd pay some attention!
Safely at home following the ride, this finally happened 😉:
View attachment 84442

I did it myself 🤣🤣🤣.

Congrats on the headlight!

TT

I know peds have as much right as anyone on most trails, but it would be nice if they'd pay some attention!

Congrats on the headlight!

TT
The section through the Battlefield is a whole paved road, with markings for pedestrians on the left shoulder, and for bikes (with directional arrows, since bikes, like cars, are only allowed in one direction) on the right. No excuse for walking in the bike lane there 😠.

The headlight was ridiculously easy...I should have taken charge and put it on on day one 😂😉.

Them and those who stand two abreast on an escalator or airport moving walkway and won't get over for those who need to move faster. STRAIGHT DOWN! Right to the boiler room of hell. 😶 👎

The section through the Battlefield is a whole paved road, with markings for pedestrians on the left shoulder, and for bikes (with directional arrows, since bikes, like cars, are only allowed in one direction) on the right. No excuse for walking in the bike lane there 😠.
Sometimes maybe they have an excuse. Maybe not a good excuse, but one that apparently works in their mind. I was in my truck yesterday and had to slow down and go around a biker in the traffic lane even though he had a full 8' wide dedicated directional bike lane. My guess is he thought there was too much debris in the bike late. Maybe there was.

Sometimes they just don't give a crap and are totally unaware.

TT

Had a right old day.
Went up to the bike trails about an hour from here with about 8 of us all on electric mtbs..some brand new , top spec.
Of course Im on a no suspension fatbike and I had my teeth rattled out as expected.
Im in agony now..fell off and banged my knee, both my hips are sore from using my legs as suspension for 3 hours, my thumbs are numb and my feet keep randomly going in to extreme cramps.
So Im self medicating with beer.

To make matter worse, a few times a year I get migraines that are vision disturbance only and a really bad one started 20 mins into the ride, Im talking no central vision and jagged lights around the rest.
I soldiered on like an idiot and undoubtedly that was the cause of the fall.
Im trying to make a video and I cant even see that its started recording, cleared after an hour and the rest of the day was a scream.
The forest was packed with families, great atmosphere, everyone really excited to be out.

Were getting there.
From the photos of that ride below, it might even be worth the pain of a no suspension bike (without the fall). AG great swooping trail picture.

That is everyone's first reaction.
K, Help us out. How does this thing work? It's so strange looking and counter to ordinary thinking that one's initial impression on seeing one is ..... WHA ...???? But you are obviously no babe in the woods with bikes. And you ride mega distances that most of us cannot achieve. Give us your understanding of this revolutionary bike seat. Please. 👍 👍👍

K, Help us out. How does this thing work? It's so strange looking and counter to ordinary thinking that one's initial impression on seeing one is ..... WHA ...???? But you are obviously no babe in the woods with bikes. And you ride mega distances that most of us cannot achieve. Give us your understanding of this revolutionary bike seat. Please. 👍 👍👍

Back