Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

After snow yesterday which melted slightly in the afternoon and then froze solid this morning, I was thankful to get out again once it warmed up to zero degrees! Once again I had to push the bike to the end of the road to avoid the icy road next to my home, it was a relief to see the gritters had done a wonderful job once again! I had to think carefully about where to go with the strict rules in place but I managed to enjoy a beautiful scenic ride and the roads were much quieter than usual which was a real bonus!

1610725028455.png

I didn't attempt this road, if I had come down it there was a handy graveyard right there ;)

1610724384948.jpeg

There is something very special about snow covered Fir trees, they look spectacular!

1610724701411.jpeg

It was good to see a family out enjoying the outdoors instead of sitting at home in front of a computer;) EDIT : I just noticed the dog was doing its business 🤣

1610724864616.jpeg

Attachments

• elevation_profile244.jpg
    elevation_profile244.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 214
  • trip-61472638-map-full159.png
    trip-61472638-map-full159.png
    427.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 20210115_104233.jpg
    20210115_104233.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 20210115_104254.jpg
    20210115_104254.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 20210115_111121.jpg
    20210115_111121.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 20210115_111149.jpg
    20210115_111149.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 235
  • 20210115_113017.jpg
    20210115_113017.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 20210115_113049.jpg
    20210115_113049.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 20210115_113135.jpg
    20210115_113135.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 20210115_113536.jpg
    20210115_113536.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 229
  • 20210115_113544.jpg
    20210115_113544.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 20210115_113603.jpg
    20210115_113603.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 20210115_114505.jpg
    20210115_114505.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 20210115_115108.jpg
    20210115_115108.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 20210115_115119.jpg
    20210115_115119.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 210
I keep thinking my local rides this time of the year are not noteworthy or report worthy, So I thought I would try R2R's strategy of finding the extraordinary in the ordinary - um, no I definitely don't have her eye for observing and interpreting - so the following is just the ordinary - although I did have the same observation of my ride yesterday as R2R's - just wasn't working for me so cut it short and fittingly enough hit the garmin delete instead of save - but today, fantastic - middle of January with the wind finally dying down and the sun peeking through the wispy clouds - definitely a couple of hours forgetting about covid and the world problems and besides, David says that he and his buddies solved all those problems anyways, the main picture is of Little Bow river that usually is solid ice this time of the year but obviously not this year, I am sure winter will hit us with a vengeance one day but it surely will not last long, another picture is of a plaque on Twin Valley reservoir describing the 2004 completion of the dam, we had bought property and built a
20210115_145600.jpg
20210115_144340.jpg20210115_172614.jpg20210115_172638.jpghouse here in 1996 not knowing we would have beach front property one day (well a couple of miles away)

Today was too nice of a day to not go for a ride. After breakfast and suitable caffeination it was +8C, which for Alberta in mid January is very unseasonable unless the Chinook winds are howling.
They were not - it was just warm without the big wind.

Set off via my normal route up to Nose Hill and did some trails, then ventured north and rode the bluffs above a local golf course.
Most pics are up on the hill but did take a couple of shots from the bluffs.

The route and Strava data:

Jan15_2.JPG

Jan15_1.JPG

The climb up to the upper plateau has been photographed by me recently, and was a mixture of gravel and hard packed paths. I Usually do that in one go from home, mainly on ECO (1) to get me all warmed up. My knee was feeling a bit cranky, but settled down after the first half hour.

This first shot, with the foreshortening, makes my bike look it has a larger front tire - like a mullet. Not really, there's 27.5 front and back, but shod with the new Ice Spiker Pro's - pretty amazing tires! You can also see my new Ergon GP2 grips. I'm considering shortening the bars a few centimeters to make the extensions a bit more comfortable. They feel too wide when using them.
Also - I've not put my dropper back on yet, as the plusher ride with the Suntour is easier on the butt and the shoulder.

20210115_110836.jpg 20210115_110848.jpg 20210115_111046.jpg 20210115_111053.jpg

As you can see, the conditions were varied. Lots of gravel and lots of snow - mostly hard packed. I did ride a few bits that were a bit softer than I liked, but the tires felt extremely solid.
When I'd started out - it was fairly grey, but at about an hour into the ride it was clearing up and we got some nice blue skies.

20210115_111652.jpg 20210115_111701.jpg 20210115_113200.jpg

After riding the southern part of the park, I headed towards the north and decided to try one of my favorite trails that exits the park near my brother's place and not too far from my original home I had built in the early 90's when I moved here. This section of trail winds its way up a ravine and then you have a quick steep climb up into an area called McEwan.

20210115_120355.jpg 20210115_120541.jpg

This sign is pretty well the most northern tip of the park which is still home to wild animals including deer, bobcats, coyotes and of course smaller species like ground squirrels (often mistakenly referred to as gophers).
In the picture below on the right, I've ridden all those trails both up and down, but today it was the one that's viewed above the frozen pond and is wending it's way into the trees in the ravine.

20210115_121033.jpg 20210115_121041.jpg 20210115_121016.jpg

After exiting the park I headed north and rode the pathways above Country Hills Golf Club - from here on I am on pathways only. After winding around the golf course, it was paths and streets on a non-direct way home, as I had targeted a 30'ish KM target for the day. On the way towards home I stopped at a drive-thru to get a quick bit of food and was pretty well bang on on my estimated distance.

20210115_123600.jpg 20210115_123605.jpg

Two final comments:
1) Audiobook of the day: "the Good Turn" by Dervla McTiernan.
2) Post ride beverage of the day: Phillips Brewing Citricity - a grapefruit zest enhanced IPA from Vancouver Island.
Pretty well my favorite Brewery, and one of my favorite beers from them.
Superb with a spicy curry - the fruitiness is very subtle.

20210115_160743.jpg

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20210115_110852.jpg
    20210115_110852.jpg
    941.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 20210115_111042.jpg
    20210115_111042.jpg
    847.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 1610772855452.png
    1610772855452.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 196
This sign is pretty well the most northern tip of the park which is still home to wild animals including deer, bobcats, coyotes and of course smaller species like ground squirrels (often mistakenly referred to as gophers).
In the picture below on the right, I've ridden all those trails both up and down, but today it was the one that's viewed above the frozen pond and is wending it's way into the trees in the ravine.
Although they are not a native species, raccoons could likely make that list soon. 🙄I love this image overlooking the trails. Looks like a virtual playground for Ice Spikers. 👍
20210115_121016.jpg

Attachments

• 1610814293353.png
    1610814293353.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 210
I often refer to the park as MY playground, and thats how I refer to it when I tell my wife my intended destination when I head out for a ride.

It's why, when I got stiffed on the Vado 5 I ordered, I looked on it as a serendipitous event and shortly thereafter refocused on something more trailworthy. I would likely have purchased a Giant Explore if they'd had the model and size I wanted but there weren't any around. Then, while riding with a friend of mine up there, on my 2011 pathway cruiser, it become blatantly obvious what style of bike I should purchase. The hardtail was an even better compromise than the Explore, and that made the most sense for me.

Chasing Snow

IMG_20210116_141902_3_copy_1600x876.jpg

The homemade biscotti had finished it's first bake and had about a hour to cool on the counter before being sent back into a 275° oven for its second bake. The kitchen was warm, the house was warm, and everything was encouraging me to stay inside because the temp outside, by contrast, was not warm at all. Certainly not cycling warm at an overcast chilly 42° (5.5°C).

So one could reasonably ask why I was shrugging on my ski jacket, Thinsulate gloves, and neck warmer, then opening up the ride app on my phone before kicking up the kick stand and rolling my Vado outside of the garage into the cold. It actually had to do with a ping on my phone from a weather app announcing the imminent arrival (threat?) of a "wintery mix" of snow just as I had pulled the once baked biscotti from the oven. I glanced outside at the mountains to notice...I couldn't see those peaks just to the south due to the impenetrable veil of... you guessed it ...falling snow. Just a few miles away. Close enough to ride my bike into if I was quick enough. Well within the hour for the biscotti to cool. Just a bit of fun if I ignored the cold to run and play in the falling flakes. And also if I ignored the fact that several of the biscotti pieces would be mysteriously missing by the time I returned, sure to find hubby's guilty fingers pointing with fake outrage to the completely innocent dogs as the culprits in the tasty theft. He knows I'm wise to him. Don't know why he bothers to try. Must be a guy thing.

I actually only dressed for about 4 miles of chasing snow. What I failed to do was to also check the radar to see which way the snow was headed. I simply assumed it was headed at me as I hit the gravel road headed west, fully expecting to be immediately enveloped in a delightful dense snowburst.

What did happen was instead of chasing snow I ended up chasing a mirage. You know, those imaginary images that keep receding further and further away even as you attempt to close the distance. I reached the point where the snow had been falling, only to find it had been retreating away from me the whole time and was now a further 2 miles distant.

Not being of a mind to give up a challenge, and with hands and feet and all important body parts still comfortably warm, plus only a few minutes into the allowed hour, I set to the chase again, heading down the gravel roads towards the mountains in the direction of an old settlement known as Trapp. (Or The Trappe. Or Trap. The place had quite a few variations on spelling, all of which were apparently deemed acceptable over the past few centuries.) And I probably would have succeeded in catching the squall had I not stopped to talk to a landowner who, with one of his farm help, had been out in the brief snow storm (when it passed over Trapp/The Trappe/Trap) encouraging an escaped cow and her calf back into their pasture from their wayward misadventures on the front lawns of a neighboring property. The two men were standing at the side of the road, the pasture gate in front of them wide open with the cow and calf now securely back in the field and strolling back towards the distant herd. I knew the landowner had lived in the area since he was a boy and so asked him about the derelict building just a few yards away.
IMG_20210116_143719_5_copy_1200x900.jpg

I had assumed it was an old gas station, considering the old truck parked nearby that hadn't moved from its spot for the last 14 years - based on the license plate's 2007 registration sticker - but he said no, the building had been a store, in business long before World War 2, but had been abandoned at least a decade before. I was later to find out the building had been constructed in 1876 and had been the favorite hangout for the local mountain men to swap stories of boar and bear hunting and all sorts of misadventures that only mountain folk are privy to. The village lasted until 1907 when the mail stopped coming to the town, the government deeming it more efficient and less costly to consolidate the mail with a bigger local town instead. Losing their mail privileges were usually the death knell for these little backwater communities, and Trapp/The Trappe/Trap was no exception. The store closed in 1934, one of the many victims of the 1930's Great Depression. All that remains now of the thriving village of 33 inhabitants is 3 houses, of which one is delerict, and this old empty building. The blacksmith shop, and the school, and all the other houses are long gone.

The landowner and I chatted for a few minutes before he said, with a knowing smile "Does that bike have a motor?" I smiled back and assured him that it did, and asked if he knew how fast it would assist me. He didn't. "28 miles an hour" I informed him with a grin. He raised his eyebrows. "Even going up hills?" he asked, incredulous. "Gallops up them like a race horse," I replied. "Kind of embarrassing, though, passing others struggling and gasping for breath on plain bikes", I admitted. "I find myself saying Sorry, Sorry, Sorry to everyone I pass." He laughed, but then his farm help interrupted saying he was going to check a fenceline to see that it was secure, which was my clue to say thanks and wave goodbye and take off down the road.

To my dismay the snow had taken advantage of my stop to retreat further south. For all intents and purposes it had strayed beyond the limits of where I wanted to chase it by the time I reached the end of the gravel road. I could still see the snow falling from the clouds, but when I stopped and pulled up the radar on my phone I saw with a sinking heart that the storm had put at least 4 more miles between itself and me. So close, but too far. I would have to ride into the next county which was something I wasn't prepared to do.
IMG_20210116_145503_3_copy_1305x490.jpg

It was time to head back home. Well, sorta in a round about way. You see, my hands and feet and all important body parts were still toasty warm, and the radar was promising that a few pop-up snow showers just might intersect with my ride if I chose to go a bit further east. And I still had time left in the allotted hour. Plus the roads were completely empty except for my presence. I had them all to myself. How could I resist?

IMG_20210116_145257_4_copy_1189x1003_copy_891x752.jpg

Sailing along at a good clip I was treated to several views of the snow gracing someone else's landscape. And each advance snow event promised by the radar just seemed to skirt where I was at the moment, teasing me into going farther and further.
IMG_20210116_145949_4_copy_816x612.jpg

I was enjoying the chase a bit too much before I realized my hour was up. It was also at that point where I realized my fingers were a bit chilled, no doubt by the fact that I kept taking my gloves off to take pictures and also, lacking touch pads on the glove fingers, taking them off frequently to select the songs I was listening to on my phone while I rode. Yeah, and my toes were starting to feel a touch cold as well. That, too.
IMG_20210116_145524_5_copy_1305x979.jpg

It was time to yield the chase to the departing clouds and head up the gravel roads towards the clearer skies and home. Next time I'll check the radar before waltzing off on my bike in pursuit of some snow to play in. Or maybe I'll just wing it again. In the meantime I'll stick an extra pair of gloves in my panniers, just in case. Extra socks, too.

Screenshot_20210116_195208.jpg

Oh, yeah - there were a few pieces of the biscotti missing, too. The blame was placed on the dogs, of course, which failed to sway both judge and jury. The remaining biscotti got its second baking and turned out both perfect and delicious. My toes and fingers warmed up instantly, and as I looked outside the kitchen window an hour later I saw a few white flakes fall gently just outside the window pane onto the lawn. Just a few. Just a tease for next time.

Last edited:
Share the trail …
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail, Pine Mountain

Pine Mountain, Queensland
I was almost back home from my Sunday morning ride and had no photos to show for it… and no excuse about snow flurries disappearing over the horizon. So, here is my best effort: my own tyre tracks (I'm guessing!) from a few days ago when we had a drop or two of rain and accompanying hoof prints.

It was only when I transferred the photo to my computer that I realised what had been recorded: a horse with its fore and hind feet attached in opposing directions. Poor thing! (Or, perhaps, the farrier was beset by a 'senior moment'.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chasing Snow

View attachment 76883

The homemade biscotti had finished it's first bake and had about a hour to cool on the counter before being sent back into a 275° oven for its second bake. The kitchen was warm, the house was warm, and everything was encouraging me to stay inside because the temp outside, by contrast, was not warm at all. Certainly not cycling warm at an overcast chilly 42° (5.5°C).

So one could reasonably ask why I was shrugging on my ski jacket, Thinsulate gloves, and neck warmer, then opening up the ride app on my phone before kicking up the kick stand and rolling my Vado outside of the garage into the cold. It actually had to do with a ping on my phone from a weather app announcing the imminent arrival (threat?) of a "wintery mix" of snow just as I had pulled the once baked biscotti from the oven. I glanced outside at the mountains to notice...I couldn't see those peaks just to the south due to the impenetrable veil of... you guessed it ...falling snow. Just a few miles away. Close enough to ride my bike into if I was quick enough. Well within the hour for the biscotti to cool. Just a bit of fun if I ignored the cold to run and play in the falling flakes. And also if I ignored the fact that several of the biscotti pieces would be mysteriously missing by the time I returned, sure to find hubby's guilty fingers pointing with fake outrage to the completely innocent dogs as the culprits in the tasty theft. He knows I'm wise to him. Don't know why he bothers to try. Must be a guy thing.

I actually only dressed for about 4 miles of chasing snow. What I failed to do was to also check the radar to see which way the snow was headed. I simply assumed it was headed at me as I hit the gravel road headed west, fully expecting to be immediately enveloped in a delightful dense snowburst.

What did happen was instead of chasing snow I ended up chasing a mirage. You know, those imaginary images that keep receding further and further away even as you attempt to close the distance. I reached the point 2 miles away where the snow had been falling, only to find it had been retreating away from me the whole time and was now a further 2 miles distant.

Not being of a mind to give up a challenge, and with hands and feet and all important body parts still comfortably warm, plus only a few minutes into the allowed hour, I set to the chase again, heading down the gravel roads towards the mountains in the direction of an old settlement known as Trapp. (Or The Trappe. Or Trap. The place had quite a few variations on spelling, all of which were apparently deemed acceptable over the past few centuries.) And I probably would have succeeded in catching the squall had I not stopped to talk to a landowner who, with one of his farm help, had been out in the brief snow storm (when it passed over Trapp/The Trappe/Trap) encouraging an escaped cow and her calf back into their pasture from their wayward misadventures on the front lawns of a neighboring property. The two men were standing at the side of the road, the pasture gate in front of them wide open with the cow and calf now securely back in the field and strolling back towards the distant herd. I knew the landowner had lived in the area since he was a boy and so asked him about the derelict building just a few yards away.
View attachment 76889

I had assumed it was an old gas station, considering the old truck parked nearby that hadn't moved from its spot for the last 14 years - based on the license plate's 2007 registration sticker - but he said no, the building had been a store, in business long before World War 2, but had been abandoned at least a decade before. I was later to find out the building had been constructed in 1876 and had been the favorite hangout for the local mountain men to swap stories of boar and bear hunting and all sorts of misadventures that only mountain folk are privy to. The store lasted until 1907 when the mail stopped coming to the town, the government deeming it more efficient and less costly to consolidate the mail with a bigger local town instead. Losing their mail privileges were usually the death knell for these little backwater communities, and Trapp/The Trappe/Trap was no exception. All that remained now of the thriving village of 33 inhabitants was 3 houses, of which one was delerict, and this old empty building. The blacksmith shop, and the school, were both long gone.

The landowner and I chatted for a few minutes before he said, with a knowing smile "Does that bike have a motor?" I smiled back and assured him that it did, and asked if he knew how fast it would assist me. He didn't. "28 miles an hour" I informed him with a grin. He raised his eyebrows. "Even going up hills?" he asked, incredulous. "Gallops up them like a race horse," I replied. "Kind of embarrassing, though, passing others struggling and gasping for breath on plain bikes", I admitted. "I find myself saying Sorry, Sorry, Sorry to everyone I pass." He laughed, but then his farm help interrupted saying he was going to check a fenceline to see that it was secure, which was my clue to say thanks and wave goodbye and take off down the road.

To my dismay the snow had taken advantage of my stop to retreat further south. For all intents and purposes it had strayed beyond the limits of where I wanted to chase it by the time I reached the end of the gravel road. I could still see the snow falling from the clouds, but when I stopped and pulled up the radar on my phone I saw with a sinking heart that the storm had put at least 4 more miles between itself and me. So close, but too far. I would have to ride into the next county which was something I wasn't prepared to do.
View attachment 76891
It was time to head back home. Well, sorta in a round about way. You see, my hands and feet and all important body parts were still toasty warm, and the radar was promising that a few pop-up snow showers just might intersect with my ride if I chose to go a bit further east. And I still had time left in the allotted hour. Plus the roads were completely empty except for my presence. I had them all to myself. How could I resist?

View attachment 76893
Sailing along at a good clip I was treated to several views of the snow gracing someone else's landscape. And each advance snow event promised by the radar just seemed to skirt where I was at the moment, teasing me into going farther and further.
View attachment 76894
I was enjoying the chase a bit too much before I realized my hour was up. It was also at that point where I realized my fingers were a bit chilled, no doubt by the fact that I kept taking my gloves off to take pictures and also, lacking touch pads on the glove fingers, taking them off frequently to select the songs I was listening to on my phone while I rode. Yeah, and my toes were starting to feel a touch cold as well. That, too.View attachment 76896

It was time to yield the chase to the departing clouds and head up the gravel roads towards the clearer skies and home. Next time I'll check the radar before waltzing off on my bike in pursuit of some snow to play in. Or maybe I'll just wing it again. In the meantime I'll stick an extra pair of gloves in my panniers, just in case. Extra socks, too.

View attachment 76895
Oh, yeah - there were a few pieces of the biscotti missing, too. The blame was placed on the dogs, of course, which failed to sway both judge and jury. The remaining biscotti got its second baking and turned out both perfect and delicious. My toes and fingers warmed up instantly, and as I looked outside the kitchen window an hour later I saw a few white flakes fall gently just outside the window pane onto the lawn. Just a few. Just a tease for next time.
Love your panniers! What brand are they, and where did you get them?

Blizzard (And Other Adventures)

I had known that would be a cold day. Suffice to say, the weather forecast of 20s F and strong wind made me wear my Winter Armour Ultimate for the Saturday' s ride. Consisting of some 30 individual items, it now includes five clothing layers on the torso, four for the legs, heated socks and insoles as well as double gloves. I rode out quite early for me, at 8:47 am. The ride out was quite uneventful. Mild tailwind, dry, and despite of the frost, I was warm in my Armour. I used 50% Sport assistance on that ride leg.

Giant LBS disappointment

1610860012200.png

Bikeman.pl, a Giant LBS in Warsaw Ursynów, the southern quarter. The skid-plate for my Trance E+ should have been there since Friday afternoon. It was not there. Making me quite irritated. So I rode 30 km for nothing?!

1610860293865.png

The architecture of Ursynów North has its origins in 1980s. (An InPost parcel locker seen at the right). It was already snowing a little.

1610860517261.png

Riding southwards via Jan Rosół Street. There was a small sledging hill at my right hand side (I regret I took no picture!) As you can see, the more southwards you go, the more modern architecture appears.

Good Vittles at Anita & Lech

Friends, Anita & Lech is a married couple living in South Ursynów at their house. Both have high-profile jobs. Anita served me a brunch, consisting of excellent victuals! From pierogi to organic sausage, ham, etc. Even if I'm on a diet, I allowed myself to become satiated :)

1610860810026.png

Lech has been working in Africa for couple of years. He served this delicious Nigerian bitter in microscopic glasses :) (I don't drink and ride).

Anita Buying An E-Bike!

What a story! We've been talking with Anita to get her an e-bike for more than a year. While staying with the couple, I asked if they would like to drive to the Warsaw Specialized Brand Store to size a Como for Anita. Yes, we drove up there. The first person met was the sales guy Mateusz, who recognized me as the owner of "the Vado on winter tyres"! Our dialogue:

-- I'll serve you in a minute. Just let me bring my Levo from my car inside the store! -- he said.
-- Ah, so you're an MTBer! I recognized you were not a roadie from the very start! -- I smiled at him.
-- How come?
-- You're not arrogant. On contrary, you are very polite and friendly! :D -- and he laughed at that.

So Anita tried a Como 5.0 inside. And bought it! (She even managed to get some discount!)

1610861638724.png

This brand new Como 5.0 (EU version on 700C wheels and with suspension fork) has not been ridden before. It is a miracle you still can buy an e-bike in Warsaw. (I told Anita it was the last moment to get an e-bike at all in many months!) I'm so happy; my friend getting the premium comfortable e-bike!

I tried a Vado SL 4.0 EQ myself. Friends! I crave for that e-bike! So nice to ride!

Blizzard Imminent

1610861983480.png

On my return trip, I noticed the wind becoming very strong. So strong I had to ride in 100% Turbo mode to maintain any decent speed. Here, in the bike path southwards Puławska Street, the southbound Warsaw avenue. As you can see, the bike path is not maintained. I noticed first ride stability issues there.

The Blizzard

It started snowing heavily. And I lost my way. Thanks to my GPS navigation, I could return to the route, and then the blizzard exploded.

Blizzard building up. You can hear me panting; it was more from me being tired on pedalling that from the scare :)

1610862768329.png

I was not scared. What could potentially go wrong? I was still full on food, drunk with oxygen inhaled, happy. The Winter Armour Ultimate held, and I was warm. I had a spare battery. Yes, the wheels of my Vado were occasionally slipping in fresh snow but come on... So I was riding happily in the blizzard :) It was my first
difficult ride during which I didn't panic :D

1610863057539.png

Battery swapping in Falenty on sunset. What you can see on my tubular hood is a thick layer of ice :)

Yes, there had been some issues. Because of the battery contacts contaminated with snow, the Vado motor experienced occasional "hiccups", No Battery messages and the like. So what? I was so much on adrenalin I was ready to go back home on pedals alone! Ha! I stopped for warm coffee and to buy some tissues at BP gas station in Sokołów. A quarter of hour spent there (outside the building of course) meant I and Vado got covered with snow but eventually the blizzard ended, the battery and motor warmed up and the electrical problems disappeared.

1610863583795.png

At home, 17:00. It turned out the ventilation holes of my Vado motor were blocked with a clump of snow. No worries! It was no danger for the motor to overheat...

1610863726671.png

The ride map with POI.

1610863885244.png

For me, the ride meant a feat equivalent to climbing the K2 in the winter :)

Last edited:
Love your panniers! What brand are they, and where did you get them?
They are Tough1 saddle bags. Designed for a "real" saddle but great for a bike as well. Comes in some snappy colors beyond the standard black and brown. Especially love the insulated bottle holders on each side. I use a bit of double sided velcro to attach them securely to the bike. They lay right across a back rack and fit snug and unflappable. Each side has a zippered compartment for easy access with lots of room for your bike tools, key, extra innertube, lunch and/or snacks, maps, etc., plus an "outside" pocket as well. Adjustable straps above each compartment can be crossed over the rack to the other side to hold down and secure jackets and other bulky items. Relatively inexpensive. 10/10 would recommend.

You'll find them online at many of the western riding tack stores that sell horse stuff through the internet. (I have the blue, pink, purple, and black sets. The purple set I used for endurance riding. The blue, pink, and black sets I use for my bikes.) They also come in straight and tooled leather, however those models lack the drink carriers.
Screenshot_20210117_013954_copy_1152x1157.jpg

Last edited:
They are Tough1 saddle bags. Designed for a "real" saddle but great for a bike as well. Comes in some snappy colors beyond the standard black and brown. Especially love the insulated bottle holders on each side. I use a bit of double sided velcro to attach them securely to the bike. They lay right across a back rack and fit snug and unflappable. Each side has a zippered compartment for easy access with lots of room for your bike tools, key, extra innertube, lunch and/or snacks, maps, etc., plus an "outside" pocket as well. Adjustable straps above each compartment can be crossed over the rack to the other side to hold down and secure jackets and other bulky items. Relatively inexpensive. 10/10 would recommend.

You'll find them online at many of the western riding tack stores that sell horse stuff through the internet. (I have the blue, pink, purple, and black sets. The purple set I used for endurance riding. The blue, pink, and black sets I use for my bikes.) They also come in straight and tooled leather, however those models lack the drink carriers.
View attachment 76919
Thanks!

@Readytoride @Stefan Mikes Is it just me that tries to avoid snow? 🤣 Amazing effort in those conditions, Stefan!👏 You are crazy of course, in a good way ;)

1610904307278.png

On Saturday we had strong winds and heavy rain which washed away the snow (hoorah:p) but it was still a little icy this morning so the back roads were ruled out once again! It was 3C this morning which made a nice change but not enough to melt that ice! I had planned to cover 50 miles but I was enjoying it that much I ended up doing 100km, when I reached my home town I had covered 57 miles so I thought lets carry on and do 60;) Then I remembered 62.1 miles is 100km so...:p

This is where I encountered the first black ice, it was hard just to stand up! Its almost impossible to spot it with the naked eye, it just looked wet!

1610902132816.jpeg

The water is so high in the Clyde Valley at the moment, thankfully it hasn't reached critical levels yet!

1610902262620.jpeg

You wouldn't believe the noise from this stream, it was actually deafening!

1610903250647.jpeg

When the weather improves I want to try this climb (or descent) ;)

1610903324459.jpeg

We are allowed to travel 5 miles outside our boundaries but today I stretched it by 2 miles (what a rebel🤣) and after reaching the top of a big climb I stopped for a quick snack! I was just about to pull away when a police car appeared and stopped right next to me, at this point I was thinking they were going to challenge me but the driver just stopped to do something on his mobile and quickly pulled away again without even looking at me!;) At this point I was only a mile outside the 5 mile rule, I wonder how strict they would really be...

Attachments

• elevation_profile245.jpg
    elevation_profile245.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 172
  • trip-61565382-map-full160.png
    trip-61565382-map-full160.png
    436.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 20210117_095911.jpg
    20210117_095911.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 20210117_095923.jpg
    20210117_095923.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 20210117_100827.jpg
    20210117_100827.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 20210117_101322.jpg
    20210117_101322.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 20210117_101332.jpg
    20210117_101332.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 20210117_104504.jpg
    20210117_104504.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 20210117_104553.jpg
    20210117_104553.jpg
    666.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 20210117_110310.jpg
    20210117_110310.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 20210117_110357.jpg
    20210117_110357.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 186
  • 20210117_114427.jpg
    20210117_114427.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 185
Can You Ride E-Bike At -14°C (7°F)?

I would not recommend that. I could venture for a 2 x 2 km shopping for sure. Not for 40+ km. I'm just back from a short evening test ride to the local gas station. I wore a reduced set of clothing thanks to a new purchase:
1610917194041.png

4F waterproof/windproof/breathable snowboard pants and jacket.

I could use less clothing layers for the short ride and it was fine. The issue was a gap between my goggles and helmet, which I normally don't notice. With -14°C, it caused the frosty air attack my sinus. Grocery shopping yes, longer ride - not.

1610917471404.png

The female shop assistant who I have known for many years exclaimed upon seeing me:
-- You rode in on a bike again now? You must be riding on winter tyres?!
-- You can bet I am! :D

1610917715576.png

I remind anybody unaware I can hardly walk but "yes Sir I can ride!" :)

Made it almost back to 10 miles this morning - I'll break the barrier next time!

No pretty pictures because it was breezy and we wanted to keep the ride moving... Just proof I got out today 😉.Screenshot_20210117-130242~2.pngScreenshot_20210117-130307.png

Back