Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

IMG_20210118_134953018_HDR_copy_756x1008.jpg

Not all pictures can manage to silently be worth a thousand words. Some definitely require captions. Or explanations. Or a story told.

So, I will sit and muse about a story, a story that begins with driving my truck to my wonderful mechanic at the crack of dawn this morning to have the auto 4-wheel drive fixed, then home with hubby in the Prius to find that, once parked back in the garage, the Prius suddenly having a panic attack with its 12 volt battery being low (no, you do NOT want to drive a hybrid with a low 12 volt battery) just as we were about to take the electric car's rear tire up to the local gas station to have the screw pulled out the treads (it was punctured yesterday and we woke up to a pancake tire this morning). Three vehicles, all out of commission. All I had left was the bikes.

This will be the lead in to the story which will continue with darling son coming to the rescue and driving from his place on the mountain to our farm to drive me and the dismounted tire to the gas station, wait while the tire puncture is fixed as well as spend some quality time with his mother, then back to our farm where he could put the tire back on the car and then head off home. One should always have a child or two waiting in the wings for just such an emergency.

The story will continue with me standing in the garage, next to the Prius which looked like it was on life support hooked up to a battery charger, observing beyond the open garage doors the outside where the sunny skies were doing their level best to put on a welcoming face to cajole me, after the tumultuous drama filled morning, into a bike ride despite the cold temps and a brisk wind that took vindictive delight in producing sub-freezing wind chills. I will add a paragraph, or two, extolling my options and deliberations before finally deciding any type of fast ride was simply out of the question. But a slow ride? <shrug> Doable. Perhaps a bit of road litter pick-up on the Class 2? Absolutely doable. That's a ride at a walking pace. Go the direction where the wind is at my back, pushing the little trailer like it was a sail, and life couldn't get any sweeter. Done!

The story will then skip to the present where I am now 4 miles down the road, my litter bag getting close to full, the wind to my back, sweat pooling under my ski jacket, one hand perpetually raised to wave at the drivers on the road as they waved back, or tooted their horns in friendliness, or even stopped to thank me, and then as I zero in my grabber on a piece of litter next to this farm's fence, I hear behind me a lone "mmm...BAAAAAA". I will recount how I looked around in surprise to see an entire flock of Jacob sheep eagerly racing in a mad dash up the fenceline towards me as if I was some long awaited food truck bringing them a much anticipated meal. I will add some humorous renditions of what I announced to the hairy sheep to discourage them from holding onto their misconception while they continuing to follow me, like sheep, on the opposite side of the fence, begging for food, and how this ended up being the sole photograph I would take for the entire (short) uneventful 9 mile ride.

Then I will wrap up the story with the disappointed sheep lingering at the fence while I slowly rode away a bit further before lifting the bulging bag out of the trailer, placing it alongside the road for VDOT to pick up, and then turn facing into the frigid wind to race back home, thumb steadfast on the throttle, back to the house where warmth, relaxation, and a biscotti or two could be had to munch on while a short snowburst danced swiftly across the landscape obscuring everything in sparkling white .

It will be a nice story, with a nice flow to it full of cold, wind, and trash. And a sweet Class 2 ebike.

I'll start writing right after I take a well deserved nap.

Last edited:
Left hand side traffic!
Stefan, you'll notice from the scattered gravel that trucks and cars tend to treat this road as 'single track' – drive down the middle! – but keep to their side of the road over the crest. On an ebike, my concern is to keep to speeds that avoid encountering the loose gravel down the middle or the loose and deep stuff on the left.

Wider tyres – 57 and 60 mm on my ebikes – plus hydraulic disc brakes that allow the gentlest of deceleration are the way to go. I wonder whether Bosch's ABS brakes would be beneficial. (Has anyone encountered them other than on the web?)
What camera?
GoPro Hero9 Black; whatever that might be. It was 'on special' which I now realise is the permanent state of excitement on GoPro's website which is little more than a gushing stream of advertising featuring impossibly beautiful young people whose behaviour has been unduly influenced by an excess of red cordial.

It works; I just have to figure out how to dice and splice the result into a CR epic. For the moment, I'm satisfied with silencing the audio racket – whirring Bosch motor plus the old curmudgeon muttering to himself – and uploading a single clip to our forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riding my local gravel roads …
Pine Mountain, Ipswich, QLD
Watch video clip full-size in separate screen.

No photos today, so here is a clip from my safety video cam on the handlebars. Power lines, wheelie bins, lopsided road signs, endless white edge markers – the things that are carefully omitted from photos – are all there. Reality TV?
a little unsettling every time you crested a hill on "the wrong side of the road"

David, the way GoPro stabilises the image gives an oneiric feeling of riding very fast (it is impressive!). While I can see you rode pretty fast downhill.

Finally back on the quiet back roads today as you can see from the elevation profile ;) Half the distance of Sunday but still a fun ride with no wind to speak of and a temp of 4C! No ice for the first time in many weeks and with the morning mist there were some stunning views! Normally you can see the Firth Of Forth here but the water was completely shrouded in mist and with the hills in the background it looked amazing!

1611070543195.jpeg

The snow has disappeared from the Ochil hills but the mountains in the distance are still well covered!

1611070959812.jpeg

1611071164475.jpeg

I think somebody was having a roll in the sawdust!🤣

1611071217436.jpeg

Its just starting to snow again so probably no ride tomorrow or Thursday with more snow forecast so I will have some rest days!

1611071520300.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile246.jpg
    elevation_profile246.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 197
  • trip-61654077-map-full161.png
    trip-61654077-map-full161.png
    419.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 20210119_103536.jpg
    20210119_103536.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 218
  • 20210119_104355.jpg
    20210119_104355.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 20210119_104405.jpg
    20210119_104405.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 20210119_104415.jpg
    20210119_104415.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210119_104833.jpg
    20210119_104833.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 20210119_104852.jpg
    20210119_104852.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 20210119_110532.jpg
    20210119_110532.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 20210119_112208.jpg
    20210119_112208.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 20210119_112234.jpg
    20210119_112234.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 20210119_114958.jpg
    20210119_114958.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 218
And I Was Expecting Thaw...

Possibly the last low temperature ride, -5C. The merino wool layer and snowboarding suit make miracles! So warm!

1611078146446.png

At ul. Orla (Eagle St.) in Podkowa Leśna.
1611078222895.png

Vado and a Jaguar :) Only now I could see someone was transporting their bike on a van (far left). (The red U-Lock on my Vado is ABUS A440, alarm one).

1611078446695.png

Squirrel St. If I turn left, I'm on my homestead. A new neighbour is expected to settle at the lot at the right. I thought the small forest lot belonged to the town but I must have been wrong. There, I was taking photos of my brand new Trance E+ in May last year. (I need to credit the neighbouring Podkowa Leśna; the town statute forbids salting roads there; Horseshoe-In-The-Woods is a "garden city", close to Nature).

I didn't record today's 7.4 km banal ride :)

1611083831779.png

No, that's 9.4 km. Wanted some craft Imperial IPAs and Stouts in the evening :) Snowing! -4 C.

Last edited:
Well, my ride wasn't as cold as @Stefan Mikes , temps were as high as 70°F in California's Sierra foothills! 😱 Temps in California's Central Valley about 1hr west of us hit records yesterday, as high as 76°F!

We should have lots of rain a good amount of snow by now! Instead, we have Spring in the middle of Winter. So I made the best of it with a 30 mile ride that included over 4,600' feet of climbing.

Screenshot_2021-01-19-18-18-25.png

I headed out from the house wanting to ride a route I'd only driven once years ago.

0117211422_Film1.jpg

About 5 miles in the riding surface changed. This is pretty typical around here. I now ride with a Shwalbe Smart Sam on the front wheel and a Specialized Trigger Sport on the rear. Kind of the best of both worlds; good steering control and low-ish rolling resistance.

0117211420_Film1.jpg

It got rougher and narrower within another mile or so.

0117211430_Film1.jpg

Within another mile I found the first of a series of mud holes where I couldn't tell their depth and didn't have the right boots for wading. I would need to ford the creek in about 1/2 mile. It was flowing down to my right deeper and faster than I expected so discretion became the better part of valor. I made this my turn round point on this leg of my ride.

0117211523_Film1.jpg

I continued my ride now headed to the highest peak in the area, Banner Mountain Lookout. Reaching 3,900' this peak is the headwaters of Wolf Creek, a prominent stream that flows through nearby Grass Valley later joining the Bear River. A fire lookout tower was first built on this spot in 1926. Trees were thinned then to provide the best view making this the spot to go for the best views. The pic I took is what remains of this view as the trees have been allowed to grow back after the lookout ceased operation. The tower remains but is now part of a telecommunications antenna array. Not as much fun, but a nice ride up, and very fast on the way down!

I continued my ride which included another fast downhill on the steepest public road around, road past Scotts Flat lake, and then did some grocery shopping in town. Got home just as twilight was fading. Nice afternoon on a bike!

Stefan, you'll notice from the scattered gravel that trucks and cars tend to treat this road as 'single track' – drive down the middle! – but keep to their side of the road over the crest. On an ebike, my concern is to keep to speeds that avoid encountering the loose gravel down the middle or the loose and deep stuff on the left.

Wider tyres – 57 and 60 mm on my ebikes – plus hydraulic disc brakes that allow the gentlest of deceleration are the way to go. I wonder whether Bosch's ABS brakes would be beneficial. (Has anyone encountered them other than on the web?)

GoPro Hero9 Black; whatever that might be. It was 'on special' which I now realise is the permanent state of excitement on GoPro's website which is little more than a gushing stream of advertising featuring impossibly beautiful young people whose behaviour has been unduly influenced by an excess of red cordial.

It works; I just have to figure out how to dice and splice the result into a CR epic. For the moment, I'm satisfied with silencing the audio racket – whirring Bosch motor plus the old curmudgeon muttering to himself – and uploading a single clip to our forum.
The 9 has horizon lock which..well locks the horizon.
It does give supersmooth video, but is almost too smooth.
Ignore me, Ive only got the 8.

Gravel riders' playground …
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Fairney View, QLD

Watch video clip full-size in separate screen.

The rougher the better is how the avid mountain bikers and gravel grinders like the rail trail. From experience, I can report that my 2019 Riese & Müller Homage is not sufficiently rugged to take on trails like this on a regular basis*… no problem for an entry-level eMTB like my Trek Powerfly 5.

* Mounting the second battery on the primary battery's lid, which is held in place by a press stud (no kidding!), is the problem. The solution has been to strap the lid and the second battery down with multiple velcro strips. Conjure up images of old-style sports cars with leather straps keeping their hoods from coming adrift at high speed on gravel roads. Oh, what fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since my last post, I have been riding a few times but mainly all the same general areas that I've shared photos of before.
None the less, here's a few photos to show ground conditions as they have some bearing on why I am riding shorter distances and not every day.

20210120_141746.jpg20210120_143535.jpg20210120_143541.jpg

As you can see, the packed areas are really pockmarked from people walking the paths, and it's playing havoc with my hands and wrists (this is not new) and to a greater extent, my bum shoulder (more news on that in a minute).
The last picture, the one on the right, shows a fairly narrow track and it was often narrower than the 30 - 40cm (12 - 16") wide you see there.
Lots of fun and a good balance practice, but a bit hard on the arms.

Here's the routes.

January 16 - testing the new Giant RideControl App upgrade (semi-successful upgrade)

Jan16_Strava_1.JPG
Jan16_Strava_2.JPG

January 17 - as the Strava title indicates, I was just riding with no destination in mind, and was enjoying the weather and my audiobook.
The book was more of "The Good Turn" by Dervla McTiernan.

I was on roads a lot more than I usually do, but all were residential side roads and were still a bit of a mess with snow and Ice.

Jan17_Strava_1.JPG

January 19
We have some normal winter weather coming, so I thought I'd go for a shorter ride up on the hill and ended up riding a few of my favorite trails.
As mentioned above, the trail surfaces were not kind to my upper body but I took it easy for the most part as I have no intention on even a minor crash at present.

Jan19_Strava_2.JPG

Jan19_Strava_1.JPG

So, although today is actually rather nice, it's a day off. Hopefully the forecast stays valid (rarely) and if so I will get out tomorrow and maybe Friday too.

Jan21_YYC_Forecast.JPG

Finally, I was pleasantly surprised to get a call from the orthopedic surgeon I was referred to. I go in to see her on Monday and hopefully they can schedule the repairs quickly during the normal cocooning time we often have here in the winter.

Why a surgeon? Per my doctor:
" You really messed up your shoulder. Of the 4 muscles and tendons in the rotator cuff, you've completely torn 3 of them. So you don't have an arm left - at least above the waist anyways. Whatever actually works is really just you using your deltoid."

Randall...I see the surgeon mid-Feb about my torn rotator and bone spurs...mine isn’t as bad as yours though this is my third round. My weather isn’t as bad either to say the least but with a pulled groin I haven’t been on my bike but a little this year. Boredom and caution to the wind sent me out this afternoon for ten miles. Glad I went. I’d hardly left my long driveway when I ran into a real estate agent with a young couple in tow. The house on the road in front of my farm went up for sale yesterday, and today they put a contract on it. They had two questions for me...the young man rides and complimented me on my eBike and asked about the roads. Then the young woman asked if I had horses (donkey and horse). I think I checked all the boxes for them.
The few pictures I took were places with an increasing amount of Trump signage wrapped in American and Confederate flags.

Back