Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

and despite the weather I enjoyed my 30 mile ride!
Bravo, Rab! That's what we all would expect from the Flying Scotsman :)

I made the full vid to post on my channel.
Managed to get Doctor Who, David Tennant to narrate it for me ..really..not fibbing
Good work, Chargeride!

Bramki High Assistance (Single Battery Ride)

I promised to Magda to see her rather early on Sunday (11:00 a.m). Before I can ride in the current conditions, I need to pull/put exactly 23 individual items on me, not counting what is needed for the e-bike and home (talk about door-keys... Once I had to call a locksmith to come and replace the garage gate lock as I slammed the gate leaving the whole key-set inside). The weather was nasty. We had a snowfall at night; the roads were only wet (and the Vado's Electrak 2.0 tyres are improbably grippy even at low temps) but the air was full of fog that was condensing on my goggles. For those reasons, I was riding at high assistance modes and the goal was to finish the ride on a single battery. (Yes, I had a spare on me, just in case).

1610301598909.png

This single picture says it all. The vision behind the googles was greatly impaired. I had to occasionally stop and dry the lens with tissues. Luckily, Sunday morning during lockdown means the traffic is almost non-existent.

1610301935095.png

I took the "simple way" along the Hwy 92 for returning, via Błonie. Technically, I could/should take the main road; however the drivers there believe the "bike ban" road-sign is relevant to any bike type, including e-mopeds. Therefore, I took a "bike-path", which is just a bad joke. The "bike path" there is just a damaged sidewalk. There, I was using just 50% assistance (I wanted be at home fast anyway).

I had a funny situation near to Biskupice. There was a cyclist riding with the wind (he rode what I call a "standard modern acoustic bike"). Since I was in Turbo mode, I easily overtook him. In few hundred meters I had to stop at a bus shelter to clean the goggles again. I got off my Vado (and the cyclist rode by at that very moment). I took my gloves and helmet off, dried up the goggle lens, had a cigarette. Replaced the helmet, goggles, gloves, got on the Vado and continued my ride (mashing on the pedals a little bit harder). To my surprise, I overtook the same guy again on entering Brwinów! I guess he must have felt badly about that :) ("Them fugging e-bikes!", I'm sure) :)

12% battery left.

1610302641298.png

Sometimes, it is the right time to stop pretending an athlete and just use the POWER :D

@Chargeride your rides on the moors sure look like something I would really enjoy.
Keep the videos coming - regardless of the narrator 😉
I am going to try to get Martin Shaw to narrate my videos if and when I start doing them. If he's not available, perhaps James McEvoy is looking for work. Alternatively, Bill Paterson or James Cosmo. 😎🤔

After yesterday's wild weather the snow is finally gone but at -5C this morning the ice remains! It was forecast to stay below freezing all day but because it was such a beautiful day I decided to walk the bike to the end of my road where the bus route is always well gritted and stick to the main roads! It really paid off as I had a fantastic ride in the Winter sunshine :D It was so much better than my last ride, despite the busier roads!

This was pretty much the scene for the day, hard frost and ice in the parts where the sun couldn't reach !

1610467322145.jpeg

These hills were totally covered in snow until yesterday!

1610467392688.jpeg

I didn't ride down these roads, back ice everywhere! ;)

1610467458647.jpeg

1610467587359.jpeg

The wildlife were enjoying the only part of the loch that wasn't frozen over!

1610467682766.jpeg

The next 2 days are looking grim but Friday is loooking more promising, I just hope the snow stays away...

1610467859086.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile243.jpg
    elevation_profile243.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 253
  • trip-61358377-map-full158.png
    trip-61358377-map-full158.png
    493.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 20210112_111654.jpg
    20210112_111654.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 20210112_111701.jpg
    20210112_111701.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 20210112_112327.jpg
    20210112_112327.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 273
  • 20210112_113544.jpg
    20210112_113544.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 20210112_113611.jpg
    20210112_113611.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 20210112_114332.jpg
    20210112_114332.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 20210112_114426.jpg
    20210112_114426.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 20210112_114451.jpg
    20210112_114451.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 20210112_114509.jpg
    20210112_114509.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 254
  • 20210112_114539.jpg
    20210112_114539.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 20210112_115708.jpg
    20210112_115708.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 20210112_120511.jpg
    20210112_120511.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 20210112_120740.jpg
    20210112_120740.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 258
  • 20210112_120755.jpg
    20210112_120755.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 263
I'm struggling to get out on the bike, 2 days of complete rain and fog, followed by having to take my mother and her partner to get vaccinated and a day looking after the grandson.
Im feeling guilty complaining, but next weeks looking up!

It was a day for the birds and yet another super mild ride despite the overcast conditions. :)
IMG_20210112_1111326.jpg

IMG_20210112_1115095.jpg

Some kind soul was good enough to hang this suet and seed coated bird house along the trail for the locals. From a bird's POV, it might the ultimate roost.
IMG_20210112_1124477.jpg

A few sections of our local tributary remain open due to the mild weather conditions but I expect this won't be a common sight much longer.
IMG_20210112_1127027.jpg

Aside from the two bird enthusiasts that I came across, the Riverbend Recreation Trail was completely void of people. The X-country skiers stay exclusively on the groomed runs so it was a just me, the trees and the snowy trail that laid ahead.
IMG_20210112_1123387.jpg

The Kerrywood Nature Center and Gaetz Lake Sanctuary sit on 300 acres of federally protected bird and wildlife habitat and walking the 5 km trail behind the center would be an ideal way to spend an afternoon.
IMG_20210112_1200063.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-12 Garmin Connect.jpgScreenshot_2021-01-12 Garmin Connect(1).jpg
Conditions will remain mild for the remainder of the week with a few scattered flurries tomorrow. Hard to believe that we're approaching the middle of January and I'm actually dressing down as if it were fall weather. o_O

Catching up on a few things.

Firstly, 3 rides, without a lot of pictures, and then the "less fun" update.

On Friday, I had to take my car in for servicing. My original plan was to take the bike with me and ride from there.
However, when it was time to head to the dealership for the 10am appointment, it was -15C.
Sorry - but not interested but knowing it would probably improve, I threw my rack into the back of the wagon just in case.

None the less, car was ready at noon, and the weather was improving, so at 1pm I figured I would give it a go as it was about -3C.
The route shows the dealership at point X, but it was nice out so I paid my bill and continued.to ride over to a buddies house as he wanted to see the studded tires.

He's at the Y below - and of course I paused Strava and forgot to resume on my trip back from Y to X.
It was really just retracing the route, as it is a pleasant ride.
Got back to the dealer and loaded up the bike and headed for home.
My guesstimates are an additional 10 km and 100M of climb. But who's counting o_O

Jan8.JPG

Jan8_2.JPG

I took Saturday off, but went out again Sunday. The weather was a bit weird, grey and windy, but what the heck.
Loaded an new Audiobook on my phone, and headed out.
Michael Connolly's "Fair Warning".

Route was completely unplanned, and had hoped to find a route south on the east side of the main north-south freeway. Failed - or at least didn't feel like going any farther east.:
Jan10.JPG

Jan10_2.JPG

There wasn't really any scenery other than some interesting skies to the west while overlooking downtown.

20210110_125629.jpg20210110_134634.jpg

Here's a view, way off in the distance of the place I do the bulk of my trail riding - Nose Hill.
20210110_134630.jpg 20210110_125632.jpg

Today was a bit different - nice temperature of about +6C and I met @LouLouLePew downtown in an area called the East Village for a coffee and then we headed out for a mini-group ride.
Once again, no pictures were taken as it was urban pathways, and in a lot of cases, routes I've photographed before.

Jan12.JPG

Jan12_2.JPG

It was a lovely ride, and we parted ways at a sensible spot and he took his MY21 Giant Explore Pro back south to his place and I went North back to mine on my Fathom.
My ride as just over 50 KMs and his was just under 40.
I got him on max speed too - I hit 49km on a downhill going home and he maxxed out at 39 somewhere on his route. :D

Finally, the "less fun" update.

Back in November I posted where I used the word "Ouch" to describe my ride.
Yes it was a crash and I knew something was wrong with my shoulder but was a bit surprised to hear I get to go under the knife.

I really like my GP (we have similar sporting backgrounds) and I knew it wasn't good when he was shaking his head and sort of chuckling when he was reading the report from the Ultrasound. I quote: "Well, you did a REALLY good job on that shoulder".

3 of the 4 tendons in the rotator cuff area are torn, so my GP has referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. I know the surgeon as she's the one that put my right leg back together in 2012.
I am sure she'll be happy with the way my legs are working, but unfortunately unless I get lucky and get the surgery soon, my 2021 golf season is over really early.

I have no idea when I'll be able to cycle again after the surgery, so I really hope I can get it done and over with in the dead of winter, when we are typically cooped up anyways, regardless of Covid.

Well, the word to end this post will have to be CRAPOLA! :(

I have no idea when I'll be able to cycle again after the surgery, so I really hope I can get it done and over with in the dead of winter, when we are typically cooped up anyways, regardless of Covid.
Bummer Randall. :( I hope that you receive promising news with regards to the scheduling of your surgery. Hard to say when that might occur with respect to elective procedures particularly under the current circumstances. In the meantime, keep spinning those wheels.

Social distancing?
Toowong Reach, Brisbane River

Toowong Reach, Brisbane River
6.55 am; 35 km
On most Wednesday mornings I join a small group of like-minded oldies for a leisurely ride to a café. We start from various places around town which allows us to include, always assuming that that is our wish, a before and an after ride. Today we set off from the south bank of the Brisbane River (above) where we were able to watch this beginners group of school kids enjoying themselves on the water. As you can see from the wake from their craft, they were scarcely moving. Plenty of fun before the serious business of school commences in two weeks!
  • 35 km : solo ride into the city
  • 25 km : companionable ride to the café where we solved all of the world's problems
  • 20 km : fast return to the western suburbs and home for another few coffees
Where to next week?

Catching up on a few things.

Firstly, 3 rides, without a lot of pictures, and then the "less fun" update.

On Friday, I had to take my car in for servicing. My original plan was to take the bike with me and ride from there.
However, when it was time to head to the dealership for the 10am appointment, it was -15C.
Sorry - but not interested but knowing it would probably improve, I threw my rack into the back of the wagon just in case.

None the less, car was ready at noon, and the weather was improving, so at 1pm I figured I would give it a go as it was about -3C.
The route shows the dealership at point X, but it was nice out so I paid my bill and continued.to ride over to a buddies house as he wanted to see the studded tires.

He's at the Y below - and of course I paused Strava and forgot to resume on my trip back from Y to X.
It was really just retracing the route, as it is a pleasant ride.
Got back to the dealer and loaded up the bike and headed for home.
My guesstimates are an additional 10 km and 100M of climb. But who's counting o_O

View attachment 76582

View attachment 76583

I took Saturday off, but went out again Sunday. The weather was a bit weird, grey and windy, but what the heck.
Loaded an new Audiobook on my phone, and headed out.
Michael Connolly's "Fair Warning".

Route was completely unplanned, and had hoped to find a route south on the east side of the main north-south freeway. Failed - or at least didn't feel like going any farther east.:
View attachment 76588
View attachment 76589

There wasn't really any scenery other than some interesting skies to the west while overlooking downtown.

View attachment 76584View attachment 76587

Here's a view, way off in the distance of the place I do the bulk of my trail riding - Nose Hill.
View attachment 76586 View attachment 76585

Today was a bit different - nice temperature of about +6C and I met @LouLouLePew downtown in an area called the East Village for a coffee and then we headed out for a mini-group ride.
Once again, no pictures were taken as it was urban pathways, and in a lot of cases, routes I've photographed before.

View attachment 76590
View attachment 76591
It was a lovely ride, and we parted ways at a sensible spot and he took his MY21 Giant Explore Pro back south to his place and I went North back to mine on my Fathom.
My ride as just over 50 KMs and his was just under 40.
I got him on max speed too - I hit 49km on a downhill going home and he maxxed out at 39 somewhere on his route. :D

Finally, the "less fun" update.

Back in November I posted where I used the word "Ouch" to describe my ride.
Yes it was a crash and I knew something was wrong with my shoulder but was a bit surprised to hear I get to go under the knife.

I really like my GP (we have similar sporting backgrounds) and I knew it wasn't good when he was shaking his head and sort of chuckling when he was reading the report from the Ultrasound. I quote: "Well, you did a REALLY good job on that shoulder".

3 of the 4 tendons in the rotator cuff area are torn, so my GP has referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. I know the surgeon as she's the one that put my right leg back together in 2012.
I am sure she'll be happy with the way my legs are working, but unfortunately unless I get lucky and get the surgery soon, my 2021 golf season is over really early.

Well, the word to end this post will have to be CRAPOLA! :(
Oh, no....
Hope you can get your surgery soon. Sounds like the same damage I did in 2018. Determined, I did the physical therapy afterwards and was doing great in eight months. I discovered Court’s videos and EBR during that time and bought my first ebike. I was careful where I rode, but could pedal long before most anything else. 😁
A few little photos from a recent ride...🚴‍♀️
B1914C44-46A3-4E25-934D-4623694405DE.jpeg

Attachments

• C069CCC7-EE64-4161-81DA-1B2D69400BE1.jpeg
    C069CCC7-EE64-4161-81DA-1B2D69400BE1.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 216
Hope you can get your surgery soon. Sounds like the same damage I did in 2018. Determined, I did the physical therapy afterwards and was doing great in eight months. I discovered Court’s videos and EBR during that time and bought my first ebike. I was careful where I rode, but could pedal long before most anything else. 😁
A few little photos from a recent ride...🚴‍♀️
View attachment 76677
They have the right of way ... in a car or on a bike

Perfect day for a ride …
Scarborough Beach

Scarborough Beach
9.40 am; 43 km

Apart from clicking the What 3 Words link, the location of this beach is a giveaway to those who've followed the 2020 : Our Rides thread…
  • Norfolk Island Pines —> South Pacific
  • Offshore cloud bank —> East Australian Current
  • Calm waters + sand islands on horizon (Bribie left/west & Moreton right/east) —> Moreton Bay
  • Reddish beach —> Redcliffe Peninsula
  • Seagrass litter marking high tide line —> Dugong Paradise!
(US equivalent : St Petersburg, Florida)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is spring weather here in the lower Sierras as well, in the middle of winter! 😱

It isn't often that I come across oddly placed things during my bike rides around my local countryside that give me enough pause to actually stop my ride and contemplate the obscure reasons why something, that obviously doesn't belong, just happens to be....well, there.

Which leads to my ride yesterday "around the block" through the sedate moneyed, and quite historic town of Upperville, the former "bad boy town" of centuries past when scalliwags and neerdowells used to inhabit the place and harrass and/or rob, depending upon the day and the amount of liquor consumed, the stagecoaches hurrying through the one-road town enroute from Alexander to Winchester. Such miscreants have not been seen in these parts since the Roaring Twenties (not the current dumpster fire Twenties but rather the fun Flapper and bootleg Twenties a century ago), so I was at a bit of a loss to ascertain exactly why this bronze (I assume it's bronze, that is) has abruptly made an appearance in an expansive field just outside the town limits:
IMG_20210114_135904253_copy_1008x756.jpg

I suppose I could understand if we were in Texas where oversized cowboy hats, big spurs, bigger chaps, and bucking broncos are almost a state symbol, and most definitely a proud visual of "The Wild West" culture. But here in Virginia? The exhaulted Foxhunting Capital of the US? Where expensive high class Thoroughbreds graze in the pristine fields of old estates, where the ancient class conscious, centuries old rituals of foxhunting hold such a tight sway that members of the hunt dare not step one foot outside the rigid protocol rules as set down by ages of Masters? Not likely. I know a foxhunter who was admonished by her hunt's Master for wearing sunglasses one bright day after she had eye surgery and had been told by her doctor to keep her eyes protected. It was "strongly suggested" that she recuperate at home, rather than on the hunt field, until she could return without need of an accoutrement that was not part of her hunt's mandated attire. She immediately apologized and retired from the field, slinking in disgrace back to her horse trailer, and didn't return until her eyes were healed enough not to need sunglasses.

Yes, some Masters are that strict. You do not stand out, you blend in.

So here I was, standing alongside the highway that bysects this bastion of high-tone, upper crust, "new money is fine but old money is revered" foxhunting cultured town, standing next to my bike, wondering what had been going through the mind of the person who had plunked this out-of-place symbolism of "The Wild West" here, of all places. In an open field. No explanation.

I took a picture, as traffic whizzed behind me, and then rejoined the road as soon as there was a lull in the passing cars. Maybe someday I'll find out why the statue had been placed in that field. But not today. Today was a recuperation day for my sore body, tired of weeks of fencing repairs and manual labor farm projects in the winter cold, and my exhausted mind that was still reeling from the ongoing dumpster fire (if I can recycle that phrase again because it is really all encompassing) that is our political scene at the moment less than a half-century bike ride east of where I stood, spitting distance almost, plus the ongoing pandemic that has seemed to have taken a back seat to the Washington DC melee, not to mention the unconscionable foot dragging rollout of the critical vaccine that has crept along slower than your average snail's pace while my county's daily infection rate is topping 17%.

Yeah, I needed a bike ride. Bad. Besides calming my soul and mental stress levels a ride would also give me the opportunity to test the new "run flats" my mechanic had installed inside the wheels of both my bikes this past week. Plus check out the new front disk brake on the Vado, the old one having been an annoying "howler" from day one, and over time "ruined" was the word my mechanic used to describe the "repairs" done to it by another bike shop. New brake pads all around as well. My bikes were primed and ready for a whole new year.

Happily the weather had offered a respite, pushing the temps up into the balmy 50s (10c), with sunny skies and the sweetest calm one could ever hope for on a mid-January afternoon. The only breezes produced were those of my bike, which was fine by me.

Partway through this wonderful old town of Upperville is a local library.
IMG_20210114_140503_8_copy_676x549.jpg
Housed in an ancient stone building smaller than my Living Room, the elegant hand lettered sign above the diminutive entryway (think "stoop to go inside otherwise you'll bang your head on the door frame" type of diminutive ) boasting the library's existence from 1804. I'm guessing the local scalliwags and neerdowells in residence back then didn't have much use for books, and as the centuries passed and the local population increased in size and wealth, those residences had their own libraries and thus had no strong need for a public library. Not to be deterred, the library continued to remain a stakeholder in the town, building pride in its own existance to the point where the tiny building has not one, but two signs, just in case you didn't notice the first.

The door was closed and locked so I peered in the window. The darkened interior was in a bit of disarray, with boxes here and there as if someone was unpacking stuff. The book shelves, which lined the walls floor to low ceiling, had a decent, but scarcely overwhelming collection, with lots of gaps in between the books. Interesting. Maybe one day I'll visit when it is open, whenever that will be because there were no hours posted.

Upperville is a really strange town.

Just a few feet further was the massive Episcopal church, the centerpiece of the wealth and privilege of the surrounding countryside. I rode my bike around behind the church to the elegant graveyard, the final resting place of many a notable landowner of wealth and prestige. My old endurance friend is buried there, granted a place in this exclusive venue by virtue of being old money and substantial estate holder in her time. Cancer doesn't care, however. It strikes rich and poor with no reservations, no sympathy. It didn't seem like 17 years since we last rode our horses together, laughing and sharing tales of the endurance trail, before cancer robbed her of her ability to ride, and then robbed her of her life. She was 2 years younger than me. I stood in the silent graveyard, contemplating her plaque where it lay nestled in the dried winter grass, the turf still looking freshly cut although I know the last time the mower passed over her grave was months ago.

Just outside the yard I bumped into an old friend who works at the church and we stood, socially distanced, to talk and catch up on the local news and how the church was coping in the pandemic (really extraordinarily well, I was told, with much credit being given to some innovative and very creative fun ways of having the congregation still enjoy their Sunday worship together, albeit outside the stunning hallowed walls of the massive stone church) until her duties pulled her away. We said our goodbyes with promises to get together again as soon as the current madness died down.

The ride down the highway (25mph through town which is lovely) ended soon enough as I left behind the beautiful historic stone and brick buildings for the more peaceful gravel roads.
IMG_20210114_150300_6_copy_552x480.jpg

At one point I passed, then turned my bike back around, to stop and photograph, a paused moment in a stone wall repair.
IMG_20210114_143237_0_copy_800x455.jpg
These walls have been a hallmark of the countryside since the first European settlers took over American Native lands and cleared the rocky fields for crops and livestock. Over the centuries the dry stacked walls have succumbed to gravity and weather, only to be restored and then left to tumble down again decades later. This wall had been in the process of being restacked before winter set in. Apparently the mason had simply left the job to wait until warmer weather, leaving behind his frames where they stood. I suppose this spring, when I ride this road again, I will see the mason back at work, rebuilding the stone wall to last yet another century before it tumbles down again.

IMG_20210114_135913176_copy_1579x538.jpg

As peaceful and beautiful as my ride had been, only my mind had been rested. My body was sadly beyond fatigued and had not enjoyed the outting at all. I was getting too many complaints from too many body parts to push the ride beyond 20 miles (32 klm), no matter how slow I rode or how high the assist. I finally gave in and headed home, taking the sweet memories of this ride and the last of the afternoon sun and warmth with me.

Last edited:
It isn't often that I come across oddly placed things during my bike rides around my local countryside that give me enough pause to actually stop my ride and contemplate the obscure reasons why something, that obviously doesn't belong, just happens to be....well, there.

Which leads to my ride yesterday "around the block" through the sedate moneyed, and quite historic town of Upperville, the former "bad boy town" of centuries past when scalliwags and neerdowells used to inhabit the place and harrass and/or rob, depending upon the day and the amount of liquor consumed, the stagecoaches hurrying through the one-road town enroute from Alexander to Winchester. Such miscreants have not been seen in these parts since the Roaring Twenties (not the current dumpster fire Twenties but rather the fun Flapper and bootleg Twenties a century ago), so I was at a bit of a loss to ascertain exactly why this bronze (I assume it's bronze, that is) has abruptly made an appearance in an expansive field just outside the town limits:
View attachment 76721
I suppose I could understand if we were in Texas where oversized cowboy hats, big spurs, bigger chaps, and bucking broncos are almost a state symbol, and most definitely a proud visual of "The Wild West" culture. But here in Virginia? The exhaulted Foxhunting Capital of the US? Where expensive high class Thoroughbreds graze in the pristine fields of old estates, where the ancient class conscious, centuries old rituals of foxhunting hold such a tight sway that members of the hunt dare not step one foot outside the rigid protocol rules as set down by ages of Masters? Not likely. I know a foxhunter who was admonished by her hunt's Master for wearing sunglasses one bright day after she had eye surgery and had been told by her doctor to keep her eyes protected. It was "strongly suggested" that she recuperate at home, rather than on the hunt field, until she could return without need of an accoutrement that was not part of her hunt's mandated attire. She immediately apologized and retired from the field, slinking in disgrace back to her horse trailer, and didn't return until her eyes were healed enough not to need sunglasses.

Yes, some Masters are that strict. You do not stand out, you blend in.

So here I was, standing alongside the highway that bysects this bastion of high-tone, upper crust, "new money is fine but old money is revered" foxhunting cultured town, standing next to my bike, wondering what had been going through the mind of the person who had plunked this out-of-place symbolism of "The Wild West" here, of all places. In an open field. No explanation.

I took a picture, as traffic whizzed behind me, and then rejoined the road as soon as there was a lull in the passing cars. Maybe someday I'll find out why the statue had been placed in that field. But not today. Today was a recuperation day for my sore body, tired of weeks of fencing repairs and manual labor farm projects in the winter cold, and my exhausted mind that was still reeling from the ongoing dumpster fire (if I can recycle that phrase again because it is really all encompassing) that is our political scene at the moment less than a half-century bike ride east of where I stood, spitting distance almost, plus the ongoing pandemic that has seemed to have taken a back seat to the Washington DC melee, not to mention the unconscionable foot dragging rollout of the critical vaccine that has crept along slower than your average snail's pace while my county's daily infection rate is topping 17%.

Yeah, I needed a bike ride. Bad. Besides calming my soul and mental stress levels a ride would also give me the opportunity to test the new "run flats" my mechanic had installed inside the wheels of both my bikes this past week. Plus check out the new front disk brake on the Vado, the old one having been an annoying "howler" from day one, and over time "ruined" was the word my mechanic used to describe the "repairs" done to it by another bike shop. New brake pads all around as well. My bikes were primed and ready for a whole new year.

Happily the weather had offered a respite, pushing the temps up into the balmy 50s (10c), with sunny skies and the sweetest calm one could ever hope for on a mid-January afternoon. The only breezes produced were those of my bike, which was fine by me.

Partway through this wonderful old town of Upperville is a local library.
View attachment 76722Housed in an ancient stone building smaller than my Living Room, the elegant hand lettered sign above the diminutive entryway (think "stoop to go inside otherwise you'll bang your head on the door frame" type of diminutive ) boasting the library's existence from 1804. I'm guessing the local scalliwags and neerdowells in residence back then didn't have much use for books, and as the centuries passed and the local population increased in size and wealth, those residences had their own libraries and thus had no strong need for a public library. Not to be deterred, the library continued to remain a stakeholder in the town, building pride in its own existance to the point where the tiny building has not one, but two signs, just in case you didn't notice the first.

The door was closed and locked so I peered in the window. The darkened interior was in a bit of disarray, with boxes here and there as if someone was unpacking stuff. The book shelves, which lined the walls floor to low ceiling, had a decent, but scarcely overwhelming collection, with lots of gaps in between the books. Interesting. Maybe one day I'll visit when it is open, whenever that will be because there were no hours posted.

Upperville is a really strange town.

Just a few feet further was the massive Episcopal church, the centerpiece of the wealth and privilege of the surrounding countryside. I rode my bike around behind the church to the elegant graveyard, the final resting place of many a notable landowner of wealth and prestige. My old endurance friend is buried there, granted a place in this exclusive venue by virtue of being old money and substantial estate holder in her time. Cancer doesn't care, however. It strikes rich and poor with no reservations, no sympathy. It didn't seem like 17 years since we last rode our horses together, laughing and sharing tales of the endurance trail, before cancer robbed her of her ability to ride, and then robbed her of her life. She was 2 years younger than me. I stood in the silent graveyard, contemplating her plaque where it lay nestled in the dried winter grass, the turf still looking freshly cut although I know the last time the mower passed over her grave was months ago.

Just outside the yard I bumped into an old friend who works at the church and we stood, socially distanced, to talk and catch up on the local news and how the church was coping in the pandemic (really extraordinarily well, I was told, with much credit being given to some innovative and very creative fun ways of having the congregation still enjoy their Sunday worship together, albeit outside the stunning hallowed walls of the massive stone church) until her duties pulled her away. We said our goodbyes with promises to get together again as soon as the current madness died down.

The ride down the highway (25mph through town which is lovely) ended soon enough as I left behind the beautiful historic stone and brick buildings for the more peaceful gravel roads.
View attachment 76724
At one point I passed, then turned my bike back around, to stop and photograph, a paused moment in a stone wall repair.
View attachment 76725These walls have been a hallmark of the countryside since the first European settlers took over American Native lands and cleared the rocky fields for crops and livestock. Over the centuries the dry stacked walls have succumbed to gravity and weather, only to be restored and then left to tumble down again decades later. This wall had been in the process of being restacked before winter set in. Apparently the mason had simply left the job to wait until warmer weather, leaving behind his frames where they stood. I suppose this spring, when I ride this road again, I will see the mason back at work, rebuilding the stone wall to last yet another century before it tumbles down again.

View attachment 76727
As peaceful and beautiful as my ride had been, only my mind had been rested. My body was sadly beyond fatigued and had not enjoyed the outting at all. I was getting too many complaints from too many body parts to push the ride beyond 20 miles, no matter how slow I rode or how high the assist. I finally gave in and headed home, taking the sweet memories of this ride and the last of the afternoon sun and warmth with me.
OK, look, this is what you HAVE to do. You'll need a ladder. Probably have to go out at night. Dark of the moon. Tape a croquet mallet off the end of the cowboy's stick. 🤪🤠

Back