Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

And accent which I would find quaint in Cornwall, sounds absolutely hideous in America (to me). But variety is good. Better than everyone speaking the same way.
I like the down East, UP north accent of Mainers. Not enamored of my fellow New Yawkers Brooklyn accent. But then again, I was on a visit a long while ago and asked my sister what kind of accent was at the next table. She said they were from The Bronx, like us!!!! It was so distinct that I heard it. Folks can kind of detect I'm from the east coast but can't localize it anymore than that. Not sure why.

And accent which I would find quaint in Cornwall, sounds absolutely hideous in America (to me). But variety is good. Better than everyone speaking the same way.
Exactly, I find all US accents lovely, because I have no embedded stereotypes to tarnish them with.
Most people in England dont like the Liverpool accent, but anyone who knows nothing of history think its really funny and cute.
A strong Cornish accent in the UK isnt disliked, but it does make you sound a little bit hillbilly

Barn of the day. This type of barn is also common in my area, being falling down and overgrown with trees around it. For modern use they aren’t that great and people that keep them up I think it’s mostly a matter of pride. There is no house near this one but most likely there was at one time. I did over 20 miles today and nothing compared to mountains but I had over 900 feet of elevation change.
11B49F33-5193-4E3C-A972-E10E3A53A55E.png
3BEB70FD-A7A8-471B-ACC1-60F1275C66C0.jpeg

23 miles and the usual 800 feet to Discovery Park, Smith Cove Park and Myrtle Edwards Park.

And something for our Canadian friends for Seafair Week in Seattle.

PXL_20220803_213704236c.jpg

PXL_20220803_215541373-.jpg

Front guns and
PXL_20220803_215528933-.jpg

Rear guns
PXL_20220803_215520119-.jpg

Do those clouds really portend the first rain since mid-July?
PXL_20220803_220723386c.jpg

The Saskatoon with the Maple Leaf
PXL_20220803_221010040-.jpg

Mt tabor in the middle of portland an extent volcano. always a fun ride. they have painted Piano around portland for people to play and here is one. Plus band down below. this used to hold a lot of the drinking water but not anymore. A full video of the ride too.

Today's ride:

Screenshot_20220804-000223.png

Don't often ride east due to a few sketchy, shoulder-less stretches on the road, but decided to give it a try today ...

Looking more east, toward the mainland:

PXL_20220803_222634862~2.jpg

We had a head wind outbound, and it changed direction while we were riding so faced the same coming back!

Also, pretty dang hilly:

Screenshot_20220804-001046.png

We had our share of big trucks blasting by, but mostly along the good shoulder areas so it wasn't TOO scary.

A Red Tailed Hawk, two Bald Eagles, a Great Blue Herron and a Bobcat, (lots of horses, small critters and birds as well.

Another nice Summer day in Northern New England. It was a good day for seeing wildlife, but unfortunately, I did a poor job capturing any of it with my phone. The first notable critter was a Red Tailed Hawk. I was at a stop sign on a gravel road when it flew by at eye level. I estimate that it was less than 30’ in front of me, (sorry, no picture).

Then I rode to the Knapp Wildlife Refuge near Reading Vermont. If you look straight up over the left side of the island, (West side), you will see a Bald Eagle, (much better in person). I watched it until it went out of site over the ridge to the right, (East). There is another Bald Eagle in the top of the tallest tree on the island.

177BD1DD-9489-4ED2-B31B-723A9DB1E7D3.jpeg

Bald Eagle in the tree, (you can just make out his white head in this picture.

BA25AF99-199E-44E6-9158-29B9977CFCD2.jpeg

Same scene without zooming in and lacking an eagle, (the digital zooms are a waste).

E79B55D8-138F-424B-AC6B-6BC08CF9A7FA.jpeg

Here is a Great Blue Herron and a few Mallard Ducks. The Herons look like Pterodactyls in flight with their feet trailing behind them. You can get a sense of it’s size when comparing it to the ducks. The real oddity of the day was a Bobcat. They are quite rare in this area and it is only the second time that I have ever seen one in the wild. The Bobcat crossed the road approximately 200’ in from of me, but my phone was stashed in the back of my jersey. I got to enjoy the sighting for maybe all of three seconds, but it was pretty cool just the same.

165B31C7-A3CF-4E3C-8C92-D05438D73F07.jpeg

I’ve been a cyclist for nearly all of my lif ex, but it took the e-bike for me to stop and smell the roses.

Last edited:
1659635681258.png

After a few very windy days, today was much better but there were some heavy rain showers around! I was intending to do a metric century but ended up doing much more due to weather avoidance, I managed to stay dry most of the ride but did get caught in a heavy shower! Thankfully I had a nice tailwind at the time and managed to outrun the rain! I started off using my local back roads which were very quiet and I was in my element! I love how green everything is now, this is a little pond I pass pretty often!

1659637058900.png

1659637137787.png

I was now heading towards the Clyde Valley, keeping an eye on the rain clouds which were all around! I did get a lot of sun also and the temp was just nice when the sun was out! This is just before the descent down into the valley, this is such a lovely descent in dry conditions!

1659637436505.png

I was now cycling down in the valley and watching the clouds to see which way to head, looking south it was pretty clear so I took one of the big climbs out of the valley heading south! This was a big climb with lots of twists and turns, it was a road I hadn't used before so I wasn't sure where it would lead me! I was loving the climb as the road was in great condition, I reached the top of the climb and had a great view of the surroundings and decided to head in a westerly direction!

I was on unfamiliar roads now but I knew I would eventually reach a town or village and before long I arrived in the town of Larkhall which can be busy at times! I reached the centre of the town which was busy but I now knew where I was and I followed the road to Kirkmuirhill which would be much quieter and at the far side of the town there is a lovely cycle path to enjoy!

1659638252051.png

I continued along the path which was very quiet and I remembered it eventually leads to another nice path which runs alongside the old A74 which was the main road from Scotland down into England, back then it was one of the busiest roads in the country! Now its extremely quiet and a lot of fun as its mostly downhill, it was just sublime! I was now heading for Lanark on the A70 which is such a great road to ride, it can be busy with trucks but thankfully it wasn't busy today and with a strong tailwind behind me I was in cycling heaven! The wind was starting to really pick up now but it was a tailwind which I was very glad of when I spotted a big squall heading my way, I started to feel the rain and it was quite heavy! I managed to outrun the rain eventually with the strong breeze behind me!

This road road runs alongside the River Clyde and offers some nice views on a clear day, the rain was now gone and it was now rather pleasant!

1659639339670.png

1659639030640.png

I reached the Hyndford Bridge which takes you up a big climb to Lanark, I was now passing over the river which was looking rather low after the long dry spell!

1659639513681.png

1659639654420.png

I knew Lanark would be busy but I had a plan to take a much quieter road part way through the town, I was very glad when I reached the turn and I could enjoy quiet roads again! The road from here heads north and at first it was great as the trees were blocking out the strong westerly breeze, eventually the trees subside and there are open fields on either side which means the crosswinds were now blasting me from the left! I stopped here for some photos and my bike was almost blown over, luckily I was standing next to the bike and caught it just in time!

1659640066445.png

1659640149672.png

Time was getting on now so I got my head down and battled into the strong breeze, I had taken 2 batteries with me and with all the climbing and the strong headwind they were taking a beating! I had one charged to 97% but only had the other charged to 80%, I was beginning to regret not giving it more charge! So now I had to stick with eco mode into the strong breeze and I knew I had a lot of climbing still to come, thankfully I made it home with second battery at 20%! Thats the first time I have had range anxiety for quite a while but it didn't spoil my ride, I had such a great day! :D I really wasn't intending to go so far today and to climb over 5000ft, but I certainly don't regret it and next time I will make sure both of my batteries are topped up....;)

Attachments

• elevation_profile96.jpg
    elevation_profile96.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 98
  • trip-98676932-map-full96.png
    trip-98676932-map-full96.png
    410 KB · Views: 111
  • 20220804_125549.jpg
    20220804_125549.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 20220804_130023.jpg
    20220804_130023.jpg
    915.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 20220804_132035.jpg
    20220804_132035.jpg
    869.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220804_140325.jpg
    20220804_140325.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220804_140336.jpg
    20220804_140336.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 20220804_145920.jpg
    20220804_145920.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20220804_145936.jpg
    20220804_145936.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220804_150336.jpg
    20220804_150336.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220804_150857.jpg
    20220804_150857.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220804_150900.jpg
    20220804_150900.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220804_154023.jpg
    20220804_154023.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 103
Ive been meaning to visit this park for a long time since watching a video about it.
Its only 20 mins away across the Mersey on the Wirral Peninsula.
Birkenhead Park sits in the middle of quite a rough area that used to be the epitome of English wealth and style.
It was the first park built for the people by the government and was styled unlike any park before it, much like a huge fantasy garden.
It attracted a famous American architect who fell in love with it and the surrounding town.
He returned to the States, entered his design based on this park and he won the chance to build Central Park, New York, based on its style.

Screenshot_20220804-203749.png

I rode around for several hours and you can imagine what a wonder it was in its
day and how it must have influenced him.
If youre interested in seeing me ride around it and prattle on.

Ive been meaning to visit this park for a long time since watching a video about it.
Birkenhead Park sits in the middle of quite a rough area that used to be the epitome of English wealth and style.
It was the first park built for the people by the government and was styled unlike any park before it, much like a huge fantasy garden.
It attracted a famous American architect who fell in love with it and the surrounding town.
He returned to the States, entered his design based on this park and he won the chance to build Central Park, New York, based on its style.

View attachment 131186

Very nice. It reminds me of Roger Williams Park in Providence Rhode Island, USA.

View attachment 131155

After a few very windy days, today was much better but there were some heavy rain showers around! I was intending to do a metric century but ended up doing much more due to weather avoidance, I managed to stay dry most of the ride but did get caught in a heavy shower! Thankfully I had a nice tailwind at the time and managed to outrun the rain! I started off using my local back roads which were very quiet and I was in my element! I love how green everything is now, this is a little pond I pass pretty often!

View attachment 131159
View attachment 131160

I was now heading towards the Clyde Valley, keeping an eye on the rain clouds which were all around! I did get a lot of sun also and the temp was just nice when the sun was out! This is just before the descent down into the valley, this is such a lovely descent in dry conditions!

View attachment 131164

I was now cycling down in the valley and watching the clouds to see which way to head, looking south it was pretty clear so I took one of the big climbs out of the valley heading south! This was a big climb with lots of twists and turns, it was a road I hadn't used before so I wasn't sure where it would lead me! I was loving the climb as the road was in great condition, I reached the top of the climb and had a great view of the surroundings and decided to head in a westerly direction!

I was on unfamiliar roads now but I knew I would eventually reach a town or village and before long I arrived in the town of Larkhall which can be busy at times! I reached the centre of the town which was busy but I now knew where I was and I followed the road to Kirkmuirhill which would be much quieter and at the far side of the town there is a lovely cycle path to enjoy!

View attachment 131166

I continued along the path which was very quiet and I remembered it eventually leads to another nice path which runs alongside the old A74 which was the main road from Scotland down into England, back then it was one of the busiest roads in the country! Now its extremely quiet and a lot of fun as its mostly downhill, it was just sublime! I was now heading for Lanark on the A70 which is such a great road to ride, it can be busy with trucks but thankfully it wasn't busy today and with a strong tailwind behind me I was in cycling heaven! The wind was starting to really pick up now but it was a tailwind which I was very glad of when I spotted a big squall heading my way, I started to feel the rain and it was quite heavy! I managed to outrun the rain eventually with the strong breeze behind me!

This road road runs alongside the River Clyde and offers some nice views on a clear day, the rain was now gone and it was now rather pleasant!

View attachment 131168

View attachment 131167

I reached the Hyndford Bridge which takes you up a big climb to Lanark, I was now passing over the river which was looking rather low after the long dry spell!

View attachment 131169
View attachment 131170

I knew Lanark would be busy but I had a plan to take a much quieter road part way through the town, I was very glad when I reached the turn and I could enjoy quiet roads again! The road from here heads north and at first it was great as the trees were blocking out the strong westerly breeze, eventually the trees subside and there are open fields on either side which means the crosswinds were now blasting me from the left! I stopped here for some photos and my bike was almost blown over, luckily I was standing next to the bike and caught it just in time!

View attachment 131171
View attachment 131172

Time was getting on now so I got my head down and battled into the strong breeze, I had taken 2 batteries with me and with all the climbing and the strong headwind they were taking a beating! I had one charged to 97% but only had the other charged to 80%, I was beginning to regret not giving it more charge! So now I had to stick with eco mode into the strong breeze and I knew I had a lot of climbing still to come, thankfully I made it home with second battery at 20%! Thats the first time I have had range anxiety for quite a while but it didn't spoil my ride, I had such a great day! :D I really wasn't intending to go so far today and to climb over 5000ft, but I certainly don't regret it and next time I will make sure both of my batteries are topped up....;)
Beautiful. Sometimes the best adventures are the ones with unplanned detours.

Ha, my dad has that accent, he grew up rather posh, but let the whole family down by upping sticks to live in cornwall and get a job as a mechanic, I had a cornish accent when I was young.
proper job.
And behold some Americans speak it
In 1977, fresh out of USCG boot camp, I reported to my CG cutter based in Atlantic Beach, NC, which was south of Cape Hatteras and Cape Lookout, NC. The Coast Guard, for the most part; likes to send people native from the area to the nearby operational stations and cutters in that area. Think folks close to home tend to have a higher morale for their work, compared to someone sent thousands of miles away from home. Of course, the CG wasn't thinking about my well being, as I was never before south of the Mason Dixon Line until recieving orders for the cutter Chilula!

With that out of the way, we had many NC locals on that ship. Including a senior engineer who came from "Downeast Carolina"; with a family name well known for that particular area. And yes, he had that "English brogue" about him. I thought it an interesting accent and I'm sure he thought my "Philadelphia-Delaware Valley accent" was proabably unique, too.

One time, I took my 74 Camaro "Downeast", on NC highway 70, starting at Beaufort to the end of the line at Sea Level, then into Atlantic, hitching a turn onto 12 and the true end at Cedar Island, where the ferry to Ocracoke was. Folks, these areas are truly lonely and isolated areas, with lots of swampy ground, tall cedars and lots of fishing vessels. Watermen country. The people in this isolated section called Downeast Carolina made their living on the water. The Outer Banks are some of the stormiest waters in the whole US, for hurricanes ususally follow the Gulf Stream and at the Outer Banks, the Gulf Stream is the closest to the Continental US at Hatteras, Ocracoke, Harkers Island by some 20 miles or so. Here in NJ, you have to go 70 miles out to sea to reach it and the great fishing. The area off shore of Downeast Carolina is nicknamed "The Graveyard of the Atlantic" and for good reason; the close proximity of the Gulf Stream. So, these "Downeasters" were not ony isolated, but they also had to be a strong willed bunch of people to live and work in an area prone to bad storms.

I later was stationed on a lighthouse some 10 miles out to sea, off the Downeast Maine Coast. And that same kind of accent I first heard in Downeast Carolina, I heard again in the locals who hailed from Downeast Maine in the Mt Desert Island region. I believe it was the sheer isolation of these areas, that made these locals both in NC and ME keep that old english/original american english, with them through the centuries. They simply never left home.

There is a bit of that english/irish brogue also in the Chesapeake Bay old fishing communities as well....

Last edited:

View attachment 131186

Olmsted and he/brother designed a series of Seattle parks, too.

Standing out from the herd…

The Painted Cow, Toogoolawah, Queensland

Toogoolawah, Queensland
MOO-ve along, dearie… nothing to be seen here! (We don't just talk funny, we look funny, too.)

The building behind the painted cow is the semi-restored Toogoolawah Station which is next to the rail trail, which is how I came to be in this quaint country town.

Toogoolawah Station, Brisbane Valley Rail Trail, Queensland

Back