Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Thanks, Stefan, but my reason for not wanting to ride the Vado on gravel isn't the tires. It's the chain. Gravel roads are harsh on chain drives, and if there's one I hate having to clean on a bike...it's the chain. Petty, I know, but what can I say? I'm spoiled having a belt drive bike for gravel because the belt requires zero care even in the harshest environment.

If I like the Class 1 Gazelle I'm tempted to just rent it to use on my gravel roads until they can get me a Class 3.
Recommend a hot wax lube. All I do on the gravel bikes these days. It’s a pain in the ass to apply the first time (needs a totally clean drivetrain, then submerging the chain in molten wax) but requires minimal maintenance for a while once done, even on dusty gravel roads.

This ride is dedicated to my dear old dad who passed away peacefully on May 30th 2022...

View attachment 125095

After losing my dear old dad at the start of the week I really needed a ride to clear my head, it was another windy day and today it was from the east! I was actually fully expecting to get wet today but my luck was in and the misty conditions evaporated eventually and it brightened up a little!

The first 22 miles were into a 25-30mph headwind, was I glad when I turned to have that wind behind me? You bet I was and what a return ride it was, I decided to check out some new roads and I wasn't disappointed!

I have passed this road many times and today I decided it was time to check it out, what a shock I got when I turned the corner to see this! Of course the camera doesn't do it justice, it was just over 20% despite Ridewithgps saying my max grade was 15.7%...

View attachment 125097

This is my kind of road, at the top I joined the road I have cycled many times so I knew what was in store and today I had that wind behind me, its a huge downhill where I have reached 40 mph+ many times! Well today I was unlucky as I was closing in on 45mph some cars ahead had me on the brakes, I'm sure I could have hit 50mph today...another day maybe!

This is the hill from the opposite direction!

View attachment 125098

There are some nice views around this area, its not just the roads that are awesome!

View attachment 125099

The hill I descended at 44.3mph can be seen in the distance here, it doesn't look that steep huh? ;)

View attachment 125100

I was now back on familiar roads but once again I decided to try a new road and this turned out to be spectacular with big ups and downs and twists and turns, it eventually led me to Beecraigs Country Park which I know really well!

View attachment 125101

I was now heading for another twisty road I know very well, this one is also very steep and a lot of fun to ride!

The cork screw which always reminds me of Laguna Seca, except for the weather!🤣

View attachment 125103
View attachment 125104

It was very surreal today, for the first time in years I had no time constraints as dad wasn't awaiting my return! It will take some getting used to but I know he is in a better place now! What a fantastic ride I had despite the windy conditions, the roads were just sublime!:D

My Ridewithgps recap for the month of May, not many rides but my best month of the year so far mileage wise!

View attachment 125120
It was obvious to all of us how attentive you had been to your father…I am sure he knew how much you loved him. Take care of yourself.💝

The Four Hills of Banff ⛰️

Web capture_4-6-2022_213411_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-06-04 at 21-41-48 Garmin Connect.jpg

We've been wanting to do this ride for a while now and we’re glad that we did it before the onslaught of the summer holiday traffic. The weather was ideal contrary to what the most recent forecasts were telling us. It’s still a bit early in the season to say what Mother Nature has up her sleeve particularly when it comes to the unpredictable conditions in this mountain resort town.

We would start off the outing at Cascade Ponds just outside of the entrance to the townsite of Banff. There’s plenty of parking here and safe access to the Banff townsite is possible thanks to a section of the paved Legacy Trail that runs beneath the main highway.

Cascade Ponds.jpg

The first climb up towards Lake Minnewanka wasn’t too difficult and we managed quite well for the most part of the ride without assistance from the motors. We decided only to use PAS on the steepest of the climbs including the switchbacks up to Mt. Norquay. I recommend doing the 13 km Minnewanka loop counter clockwise as it affords the best views off to one’s right for photo opps. Brief stops along the way included picturesque Johnston Lake and Two Jack Lake. If it wasn’t for it’s smaller size, Johnston would make an excellent spot to kayak. It is a popular area for paddle boarders though.

IMG_20220602_1014000.jpg

View of Two Jack Lake from a point above. There is also a nice campground near the lake that was partially occupied at the time by a tour group of bike campers.

IMG_20220602_1038057.jpg

Lake Minne is a perfect place to stop along the road and admire the view. Wind wasn’t an issue on this day but it’s known to get very gusty here on the open water.

IMG_20220602_1045218.jpg

GS010151(Lake Minni).jpgIMG_20220602_1046022.jpg

We would loop back along Minne’s scenic road towards Banff avoiding the heavily trafficked TC Hwy and opted instead to ride the safer route into town along Banff’s main street. We would eventually make our way to Mt Norquay Road for the second climb of the outing, a 302 meter elevation gain over 5.5 km.

This is one of the Texas gate rails we encountered before entering the road up to Norquay. It required us to dismount from our bikes and carefully tip toe to the other side all while trying to avoid slipping through the wide gaps. A MTB would likely have no problem traversing these grates but not so with narrower gravel/road tires.

IMG_20220602_1133148.jpg

There was a decent amount of climbing as we made our way up the six switchbacks towards the summit to Norquay. Fast descents are always fun but the proximity between the turns prevented any exhilarating high speed thrills. With the Norquay ski resort now closed, traffic was relatively light with the exception of a few vehicles making their way up to the lookout or the summit.

A nice view of the Banff Townsite as seen from final switchback before the summit.

IMG_20220602_1206538.jpg

IMG_20220602_1206583.jpg

GS010154 (Tight Hairpin).jpg

The third assent is up to the Sulphur Gondola/Upper Hot Springs before a quick down hill run then up another slight climb towards Surprise Corner where the Iconic Banff Springs Hotel comes into view which seems like only a stone throw from the flowing Bow River below. The hotel takes on a more grandeur look from this vantage point compared to riding past it as I did on a visit to the area last year. My wife recalls when we were both employed by the CP Hotels 35 yrs ago standard room rates with our staff discounts were a paltry $50 Cdn/night. During peak season, a room now with a mountain view at current rates could likely set you back a c-note.

We stopped for a quick bite atop near the Banff Gondola before heading back down Mountain Ave.

IMG_20220602_1311201.jpg

IMG_20220602_1311296.jpg

A splendid view of the Banff Spring Hotel from atop Surprise Corner

IMG_20220602_1327117.jpg

IMG_20220602_1330146.jpg

One more final short climb that would take us up to the Banff Center of Fine Arts and yet another wonderful lookout which features a walking trail back down to the town’s center.

IMG_20220602_1334490.jpg

IMG_20220602_1336126.jpg

IMG_20220602_1347069.jpg

As we made our way back along Tunnel Mtn Road we spotted two of BNP’s finest working on the relocation of signage. Sections of this road are familiar having cycled the nearby Tunnel Mtn Bench Trail this spring with @RandallS and my BIL on our mtbs. Our ride ended where it started back at Cascade Ponds. 👍

IMG_20220602_1356325.jpg

IMG_20220602_1356381.jpg

A video tribute to the Four Hills of Banff.

Data In, Data Out
trip_card.jpg

Yesterday's cool, bright, and clear morning was spent enjoying an outing with the bike shop group ride. Had the Vado on the back of the electric car for the 20 mile drive to the shop in Leesburg, unloaded, had some social time chatting before the group headed eastward to Ashburn and back. I rarely get east of Leesburg to witness the (over)growth of Suburbia in eastern Loudoun County so it was rather fun to see how the urban types live. I felt a bit like the country hick gaping at all the new fangled buildings and multi-million $$$$ housing developments at every twist and turn enroute. The data centers are a big presence in this part of Virginia and we passed two of these mammoth sites that were still expanding into the surrounding countryside. They rather looked like federal prisons with their high, narrow steel fences topped with dozens of cameras, endless warning signs against trespassing protecting row upon row of faceless featureless dystopian box shaped buildings. You could hear the constant endless low hum of the air through the multitude of wall fins on each building. It was the breath of millions of bits of data being processed every nanosecond 24/7 for the World Wide Web...or so I imagined.
COPT-DC-6-Front-Gate.jpg

One of the center we passed. Stock photos from the web. Not mine.
Below what the interior looks like. The amount of electricity it uses is unfathomable. Huge, huge gigawatts of power.
RagingWire-Nothern-Virginia.jpg

Our small group (minus me because I was taking this shot)
20220604_101422_copy_800x670.jpg

It was a day to be out cycling, immediately evidenced by the miles long parade of cyclists, walkers, and joggers populating the 45 mile long Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) rail trail that extends from Washington DC westward to the Blue Ridge Mountains. The rail trail goes directly through the center of Leesburg making it an easy entry point to the more populated eastern sections of Loudoun County.
2750155343_9f75a7159e_b.jpg

(Stock photo from the internet)

As urban as the surrounds were, the trail retained a welcoming shaded border of trees and woodlands, periodically opening up to a natural landscape interspersed with creeks and wetlands. However, the recent rain and heavy winds had left the trail littered with the debris of leaves and small sticks from the bordering trees, and quite a bit of the tall local underbrush had been pushed by the wind into overlapping the edges of trail, creating a bit of a duck-and-weave obstacle course for the cyclists trying to keep to their side of the pathway. It kept us on our toes for those very busy couple of miles we were on the rail trail. At one point we stopped and helped a rather indecisive box turtle get off the paved trail and into the surrounding shrubbery, and at another point we stopped to allow a black rat snake to slither at commuter speed off the trail and disappear into the rushes of a wetlands creek on the far side.

When we hopped off the trail to loop further north, the public highways and roads moved in close to share the breathing space of the numerous interconnected bike paths crisscrossing eastern Loudoun. We encountered far more group bike rides along the way, including the Reston Bike Club ride which passed us as a tight peloton flying down the road, all bright colors and swift road bikes. We kept to the path, only deviating onto the roads when the path came to an abrupt end at random developments that had somehow escaped the county's notice that had required sidewalks for a continuation of the walking/cycling paths. We passed by beautifully landscaped and pristine housing developments, open air shopping centers, acres of recreational facilities (including a bubble dome of immense proportions that housed a football (American style) club facility I was told), and lots of not-so-busy gas stations showing gas prices far in excess of their western constituents. Come to think of it, traffic seemed fairly light considering it was late Saturday morning. Perhaps the unstoppable rise of gas prices is making some people think question the wisdom of frivolous trips. As far as the rest go, I'm guessing they are either immune to the outrageous hikes in fuel costs, or on an expense account that doesn't impact their personal pockets.

I had little to no time to take pictures as my group kept up a decent speed for the entire ride, and I was too busy looking around at the progress of humanity in terraforming the native landscape into a suburban dreamscape. Everything was super neat and tidy and reeked of newness and money. The newly paved pathways were smooth as silk making the riding just heaven from start to finish. It was scenic, entertaining, and fun with an engaging group of cyclists. 10/10 would do this ride again.

The route as seen by satellite:
Screenshot_20220605_041723.jpg

Once back home we unloaded the bike and took off in the electric car again, this time heading westward another 20 miles to a bike shop that sold Gazelle bikes. Found the Class 3 carbon belt drive model I wanted, fell in love with it, but they didn't have my size. They will be calling their bike rep on Monday to see if they could get the size that fits me. Continuing supply chain issues will determine if it will take a week ...or a year.... to get one.

Last edited:
The Four Hills of Banff ⛰️

We've been wanting to do this ride for a while now and we’re glad that we did it before the onslaught of the summer holiday traffic. The weather was ideal contrary to what the most recent forecasts were telling us. It’s still a bit early in the season to say what Mother Nature has up her sleeve particularly when it comes to the unpredictable conditions in this mountain resort town.

We would start off the outing at Cascade Ponds just outside of the entrance to the townsite of Banff. There’s plenty of parking here and safe access to the Banff townsite is possible thanks to a section of the paved Legacy Trail that runs beneath the main highway.

The first climb up towards Lake Minnewanka wasn’t too difficult and we managed quite well for the most part of the ride without assistance from the motors. We decided only to use PAS on the steepest of the climbs including the switchbacks up to Mt. Norquay. I recommend doing the 13 km Minnewanka loop counter clockwise as it affords the best views off to one’s right for photo opps. Brief stops along the way included picturesque Johnston Lake and Two Jack Lake. If it wasn’t for it’s smaller size, Johnston would make an excellent spot to kayak. It is a popular area for paddle boarders though.

View of Two Jack Lake from a point above. There is also a nice campground near the lake that was partially occupied at the time by a tour group of bike campers.

View attachment 125236

Lake Minne is a perfect place to stop along the road and admire the view. Wind wasn’t an issue on this day but it’s known to get very gusty here on the open water.

We would loop back along Minne’s scenic road towards Banff avoiding the heavily trafficked TC Hwy and opted instead to ride the safer route into town along Banff’s main street. We would eventually make our way to Mt Norquay Road for the second climb of the outing, a 302 meter elevation gain over 5.5 km.

This is one of the Texas gate rails we encountered before entering the road up to Norquay. It required us to dismount from our bikes and carefully tip toe to the other side all while trying to avoid slipping through the wide gaps. A MTB would likely have no problem traversing these grates but not so with narrower gravel/road tires.

There was a decent amount of climbing as we made our way up the six switchbacks towards the summit to Norquay. Fast descents are always fun but the proximity between the turns prevented any exhilarating high speed thrills. With the Norquay ski resort now closed, traffic was relatively light with the exception of a few vehicles making their way up to the lookout or the summit.

A nice view of the Banff Townsite as seen from final switchback before the summit.

As we made our way back along Tunnel Mtn Road we spotted two of BNP’s finest working on the relocation of signage. Sections of this road are familiar having cycled the nearby Tunnel Mtn Bench Trail this spring with @RandallS and my BIL on our mtbs. Our ride ended where it started back at Cascade Ponds. 👍

A video tribute to the Four Hills of Banff.

Bravo. THANKS for sharing. Gorgeous, glorious. I've got to get back up there.

I did not have popcorn for the show besides it was breakfast time. So this is how I enjoyed your video:

PXL_20220605_145355869s.jpg

Yes, they were moving right along, and it was a younger couple with a small child in the middle, but I passed them in a couple of miles. I can say I kicked in the “turbo” when I passed them.

Bravo. THANKS for sharing. Gorgeous, glorious. I've got to get back up there.

I did not have popcorn for the show besides it was breakfast time. So this is how I enjoyed your video:

View attachment 125279
We’re not that far away from WA. An overnight stay somewhere in the BC interior along the way would make for a nice midweek trip. The mountains await your return. 👍

Glad to know that you enjoyed breakfast at the movies. Cereal/oatmeal is great for daily nourishment and no longer is just a morning time staple for me. Love mine sprinkled with toasted oats, all bran buds, flaked coconut and bananas on top, sometimes with a dash of maple syrup.

Next up will be the Highwood Pass as long as there’s no snow up at the top. The road is closed to traffic until June 14 so there will likely be plenty of roadies as the opening date approaches.

We’re not that far away from WA. An overnight stay somewhere in the BC interior along the way would make for a nice midweek trip. The mountains await your return. 👍

Glad to know that you enjoyed breakfast at the movies. Cereal/oatmeal is great for daily nourishment and no longer is just a morning time staple for me. Love mine sprinkled with toasted oats, all bran buds, flaked coconut and bananas on top, sometimes with a dash of maple syrup.

Next up will be the Highwood Pass as long as there’s no snow up at the top. The road is closed to traffic until June 14 so there will likely be plenty of roadies as the opening date approaches.

Yesterday, the oatmeal was topped by sliced bananas. If you don't mind my asking, where do you stay since you mentioned the price at the Banff PALACE. We've stayed at the hostels at Lake Louise and in Jasper but it has been a while. I'm not sure that car camping would be easy on the body but I might try it. Problem with camping is bike security.

Thank you all for your very kind words, my dad was one of a kind and will be greatly missed.

1654450861505.png

@Prairie Dog What a stunning part of the world you live in, the scenery is just breathtaking! I need to watch your video later when I'm less tired, I'm sure it will take my breath away!

Another day at the races, this time it was the cars! It was another blustery day but lovely sunshine was present for most of the day so that sure kept the temp up a bit! No 100 miler today as I spent over 4 hours watching the racing, my journey home was very different from my journey to the circuit this morning! I had a 20mph headwind to contend with almost all the way to the circuit, just over 37 miles of it! With that wind now behind me it felt so much warmer and the descent virtually all the way to the 60 mile mark was so welcome, this left me with lots of battery power for the final 16 mile climb so I made the most of level 3 assist! :D

This photo sums up the weather right from the start!

1654451412313.png

The Ochil Hills were looking stunning in the morning sunshine!

1654451517448.png

I didn't actually use this road today but it looks like one to explore on another day!

1654451617870.png

The fastest car of the day, a highly modified Westfield V8 with 850 horses which was lapping at 45.9 seconds today and he still has another 250hp available! :eek:

1654452152215.png

A bit more sedate but just as much fun, Caterhams!

1654452317584.png

A lot less horsepower available here but still so much fun!

1654452444029.png

Getting close to home now, I'm so blessed to have views like this so close to home!

1654452968006.png

1654453047926.png

I know for certain my dad wouldn't want me sitting at home sulking so in honour of his memory I will try my best to enjoy life and get out as much as I can! Days like this sure clear your head of bad thoughts and make you realise how wonderful life can be!

Attachments

• 20220605_092401.jpg
    20220605_092401.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20220605_093511.jpg
    20220605_093511.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220605_144400.jpg
    20220605_144400.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20220605_144416.jpg
    20220605_144416.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 20220605_145743.jpg
    20220605_145743.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220605_164919.jpg
    20220605_164919.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 120
  • 20220605_164923.jpg
    20220605_164923.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 20220605_164926.jpg
    20220605_164926.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220605_164939.jpg
    20220605_164939.jpg
    679.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 20220605_164958.jpg
    20220605_164958.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 123
  • elevation_profile81.jpg
    elevation_profile81.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 109
  • trip-92343608-map-full81.png
    trip-92343608-map-full81.png
    470.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Yesterday, the oatmeal was topped by sliced bananas. If you don't mind my asking, where do you stay since you mentioned the price at the Banff PALACE. We've stayed at the hostels at Lake Louise and in Jasper but it has been a while. I'm not sure that car camping would be easy on the body but I might try it. Problem with camping is bike security.
I search online for cheaper hotel rates usually in nearby towns such as Cochrane which is only about an hour drive to Banff. Banff/Canmore can be dearly expensive to stay when it comes to booking room accomodations particularly during peak season. Most locations have secure rooms to store bikes or allow one to bring your ride into the rooms. If possible, we’ll just drive to the location and return home the same day if it’s within decent range such as the Bow Valley Parkway or in Clear Water Country.

It truly is, but it also involved a 500km round-trip drive to get that alpine fix. Well worth it though, IMO. :)

Whereas you can easily obtain instant gratification by riding out of your front yard. 👍
Oh, phooie. 1,000 km (600 miles) one way!!! We use to drive all the way to Lake Louise in one very long day. Weather, since it was ski season, could make it real fun!!!

Oh, phooie. 1,000 km (600 miles) one way!!! We use to drive all the way to Lake Louise in one very long day. Weather, since it was ski season, could make it real fun!!!
Likewise. We used to drive to our second home in Victoria (1100 km) in a day for ocean kayak trips and even made it to the Tswawassen terminal in time for the 4 pm sailing. We became tired of doing that and decided that it was safer to overnight along the way in Kamloops.

Old and New

It was too nice a morning to want to spend time on any of the farm's endless projects, so while hubby climbed on the big farm tractor to mow the front field, I climbed on my bike for a quick tour down the paved road. Destination was a big development 8 miles away, simply to see the finished residences and take stock of the newest houses being built.

Being Sunday the paved road was quieter than on a weekday, allowing me to cruise at speed in the center of my lane for the most part enjoying the turbo part of my Vado's name.
20220605_103012_copy_600x800.jpg

By the time I reached the development I was ready to throttle down and just pedal at a slow recreational speed, enjoying the welcoming smiles and friendly waves hello of the residents, many of whom were out on their own bikes, multiple kids on colorful kiddie bikes in a procession either before or aft the slow cruisers of the parents. It was pretty obvious that the "pandemic purchases" of bikes were still being put to good use, especially on the clean, gentle, and safe development roads. There were parents on bikes with kiddie trailers attached, one or two parents on foot following close behind their tiny charges on tiny kiddie bikes or trikes, and two residents at two different houses both in the process of suiting up in motorcycling gear while their powerful machines stood quietly alongside waiting for the moment when they would rumble with a muted roar down the driveways and onto the main road where the engines would open to a deafening roar that the entire countryside would hear.

In the newest section of the development the noise took on the sounds of multiple hammers of the roofing crews production line of men on multiple houses in a row, all nailing on shingles, while closer to the ground carpenters guided their powerful electric saws into producing perfectly fitted cuts of wood for the unfinished house interiors. It seemed like Sunday was just like any other day of the week. Busy.

It was noisy in the new building section, but the peace and quiet returned in the older finished section with only a minor interruption here and there of a resident powerwashing her outdoor furniture, some kids playing ball with the excited family dog, and one youngster having a tantrum meltdown on the side of the road because he didn't want to ride his bike anymore. The poor dad, whose bike was already commandeered by a kiddie trailer with two youngsters peeking out the front screen at the sight of their elder brother in a 5 year old's consumptive rage, and thus unable to do anything except try to console and gently encourage his screaming tearful son (whose name was Peter) to get back on his bike and continue the ride, preferably back home where mom was probably happily relaxing in the peace and quiet thanks to the kids being off with good old dad for a "fun bike ride".

Life in the suburbs.

On the way back home I pulled up into an old driveway leading to an abandoned 1820s house.
20220605_102136_copy_2783x2896_copy_600x624.jpg

20220605_102512_copy_4000x1883_copy_800x377.jpg

I had watched over the years as the house, once lived in by the farmer who owned extensive land on both sides of the road for his dairy, had been sold to an owner who lived elsewhere, leaving the house and barn to slowly wither away under the onslaught of a relentless army of vines and undergrowth. There was evidence that the old lawns had been mowed at least once recently, but beyond that the property had been left to fend for itself.

Peeking in the old house's windows revealed nothing but an empty interior carpeted with old but clean wall-to-wall in a boring beige palette, and one very old wall sconce still attached by an equally old electric cord to a nearby outlet of a vintage that hasn't been in fashion since the 1940s. I stepped back and studied the beautiful structure of the 200 year old building, the elegant facade tragically marred by a conglamoration of poorly designed and badly mismatched additions built over the centuries in the guise of multiple enclosed porches and auxiliary rooms to expand the square footage. The old chimneys were still standing strong, but the house itself was on life support in desperate need of some tender loving care before it would be too far gone to save. A small occupied chicken coop and fenced chicken yard around to the side of the house, plus a freshly mowed piece of the yard, promised that someone somewhere was at least keeping a daily watchful eye on the old place.

The old fields that once held dairy and later beef cattle were now owned and cultivated as a sustainable volunteer based non profit food bank. Where herds of cattle once grazed, now acres of vegetables grew in carefully choreographed lines. Tomatoes seemed to be the overwhelming favorite. I was too far away to see what other delectables were planted.
20220605_101612_copy_600x800.jpg

20220605_101700_copy_2687x917_copy_800x273.jpg

By now I'd already spent most of my two hour's planned ride, and knew that hubby would soon be finished mowing the front field. Time to get a move on and get back home before the grass I needed to mow got any higher. Plus the corn was already sprouting and I needed to get the fencing up before the deer discovered the newest addition to the gardens and decided to add the tender sprouts to their dinner menu. So much to do before morning eased into afternoon, and yet still 8 miles left between me and my chores.

There is a good reason for the Turbo button on an ebike!

Screenshot_20220606_035048.jpg

Last edited:
Back