Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

A quick stopover at Gap Lake along Hwy 1A on our way to the town of Canmore, AB. The forecast has been downgraded to possible showers tomorrow which might shorten or pre-empt our ride around Banff. Fingers crossed. 🤞

View attachment 125005

View attachment 125006

First, I hope your weather cooperates.

Second, why post those boring pictures of Gap Lake with the humdrum background!!!! ;)
😃

As it was the start of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Celebrations and Mrs DG had a surprise day off, we decided to go out cycling for the day.

We ended up at the Millennium Park which is in the Martston Forest near Bedford.

We’ve been here many times before as it’s not too far from us with good parking. It is some old clay pits that were used for making bricks.

The area has been re-instated as environmental centre in the forest. There’s walks, cycle paths, nature trails, bird watching and water sports, so a bit for everybody.

The route is not long, being about 4.3 miles, so we do it a number of times, this time we did it four times. Plus a couple of picnic stops along the way.
E9CE8787-19F4-46EF-939C-34354C026692.jpeg

34335EC8-8482-4F95-BEFD-B9F85E2D4532.jpeg
6121F0FD-3BE5-4205-A8D9-3FF3E8023B72.jpeg

It was also another opportunity to do a shake down of Mrs DGs new bike, pleasing to report that no further adjustments were necessary.

The weather was very kind to us with temperatures being around 17oC and sunny with no wind, so very pleasant.
2C27EFCD-50D1-445E-A1F5-209103073F23.jpeg

This ride is dedicated to my dear old dad who passed away peacefully on May 30th 2022...

1654260117586.png

After losing my dear old dad at the start of the week I really needed a ride to clear my head, it was another windy day and today it was from the east! I was actually fully expecting to get wet today but my luck was in and the misty conditions evaporated eventually and it brightened up a little!

The first 22 miles were into a 25-30mph headwind, was I glad when I turned to have that wind behind me? You bet I was and what a return ride it was, I decided to check out some new roads and I wasn't disappointed!

I have passed this road many times and today I decided it was time to check it out, what a shock I got when I turned the corner to see this! Of course the camera doesn't do it justice, it was just over 20% despite Ridewithgps saying my max grade was 15.7%...

1654260505515.png

This is my kind of road, at the top I joined the road I have cycled many times so I knew what was in store and today I had that wind behind me, its a huge downhill where I have reached 40 mph+ many times! Well today I was unlucky as I was closing in on 45mph some cars ahead had me on the brakes, I'm sure I could have hit 50mph today...another day maybe!

This is the hill from the opposite direction!

1654260901369.png

There are some nice views around this area, its not just the roads that are awesome!

1654261029554.png

The hill I descended at 44.3mph can be seen in the distance here, it doesn't look that steep huh? ;)

1654261234813.png

I was now back on familiar roads but once again I decided to try a new road and this turned out to be spectacular with big ups and downs and twists and turns, it eventually led me to Beecraigs Country Park which I know really well!

1654261731877.png

I was now heading for another twisty road I know very well, this one is also very steep and a lot of fun to ride!

The cork screw which always reminds me of Laguna Seca, except for the weather!🤣

1654262090868.png

1654262144948.png

It was very surreal today, for the first time in years I had no time constraints as dad wasn't awaiting my return! It will take some getting used to but I know he is in a better place now! What a fantastic ride I had despite the windy conditions, the roads were just sublime!:D

My Ridewithgps recap for the month of May, not many rides but my best month of the year so far mileage wise!

May recap.jpg

Attachments

• elevation_profile80.jpg
    elevation_profile80.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 120
  • trip-92071645-map-full80.png
    trip-92071645-map-full80.png
    472.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 20220603_094241.jpg
    20220603_094241.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220603_094243.jpg
    20220603_094243.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 20220603_094301.jpg
    20220603_094301.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 20220603_094447.jpg
    20220603_094447.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220603_102125.jpg
    20220603_102125.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 20220603_102129.jpg
    20220603_102129.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 20220603_102142.jpg
    20220603_102142.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220603_102220.jpg
    20220603_102220.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 20220603_102657.jpg
    20220603_102657.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 20220603_103223.jpg
    20220603_103223.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220603_103241.jpg
    20220603_103241.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 20220603_103307.jpg
    20220603_103307.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 20220603_104129.jpg
    20220603_104129.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 122
This ride is dedicated to my dear old dad who passed away peacefully on May 30th 2022...

View attachment 125095

After losing my dear old dad at the start of the week I really needed a ride to clear my head, it was another windy day and today it was from the east! I was actually fully expecting to get wet today but my luck was in and the misty conditions evaporated eventually and it brightened up a little!

The first 22 miles were into a 25-30mph headwind, was I glad when I turned to have that wind behind me? You bet I was and what a return ride it was, I decided to check out some new roads and I wasn't disappointed!

I have passed this road many times and today I decided it was time to check it out, what a shock I got when I turned the corner to see this! Of course the camera doesn't do it justice, it was just over 20% despite Ridewithgps saying my max grade was 15.7%...

View attachment 125097

This is my kind of road, at the top I joined the road I have cycled many times so I knew what was in store and today I had that wind behind me, its a huge downhill where I have reached 40 mph+ many times! Well today I was unlucky as I was closing in on 45mph some cars ahead had me on the brakes, I'm sure I could have hit 50mph today...another day maybe!

View attachment 125098

There are some nice views around this area, its not just the roads that are awesome!

View attachment 125099

The hill I descended at 44.3mph can be seen in the distance here, it doesn't look that steep huh? ;)

View attachment 125100

I was now back on familiar roads but once again I decided to try a new road and this turned out to be spectacular with big ups and downs and twists and turns, it eventually led me to Beecraigs Country Park which I know really well!

View attachment 125101

I was now heading for another twisty road I know very well, this one is also very steep and a lot of fun to ride!

View attachment 125103
View attachment 125104

It was very surreal today, for the first time in years I had no time constraints as dad wasn't awaiting my return! It will take some getting used to but I know he is in a better place now! What a fantastic ride I had despite the windy conditions, the roads were just sublime!:D

My Ridewithgps recap for the month of May, not many rides but my best month of the year so far mileage wise!

View attachment 125120
So sorry to hear about your father passing away. 💔 Big hugs and deepest sympathy from your ebike friend here in Virginia USA.

View attachment 125095

View attachment 125097

View attachment 125098

View attachment 125099

View attachment 125100

View attachment 125101

View attachment 125103
View attachment 125104

View attachment 125120

My condolences on the passing of your dad. May he rest in peace with a view similar to what you've posted.

a short ride 19 miles dow not the river then through town. last year we went down to the river and it was 114 degrees the 6 mile ride about did us in.
this bridge sees a lot of traffic no cars only busses and trains and peds one dragon boat. some small wind turbines going. wonder how much juice they produce? Crap I see the counter that shows how many cyclists crossed does nto show. yesterday 667 cyclists coursed and over 60,000 this year.
IMG_0123.jpeg
IMG_0124.jpeg
IMG_0125.jpeg
IMG_0126.jpeg
IMG_0128.jpeg
IMG_0129.jpeg
IMG_0131.jpeg
IMG_0132.jpeg
IMG_0133.jpeg

I did manage to grab last Saturday for myself to join in the 20/26/34 mile group ebike ride. 11 members, a perfect day, and a very memorable, fun ride that was incredibly challenging (difficult) on the paved assent up to the summit of the Catoctin Mountains in Maryland, and then on the rough washed out interior gravel roads running along the crest in an endless gorgeous woodland with full rushing streams on both sides. I was planning on doing the 26 because I haven't been riding much at all due to other more pressing and time sensitive commitments. But when the assent sucked my battery down to just 52% for the first 7 miles - it sucked at least half the life of the batteries of everyone - several of us were going for the 26 opted to switch over to the 20.
View attachment 124867

Been MTBing the shed for probably two decades now. The roads and gravel around there are insane; Coxey Brown from Harmony Rd up to Gambrill Park Rd is an infamous road climb, but all the gravel in the shed is pretty tough. Never done it on the gravel bike, but have ridden most of it on mountainbikes over the years connecting trails.

You think the gravel is bad, you should try some of the singletrack that weaves around between those gravel roads, of which there is dozens of miles all over the shed and Gambrill. Theres a bunch of trails between Fishing Creek and Mountaindale that is popular with the DH shuttle crew; some of those trails are difficult to even walk down.

My deepest condolences to you and your family RabH. You were truly a divine soul to be with him during his final years. Glad to know that you were able to get out for a ride as I'm certain that he would have wanted you to.

View attachment 125095

View attachment 125097

View attachment 125098

View attachment 125099

View attachment 125100

View attachment 125101

View attachment 125103
View attachment 125104

View attachment 125120
Sorry to hear that Rab, I posted without my glasses and didn't see the post.

View attachment 125095

View attachment 125097

View attachment 125098

View attachment 125099

View attachment 125100

View attachment 125101

View attachment 125103
View attachment 125104

View attachment 125120
Sorry for your loss mate.

My ride today was a very quick 17 miles on paved road. I'm down one ebike at the moment so am riding the "Pavement Princess" (Turbo Vado) which means extremely limited gravel road riding until I get the carbon belt LaFree back from the shop. The LaFree went in for repairs the other day when i suspected my brake pads and the back tire needed replacing. Both did, but it also needs the brake lines bled, and possibly new rotors from braking with zero pads left. I was seriously abusing my poor bike without knowing it. I was told it would be about the 16th to get it through the busy repair schedule and back into my hands

Now I have a gravel road ride coming up on the 13th, and only my Vado to use. (Insert frowning face here)

After this morning's 20 mile bike shop group ride, I will be heading west over the mountains to another bike shop that carries the Gazelle brand carbon belt drive bikes. They have a Class 1 20mph assist, but I need the 28mph Class 3. Fingers crossed that, if I like the bike, they can get me a Class 3 before the gravel road ride.

What tyres are there on your Vado, Flora? Use them at the minimum allowable pressure and you will be fine on gravel!

Thanks, Stefan, but my reason for not wanting to ride the Vado on gravel isn't the tires. It's the chain. Gravel roads are harsh on chain drives, and if there's one I hate having to clean on a bike...it's the chain. Petty, I know, but what can I say? I'm spoiled having a belt drive bike for gravel because the belt requires zero care even in the harshest environment.

If I like the Class 1 Gazelle I'm tempted to just rent it to use on my gravel roads until they can get me a Class 3.

Been MTBing the shed for probably two decades now. The roads and gravel around there are insane; Coxey Brown from Harmony Rd up to Gambrill Park Rd is an infamous road climb, but all the gravel in the shed is pretty tough. Never done it on the gravel bike, but have ridden most of it on mountainbikes over the years connecting trails.

It was white knuckle riding. Not gonna lie, my heart was in my throat for a couple of descents over that rocky washed out insanity called a road. I had a rear tire sidewall ripped open once by a sharp rock on an unassuming road, and this road was anything but unassuming. It had death written all over it. (Not really but you get the picture.) I was having flashbacks to that blowout so I had my bike at a barely above a crawl. At the same time one of my friends was having the time of her life, pretty much freewheeling down the Road of Fear in her Vado. (She had been quite disappointed that I hadn't brought my Vado - same color same year - for us to be "twins" again on the ride. But all the prior rides had been on pavement). All I could think was she was lucky to have zero clue. And those commuter tires of steel.

We did meet with a few mountain bikers on bona fide mountain bikes, the riders drenched in sweat and breathing hard coming up the steep road. I admired their fortitude because honestly they looked like they knew just what they were getting into. And they were riding the right kind of bikes.

As for me? Well, I was never so happy to see a paved road in my life when the so-called gravel road ended.

View attachment 125095

View attachment 125097

View attachment 125098

View attachment 125099

View attachment 125100

View attachment 125101

View attachment 125103
View attachment 125104

View attachment 125120
Condolences for the loss of your Dad, Rab. Wishing you much comfort in your rides in the beautiful countryside - nature has an incredible capacity to restore the soul ❤️.

Back