Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

I meant to leave in the morning, and technically did, 11:55am. This humidity and heat of 90f is a taste of what's coming. Mad dogs and Englishmen thought the cattle in the shade though I wasn't barking. Such a pleasure to start back up after taking a picture, the wind of turbo just perfect.
IMG_0882.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0886.JPG
    IMG_0886.JPG
    736.5 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    589.4 KB · Views: 161
went on a group tandem ride. it has been at least a year since we rode with the group. them mostly ride on Mondays and of course I work. went on a few roads I have not been on and It was not a long ride 28 miles total including riding to the start. the highlight was the dead skink in the middle of the road man it stunk.
couldn't to stop and take pics I really wanted to post the skunk. was nto sure if it would rain like it has all weekend so bring all the rain gear in one bag and snacks I the other. didn't to need the rain gear of course.
IMG-2225.jpg

went on a group tandem ride. it has been at least a year since we rode with the group. them mostly ride on Mondays and of course I work. went on a few roads I have not been on and It was not a long ride 28 miles total including riding to the start. the highlight was the dead skink in the middle of the road man it stunk.
couldn't to stop and take pics I really wanted to post the skunk. was nto sure if it would rain like it has all weekend so bring all the rain gear in one bag and snacks I the other. didn't to need the rain gear of course.
View attachment 124819
"Come on, stink!"

Last edited:
Short ride on a hot (90°!) day to run a few errands and make sure the battery is down to about 60% before putting the Flow away until the fall 😢. Heading back to WA and the La Free tomorrow.

I'm going to miss my Flow - I think I might actually prefer it to the La Free 😲! Maybe I'll feel different after a few rides around the fair isle of Whidbey???

PXL_20220531_143335886.jpg

Delayed too long this morning for a ride. Had to take a truck full of demo'ed 36 year old insect riddled and age cracked barn boards (off our carriage house) to the landfill early this morning just as the facility opened. The line to the scales was 13 vehicles long. It was 31 vehicles long by the time we had offloaded all the old boards, paid and left. Stopped to get some diesel for the truck and put 8 gallons in the tank. $50 worth. I gritted my teeth and bore it, thankful for the truck when it was really needed, and for our electric car for everything else. Got home and hubby wanted to rip down some of the new 10'x12" barn boards into 3 1/2" wide battens for the new siding. A 2 person job with the table saw. Meanwhile the heat and humidity outside was mounting by the second. Then he wanted to put up some corner pieces while the side of the carriage house was still in shade. Again, a 2 person job.

By the time we finished the thermometer was touching 90°f (32°c). The humidity was off the charts awful. And we were both whipped.

So...no bike ride. Again.

Maybe tonight I'll attempt a ride ... if the temps stop climbing. It is 92°f now. Same forecast for tomorrow. Then rain (again)

But here is a gratuitous photo of the newly renovated 21'x27' carriage house we've been working on since early May (and the 2nd reason why I haven't been riding my bikes as much - the 1st reason being all the excessive rain day after day after day and then on the sunny days we were mowing the farm fields etc every other day it seemed AND getting work done on the carriage house): the old exterior being demo'ed (a sledge hammer was needed to get the old boards off), old window replaced by a door, new barn board going up, and now waiting for the trim and the battens (once we rip them down) to be nailed on. Have to wait for the heat to break first. Working outside sawing, fitting, nailing, and hammering is brutal right now. Upper garden was left fallow due to the exterior work space needed.

My bikes will move from the garage to the carriage house once it's finished - and will be parked alongside our 5 antique horse drawn carriages (temporarily stored in the barn) that will have half the building. The other half will be a brand new workshop for hubby with plenty of floor space.
20220508_103453_copy_600x800.jpg

20220524_111446_copy_600x800.jpg

20220527_173338_copy_600x800.jpg

I did manage to grab last Saturday for myself to join in the 20/26/34 mile group ebike ride. 11 members, a perfect day, and a very memorable, fun ride that was incredibly challenging (difficult) on the paved assent up to the summit of the Catoctin Mountains in Maryland, and then on the rough washed out interior gravel roads running along the crest in an endless gorgeous woodland with full rushing streams on both sides. I was planning on doing the 26 because I haven't been riding much at all due to other more pressing and time sensitive commitments. But when the assent sucked my battery down to just 52% for the first 7 miles - it sucked at least half the life of the batteries of everyone - several of us were going for the 26 opted to switch over to the 20.
20220528_104229_copy_600x800.jpg

20220528_105126_copy_600x800.jpg

20220528_114247_copy_600x800.jpg

20220528_113750_copy_600x800.jpg

More photos (taken by others) from the ride:
600_504412087.jpeg

600_504412928.jpeg

600_504412916.jpeg

600_504408083.jpeg

600_504012945.jpeg

600_504012942.jpeg

Attachments

• 600_504412086.jpeg
    600_504412086.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Short ride on a hot (90°!) day to run a few errands and make sure the battery is down to about 60% before putting the Flow away until the fall 😢. Heading back to WA and the La Free tomorrow.

I'm going to miss my Flow - I think I might actually prefer it to the La Free 😲! Maybe I'll feel different after a few rides around the fair isle of Whidbey???

View attachment 124863
Welcome to this home. We are just skirting 90F at a whooping 60F :eek:. I had to zip up my wind shirt on yesterday's 21 mile ride across 520 to Medina and Hunts Point.

But it was finally time for something else...

PXL_20220531_174454628-.jpg

PXL_20220531_174040528-.jpg

PXL_20220531_170420693c.jpg

A hike (and am I out of shape unless you count ROUND as being in shape) to Rattlesnake Ledge and a view of Mt Si and a view east toward the Cascades.

My friend who took his first ride on an ebike last week was back for more punishment...which he promptly delivered to me now that he got the hang of the shifting...mechanical and electronic. Today on our 20 miles he was no longer a follower instead pushing me a bit faster than my desire. After hearing me tell of the other friend last week's 36mph he tried on several hills to beat it but gave up on 33mph. I didn't have the breath to tell him not all hills are created equal. Funny how almost 50 years ago the two of them competed against each other in the Nationals (Olympic Lifting).
I will get a better picture of the giant fowl trailer soon...hopefully with someone outside to pose with a big one.
IMG_0892.JPG

Welcome to this home. We are just skirting 90F at a whooping 60F :eek:. I had to zip up my wind shirt on yesterday's 21 mile ride across 520 to Medina and Hunts Point.

But it was finally time for something else...

View attachment 124871

View attachment 124872

View attachment 124873

A hike (and am I out of shape unless you count ROUND as being in shape) to Rattlesnake Ledge and a view of Mt Si and a view east toward the Cascades.
Awesome views there @kahn. Now that is something else! 👍

Came to post a sulk, the wife booked a few days in the Peak district, I checked the weather..rain..so left the bike and gopro at home.

She was secretive about the accomodation, turns out we had the top floor of North Lees Hall, a 16th century building used by Charlotte Bronte as inspiration for Thornfield Hall in 'Jane Eyre'.

Screenshot_20220601-110356.png

And now its an Airnbnb guesthouse, how things have changed.
Screenshot_20220601-102715.png

Screenshot_20220601-103807.png

So we climb up the nearby Stangate edge, which looks completely walker territory, only for me to find its entirely a bridle path with bike access 😠
Screenshot_20220601-102149.png

So we had a fantastic walk along the stunning outcrop for miles, incredibly remote once we'd left the touristy bit, the entire time Im moaning how I could have ridden the path, until I started getting a bit annoying and shut up.

Screenshot_20220601-102541.png

The Peak District is kind of the second cousin to the Lakes in England and gladly doesnt get the publicity it deserves.

Screenshot_20220601-102418.png

I'll be back with the bike and my drone, see if I can crash both 😛
Screenshot_20220601-102320.png

It was a mile walk through utterly gorgeous countryside to the town...which was also a bike path!!!
In the dark walking back after much beer and food was a terrible uphill slog, I was hallucinating having the bike to whizz me up the trail.
This pic was taken in practically the pitch black while drunk, incredible that my bottom of the range, 100 quid phone has an auto night vision mode that gives results like this, I could barely see the house myself.
Even the sky was dark, it holds the shutter for 5 seconds, but stabilises for you...amazing for the price.
IMG_20220531_221042982.jpg

Im off to Lakes with the Tribe next week and the bike is going with me no matter what, I cant take this walking uphill malarkey.
Screenshot_20220601-102238.png

Came to post a sulk, the wife booked a few days in the Peak district, I checked the weather..rain..so left the bike and gopro at home.

She was secretive about the accomodation, turns out we had the top floor of North Lees Hall, a 16th century building used by Charlotte Bronte as inspiration for Thornfield Hall in 'Jane Eyre'.
Nice accommodation.

We did the opposite for our cycling Honeymoon in April this year, starting with a week in the Lakes followed by a week in the Peaks. But we stayed in Premier Inns.

Enjoy the Lakes and where will you be staying?

North Lees Hall, a 16th century building used by Charlotte Bronte as inspiration for Thornfield Hall in 'Jane Eyre'.
What I admire about the English people is they can make a museum out of anything :)

1654079574733.png

How can you make a museum of someone who has never existed? Yet, we love to believe in magic, and gladly pay the tickets.
In the Sherlock Holmes Museum, May 21st 2022, Baker Street 221b, London, England.

1654079609028.png

Dr. John Watson, Irene Adler, Sherlock Holmes.

1654080402309.png

Who of these three guys would win a street race you think? :) My bets are on the Asian! (See the proportion: two e-bikes and one trad bike). All wearing the helmet. And the traditional bike is of course a road bike.
Waterloo Bridge/Strand by Somerset House London, May 28th 2022.

1654080608689.png

One of the public share city e-bikes. Southwark, London (south of the Thames). May 20th 2022.

Here's a comment of a friend, John from Brixton: "Because of the street congestion, and basicaly short distances in the city, the bike is the fastest means of transportation in London".

Last edited:
yes, and hilariously we complete ignore or lose interest in actual epic figures of history.
The prime minister of England at the absolute height of Empire is buried in a tiny church with a small urn on it and doesnt even mention he was a politician.
One of Faradays plaques was removed for a bypass and they stuck it back on underneath the concrete monstrosity where no one can see it without jumping over a fence.

The prime minister of England at the absolute height of Empire is buried in a tiny church with a small urn on it and doesnt even mention he was a politician.
If we are talking about the same man, he at least got his name for a big city in Australia.
Or, do you mean Sir Robert Peel?
Lord John Russell?

Last edited:
I was determined to beat the heat this morning. Which meant rising with the sun around 5:45am. Walked the dogs first at 6am - I had one with recent surgery and he's still in his 2 weeks of confinement and only allowed short, leashed walks. By 6:45 we were back in the house, dogs had their treats and had snuggled back in their beds for an early morning snooze, and I was writing a note on the back of an envelope to let my still sleeping husband know that I was heading out for a bike ride around the block and would be back by 7:30 a.m.

I couldn't have picked a better time. Despite the forecast for another 90+°(f) scorcher, the morning air was as cool and crisp as an autumn day. I took the gravel road loop for the peace and quiet since my ride was technically right at the start of rush hour and the paved road would have seen more fast moving cars and trucks than I'd like. The morning traffic rarely uses the gravel roads, so any cars I encountered were few and far between. Plus the back roads scenery is serenely beautiful.
20220601_070434_copy_800x600.jpg

20220601_070416_copy_800x600.jpg

The county roads department had apparently had my 8 mile loop on its calendar for grading because every mile of road surface was freshly scuffed up and turned over, presenting a rough ride. Still, I was happy to take my time enjoying the solitude. Even overhead the skies were empty except for two faraway early morning flights, both westward bound.

20220601_072506_copy_800x600.jpg

My ride's only disadvantage was the strong rising sunlight was very harsh when it hit me sideways, and made it difficult to see the road. Not even my sunglasses helped. At times I felt like I was riding blind unless I shaded my face with my hand. The routes were mostly tree shaded, thankfully, but with the roads being so roughed up by the recent grading any moments of sun induced blindness made riding the gravel difficult. I decided any other morning rides needed to be earlier when the sun was less high in the sky and the shade was deeper.

The pesky flies, emboldened by the recent heat, were already up with the sun and bothersome to every equine enroute. However, the stable manager for this farm had the horses fully prepared from ears to tail for the onslaught, and his suited-up charges were thus grazing unmolested and undisturbed until I stopped to take a quick snapshot.
20220601_074211_copy_800x600_copy_747x424.jpg

20220601_074104_copy_600x800.jpg

A grouping of cat tails blooming in a roadside ditch.
20220601_074240_copy_600x800.jpg

I had just remounted from taking this shot when another cyclist, a local, came up behind me and said good morning. He was riding a mountain bike and as he passed me with a grin I could see he was already drenched in sweat. I caught up to him quickly and we talked as we rode along. He'd only given himself an hour for a quick ride but had to get home because he had a business flight to take this morning. I wished him a good flight as I left him behind on a hill. My driveway was just ahead and I pulled in a few minutes past 7:30am, with only a trace of sweat. The heat was starting to make itself known, but my early morning ride had escaped the heat and humidity trap completely.

Next time the temps are due to hit the 90s again I'll ride at 6:30am and see how that goes.

Attachments

• 20220601_074104_copy_600x800.jpg
    20220601_074104_copy_600x800.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Back