Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Very nice video, but note that you had no picnics…

Your roads look in better condition than ours.
So true and there were so many great spots to choose from wherever we stopped. For some reason, we seem to take our breaks at benches rather than tables. I admit that we generally travel as minimally as possible and also tend to snack light then ride on to the next destination. Perhaps we should put more thought into changing our approach when noshing al fresco especially in such scenic environs. Cascade Ponds, where we started and finished our ride, was likely one of the most accessible and beautiful locations for a picnic.

Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 09-28-13 IMG_20210531_1045110.jpg

Roads inside the federal park system are surprisingly decent considering the number of vehicles that pass through each season and the freeze and thaw conditions that they’re subjected to. That’s the polar opposite to the primary provincial hwy (QE 2) where numerous sections are in deplorable condition.

Likewise. We used to drive to our second home in Victoria (1100 km) in a day for ocean kayak trips and even made it to the Tswawassen terminal in time for the 4 pm sailing. We became tired of doing that and decided that it was safer to overnight along the way in Kamloops.
We typically still do the Victoria drive in one day - we take our chances on the ferry and have a backup plan if we can't get on.
Mind you - we never do that on a weekend , long or otherwise.

The MIL lives in Sidney, so we don't have a long drive once we get to the island.
When I take my bike, I do a big loop around the airport and South along the ocean (east side of the peninsula) - but stay the heck off of Lands End Road on the west side - cyclists must be crazy to ride on that road!

Prairie Dog that looks just like the terrain in Western Illinois, except we don’t have snow capped mountains, or pine trees, or lakes that look like that, and it’s a lot flatter.:rolleyes:
I believe there was incredible topographic relief along Ridge Ave in Chicago. And the trek up to the EL stations is considerable.

Prairie Dog that looks just like the terrain in Western Illinois, except we don’t have snow capped mountains, or pine trees, or lakes that look like that, and it’s a lot flatter.:rolleyes:
Or bears I presume. We were planning on cycling up to the Highwood Pass in K-Country this week but after a call to the Kananaskis Improvement District dispatch line, the road is apparently closed to cyclists due to a bear advisory at the south gate. Apparently, it bluff charged a cyclist. No word yet on when it will be open. We’ll likely wait until after the 15th when the road is again open to vehicles. At least any remaining signs of snow will be gone by then.

Speaking of bears, this rare white male grizzly was spotted last month near the TC Hwy.

Roads inside the federal park system are surprisingly decent considering the number of vehicles that pass through each season and the freeze and thaw conditions that they’re subjected to. That’s the polar opposite to the primary provincial hwy (QE 2) where numerous sections are in deplorable condition.
Our cycling is very leisurely these days and we may be out all day and only do 20-30 miles.

We travel to lots of new areas, then ride round there, stopping to look at the views and to take photos. Generally relaxed and enjoying the scenery. As Mrs DG has only been in the UK coming up for four years, all the areas we’re going to are new for her, so she’s taking it all in.

Mind you, we always do find time for a picnic and this is the view from yesterday when we stopped.
F8F2CF62-8F40-482E-B901-01E91263C8B0.jpeg

A lot of the roads in the UK are in a deplorable state. With many potholes, (sorry, craters), cracks, failed edges.

Well, you can call it, but it won't come...😉 That is definitely a grizzly. The shape of the head, the ears - - very different from a polar bear. Not to mention its neighborhood.
While on the bear theme while biking near my daughter's ranch I noticed (from a distance) a grizzly so son-in-law put up a game camera by a favorite bear scratching tree and we caught this pic later in the day from it - probably the guy I saw as they are fairly territorial and not happy to see another grizzly wander in their area - don't mind the black bears but the grizzlies can be so unpredicatable
20220530_150850~2.jpg

Our cycling is very leisurely these days and we may be out all day and only do 20-30 miles.

We travel to lots of new areas, then ride round there, stopping to look at the views and to take photos. Generally relaxed and enjoying the scenery. As Mrs DG has only been in the UK coming up for four years, all the areas we’re going to are new for her, so she’s taking it all in.

Mind you, we always do find time for a picnic and this is the view from yesterday when we stopped.
View attachment 125446

A lot of the roads in the UK are in a deplorable state. With many potholes, (sorry, craters), cracks, failed edges.
It’s nice to ride among mountain settings but breathing in that invigorating sea air is truly the best! That shot of the missus says it all, Diggy.

While on the bear theme while biking near my daughter's ranch I noticed (from a distance) a grizzly so son-in-law put up a game camera by a favorite bear scratching tree and we caught this pic later in the day from it - probably the guy I saw as they are fairly territorial and not happy to see another grizzly wander in their area - don't mind the black bears but the grizzlies can be so unpredicatableView attachment 125449

That was the thing when we did our 6 and 3 day backpacks up near Jasper. As well as on day hikes. THEY could be out there lurking in the shrubs as you came around a bend. Whistling, singing, bells tinkling. Bear spray at the ready. It was somewhat of an unnerving experience. "Did we clean camp and not wipe our hands on our clothes before bed?" Worst for me as I tend to do an early morning "constitutional" using a headlamp. One early morning I heard branches crackling and I totally freaked. Pulled the safety pin on the spray and crashed through the vegetation trying to get back to the tent! Now I can laugh.

That was the thing when we did our 6 and 3 day backpacks up near Jasper. As well as on day hikes. THEY could be out there lurking in the shrubs as you came around a bend. Whistling, singing, bells tinkling. Bear spray at the ready. It was somewhat of an unnerving experience. "Did we clean camp and not wipe our hands on our clothes before bed?" Worst for me as I tend to do an early morning "constitutional" using a headlamp. One early morning I heard branches crackling and I totally freaked. Pulled the safety pin on the spray and crashed through the vegetation trying to get back to the tent! Now I can laugh.
Edward Abbey wrote an essay about hiking back to his fire-tower lookout job and experience with ‘griz’ and how it changed his wilderness experience for the better. He says you need the animals to really appreciate the wilderness.

Back