Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Riding trails in the snow, at night, please turn off your headlight... !
The light system that I use for night rides on the single tracks outputs 4200 lumens max. Yes, it’s quite bright but it’s also safer to have the trail well lit when there’s no other source of ambient light to guide me. I can also dial it down to one low beam or shut it off completely with a handlebar mounted thumb remote.
IMG_20210821_1326488.jpg
The trails that I ride are used exclusively by two wheelers and it’s rare that I’ll come across any other riders at night other than the friends who I ride with. People who are out walking generally use the public pathways instead which are winter maintained. My encounter with the sleigh was anticipated as I was making my way home along the main road out. I had my low beam on at the time but turned it off immediately when I heard the driver’s voice call out to me. I'm all about staying safe which includes others who prowl the areas where I generally ride at night.

The light system that I use for night rides on the single tracks outputs 4200 lumens max. Yes, it’s quite bright but it’s also safer to have the trail well lit when there’s no other source of ambient light to guide me. I can also dial it down to one low beam or shut it off completely with a handlebar mounted thumb remote.
View attachment 112603
The trails that I ride are used exclusively by two wheelers and it’s rare that I’ll come across any other riders at night other than the friends who I ride with. People who are out walking generally use the public pathways instead which are winter maintained. My encounter with the sleigh was anticipated as I was making my way home along the main road out. I had my low beam on at the time but turned it off immediately when I heard the driver’s voice call out to me. I'm all about staying safe which includes others who prowl the areas where I generally ride at night.
Over here the powers that be (ptb) want to require headlights on horse drawn buggies. Probably on sleighs too.

But what's impressive is that you have the confidence to ride the trail in the snow, in the dark, and know you CAN turn the light off safely.

The only thing that really didn't survive the crash was Specialized Zee Cage II, the water-bottle cage that held the Range Extender battery on the ride. Think of the impact! This specific cage is made of a composite plastic material. I wonder whether the tremendously expensive S-Works Carbon Zee Cage II would last?

Taken into account the impact, I'm still surprised such relatively little harm happened to my body. Wear the helmet!

20220124_082036-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Good News

As I had been suffering strong aches as the outcome of my earlier crash, I started worrying and decided to spend this Sunday at the Emergency of a local hospital. Tomography and all. Even a covid test (otherwise I wouldn't be admitted into the hospital ward). So... Nothing broken or damaged inside my body. I am expected to suffer aches for the next six weeks though (Ibuprofen does me good).

Now, the surgeon started (almost) shouting at me: "RIDING A BIKE ON ICE (even on studded tyres) IS AN EXTREMELY IRRESPONSIBLE ACTION!" Hehe, I knew it would be pointless to tell him crashes used to occur to me at any season... :)
I'm thinking that like here, your hospitals may be extra busy right now and they don't want more patients. Be careful out there.

Weather note: Our forecasts will show the sun icon for the next day. I get up and there is fog when there is supposed to be happy clearing. Noticed this morning that there are no happy sun icons shown for the predicted future. They gave up! Sigh. WAIT! This one shows happy suns on Saturday. Teasing us? Or will the fog burn off? Stay tuned. https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/KOMK

I could hop in my pickup and head up to a higher elevation, I guess.

The only thing that really didn't survive the crash was Specialized Zee Cage II, the water-bottle cage that held the Range Extender battery on the ride. Think of the impact! This specific cage is made of a composite plastic material. I wonder whether the tremendously expensive S-Works Carbon Zee Cage II would last?

Taken into account the impact, I'm still surprised such relatively little harm happened to my body. Wear the helmet!

View attachment 112611
Coincidentally, I cracked one of the Zees on the Creo after hitting a large bump on a gravel road. I had to retrieve my water bottle but otherwise no harm no foul. I’ve since replaced the Zees on both our bikes with Lezyne side loading cages which are light, strong and likely more reinforced in design than the flimsy Zees. What’s more important, however, is that they are capable of holding a heavier and more precious load in the form of a RE rather than a mere water bottle.

What’s more important, however, is that they are capable of holding a heavier and more precious load in the form of a RE rather than a mere water bottle.
It is possible to secure the RE by turning it inside the Lezyne the same way as it is done with the Zee?

I'm thinking that like here, your hospitals may be extra busy right now and they don't want more patients. Be careful out there.
Certainly. It was more than 5 hours of waiting for the orthopaedist. You think he was busy all the time with the hospital patients?

I Nastily Crashed (Artezan Brewery Ride)

I've got an idea I would ride to meet Błażej and Agata in Warsaw on the coming Saturday. We have not seen one another for the whole pandemics I think! As Błażej is the guy who attracted me to the Craft Beer world, I thought I would ride to the Artezan Brewery and buy so called "stoß" (hit) beer for my friends there.

Hard weather. -2 C is nothing. It was the 35 km/h headwind that made the ride hard again, combined with a snowfall and ice on roads. I can just tell you that 100% SL Turbo on my Vado SL was not sufficient upwind. The headwind was occasionally slowing me down to 14 km/h despite of 240 W of motor assistance!

View attachment 112316
At the side of the Artezan Brewery in Błonie. It is one of the best craft brewers in Poland, and only 10.5 km away from my place! I met Albert, the son of the owner there, and we had a pleasant chat before he went back to the work, and I went in the brewery's store.

View attachment 112314
The four top Polish craft beers (all of them are brewed seasonally only and hard to buy):

• Samiec Alfa (Alpha Male): Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout with coffee, 13% abv
  • Chcesz ciasteczko? (Wanna A Cookie?): Imperial Milk Stout with Raspberry and Cocoa Beans, 11% abv
  • (You're) Too Young To Be Herod: Christmas Stout, 11% abv
  • Preparat: Beech Smoked Barleywine, 9% abv.
View attachment 112315
The return way was very pleasant, as I was driven by that very strong tailwind. I was hitting 42 km/h (26 mph) at times.

On last metres of my ride I lost my vigilance: what could have gone wrong? Well, the parking lot where I live now resembles a rough ice rink. And I crashed, painfully crashed. Fortunately enough, I fell on the non-drive side of my Vado SL, which saved the beer :) My left shoulder hurts badly! I don't think I broke anything though.

View attachment 112317

Dedicated to @DaveMatthews:
In 2017, my London friends and I made this tune together, online :) I play the bass and "lead guitar" here :)

View attachment 112611
Sorry to hear/see about your crash. Shoulders can be a bugger - but I hope yours turns out ok.
I'm 14 months into living with my "full-depth" rotator cuff tear and it doesn't trouble me much anymore.
You just learn to accommodate - and medicate.

Your story of why you were out for a ride reminded me of this:

Bike_Scotch.jpg

;) 🍻 🚲

I'm 14 months into living with my "full-depth" rotator cuff tear and it doesn't trouble me much anymore.
You just learn to accommodate - and medicate.
Sorry to hear about your accident! I can remember it was a bad one!

Your story of why you were out for a ride reminded me of this:
A good one! I copied it to my FB for amusement of my friends there!
Hmm... Perhaps I should take a risk and ride to a liquor store? :)

Weather note: Our forecasts will show the sun icon for the next day. I get up and there is fog when there is supposed to be happy clearing. Noticed this morning that there are no happy sun icons shown for the predicted future. They gave up! Sigh. WAIT! This one shows happy suns on Saturday. Teasing us? Or will the fog burn off? Stay tuned. https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/KOMK

I could hop in my pickup and head up to a higher elevation, I guess.
The overall air quality is also suffering. There is no new snow but I'm still considering taking out the cross country skis and heading up to the sunshine.

Been away from the forum for a bit, work, babysitting and helping friends with ebikes.
Nearly there with the new hub drive, but been helping friends out with repairing and reconstructing, learnt so much about bosch/ shimano etc and all the intracacies of construction, spare parts etc.

Screenshot_20220124-200707.png

Friends Orange ebike...thats a British make, not just a colour...motor died, tried repairing, ended up buying a new one from Germany, 600 quid.
Took half a day just to workout how it came apart to replace.

Hoping to take the hubdrive at with lads through the dunes on a night ride on thursday, so wish me luck, testing at the deep end.

Im seeing Stefan had a crash, I'll browse through to catch up.

It is possible to secure the RE by turning it inside the Lezyne the same way as it is done with the Zee?
Yes, it’s right-side loading as well but I find it overall to be more sturdy and stronger than the Zee.

IMG_20201028_1129438.jpg

A Little Update...

Had a 7.5 km (round trip) ride to a liquor store (thank you @RandallS for your inspiration!) And... You would not believe that! NO SINGLE ACHE WHILE RIDING! I only suffer pain when off-bike!
I don't know how to explain it. Redshift ShockStop being a perfect suspension system? SQlab Innerbarends being truly ergonomic? Riding position good to my shoulder? I don't know!

P.S. I was not on pain-killers!

A Little Update...

Had a 7.5 km (round trip) ride to a liquor store (thank you @RandallS for your inspiration!) And... You would not believe that! NO SINGLE ACHE WHILE RIDING! I only suffer pain when off-bike!
I don't know how to explain it. Redshift ShockStop being a perfect suspension system? SQlab Innerbarends being truly ergonomic? Riding position good to my shoulder? I don't know!

P.S. I was not on pain-killers!
But what about the ride back?

The only thing that really didn't survive the crash was Specialized Zee Cage II, the water-bottle cage that held the Range Extender battery on the ride.

View attachment 112611
I just saw this bottle cage on the Giant site - I think I may get one of these. Not sure if it would be suitable for your range extender or not.

1643068714600.png
1643069377650.png

It comes with a 9 piece mini tool. There's a 12 piece mini-tool version as well.

Last edited:
The Land of Snow, Ice and Everything Else in Between

It was a glorious albeit overcast morning as I set out on another ride along a familiar route. Night rides are something to experience if you haven’t done so before but day excursions are hard to beat especially when it comes to the odd encounter with one of the locals.

GH011378_Moment0.jpg

GH011378_Moment(3).jpg

It was a bit disappointing not being able to even see a glimmer of sunlight today and the gloomy skies made it appear to be much cooler than it actually was.

Trail conditions, on the other hand, were near optimal even with the recent spell of warm weather. It was ideal hard pack making it oh so grippy for the studs with just the right amount of softness beneath the tires allowing me to enjoy a relatively constant pace even on uphill sections. I actually prefer it to be quite a few degrees colder than the unseasonably mild -1C that we were rewarded with today as the drive train is kept much cleaner by the end of the ride.

GH011378_Moment9.jpg

Part my route runs parallel to the public paths which work well for everyone including XC skiers as well for those who are simply out for a brisk walk.

GH011385_Moment10.jpg

I came across only one slushy section along the trail as well as a fair amount of ice on a bridge crossing - a tell tale sign of the thaw/freeze cycles that we’ve been experiencing.

GH011384_Moment5.jpgGH011386_Moment6.jpg

I’ve been a consistent visitor to the Bower Ponds in recent days. I must say that the municipality does a great job in maintaining the ice conditions from snow removal to flooding.

GH011387_Moment8.jpg

GH011387_Moment(7).jpg

A short video of today's ride. :)

Back