Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

I had no idea that causeway was rideable up by Anacortes. Looks like it cleared up for the end of your ride - still socked in down here.

We always stop for waffle cones at the vegetable stand there by the end of Best Road when we drive up that way! Always been curious about the general store/deli/gas station further up the road...
That would be the Tommy Thompson Trail.

Snow Goose Produce is awesome, but I like The Rex (I think that is what you are talking about) more because there is an enormous covered outdoor dining area.

Good to know the Rex has decent food. Speaking of burgers I stopped at XXX for a bite on the way back from doing Thorp to Hyak on the PTC a few weeks ago. ;)

IMG_20210909_212319_01__01__01.jpg

IMG_20210906_201403__01.jpg

Good to know the Rex has decent food. Speaking of burgers I stopped at XXX for a bite on the way back from doing Thorp to Hyak on the PTC a few weeks ago. ;)

View attachment 100394

View attachment 100395
In all the years I've lived here, I've never been to that place. What the hell was that sandwich? I might just have to make a special trip. I'm trying to convince myself that even with very little hiking this year that I can make it to Ingalls Pass to see the Larch trees. Was just looking over the specs earlier this evening. But there's also delays on eastbound I-90 which could make for a rather long day.

today was a little different ride. i wanted to do some miles, but didn't feel like pushing too hard (three days in a row!) and for some reason felt like staying close to home. so i charted a route around the city, never leaving the city limits, stringing together a few segments i like and do frequently along with some new and decidedly non-glamorous terrain. the result was a bit over 50 miles, ridden slowly (although not quite as slowly as it says - strava sometimes seem to have a different opinion of "moving time" from rwGPS and mission control!). when i started, i assumed i'd use the motor for the big hills in the middle... but it turned out the grades were really fine without boost for the most part. i would REALLY like a 10% lower gear on this bike, and have ordered a new rear cassette and front ring to make it happen!

20210918-longSFRide.jpg

starting out, the weather was... undecided. would it be foggy, misty, cloudy, or sunny?

5799-creoPresidio.jpg 5803-ocean.jpg

after the quick ride through and down/out of the presidio, we hit great highway for some flat straight car-free riding. unfortunately there was a vicious headwind, so strong that for a chunk in the middle i turned around and made a loop just to be able to ride it both ways. average speed into the wind: 13mph. average speed with the wind: 25mph. no motor either direction. the sensation of sudden complete quiet after turning around is mysterious and magical.

5834-greatHighway.jpg

after the flats, a quick tiny climb, where the adjacent sand dunes are always winning the battle with the road. the white object is a jersey barrier, lol.

5839-sand.jpg

a three quarter lap around lake merced. fun fact: the lake is fed by an underground spring, and was the city's primary source of water until the damming of the hetch-hetchy valley until 1908. although the lake was once owned by san francisco's first mayor, the water rights were privately owned for decades! imagine if the rights to the water supply to a major city were privately owned today!

5859-lakeMerced.jpg

the first climb begins, a gradual slog from sea level to around 800 feet.

5865-twinPeaksClimb.jpg 5889-sutroTower.jpg

the reward, is, of course, a great view and a gatorade break :D when taking photographs of downtown from twin peaks, at least one must feature market street dead on axis in the center of the frame! take mental note of the end of that street (little white clock tower), we'll be there in a few hours.

5909-twinPeaks.jpg 5913-twinPeaks.jpg

.. and a fast-ish descent awaits!

5926-downTwinPeaks.jpg

a climb through a quiet neighborhood and into one of the city's lesser known parks, mclaren park, whose hills also offer nice views. a few moments on this climb almost had me hitting the motor button, but i went slow and ground it out.

5944-mission.jpg 5949-mclaren.jpg 5953-mclaren.jpg

and now we're at the other corner of the city, looking down on the bay, not the ocean.

5968-bayviewShore.jpg

i then rode a half lap around the rubble of what was formerly candlestick park, home of the san francisco giants and 49ers. bittersweet for me, having spent many afternoons watching baseball here as a young child, but in truth it was a horrible place to watch baseball. the new stadium, which we'll ride by momentarily, is better in every way. the candlestick site will some day be redeveloped, but at the moment it's a rather sad, sketchy place, far from the stereotypical postcard san francisco. not shown, the many people living in RVs along the road around the site, the litter, broken glass, cars on blocks... thank the cycling gods for gatorskin hardshell tires.

5971-candleStick.jpg 5974-candleStick.jpg 5978-graffiti.jpg

a few minutes and we're crossing along the "working" portion of the southern waterfront, where ships are still repaired from time to time and some shipping is handled (most has long since moved to the other side of the bay...)

5987-southernWaterfront.jpg 5986-creoBridge.jpg

and now we're approaching mission bay and south beach, where the new golden state warriors arena sits, and oracle park (it'll always be pac bell park to me!) where the giants play. it was a game day, so progress was slowed a bit by pedestrian use of bike paths!

5994-dogpatch.jpg 5997-chase.jpg 6006-basin.jpg 6008-bridge.jpg

past the ballpark, a quick spin up the embarcadero.

6014-embarcadero.jpg 6021-creoBayBridge.jpg

.. and we're at the foot of market street, the terminus of the central boulevard seen from above near the beginning of the ride.

6023-market.jpg

after riding through downtown, we're in the panhandle of golden gate park, and then the presidio again, and then almost home, once a few dozen scooters and errant pedestrians are dodged!

6030-panhandle.jpg 6032-descent.jpg 6034-polk.jpg

Last edited:
In all the years I've lived here, I've never been to that place. What the hell was that sandwich? I might just have to make a special trip. I'm trying to convince myself that even with very little hiking this year that I can make it to Ingalls Pass to see the Larch trees. Was just looking over the specs earlier this evening. But there's also delays on eastbound I-90 which could make for a rather long day.

XXX burger - 2lbs of meat. Surprisingly good actually, especially the bun. XXX is best experienced when you can wander through the inside to check out all the old car and 50's memorabilia. In a sign of the times similar to @David Berry 's post 3342 they gave me a facemask for managing to finish it.

I've never done the hike to the larches but have heard it's nice.

(although not quite as slowly as it says - strava sometimes seem to have a different opinion of "moving time" from rwGPS and mission control!)
Mission Control should be the most accurate, as the "motion" occurs when your speed sensor of the e-bike says so. (As long as you have not switched the system off completely).

have ordered a new rear cassette and front ring to make it happen!
What chainring size?

Mission Control should be the most accurate, as the "motion" occurs when your speed sensor of the e-bike says so. (As long as you have not switched the system off completely).

What chainring size?
re:mission control, interestingly it doesn‘t always think I’m stopped when I’m stopped. in a ride with stoplights, I often hit the pause button when I stop. and then I note (while I’m standing with a foot on the ground at a red light!) the speed indicated by MC jumping around from 0 to 1 or 1.5mph. and then the auto start feature resumes the ride! very interesting, not sure if it’s some sort of noise from the wheel sensor (weird) or MC is trying to integrate the innacurate GPS data.

I went with a 10-42 rear cassette and a 42t front ring. top gear will stay the same at 4.2:1 but low will go from 1.1:1 to 1:1. another option is a 10-46 in the back and a 44t up front, but I’ll see how this goes first. reports are the stock GRX derailleur can handle the 10t. I’ll probably remove two links from the chain.

The Triple R - the Rappahannock Rough Ride

Yesterday the day started early...at least for me. I only had to wake up at 6am to have plenty of time to get dressed in cycling gear, feed the animals, feed myself, and hubby and I could be on the road at 7am to head to the Rappahannock Rough Ride about 40 miles south. Bike was already on the new car rack on the electric car, both charged and ready to go. My cycling neighbor told me she'd be arriving at my driveway at 7am sharp in her car with her bike, ready to follow us into Rappahannock County (Virginia).

Truth is I'm not an early riser. The only reason I woke up, at 6:18 no less from a sound sleep, was because my puppy put his nose on my nose, and barked once. I swear, someone should make an alarm clock of a puppy barking because I was instantly awake and at once glance to the clock shot out of bed like I was on fire. At 7:05 the two cars were on their way south to Washington, Virginia for the 25th annual Rappahannock Rough Ride - a charity ride to support the county's medical help clinics for the poor. The ride offered two divisions- one set of distances on gravel roads, the other set of distances on paved roads up to a meteic century. I'd been on this ride before (paved division) and was over the moon at the gorgeous countryside. It wasn't held last year (no thanks to Covid), and I really had my doubts whether it would be cancelled this year, too.
Screenshot_20210919_072012_copy_768x900.jpg

But the organizers decided to go forward with their ride since the number of riders is manageable (about 200). Thus my neighbor and I were there with the first group - the metrics and half metrics - at the 9am start. Although we were in the half metric, and both our Vados had plenty of juice for that distance, I carried my extra battery with me "just in case". The terrain was (and I'm putting this mildly) "rolling" to the point of ...if the road wasn't going up, it was going down. "Battery draining" was more appropriately the term. Flat going was non-existent. You couldn't find 2 feet on any of the distances to save your soul. So while the extra 8 lbs of e-juice strapped on the back rack of my bike weighed me down a bit more than I wanted, the extra assurance of a spare battery was a weight off my mind. The big plus was that battery fit either bike (both Vados).

Despite the endless 34 miles of rollercoaster roads, the views were...breathtaking.
IMG_20210918_105636_2~2.jpg

Each view seemed better than the last, and although I tried not to stop every few feet to snap another shot, sometimes the urge was just too much to resist.
IMG_20210918_105059_5~2_copy_979x656.jpg

Thankfully, my neighbor didn't mind at all, and found it funny that we two would constantly leapfrog the folks on reg bikes as soon as we got going again. We did look for other ebikes, but at the start I only noticed the recumbents that had e-power. No other bikes in the lineup stood out as an ebike like they had the prior time I'd been on this ride. So imagine my surprise when we passed a Trek lightweight road ebike in a small group and, as they recognized that we were on ebikes, the Trek rider had to point out that she, too, was on an ebike. It was darn right impossible to tell - that bike's frame was a sleek as a gazelle and stunningly beautiful with no battery discernible. Of course, the rider's delighted crowing of "yee-haws" as she cruised effortless up each hill should have been a clue while her companions stood in the pedals and tried to keep up.

Whimsy seemed to find us along the way, in this case a sign out in front of a good-ol-boy style tractor repair place just tickled my funny bone. I mean, a yard sale inside? Couldn't resist stopping.
00001IMG_00001_BURST1631976500886_COVER~2_copy_816x423.jpg

Even with several stops to take photos, in short order my neighbor and I had moved from the back of the pack towards the front where the riders had spaced out enough for us to be pretty much on our own, chatting as we pedaled through the entrancing countryside where everything was either on top of a hill, or residing in a "hallar" (Appalachian lingo derived from the word "holler" meaning a deep foot of a woodland hill where voices could theoretically echo for miles if one decided to yell into that tree shielded abyss). I had to use my Turbo a lot. I mean that seriously. After a bit we both learned to just blast down the hills in order to have enough genetic energy to slingshot us almost to the top of the next hill before we had to put pedal to the metal. Over and over and over again.

But the views kept coming, and we had a blast.
IMG_20210918_111909_0~2_copy_1305x815.jpg

At one point we rounded a downhill bend where a country store sat, fully decorated for Halloween. I had to use both disk brakes to stop in time to leap off my bike for a shot. The first click caught a passing rider sweep around the bend right in front of me when I took the shot, which I found amusing. The second attempt was cyclist-free and I caught the county store in all its delightfully gory festive attire.
20210918_101555~2_copy_838x865.jpg

The parking lot was equally decorated with gouls and zombies. Whoever decorated it certainly had a love for the undead, as well as all the trappings of a true Halloween. And it just wouldn't be "the true South" without the store advertising nightcrawlers (worms) in stock for fishing.
20210918_101606~2_copy_1000x682.jpg

Our route took us through several beautiful little towns which have capitalized on their revered lineage for elegantly, yet historically correct, restored buildings geared to the upscale tourist trade before the roads once again guided us back into the expansive countryside, never missing even one hill to surmount and coast down.

The drain on our batteries was intense. Even though my neighbor cut off her power for the endless downhill, she quietly relayed to me, 3 miles from the finish, that her battery light was blinking. "I think I'm running on fumes" she admitted with a touch of worry. We still had a lot of rolling terrain in front of us, and one massive hill to tackle. I assured her we could slap my extra battery on her bike should hers go dead before the end was in sight. She can't walk without a cane, and the hills would be granny gear only, so an unassisted bike was not an option. Knowing we had reserve electrons at the ready, and that I'd insisted she bring her battery lock key along for the ride "just in case", she felt comfortable enough to soldier on and dug deeper into her bravery to coast brake free down the hills to better slingshot up the next incline.

As it was, it proved just enough for her battery to squeeze out its final juice as we crested the last hill and rolled down the main street to the finish. I arrived with 19% of my 606w battery left. She had about 1% of her 500w left. But we'd had an absolute blast, and she said not only did she want to do this ride again next year, but she wanted to invite her Maryland friends to do it as well. She and I both have extra ebikes, so the plan certainly would be doable.

The heat by then was high, the humidity higher, but despite dripping sweat like we'd just stepped out of a pool, we still enjoyed some fun chats with fellow returning cyclists as we loaded our bikes on our racks for the ride home. A stop for lunch at the pre-Revolutionary War (1776) Griffen Tavern just a few miles down the road was a welcome hour spent in the glorous AC among tasteful colonial decor with food that was simply incredible.
Front-of-Tavern.jpg

The-Rappahannock-Room.jpg

The deep fried breaded dill pickles with aioli sauce have now become my all time favorite southern treat. Who would have guessed my Yankee palate would enjoy such a strange deep south appetizer ? Our wonderful waiter (who could actually quote some of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy best lines - a book I had to explain to my hubby and neighbor who were clueless to this great classic) told me that only about two restaurants on the mid-Atlantic had this delectable recipe and that one had to go deep deep DEEP South to find it on the menu.

And then it was time to head home. I took the longer way back since it was straight highway (our ride down was via switchbacked back country roads), and rolled into my garage with 30% battery left in my electric car. The round trip ended up being over 100 miles.

Both car and bike were plugged in, and I hopped on my other bike to head to my neighbor's to help her take her bike off her rack and then take the rack off. Once back home it was time for hubby and I and the dogs to chill for the rest of the day, and talk about next week's charity ride (The Tour de Conservation Gravel Roads Ride) that will be held in our area on the gravel roads. In January had signed up for a ride thus same weekend being held in Washington DC, but will ditch that because the cyclists attending will be counted in the 6 to 7 thousands. Too much risk with Covid Delta, even being vaccinated, that I'm willing to take. So my neighbor and I will take a well deserved break and get ready for another half metric next Saturday on our own lovely roads. At least the temps will be down into the "fabulous" range. We are even expected to get some frost one of the mornings this week! Time to pull the horse blankets out of storage. Soon enough the weather will be "jackets mandatory".
Screenshot_20210919_085244_copy_614x703.jpg

(Pardon any typos. Have to run right now but will edit later, I promise!)

Last edited:
today was a little different ride. i wanted to do some miles, but didn't feel like pushing too hard (three days in a row!) and for some reason felt like staying close to home. so i charted a route around the city, never leaving the city limits, stringing together a few segments i like and do frequently along with some new and decidedly non-glamorous terrain. the result was a bit over 50 miles, ridden slowly (although not quite as slowly as it says - strava sometimes seem to have a different opinion of "moving time" from rwGPS and mission control!). when i started, i assumed i'd use the motor for the big hills in the middle... but it turned out the grades were really fine without boost for the most part. i would REALLY like a 10% lower gear on this bike, and have ordered a new rear cassette and front ring to make it happen!

View attachment 100398

starting out, the weather was... undecided. would it be foggy, misty, cloudy, or sunny?

View attachment 100425 View attachment 100399

after the quick ride through and down/out of the presidio, we hit great highway for some flat straight car-free riding. unfortunately there was a vicious headwind, so strong that for a chunk in the middle i turned around and made a loop just to be able to ride it both ways. average speed into the wind: 13mph. average speed with the wind: 25mph. no motor either direction. the sensation of sudden complete quiet after turning around is mysterious and magical.

View attachment 100400

after the flats, a quick tiny climb, where the adjacent sand dunes are always winning the battle with the road. the white object is a jersey barrier, lol.

View attachment 100401

a three quarter lap around lake merced. fun fact: the lake is fed by an underground spring, and was the city's primary source of water until the damming of the hetch-hetchy valley until 1908. although the lake was once owned by san francisco's first mayor, the water rights were privately owned for decades! imagine if the rights to the water supply to a major city were privately owned today!

View attachment 100402

the first climb begins, a gradual slog from sea level to around 800 feet.

View attachment 100403 View attachment 100404

the reward, is, of course, a great view and a gatorade break :D when taking photographs of downtown from twin peaks, at least one must feature market street dead on axis in the center of the frame! take mental note of the end of that street (little white clock tower), we'll be there in a few hours.

View attachment 100405 View attachment 100406

.. and a fast-ish descent awaits!

View attachment 100407

a climb through a quiet neighborhood and into one of the city's lesser known parks, mclaren park, whose hills also offer nice views. a few moments on this climb almost had me hitting the motor button, but i went slow and ground it out.

View attachment 100408 View attachment 100409 View attachment 100410

and now we're at the other corner of the city, looking down on the bay, not the ocean.

View attachment 100411

i then rode a half lap around the rubble of what was formerly candlestick park, home of the san francisco giants and 49ers. bittersweet for me, having spent many afternoons watching baseball here as a young child, but in truth it was a horrible place to watch baseball. the new stadium, which we'll ride by momentarily, is better in every way. the candlestick site will some day be redeveloped, but at the moment it's a rather sad, sketchy place, far from the stereotypical postcard san francisco. not shown, the many people living in RVs along the road around the site, the litter, broken glass, cars on blocks... thank the cycling gods for gatorskin hardshell tires.

View attachment 100412 View attachment 100413 View attachment 100427

a few minutes and we're crossing along the "working" portion of the southern waterfront, where ships are still repaired from time to time and some shipping is handled (most has long since moved to the other side of the bay...)

View attachment 100428 View attachment 100414

and now we're approaching mission bay and south beach, where the new golden state warriors arena sits, and oracle park (it'll always be pac bell park to me!) where the giants play. it was a game day, so progress was slowed a bit by pedestrian use of bike paths!

View attachment 100415 View attachment 100416 View attachment 100417 View attachment 100418

past the ballpark, a quick spin up the embarcadero.

View attachment 100419 View attachment 100420

.. and we're at the foot of market street, the terminus of the central boulevard seen from above near the beginning of the ride.

View attachment 100421

after riding through downtown, we're in the panhandle of golden gate park, and then the presidio again, and then almost home, once a few dozen scooters and errant pedestrians are dodged!

View attachment 100422 View attachment 100423 View attachment 100424
What a great tour of SF. I probably have not been there in 30 years. A land use conference of sorts. And NO power - you are in much better shape than I and probably a lot YOUNGER! :)

XXX burger - 2lbs of meat. Surprisingly good actually, especially the bun. XXX is best experienced when you can wander through the inside to check out all the old car and 50's memorabilia. In a sign of the times similar to @David Berry 's post 3342 they gave me a facemask for managing to finish it.

I've never done the hike to the larches but have heard it's nice.
Larches are MAGICAL. As I call them deciduous "PINE" trees. They have soft needles that turn golden in Fall. Depending on weather, wind and rain or snow, the window can be short. They generally grow on the east side of the Cascades at elevations of 6,000 feet. So hiking to them can be work. You can actually drive and see them just east of Washington Pass in the North Cascades.

Here's a picture I captured a number of years ago at Carne Mt.

Carne Mt Snow.JPG

Share some photos from Japan
Yamaha ydx moro pro ebike in action.
Are there any protected bike lanes in Tokyo?
Pictures of bento from Tokyo.
Pizza 🍕, Hamburger ,sushi ?
Any pictures?
Aloha! Right now during the surge I’ve only been doing 15km every other day at the cycle track in the park at 2~4 AM - no photos to share last 2 months actually but here’s a protected pedestrian/bike lane from July:
1ABD877F-B8CB-44E7-AAEA-4B95DB50D2EF.jpeg

Lots of these type around that follow the “rivers” of yesterday (now just pretty much streams or hard walled drainage canals. My health ride is a 2km dedicated bike only circuit path but littered with maskless joggers so I only ride that 6 laps in the very early AM. Can’t say I would dare do that in the middle of a metropolitan park in the States though. We do sashimi mostly but I’ll have a maki roll too:
27FF76D0-E964-49E3-A9D5-45077680F5D2.jpeg

Hopefully if Covid numbers are still down trending I can start longer rides October 1st after state of emergency is suspended.

@Haystacks and @Stefan Mikes - looks like the UK will solve the metric mess:

Frankly, I think that has to be one of the most ridiculous ideas around. Although, I have to admit that I live in IMPERIAL USA. We, the USA, of course, march to the beat (is tempo Imperial or Metric?) of our own drummer but the Metric standard seems to make sense. But in looking for info on this article, I see that they will also revert to BLUE passports because:

"Home Secretary Priti Patel said at the time the blue passport will "once again be entwined with our national identity," the BBC reported."

Yeah, now that really is important. I could care less what color my passport is. It could be green, purple, violet, blue, white, yellow or aquamarine - I use/see it about once or twice a year PRE-pandemic.

Hawaii got the idea from Japan on how to build proper bike lanes.
I only wish we had real lanes like that in Tokyo. There’s *almost* similar segregated paths like that in the industrial area where we go for people-free exercise however the Japanese version installed a 6” (150mm) concrete curb to separate them - very dangerous because it leaves bicycles only about 1 meter to pass each other in contra flow situations. Worse yet it physically steers you directly into a pedestrian should they step into the bicycle lane.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said at the time the blue passport will "once again be entwined with our national identity.

Yeah, now that really is important. I could care less what color my passport is.
A 'proper' 1969 British passport in traditional 'blue':

1969 British Passport

It travelled through Asia and Africa in the back pocket of my jeans (sewn shut on the outside; accessible only from the inside); hence, its crumpled look after a year of use/abuse.

Although over fifty years have passed since then, neither the blue passport nor its 'owner' (scare quotes because passports don't belong to us) has ever returned to the UK. I suppose, I could 'walk in' and declare "I'm back!".

A 'proper' 1969 British passport in traditional 'blue':

View attachment 100495

It travelled through Asia and Africa in the back pocket of my jeans (sewn shut on the outside; accessible only from the inside); hence, its crumpled look after a year of use/abuse.

Although over fifty years have passed since then, neither the blue passport nor its 'owner' (scare quotes because passports don't belong to us) has ever returned to the UK. I suppose, I could 'walk in' and declare "I'm back!".
Wasn't that Arnold's line "I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!" So you are not a native Aussie. Although after 50 years (yikes) you must feel native. I've been in Seattle for 46 years. Native of The Bronx. Okay, now where's that passport photo? :)

A little less soggy, at least until right at the end...

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 3.44.00 PM.png

I swear every time I ride this bridge I'll never do it again, but here I am. Deception Pass, WA:

tempImageOiIytL.jpg

Swantown:

tempImageDILgQ0.jpg

S of Coupeville:

tempImagethQHjC.jpg

Kites at Camp Casey:

tempImage5oXI4S.jpg

... and a friendly note to travelers. There is a lot of blown-in debris on the shoulders right now. Sometimes that is just needle cast and leaves. Sometimes it is tree branches. Sometimes it is big chunks of downed trees. So use some caution as even the wet leaves and needles can be spectacularly slippery, and the downed tree bits can be hidden by the leaves and would make for a Big Surprise.

took a ride across to the closest state. most of the ride is on city streets. like 20 miles to get to about 3 miles or so of paths. but hey good exercise. 44 miles and a stop at a Chinese restaurant. Saw the water not sure if it was on purpose or what. A memorial for a hit and run a few days ago. a cool mailbox and a cool cat.
Screenshot 2021-09-19 at 5.32.09 PM.jpg
IMG_3351.jpeg
IMG_3349.jpeg
IMG_3348.jpeg
IMG_3347.jpeg
IMG_3346.jpeg
IMG_3345.jpeg
IMG_3344.jpeg
IMG_3342.jpeg
IMG_3341.jpeg

Back