Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

We have some lanes not protected.
Haha - Japan largely adopted that system, maybe from Hawaii šŸ˜. And thereā€™s always cars or vans parked in it for deliveries or whatever. Then you risk either getting hit by an opening door or pinched between the car and another passing car. Actually I stay off those paths because theyā€™re the most dangerous, unless itā€™s very early AM. At least HPD will clear you from the bike lane if you park there in a car.

took a ride across to the closest state. most of the ride is on city streets. like 20 miles to get to about 3 miles or so of paths. but hey good exercise. 44 miles and a stop at a Chinese restaurant. Saw the water not sure if it was on purpose or what. A memorial for a hit and run a few days ago. a cool mailbox and a cool cat.
View attachment 100512View attachment 100522
How horribly sad and tragic - seems like he was murdered while protecting his girlfriend from an attack at a convenience store:

The Last Ride of Summer 2021

I screwed it up. In an extremely complex (I would not hesitate to name it "crazy") operation, I and my friend Anita delivered as many as five bikes with our cars to the village of Kampinos for Sunday morning. The bikes arrived there partly disassembled, otherwise they would not fit into our cars. Yet, I screwed it up. I had simply forgotten to pack the front wheel of a Trek XC bike, so one person had to be eliminated from the ride. (Jacek rode from his home, so he made well over 100 km on that day). The final team:
  • Jacek (Trance E+)
  • Anita (Como 5.0)
  • "Howard" (Lovelec e-bike)
  • Ania, 17-yo schoolgirl (a beaten up 20+ years old Jeep bike of her mother; she was expected to ride the modern Trek)
  • Yours truly, on a Vado SL.
Małgosia (Ania's Mom) had no bike to ride, so she sent Ania for the trip: Ania would make a nice ride report for her class to earn extra points! :D (Necessary to mention the Jeep was a disaster; Ania was a good cyclist herself).

1632110819114.png

The team: (L to R) Jacek, Ania, Anita, Howard. Interestingly, the first part of the trip involved unpaved forest roads. All bikes proved worthy of that terrain.

1632110886672.png

Anita with her Como at a large clearing inside the Kampinos National Park.

1632111306868.png

The team at the large clearing. See my Vado SL collapsed (nothing wrong happened!)

1632111403438.png

"As one of very few (presumably), I can perceive a horse here" :) (That's an old absurd meme I like a lot!).

1632111627317.png

More people "perceiving a horse here" :D

1632112516494.png

Something we all found very interesting. There is a narrow gauge train starting from Sochaczew. You can pay (very cheaply) for a day trip. The train would take you there to Wilcze Tułowskie. You would go for a hike with a guide to the National Park. After your return, the train would continue its trip, with final bonfire/grill/party at the terminal stop. The railway only operates in the warm season, so I'm going to take the train trip the next Spring!

1632112770616.png

The train engineer was as kind as to explain all the details to us. (The travellers were on their hike at that time).

1632112874292.png

As we reached the northern trip segment, we met two roadie pelotons riding from the other direction. We were enthusiastically greeted by some roadies. I felt I could see a familiar face there. Yes! It was the Roadie Staszek, my cycling buddy for the cold season! :) Then we reached the Martha's Store in Secymin. Unfortunately, all "dem cookiez" had been already eaten by roadies! (Staszek told me later his peloton didn't get Martha's cookies either. We consoled ourselves with delicious poppy-seed cake at Martha's instead). Here, our group on the River Vistula, where a ferry feels to be a natural thing but there's none). Can you see me levitating? :D

1632113269216.png

At the Black Cat ornament, known to all roadies taking the Vistula trail. (Meanwhile, Jacek was going bananas: He was riding up the Vistula flood embankment on his e-MTB and riding down next).

1632113437707.png

Extra photos from Anita: At Martha's (top), Mikulskis with the Black Cat.

1632113635454.png

At a Hollander (Mennonite) cemetery.

1632113681332.png

While in the Hollander Land, Ania started suffering the ride with that Jeep junk: Her knees started hurting. Howard (who is partly disabled) took a manly decision and let Ania ride for 10 km on the Lovelec. (Here, he's furiously pedalling over the WilkĆ³w Road). Later, Anita let Ania ride her Como. The girl was totally sold on e-bikes. I suggested that she might ask her Mother and Father for an SL e-bike that is basically meant to be pedalled unpowered, with assistance to be used upwind, uphill, or when the rider is tired (it also relieves knees hurting!)

1632113947706.png

Ride Map. I wish we all were on e-bikes on that trip! The day was cold (9 C). Everybody wore proper clothes, and it didn't feel too cold to us! But the Summer's gone.

Last edited:

I screwed it up. In an extremely complex (I would not hesitate to name it "crazy") operation, I and my friend Anita delivered as many as five bikes with our cars to the village of Kampinos for Sunday morning. The bikes arrived there partly disassembled, otherwise they would not fit into our cars. Yet, I screwed it up. I had simply forgotten to pack the front wheel of a Trek XC bike, so one person had to be eliminated from the ride. (Jacek rode from his home, so he made well over 100 km on that day). The final team:
  • Jacek (Trance E+)
  • Anita (Como 5.0)
  • Ania, 17-yo schoolgirl (a beaten up 20+ years old Jeep bike of her mother; she was expected to ride the modern Trek)
Małgosia (Ania's Mom) had no bike to ride, so she sent Ania for the trip: Ania would make a nice ride report for her class to earn extra points! :D (Necessary to mention the Jeep was a disaster; Ania was a good cyclist herself).

View attachment 100548
The team: (L to R) Jacek, Ania, Anita, Howard. Interestingly, the first part of the trip involved unpaved forest roads. All bikes proved worthy of that terrain.

View attachment 100549

View attachment 100550
The team at the large clearing. See my Vado SL collapsed (nothing wrong happened!)

View attachment 100551
"As one of very few ones (presumably), I can perceive a horse here" :) (That's an old absurd meme I like a lot!).

View attachment 100554

View attachment 100558
Something we all found very interesting. There is a narrow gauge train starting from Sochaczew. You can pay (very cheaply) for a day trip. The train would take you there to Wilcze Tułowskie. You would go for a hike with a guide to the National Park. After your return, the train would continue its trip, with final bonfire/grill/party at the terminal stop. The railway only operates in the warm season, so I'm going to take the train trip the next Spring!

View attachment 100559
The train engineer was as kind as to explain all the details to us. (The travellers were on their hike at that time).

View attachment 100560
As we reached the northern trip segment, we met two roadie pelotons riding from the other direction. We were enthusiastically greeted by some roadies. I felt I could see a familiar face there. Yes! It was the Roadie Staszek, my cycling buddy for the cold season! :) Then we reached the Martha's Store in Secymin. Unfortunately, all "dem cookiez" had been already eaten by roadies! (Staszek told me later his peloton didn't get Martha's cookies either. We consoled ourselves with delicious poppy-seed cake at Martha's instead). Here, our group on the River Vistula, where a ferry feels to be a natural thing but there's none). Can you see me levitating? :D

View attachment 100561
At the Black Cat ornament, known to all roadies taking the Vistula trail. (Meanwhile, Jacek was going bananas: He was riding up the Vistula flood embankment on his e-MTB and riding down next).

View attachment 100562

View attachment 100563

View attachment 100564
While in the Hollander Land, Ania started suffering the ride with that Jeep junk: Her knees started hurting. Howard (who is partly disabled) took a manly decision and let Ania ride for 10 km on the Lovelec. (Here, he's furiously pedalling over the WilkĆ³w Road). Later, Anita let Ania ride her Como. The girl was totally sold on e-bikes. I suggested that she might ask her Mother and Father for an SL e-bike that is basically meant to be pedalled unpowered, with assistance to be used upwind, uphill, or when the rider is tired (it also relieves knees hurting!)

View attachment 100565
Ride Map. I wish we all were on e-bikes on that trip! The day was cold (9 C). Everybody wore proper clothes, and it didn't feel too cold to us! But the Summer's gone.
Nice trip report Stefan. šŸ‘Summer hasnā€™t officially come to an end yet but it sure seems like it judging by the selection of your groupā€™s outerwear. My wife and I are in Jasper National Park where it snowed earlier this afternoon as we drove up towards Sunwapta Pass/Parker Ridge on our way to the townsite where we will be here until Tuesday. This might be our last cycling trip to the mountains as well but if it is, we hope to conclude the summer season on an epic note with a couple of mid to high altitude rides here.

@Rome - How not to do bike lanes, and not how they should be maintained. Tokyo Govt put all of its resources into the Olympics and basically abandoned maintenance of public areas for the inhabitants. It really shows. Also cost the Prime Minister his job.
8842B405-25F9-4323-B26B-3A236A578414.jpeg

No one rides a bike on this now anyway ā€“ they went back to the road. I think this section was a prototype maybe. I hope.

A different sort of beach ā€¦

Kedron Brook, Brisbane

Kedron Brook + Moreton Bay + Moreton Island
This is the place to let dogs and children run wild. The kids seem to be intent on digging up the mudflats; the dogs are doing doggy things (chasing balls thrown into the water, or sniffing one another); and the mums and dads are being careful not to let more than their toes get wet.

I chose to enjoy a double-thick milkshake from the Bean & Bark espresso van, and then headed back home. Tough life.

In the distance (east), separating Moreton Bay from the Coral Sea (Pacific), is Moreton Island (world's second largest sand island). The huge sand islands are the main reason why the waters of Moreton Bay are so calm.

Out of view: to our right (south) is Brisbane Airport and to the left (north) is an important bird sanctuary.

Highway One (on the map) has neither beginning nor end: head in either direction and you'll go right around the continent.

Ride with GPS Map : Kedron Brook, Brisbane

Last edited by a moderator:
1632140281527.png

After yesterdays awful weather it was nice to get out for a leisurely ride today, it wasn't so nice at first with mist and fog all around! I thought it was going to be a day with no photos but that all changed as the weather went from this!

1632140369730.jpeg

To this!
1632140503892.jpeg

I tried this road today as I haven't used it for quite some time!
1632140605996.jpeg

It keeps going down and down!
1632140644182.jpeg

It offers up some nice views also!
1632140712145.jpeg

1632141046188.jpeg

1632141069311.jpeg

Its starting to get colder now, some of the horses are wearing their jackets!
1632141149844.jpeg

1632141177762.jpeg

I was flying down a big hill and lost control at this corner, I did call an ambulance but there wasn't much hope for these two! ;) šŸ¤£
1632141309634.jpeg

We have been very lucky for a while as the winds have been very light, from tomorrow that is about to change! It was good while it lasted but as long as its not too dangerous I hope to get out again soon! I really enjoyed today, I was just taking my time and enjoying my lovely surroundings! I passed the 4,000 mile mark for this year today, hopefully there will be many more to come!

Attachments

• elevation_profile335.jpg
    elevation_profile335.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 137
  • trip-75620902-map-full248.png
    trip-75620902-map-full248.png
    421.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 20210920_092521.jpg
    20210920_092521.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 160
  • 20210920_100450.jpg
    20210920_100450.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210920_100544.jpg
    20210920_100544.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210920_100931.jpg
    20210920_100931.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 143
  • 20210920_101301.jpg
    20210920_101301.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 20210920_101304.jpg
    20210920_101304.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 20210920_101744.jpg
    20210920_101744.jpg
    674.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210920_101756.jpg
    20210920_101756.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 20210920_101759.jpg
    20210920_101759.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 20210920_101801.jpg
    20210920_101801.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 144
Rode the trails around Glendalough state park (Minnesota) and nearby Battle Lake.
Battle Lake known for a tribal war where dozens of native Americans were slaughtered.
Chief.jpg

The leaves starting to change. Our four legged friend likes his perch in the basket and always brings a smile to everyone we pass.
Trail shot.jpg

Trail bikes.jpg

Stopped and had a lovely breakfast sandwich in Battle lake city next to the Hippie Sister boutique.
hippie sister.jpg

Really beautiful countryside up north in Minnesota -> land of 10,000 clear crisp lakes (full of fish).
The Aventon Level performed flawlessly and the range is unbelieivable.
Lake kayak.jpg

• Jacek (Trance E+)
  • Anita (Como 5.0)

View attachment 100548

View attachment 100549

View attachment 100550

View attachment 100551
"As one of very few (presumably), I can perceive a horse here" :) (That's an old absurd meme I like a lot!).

View attachment 100554

View attachment 100558

View attachment 100559

View attachment 100560

View attachment 100561

View attachment 100562

View attachment 100563

View attachment 100564

View attachment 100565
Another terrific trip report with excellent photos to show us what's what and where! NO WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

A different sort of beach ā€¦

View attachment 100571
Kedron Brook + Moreton Bay + Moreton Island
This is the place to let dogs and children run wild. The kids seem to be intent on digging up the mudflats; the dogs are doing doggy things (chasing balls thrown into the water, or sniffing one another); and the mums and dads are being careful not to let more than their toes get wet.

I chose to enjoy a double-thick milkshake from the Bean & Bark espresso van, and then headed back home. Tough life.

In the distance (east), separating Moreton Bay from the Coral Sea (Pacific), is Moreton Island (world's second largest sand island). The huge sand islands are the main reason why the waters of Moreton Bay are so calm.

Out of view: to our right (south) is Brisbane Airport and to the left (north) is an important bird sanctuary.

Highway One (on the map) has neither beginning nor end: head in either direction and you'll go right around the continent.

View attachment 100572
I see you are ending a horrendously chilly WINTER! Oh, the highway circles the continent - interesting and probably unique.

Rode the trails around Glendalough state park (Minnesota) and nearby Battle Lake.
Battle Lake known for a tribal war where dozens of native Americans were slaughtered.
View attachment 100601
The leaves starting to change. Our four legged friend likes his perch in the basket and always brings a smile to everyone we pass.
View attachment 100602
View attachment 100603
Stopped and had a lovely breakfast sandwich in Battle lake city next to the Hippie Sister boutique.
View attachment 100604
Really beautiful countryside up north in Minnesota -> land of 10,000 clear crisp lakes (full of fish).
The Aventon Level performed flawlessly and the range is unbelieivable.
View attachment 100605
Thanks for sharing Minnesota and welcome aboard. I keep being amazed at the variety of e-bikes that I've never heard of. I like the statue and the juxtaposition of that TINY looking bike!

Well done. Wonderful place and no need to scan for bears, just sheep. ;)
Yes..after my canadian trip, from vancouver to Inuvik..quite a challenge.
The absolute calm of riding solo through the english forests is not to be underestimated.
The only animal of any possible danger would be the occasional bull, and they are always penned in.
I simply wouldnt do those rides if we had bears.

The absolute calm of riding solo through the english forests is not to be underestimated.
The only animal of any possible danger would be the occasional bull, and they are always penned in.
Well you set my mind straight about Englishmen. On reading about the Arctic many years ago, maybe Farley Mowatā€™s work, an incident was described where in the dawn of the 20th century two hunters, one American, the other English, were asleep in their tent in the North woods when the American woke his fellow sportsman. ā€œListen to those wolves, arenā€™t you afraid?ā€ The Englishman replied ā€œI fear only the rogue elephant.ā€

On the road to Port Angeles...

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 5.13.52 PM.png

The first part of the ride was dominated by a gas-station spicy breakfast burrito that was desperately trying to come up for air.

The second part was pleasant riding along the Olympic Discovery Trail, with lots of interesting bridges:

tempImageXCl4gS.jpg

tempImageY9aKBP.jpg

And impressive harbor side ride into town:

tempImagenlE9R1.jpg

The train looks old but a beautiful one šŸ‘.
It is certainly "quaint" :) People would be very happy if a steam engine could be used. For your entertainment:

1632193611339.png

On June 6th, 2020 I and brother were on a similar ride but only using paved roads. I spotted a STOP road-sign before a narrow gauge railroad. "Why should we stop here?" -- I laughed out -- "certainly that track is not used anymore!" Several km farther, my brother pointed to the operating train on that track... :D I could not take a proper photo but the passengers were actually waving to us from the train car windows!

jacek photo 1.jpg

The latest ride. A rare sight of me leading the group.

jacek photo 2.jpg

At the large clearing. Anita learning to use the Walk Mode on the sandy approach to the chapel.

Jacek photo 3.jpg

Jacek is fond of beer very much. Here, a good, unfiltered, locally made lager (at the Martha's Store). I tried a sip and can tell you the brewer didn't spare on hops there!

Jacek photo 4.jpg

Our group on the River Vistula. There were some other MTBers on a trip there. (I could spot a large group on XC bikes admiring an old Hollander church nearby). Interestingly, we had several short 9% climbs on the route. (My Vado SL with modified gearing -- 42-36t the lowest gear -- could barely clear such inclines; the traditional bike rider had to walk her bike up; Ania developed her knee ache at such climbs).

Jacek photo 5.jpg

By the Black Cat ornament in the Hollander Land. Jacek took that photo from the River Vistula embankment (that he climbed easily with his Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro).

Last edited:
Walking back from dinner tonight (while in Jasper) we came across a bear warning sign placed along the sidewalk in the neighborhood where we were staying. Kind of freaked me out at first but I presume this is a common sight among the locals particularly since itā€™s the start of the fall season. Oddly enough we didnā€™t recall seeing these here when we were visiting the town around the same time last year.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/jasper/bulletins/9443AD2F-CB0A-402D-878F-7ED5118F845E?v=a&v=a

On our ride this morning out to Athabasca Falls from the townsite along Hwy 93A, we parked our bikes by a gravel pull out and walked up a nearby embankment to take some photos and almost immediately stepped in a pile of bear scat at the top. It didnā€™t appear to be fresh. However, that isnā€™t an excuse to let oneā€™s guard down and we departed the area almost as quick as when we arrived.

Equipped for adventure ā€¦

Streamers flying on the BVRT

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
  • Trek Rail 7 with Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyres and stubby mudguards.
  • Bird-scare tape ā€“ sparkly and a bit noisy ā€“ to entertain the magpies.
  • Sunscreen sleeves plus lotion attached to backpack. Better still, add a Da Brim to your helmetā€¦
Sunny day on the BVRT

Walking back from dinner tonight (while in Jasper) we came across a bear warning sign placed along the sidewalk in the neighborhood where we were staying. Kind of freaked me out at first but I presume this is a common sight among the locals particularly since itā€™s the start of the fall season. Oddly enough we didnā€™t recall seeing these here when we were visiting the town around the same time last year.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/jasper/bulletins/9443AD2F-CB0A-402D-878F-7ED5118F845E?v=a&v=a

On our ride this morning out to Athabasca Falls from the townsite along Hwy 93A, we parked our bikes by a gravel pull out and walked up a nearby embankment to take some photos and almost immediately stepped in a pile of bear scat at the top. It didnā€™t appear to be fresh. However, that isnā€™t an excuse to let oneā€™s guard down and we departed the area almost as quick as when we arrived.
I believe I wrote about our extended backpack outside of Jasper and the constant THOUGHT alone of THEM made the trip somewhat uncomfortable. My partner thinks of the wilderness as her sanctuary and likes the silence and occasionally strolling alone. We were joined at the hip and constantly singing and tinkling our bells. Anything but peaceful silence. When above treeline, it was not as bad. In brush, it was frightening. I had to make one midnight stroll to the facility. I heard a crashing noise and totally panicked. Flashlight darting here and there. Pulled the pin on the bear spray and thrashed my way back to the tent. It was probably a deer but .... (that reminds me, it was 20 years ago this month)

Like you, we were hiking in Glacier National Park and hit the high point of a hike and turned around. On the way back down there was a FRESH large pile of scat on the trail which had not been there before. We reported it to the rangers.

But then I do have my funny story - funny to me, at least. On a six day ski trip in Alaska, we were still hiking on the road. My friend was a "bear nut" but I was with another guy in the lead. Came across the pile of older scat. I carefully took my aim and urinated on the pile, moistening it well. The other guy said that will never work. Oh, boy, did it. The other two finally caught up to us and shouted, did you see that fresh scat. We feigned innocence and said we saw nothing. He talked about it for about and hour or more when I finally fessed up. I loved it. :eek:

On the Bowron Lakes Canoe route way back when, we sought out grizzlies or, at least, their tracks. I no longer do things like that.

Equipped for adventure ā€¦

View attachment 100684
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
  • Trek Rail 7 with Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyres and stubby mudguards.
  • Bird-scare tape ā€“ sparkly and a bit noisy ā€“ to entertain the magpies.
  • Sunscreen sleeves plus lotion attached to backpack. Better still, add a Da Brim to your helmetā€¦
View attachment 100685
I thought those bottles were hanging from those streamers. I forgot about your magpie problem! :p I purchased Da Brim but have not yet attached it. A friend has one which inspired me - my dermatologist would be happy if I employed rather than just buying it.

Rode To A Hairdresser On My Vado SL :)

1632246676999.png

I swear I shaved myself prior to the ride! :D I asked Mrs. Krysia for a haircut adequate to wearing balaclava and the winter helmet.

We are experiencing a short period of cold weather. Base layer, inner jersey, outer jacket. Balaclava, skiing helmet, goggles. Gloves. Hiking boots. I felt warm and comfortable despite of cold wind. I was testing Vado SL as a commuter e-bike, so I rode it on the internal battery in Turbo Mode. Predicted range would be 36 km (22 mile): that's okay. Did some shopping, too.

Good news: Tested covid negative. Took the expensive PCR test with translation to English (it is mandatory to be admitted to the UK). I have already paid for Covid Day 2 Test in UK, so now I can fill the Passenger Locator Form for the British Govt. If the British let me in (the last time with a national ID possible), then I'm happy!

1632247445371.png

It was only the second time the BLEvo app let me down. Occasionally, the produced GPX/TCX/FIT file gets corrupted. Luckily, I can retrieve all the information minus the ride map from BLEvo!

Last edited:
Back