Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Been on the historical border between the Kingdoms of Poland and Hungary.

20210820_110201.jpg

Screenshot_20210820-164208_Strava.jpg

Nowadays, the border crossing between Poland and Slovakia is unguarded, and there is a wooden observation tower with a perfect view onto the Slovak "Polonina National Park". Had a chance to take pictures of a narrow-gauge Bieszczady Forest Railroad (steam engine included). Finally, I could photograph the actual ride of the Bike Railroad Carts in Uherce, too!
😊

P.S. Now I am on a quite lengthy car to Krynica-Zdrój (a resort/spa town in Lesser Beskid). Sleepy!

Last edited:
View attachment 97222

Its hard to follow @Prairie Dog's amazing pictures, they are truly breathtaking!

Another perfect day for cycling with a temp of 15C and very light winds, no need for the second battery today! It was overcast but no sign of rain so I'm not complaining, I was flying along today on fantastic roads! :D This road never fails to make me smile, this is just before the big descent which is such a buzz!

View attachment 97224
View attachment 97225

Some of the back roads had lots of gravel scattered on them due to the recent heavy rain but thankfully it was mostly near the centre of the road and easy to avoid! I just can't praise my amazing bike highly enough, without doubt its the best purchase I have ever made! 16,388 miles covered in 3 years and 4 months says it all, I hope it lasts for many more years! I said I would use my old hybrid occasionally but its almost impossible to leave my e bike behind, its just too much fun!:D

I'm looking forward to Sunday already but it will be a shorter ride this time, if only I could get away with doing a 100 miler every weekend!;) I have done 5 this year though so I'm very lucky, hopefully more to come before the year is out!🤞All going well I hope to head further north when time allows, I really want to ride over Ben Lawers in the Highlands again which is awesome on the right day! The mountain is just under 4,000ft in elevation but the paved road only goes up to 1,800ft! This was where I had to get a lift back to my car years ago when I got a puncture that I couldn't repair! I would have to go next month at the latest as it will be virtually impassable from October onwards!

No doubt @Chargeride could reach the top of it with ease!;) The fun part is the descent of course , my favourite part as long as they haven't released the cows again which I came across on my motorbike years ago! They made a right mess of the road, as cows do!🤣 One time I was at the top of the climb and 3 RAF Tornados shot past in the valley below, they were too fast for me to get a photo but what a sight that was!
I’ve lost track of times when I wish that I could simply step out of the house, ride and not have to travel far to take in the beauty of the natural surroundings. I’m envious of you and others who can indulge in that luxury. The images that you post in the forum speak for themselves. 👍

Becoming an ‘eligible resident’ of a national park is one way to get up and close to the mountains but for most people that’s simply not achievable. A small vacation property in a bedroom community such as Cochrane/Canmore is still a dream for most. So, until I win the lottery, I’ll continue pursuing the dream.

I’ve lost track of times when I wish that I could simply step out of the house, ride and not have to travel far to take in the beauty of the natural surroundings. I’m envious of you and others who can indulge in that luxury. The images that you post in the forum speak for themselves. 👍

Becoming an ‘eligible resident’ of a national park is one way to get up and close to the mountains but for most people that’s simply not achievable. A small vacation property in a bedroom community such as Cochrane/Canmore is still a dream for most. So, until I win the lottery, I’ll continue pursuing the dream.
Well let me tell ya PD, to those of us in the scrub lands ... Red Deer ain't just chopped liva! 🤣

Well let me tell ya PD, to those of us in the scrub lands ... Red Deer ain't just chopped liva! 🤣
True enough Reed. I guess over these past few weeks the mountain air has infected my sense of reality. ;) We’re truly blessed to have rolling prairies/parkland in our backyard and the local MTB trails ain’t too shabby either. 👍

Time to dry out …

Australasian Darter

Australasian Darter
Gayundah Wreck, Woody Point
A week or so ago, we were swapping notes on darters (anhingas) and cormorants.

Fortunately, I knew the location of their favourite drying out spot: the wreck of the old gunship HMQS* Gayundah. I stopped by on last Friday's and this Monday's rides up the Moreton Bay Cycleway, but no one was 'at home'.

Undeterred (aka stubborn), I diverted to the old wreck this morning, and there was the wanted bird, perched at the far end of the wreck and pretending not to notice – back toward me but keeping a beady eye just the same.

Click!
————————
* HMQS : Her Majesty's (Victoria) Queensland Ship​
Ostensibly, the Gayundah was here to deter a Russian invasion. Clearly this was a wise military decision because the Tzar's navy left us alone (probably hadn't heard of of the far-flung colony named in Victoria's honour). The gunship was usefully employed firing off ceremonial salutes (which startled the resident darters and cormorants, no doubt) before being ignominiously converted into a gravel barge, and finally run aground at the southern end of the Redcliffe Peninsula to stabilise the promenade. The great-great-great (etcetera) grandchicks of the startled seabirds of more than a century ago have claimed ownership and are leaving their own mark on this disappearing maritime folly.​

HMQS Gayundah, Woody Point, Redcliffe Peninsula

The Gayundah (from a previous post—click), minus today's complement of seabirds. That drat darter chose to perch on the furthest point (sternpost?) of the wreck. It was probably the best spot to keep a lookout across the bay.

Wreck of the Gayundah, Woody Point

Last edited by a moderator:
Off to see my dad for a few days, might make a video.see how it goes.
He lives in a litttle Devon town called Churchstow, where we used to live.
Ive posted a few vids of the area.
I'll try to make a different style.
Its quite posh..the London set buy up all the houses and tbh its basically Englands Riviera.
My dad is very posh but not remotely well off.
He was an actor, singer , womaniser, drinker and now hes living the slow life in a tiny cottage on very little money, but is content as can be with his little 1950s A30 Austin car.
Him and the place reset my mind.

Off to see my dad for a few days, might make a video.see how it goes.
He lives in a litttle Devon town called Churchstow, where we used to live.
Ive posted a few vids of the area.
I'll try to make a different style.
Its quite posh..the London set buy up all the houses and tbh its basically Englands Riviera.
My dad is very posh but not remotely well off.
He was an actor, singer , womaniser, drinker and now hes living the slow life in a tiny cottage on very little money, but is content as can be with his little 1950s A30 Austin car.
Him and the place reset my mind.
Your Pop sounds like a swell guy and going back to visit with him will for certain stir up plenty of memories despite the changes to the surroundings. Look forward to the vid.

After Having Had Drunk "Anna"
Healing Water in Wysowa-Zdrój,

I got so much of courage I not only climbed the Holy Mt. Yavor (the holiest place for Łemko ethnicity) but also crossed the Slovak border by a hiking mountain trail. All on or with my mountainworthy Vado 😁

A lot of photos that I will post next week.

Screenshot_20210821-180832_Strava.jpg

I hope I won't forget all the adventures I had before I get home! 😁

20210821_140259-01.jpeg

Mt Busov, the tallest mountain range in the Low Beskid (Slovakia) as seen from the south. I was at pretty high altitude there, after a morderous climb. (With more to come).

P.S. Now I'm in another spa, quiet Piwniczna-Zdrój. An excellent new private hotel with Booking.com rating of 9.1, and not overly expensive! I can feel like in heaven! I'm only not sure where I'd ride tomorrow. Slovakia, perhaps? Need some Euros!

Last edited:

Yes I'm very fortunate to be able to cycle from my doorstep and enjoy amazing roads and nice scenery! 👍I prefer that to transporting my bike but sometimes it is more than worth the effort, especially for your good self!

1629635528948.png

Yesterday it rained all day and the forecast wasn't looking that promising today with the threat of fog until around 10am, thankfully it had dispersed when I set off at 8.30am! Although it was very misty and overcast the conditions were pretty much perfect for cycling, no wind and 15C! It did threaten to rain a few times but it was just the odd sprinkle, the roads were pretty wet after yesterdays rain but no flooding thankfully! This photo sums up the conditions throughout the morning!

1629635947912.jpeg

Pretty wet roads but very little traffic so I was in heaven!
1629636010590.jpeg

Not a bad place to enjoy the scenery when the weather is more pleasant!
1629636129959.jpeg

I got quite a workout today with over 3,400ft of climbing but some of the descents more than made up for it, it was such a fantastic ride once again! The roads were very busy on my way home, most unusual for a Sunday but everybody was well behaved! The weather is looking pretty good all week so all going well I will be adding more rides to this awesome thread, its such a joy reading about everybody's adventures!👍

Attachments

• elevation_profile324.jpg
    elevation_profile324.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 129
  • trip-73725473-map-full239.png
    trip-73725473-map-full239.png
    443.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20210822_093805.jpg
    20210822_093805.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 20210822_093950.jpg
    20210822_093950.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 20210822_095226.jpg
    20210822_095226.jpg
    755.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 20210822_095235.jpg
    20210822_095235.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210822_095249.jpg
    20210822_095249.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 20210822_095254.jpg
    20210822_095254.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210822_095257.jpg
    20210822_095257.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210822_095426.jpg
    20210822_095426.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20210822_095435.jpg
    20210822_095435.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 129
Three Crowns Mt. As Seen From Slovakia

There is 60 km of dangerous and uninspiring road between two Polish spa towns Piwniczna, and Szczawnica. If you tried to get there on the Slovak side, you would have to leave your car in Lesnica, then walk.

I found riding from Piwniczna to Szczawnica on the Slovak side was only 45 km of exciting mountain road ride. Actually, I thought I would be locked by mountains in Slovakia! Not. You cannot drive to Poland from Lesnica. You can, however, walk, ride, or take a raft trip on River Dunajec.

Three Crowns are hidden from good view at the Polish side. You need to take a raft to actually see it! Yet, our Triple Crown is fully exposed from the Slovak side...
20210822_135753-01.jpeg

Three Crowns Mt. is the peak at the left hand side. Of course, I took many interesting pictures for future use.

Screenshot_20210822-193446_Strava.jpg

I was even in a road race downhill with a Slovak roadie! 😁 I managed to catch up with him at the bottom and we had a short pleasant talk 😊

I'm now at a comfortable apartment in a villa over the Czorsztyn Lake. I can even see the High Tatra mountains from here!
20210822_200445-01.jpeg

P.S. Bad news: raining. Leaving Podhale (the Tatra region) for home at the first light of the day.

Last edited:
Three Crowns Mt. As Seen From Slovakia

There is 60 km of dangerous and uninspiring road between two Polish spa towns Piwniczna, and Szczawnica. If you tried to get there on the Slovak side, you would have to leave your car in Lesnica, then walk.
Biking from spa to spa - you might have hit upon the secret to getting my wife interested in biking with me!

I kid, but I've actually spent an embarrassing amount of time this week after reading @Prairie Dog 's posts looking up all the spots in British Columbia and Alberta I haven't been in 15-20 years. You could put together a pretty nice bike tour going from hot spring to hot spring up there.

Biking from spa to spa - you might have hit upon the secret to getting my wife interested in biking with me!
I'm not sure what the Canadian spas are like but most of the Polish ones feel a disgrace to me. These seem to be a partying haven for crowds. The air of festivity is unbearable for me (some distant spas are quiet enough).

I could see a really old man wearing a white shirt, red pants and white moccasins: a typical heart breaker. He said to his newly met female companion: "It is my nineteenth season here. I'm rheumatic". And I started wondering at what age he went to the sanatorium for the first time... 19 yearly seasons of partying! 😁

I kid, but I've actually spent an embarrassing amount of time this week after reading @Prairie Dog 's posts looking up all the spots in British Columbia and Alberta I haven't been in 15-20 years. You could put together a pretty nice bike tour going from hot spring to hot spring up there.
That’s what is so great about this thread. So many wonderful people and places and being able to connect with them and share the same vivid images that they see through their camera lenses.

@RabH, @David Berry, and @Stefan Mikes immediately come to mind. There are plenty of others here of which I likely have failed to mention.

The Icefields Parkway (or sections of it) between Jasper and Banff is certainly a trip to consider if you get the opportunity to do so. Plenty of chances to sight see along the route as well as in both of those townsites and the wife would appreciate the hot springs in Banff. Can’t think of anything better than a good soak after a long day of cycling. Fall season would likely be a wise time to make travel plans as the summer hordes are gone and accommodation rates would be more attractive.

https://www.banfflakelouise.com/ban...MIh_Sg45zG8gIVZQnnCh0yxQgmEAAYASAAEgL9bfD_BwE

Back