Ongoing issues with LMTD

Hey Fn’F,

I missed the part where you admired if I had any dead kc rollers. I don’t. All the controllers I have will be going back to R1U. But based upon the info on the faq, I would not say they were dead, but acting the way R1U says they should. Maybe I need to drop some
Lbs and build up my legs. I can tell you that I was not in the lowest gear in those hills.

Okay. There's the doublespeak, again.
"The PAS will stop providing assist if there is too much resistance for the motor. Also, there is overheat protection for the motor and controller"
Then:
"... you could still over heat the controller or motor if the rider is too tired to pedal hard enough to provide enough assist. In this situation, using a slightly lower PAS or limiting your AMPS in your display settings, may improve your ability to continue riding this hill in the future. This will also lower the amount of Amps being sent to the motor. In general, the more amps sent, the faster something can over heat. By adjusting to one of the lower settings, you will reduce the amount of amps being sent to the motor during this prolonged climb."
So, the "overheat protection" is the Display's setting's for (a) the PAS, and or, (b) the Current Limit, and if you don't limit the current, the motor/ controller can still overheat.
..........................................................................................
Update:
Tired of 'playing telephone', I've been in touch with the MXUS factory, re: "best controller for FX19".
Specs are: 30amp (1440watt) x 15amp (720watt) controller (Cough, cough, "Do I hear an echo of days, long ago?" Jimi Hendrix).
Well, I can actually say "Yeah. I knew that" and "like duh, 750watts on the boogie - and it can devour 1500 when stressed out".
I'm gonna order a couple.
You, or anyone that wants one, speak up. I'm paying on April 1.
No idea if this'll work w/ motors, but unless current is limited, it'd probably fry a 700. The stock, 11 (528) x 22amp (1056watt) controller is actually perfect to pull the best performance, while not burning out for a 500 x 750watt motor.
Also, it could be we need to use their displays as well. I'm asking about that now.
Happy. Happy. Happy but still,

Fn'F

Hey Fn’F,

I missed the part where you admired if I had any dead kc rollers. I don’t. All the controllers I have will be going back to R1U. But based upon the info on the faq, I would not say they were dead, but acting the way R1U says they should. Maybe I need to drop some
Lbs and build up my legs. I can tell you that I was not in the lowest gear in those hills.
No worries. We get the right juice for the ceviche, n' she's a cook quick.

Fn'F

Yeah, I made that change first thing when I got my 700.
Do you know what brand/ model the PAS is on the Ltd ?
I've been in touch with the MXUS factory. Here's the gospel:
(1) The Ltd's XF19C motor is a 500watt motor. While the freewheel "XF19" and the "XF19R" models are 1000watts, MXUS does not and will not make 750 x 1000Watt Cassette version of the XF19.
(2) There is no thermistor or "heat protection" on this motor. To order it with a thermistor, eliminates the use of the Hall Sensor circuitry.
-
If you like I can send you a cut and paste of the thrice answered questions/ responses.
Sure would appreciate info on that PAS. If it's a Sempu, in 2019 - 20, Grin says 20% failed and the symptom is erratic PAS.

Interesti
(1) The Ltd's XF19C motor is a 500watt motor. While the freewheel "XF19" and the "XF19R" models are 1000watts, MXUS does not and will not make 750 x 1000Watt Cassette version of the XF19.
(2) There is no thermistor or "heat protection" on this motor. To order it with a thermistor, eliminates the use of the Hall Sensor circuitry.
-
If you like I can send you a cut and paste of the thrice answered questions/ responses.
Sure would appreciate info on that PAS. If it's a Sempu, in 2019 - 20, Grin says 20% failed and the symptom is erratic PAS.
Interesting. Ride1Up says it's 750 W nominal. "750W MXUS Geared Hub-Motor (750W nominal, 1000W peak) for the LMT'd"

I don't know about the bottom bracket torque sensor. Someone posted a picture from their LMT'D a while back.

Last edited:
-
Who answered you from MXUS? They clearly did not know as that information is not correct.

It's normal functionality for power to cut out on shallow hills. Try riding downhill or on flat ground. You're expecting too much from the LMT'D. :D
There you go again. "It's normal functionality for power to cut out on shallow hills"??? 😂
We're being told it's heat protection.
Quoting the same people for veracity, that are giving out the suspect info is an appeal to authority fallacy -- simply because it proves the conclusion one started with, when the conclusion is obtained from that very "suspect" source. It's "bootstrapping". A self supporting argument.
If one tells such folks different, they spring into an 'ad hominem' attack, insinuating the victim, who's unrealistic expectations and ignorance are born out by the authority being relied upon, is the fault.
So, I got with (God) the MXUS factory in China. Here's a cut and paste from one of our communications about my order of the XF19C's with the OPTIONAL temp sensor (thermistor).
Reply from:
Mrs. Hxxx Xxxx
Changzhou Huayuxinfeng Motor Co.
1. Motor has hall sensor, do not have temperasure (sic) sensor, do you need the thermistor for checking the temperasure. If use temperasure sensor, your motor will be without hall sensor.
No need to 'cast chicken bones' for an answer. I asked MXUS several times, trying to order a motor with the thermistor.
FACTOID: Ltd's have a current limiting circuit -- not "heat protection", overcurrent protection.
Think in reverse. 🤔If a thermistor, used to detect heat uses controller software that converts the heat detected into "current" draw statistics, the software, guestimating the current using algorithms based on heat, is extrapolating the "potential current use", not real use.
The same is true in reverse.
-
You recommend: "Try riding downhill or on flat ground" ??? That's how you ride? That's what you expect out of your e-bike?
Mike has a 100% normal riding style with 100% normal expectations for this machine.
"You're expecting too much from the LMT'D"
--- okay, now it's the machine. You know this how, again?
Your solution is to lower his expectations? Think small Mike. No disappointments there. Uh, no.
No, 'cutting out' as described is not "normal" for these bikes - maybe another brand, whatever, but projecting a 250watt 🍋converted bicycle's performance on a powerful, purpose built machine is inane. My Lt'd 💪 flies up a 2 block long, 20 -- 25 degree hill every day I ride. Never cuts out - except when the battery is below 60%, and then power CONSITENTLY reduces a bit at the very end of the grade - but I to have had intermittent problems. Like my speedo that came on yesterday, then reverted to showing 1/10 the real speed, to completely failing, back and forth. Now that it's dialed in (thanks to you again for constructive input), the bike is blazing fast and pulls like a freight train.
I'm (generally) still accelerating (if cars don't get in the way) at the top, when I get off the throttle and make my turn 200 feet later.
So, whatever. Call it "normal", but if you can shed light on the cause of this "normal" behavior, perhaps Mike can make it 'abnormal', unlike in your personal e-bike experiences. 🤩
I'm not certain of the answer, but I know your reply to Mike ain't it and it's frustrating when we see you have so much experience.
My discussions with MXUS revealed a bunch of heretofore not addressed, and incorrect 'facts' about this bikes parts. I just laid out one (heat protection). That's not even the half of it.
-
So GxR, thinking in reverse again, I have a question for you: What if the 1000watt controller is actually overloading what's really a 500watt motor being incorrectly touted as a 1000watt motor?
Wouldn't that cause cutting-out?

Regards,

Fn'F

Interesti

Interesting. Ride1Up says it's 750 W nominal. "750W MXUS Geared Hub-Motor (750W nominal, 1000W peak) for the LMT'd"

I don't know about the bottom bracket torque sensor. Someone posted this picture from their LMT'D a while back.

View attachment 83726
Yes. That is helpful. Now I have a visual of what I need to disassemble. Wishing for pics of complete numbers and Mod/ Maker info.
TY

Who answered you from MXUS? They clearly did not know as that information is not correct.
Not sure what you mean. There is only one MXUS factory sales rep I know of, so I dealt with the same MXUS factory Rep lady that I did a year ago.
Okay, I'll publish it for anyone that cares to check themselves.
HTB13pRFXcIrBKNjSZK9q6ygoVXaS.jpg_50x50.jpg

Mrs. Hedy Zhang
Changzhou Huayuxinfeng Motor Co., Ltd.
-
I told them I was certain it was "1000watts" and had to really work to get them to even talk to me again.
It was abundantly clear they were insulted that I persisted in such "1000watt" nonsense.
Rep: "we do not make 48v 1000W XF19 Cassette motor".
Rep: "Motor has hall sensor, do not have temperasure sensor, do you need the thermistor for checking the temperasure. If use temperasure sensor, your motor will be without hall sensor."
Rep: "XF19C is 48v 500w cassette(8-10S) motor. XF19 is just normal freewheel motor(6S), can be 48v 500w and 1000w. Can you understand it? "
Rep: (When I sent a photo of the MXUS Serial Numbers) "yes, it is cassette. just 500w".
and again. Rep: "this one just 500w, can not be 1000w"
Rep: "Hello [Xxxx], Thanks for your inquiry about motor kit. XF19 cassette motor can be 500w, but not 1000w.
I even asked if they would custom make a 1000watt Cassette version and how many would I have to order? They again replied NO, they do not make a 1000watt version of the XF19.
-
Perhaps best if you ask then and you publish the facts, from the MXUS factory - as I did - with their cut-and-paste answers ?
In your defense, when you say "They [MXUS] clearly did not know as that information is not correct", you may have have inadvertently purchased 500watt XF19C 68nm motors, you believed were the 1000watt, 100nm XF19 or XF19R.
What would be best is total transparency in R1U's parts and build.
These bikes are arguably supposed to be a hands-on machines requiring the owners to maintain. Owners are ill served by not supplying/ making available full assembly/ disassembly manuals and complete list of the specs/ dimensions/ make/ model number of the parts - even if they were parts you rebranded to keep control of sales - if you have them available. The parts aren't proprietary.
Thank you and anxious to hear your explanation.

Fn'F

4 different controllers and still having problems? Unacceptable. Time to spend a little more and buy a Trek.
Did you mean "A LOT MORE MONEY" and a lot of other problems too"?
"I have a Trek Powerfly 7. I am having the same problem with the controller and display goes blank as well. I have used only the original battery. Bike in shop now for 5 weeks. Also have problem with power shutting down when riding downhill. Now they are thinking bad solder connections!?! Not a happy rider!"
Poor powerfly owner should 'a bought two R1U's instead !

Fn'F

Knocking a "run"? I'm just saying that I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time working out controller issues. Seems like a lot of people had issues with them. 4 might be a record, though. I don't really "need" any ebike, it's more of a "want" for me. The Core-5 or 700 might be safer bet.

I would recommend riding further to test the new controller including up some big hills.
Knocking a "run"? I'm just saying that I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time working out controller issues. Seems like a lot of people had issues with them. 4 might be a record, though. I don't really "need" any ebike, it's more of a "want" for me. The Core-5 or 700 might be safer bet.Core 5
Reply: Your alternatives both have the same controller as the Ltd.
From R1u's website:
Controller 48V22A Lishui Sine-wave (potential peak output of 1000w)
700 Controller 48V22A Lishui Sine-wave (potential peak output of 1000w)
Ltd Controller 48V22A Lishui Sine-wave (potential peak output of 1000w)
Scared of 'issues' ? Buy a $10,000.00 bike and full service contract.
Of the +100 Million e bikes out there, yes, like automobile fuel delivery (carburetors) they had a lot of issues developing controllers.
"Need" and "want" infer your lack of possession. I'm sure you don't and you'll find things change when you actually own one.
Better to spend time educating oneself, than fearing removing a screw.

thanks (wow)

Fn'F
eleanorroosevelt1-2x.jpg

Not sure what you mean. There is only one MXUS factory sales rep I know of, so I dealt with the same MXUS factory Rep lady that I did a year ago.
Okay, I'll publish it for anyone that cares to check themselves.

Mrs. Hedy Zhang
Changzhou Huayuxinfeng Motor Co., Ltd.
-
I told them I was certain it was "1000watts" and had to really work to get them to even talk to me again.
It was abundantly clear they were insulted that I persisted in such "1000watt" nonsense.
Rep: "we do not make 48v 1000W XF19 Cassette motor".
Rep: "Motor has hall sensor, do not have temperasure sensor, do you need the thermistor for checking the temperasure. If use temperasure sensor, your motor will be without hall sensor."
Rep: "XF19C is 48v 500w cassette(8-10S) motor. XF19 is just normal freewheel motor(6S), can be 48v 500w and 1000w. Can you understand it? "
Rep: (When I sent a photo of the MXUS Serial Numbers) "yes, it is cassette. just 500w".
and again. Rep: "this one just 500w, can not be 1000w"
Rep: "Hello [Xxxx], Thanks for your inquiry about motor kit. XF19 cassette motor can be 500w, but not 1000w.
I even asked if they would custom make a 1000watt Cassette version and how many would I have to order? They again replied NO, they do not make a 1000watt version of the XF19.
-
Perhaps best if you ask then and you publish the facts, from the MXUS factory - as I did - with their cut-and-paste answers ?
In your defense, when you say "They [MXUS] clearly did not know as that information is not correct", you may have have inadvertently purchased 500watt XF19C 68nm motors, you believed were the 1000watt, 100nm XF19 or XF19R.
What would be best is total transparency in R1U's parts and build.
These bikes are arguably supposed to be a hands-on machines requiring the owners to maintain. Owners are ill served by not supplying/ making available full assembly/ disassembly manuals and complete list of the specs/ dimensions/ make/ model number of the parts - even if they were parts you rebranded to keep control of sales - if you have them available. The parts aren't proprietary.
Thank you and anxious to hear your explanation.

Fn'F
Honestly, I can't follow what you are talking about in your posts. I will reiterate the take away message. The information you received is not accurate. You are simply talking to a sales person who likely will not discuss a custom order or product type for you. When you order 5,000 units per year, it is a different story.

Honestly, I can't follow what you are talking about in your posts. I will reiterate the take away message. The information you received is not accurate. You are simply talking to a sales person who likely will not discuss a custom order or product type for you. When you order 5,000 units per year, it is a different story.

You asked, I posted (cut & paste) what they said. If you can't follow what I'm talking about in [my] posts, how do you deny the information posted?
I'm saying: if one asks MXUS factory direct - and to anyone reading this, they answer quickly - the "XF19C Cassette Motors are 500watts.
The 1000watt motors are the XF19 and XF19R, not the "Cassette" XF19C version.
-
I asked MXUS about (at any scale) creating an XF19C (cassette version) 1000watt custom build and they made clear over, and over: "Don't you understand" ... "NO" ..."Cassette version is 500watts only".
Your comments are in red. Colors may make it easier to follow.
I "simply talked to a sales rep"? Not being snide, but who do you order from ???
Hedy Zhan is the sales rep.
Her bio says she has been with MXUS for 13 years.

Hedy Zhang
13YRS
Changzhou
-
She's the same person on every ad MXUS has on Alibaba. You cannot get around her, she's in charge, knows her business and as long as I've been in conversations with MXUS, she's been THE sales rep in charge of SALES, or what's legally known as "a most knowledgeable person."
Hedy Zhang's the same and only "sales rep" I've seen on their site since my dealings with them back in early 2020, before I ever heard of you. This conversation, specific to the XF19C began on 2021-01-10 @16:09 GMT - January 10th.
You "order 5000 units [of these MXUS FX19C motors] per year" ? Congratulations, I love mine. Astounding, considering the entire MXUS' revenue last year was only $2.5 million. Their North American market is 8% of that revenue = $200,000. "5000 units" means you are by far their no.1 customer in North America. When I dropped your name and a picture of the serial number on my motor, why do they act like 'Yeah, Ride 1 up, so what' and say: "it's still a 500 watt motor"???
Intentionally downgrading the power information, killing the North American golden-egg laying goose, they have nothing to gain by telling me they CANNOT make 1000Watt cassette XF19C, but money to lose. It costs them business.
"You are simply talking to a sales person who likely will not discuss a custom order or product type for you." ????
Actually, that's precisely what I inquired of MXUS, before the pandemic lockdown in 2020 and now, since Jan 10 have been inquiring about: A custom volume order of this product type.
I currently have a pending "custom order" of multiple MXUS motors and associated electronics that this controversy is holding things up.
This issue must be resolved. Both stories cannot be correct and if MXUS is misleading me I certainly won't be ordering anything from them.
Trust but verify. I'm sure you agree and don't have a problem with.
-
Unsupported 'Trust me, I know, not the factory' prefaced statements, contrary to the factory sales rep" (which I extensively questioned, over a period of months, looking for a way to believe the XF19C is a 1000watt motor) aside, nothing you've brought up is helpful.
Raising possible flaws in the communication; inferring 'they only deal with us, not you', then saying: I will reiterate the take away message - so apparently you, not a person most knowledgeable are repeating what you've been told and are not informed by MXUS.
I understand, but I as an owner require accurate documentation and R1U can fix this in 10 minutes.
Simply post the motor build sheet and/ or information from MXUS that verifies the motor's wattage.
-
Please keep in mind I only discovered the discrepancy while looking for a (real) THERAMAL PROTECTED version of the XF19C w/ thermistor.
That problem also stems from 'a bad information issue' where owners are confronted with double talk inferring 'measuring current' is = 'measuring heat', and thus erroneously calling "current limiting" "thermal limiting". The responses made the problem a timewaster for owners and to some had an air of disguising the facts.
If Ride 1 Up is selling 5000 Limited's every year, I'd think they'd immediately and transparently clarify the standard being used to label their XF19C Motor "100nm 48volt 1000watts", show documentation verifying and tell us why it's not the same "68nm 48volt 500Watts FX12C" cassette motor, the MXUS factory say's it is..

Thank you,

Fn'F

You asked, I posted (cut & paste) what they said. If you can't follow what I'm talking about in [my] posts, how do you deny the information posted?
I'm saying: if one asks MXUS factory direct - and to anyone reading this, they answer quickly - the "XF19C Cassette Motors are 500watts.
The 1000watt motors are the XF19 and XF19R, not the "Cassette" XF19C version.
-
I asked MXUS about (at any scale) creating an XF19C (cassette version) 1000watt custom build and they made clear over, and over: "Don't you understand" ... "NO" ..."Cassette version is 500watts only".
Your comments are in red. Colors may make it easier to follow.
I "simply talked to a sales rep"? Not being snide, but who do you order from ???
Hedy Zhan is the sales rep.
Her bio says she has been with MXUS for 13 years.

Hedy Zhang
13YRS
Changzhou
-
She's the same person on every ad MXUS has on Alibaba. You cannot get around her, she's in charge, knows her business and as long as I've been in conversations with MXUS, she's been THE sales rep in charge of SALES, or what's legally known as "a most knowledgeable person."
Hedy Zhang's the same and only "sales rep" I've seen on their site since my dealings with them back in early 2020, before I ever heard of you. This conversation, specific to the XF19C began on 2021-01-10 @16:09 GMT - January 10th.
You "order 5000 units [of these MXUS FX19C motors] per year" ? Congratulations, I love mine. Astounding, considering the entire MXUS' revenue last year was only $2.5 million. Their North American market is 8% of that revenue = $200,000. "5000 units" means you are by far their no.1 customer in North America. When I dropped your name and a picture of the serial number on my motor, why do they act like 'Yeah, Ride 1 up, so what' and say: "it's still a 500 watt motor"???
Intentionally downgrading the power information, killing the North American golden-egg laying goose, they have nothing to gain by telling me they CANNOT make 1000Watt cassette XF19C, but money to lose. It costs them business.
"You are simply talking to a sales person who likely will not discuss a custom order or product type for you." ????
Actually, that's precisely what I inquired of MXUS, before the pandemic lockdown in 2020 and now, since Jan 10 have been inquiring about: A custom volume order of this product type.
I currently have a pending "custom order" of multiple MXUS motors and associated electronics that this controversy is holding things up.
This issue must be resolved. Both stories cannot be correct and if MXUS is misleading me I certainly won't be ordering anything from them.
Trust but verify. I'm sure you agree and don't have a problem with.
-
Unsupported 'Trust me, I know, not the factory' prefaced statements, contrary to the factory sales rep" (which I extensively questioned, over a period of months, looking for a way to believe the XF19C is a 1000watt motor) aside, nothing you've brought up is helpful.
Raising possible flaws in the communication; inferring 'they only deal with us, not you', then saying: I will reiterate the take away message - so apparently you, not a person most knowledgeable are repeating what you've been told and are not informed by MXUS.
I understand, but I as an owner require accurate documentation and R1U can fix this in 10 minutes.
Simply post the motor build sheet and/ or information from MXUS that verifies the motor's wattage.
-
Please keep in mind I only discovered the discrepancy while looking for a (real) THERAMAL PROTECTED version of the XF19C w/ thermistor.
That problem also stems from 'a bad information issue' where owners are confronted with double talk inferring 'measuring current' is = 'measuring heat', and thus erroneously calling "current limiting" "thermal limiting". The responses made the problem a timewaster for owners and to some had an air of disguising the facts.
If Ride 1 Up is selling 5000 Limited's every year, I'd think they'd immediately and transparently clarify the standard being used to label their XF19C Motor "100nm 48volt 1000watts", show documentation verifying and tell us why it's not the same "68nm 48volt 500Watts FX12C" cassette motor, the MXUS factory say's it is..

Thank you,

Fn'F
Hello FNF, I didn't have the time to read all that, I apologize. As mentioned, the MXUS motor we use doesn't have "thermal limiting". Did a customer support rep from our team tell you otherwise?
The MXUS motor we use is 750w nominal. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with.
*added idea - You could just email them and ask them if they will provide their ratings on the motors they supply us. That would simplify things.

Hello FNF, I didn't have the time to read all that, I apologize. As mentioned, the MXUS motor we use doesn't have "thermal limiting". Did a customer support rep from our team tell you otherwise? A: No, but the rumor it did was prominent and requires a definitive answer and this is the first time I've "NO it does not". Perhaps I was the only one that missed it and was confused - like I was with your "5000 units a year" production inference. Mia culpa.
The MXUS motor we use is 750w nominal. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with. A: I ran this "750w nominal" motor wide open, on 22amp setting, but the motor will not pull 1000watts - even downhill. ALL MXUS XF19, 750w "nominal" motors are rated at 1000w Peak. See: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/48V-1000W-MXUS-XF19-big-power_62501753259.html
*added idea - You could just email them and ask them if they will provide their ratings on the motors they supply us. That would simplify things. A: *added added idea - You could just email them and ask them if they will provide their ratings on the motors they supply you and like I've done, publish the information. That would really simplify things. I've been emailing them and I've already shared my numerous private communications with MXUS in e-mails asking "if they will provide their ratings on the motors" depicted in the photograph of the Serial Number. Asked repeatedly, they unwaveringly insisted that no matter what you say 'the XF19C is a 500w 68nm motor" and the the Motor in the photograph (which I took) is "an XF19C". Is there a reason you can't provide any proof whatsoever ?

Notably, a 500w Nominal/ 750w Peak can be juiced to pull another 10 - 20% - for a minute and a 750/ 1000w can be induced to pull 1200watts.
If you don't have time to read, I'll ask the forum communities and YouTube reviewers.
Lets start here: Anyone out there owning this motor seen it pull 1200watts? How about 1000watts? 950 maybe?
Lots of questions are being begged. Pretty obvious you can give a motor all it will take and create a "rating" but that's not 750watt nominal/ 1000watt motor.

Re: Will a 500 watt hub motor handle 1000 watts?

by wesnewell » Aug 31 2016 5:33am
I don't know about Hallomotor, but a 500W motor should not be the same as a 1000W motor. A 1000W rated motor can run 1000W under normal conditions 24/7. A 500W motor is only rated for 500W 24/7. That said, I've run over 3000W through a 500W dd motor for short periods of time without a problem. It will just burn up faster than a 1000W motor.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74403

MXUS says (1) the XF19C motor has 68nm of torque
(2) the XF19R and XF19 are the 750w/1000w 100nm torque Motors, but
(3) the 500w/ 750w XF19C motor has 68nm of torque, and;
(4) referencing the Model/ Serial Number I provided, MXUS says;
(5) "Yes. The cassette (the "C" version) motor, 500 watts 68nm torque".
(6) Nowhere, does MXUS advertise the XF19C (our bikes motor's) as "100nm torque".
I prefer to use an open forum. That way when "accidentally" misrepresented rating numbers are uncovered, the story cannot evolve into "that's what I meant" excuses and those of us that really do own these bikes can judge for themselves - regardless of racial slurs like genxrider is slinging in your defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
regardless of racial slurs like genxrider is slinging in your defense.
Racial slurs? What the heck are you talking about? I made no references to race in any way nor do I know your race. And I haven't posted mine, either - it's irrelevant to this conversation. Hmmm.

Maybe this will answer your motor power question.

I'm late to the party here, so I hope these comments (based on my recent (2/22) purchase of a cadence-sensor LMT'D) are still relevant.
I've been riding ebikes for about seven years. The LMT'D is my second rear-hub ebike, first Class 3 model.
Here's my 2-cents: Someone asked why the Power Assistant Sensor s/b set to 12. Based on my previous ebike and others that I've seen, 12 magnets are the most common configuration for the cadence sensor ring between the pedals.
Related to this topic: the Speed Sensor should be set to 1, not 10 as someone suggested. On many hub-motor bikes with Speed Sensors, the sensor referred to in the manual is a single magnet attached to one of the spokes. When I tried changing my Speed Sensor to 10, my speedometer started reading in tenths, i.e. 15 mph became 1.5 mph.
Last comment: if your LMT'D display will not let you change the Current Limit to 22 amps, try changing the number of PAS levels.
As soon as I changed from the factory default PAS 0-5 to 0-3, I was able to finally set the limit to 22 amps without the display defaulting back to 18 when I left the settings window.

Last edited:
On my 700, which uses the same KD218 display, Assistance Sensor is also set to 12 and speed sensor 1. But on the 700, it doesn't matter what range I'm using - any AMP changes won't stick. In 0-3, with PAS on 3, I can set it as high as 18, same as with any other range, not 22. But as soon as I back out of the settings, toggle PAS and back to PAS 3, when I go into the advanced settings, it's back to 14. But, I really only care being able to set the PAS power percentages, which works great. With a decent charge, it will max my meter out at 999 watts with PAS set high enough.

The operation of these displays/controllers have varied with different firmware. Some older 700's than mine did let you set the amps and the settings stick. Someone on the FB group made videos of his amps resetting on his LMT'D (torque sensor version) no matter how he exited, they would go back to the defaults as soon as he toggled the assist level up/down and back and return to the advanced settings. I think that Ride1Up sent him a different display and that he was then able to get amp changes to stick.

Hey, the party never ends! Congrats on buying a great bike. Can't wait for some photos.
A preamble introduction:
I ditched my car and (and after searching long and hard) bought an Ltd for long term (utility) use; overall performance/ price; a machine worth upgrading with quality parts and reliability. A tall order. From the start I said and intended 'no quarter'. I can't be Mary Poppins.
Having had friends buy various 'kits', I was unimpressed - as they were, and they were and tried to sell them - me thinking: "I warned you a front-wheel-drive motorcycle (even electric) was a terrible idea at any speed".
I just spent an hour leisurely pecking this out and changing my front pads. Tektro E10.11 (Green).
Price has gone up, but now $34 for 8 sets here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003445911596.html?
I noticed a screeching noise. Stock pads had meat left, but my experience says that's the alert that "it's time".
I love - and listen to - such features. Same with 'clicking spokes' when your tires are low. "Pump it up, until you can feel it (38lbs) ... even if you think you don't really need it". Thanks Joe Jackson.
We never expected R1U to load up on $600.00+ forks or $100.00+ bars. The basic goodies they use give us the starting point for this high-performance machine and hold up just fine. Closing on 5000 (vigorous) miles, I can tell you what fails on an Ltd - not a 500 or a 700.
-
Regarding (P2) magnets.
MXUS DDC40 has 23 magnets.
The -- XF15C has 10.
The -- XF19C (your motor) has 10
-
The display setting allow for 32, 24, 12, then 9, 8 etc. There is no '10'.
-
I admit to some confusion. Aren't spoke magnets for cadence only/ or speed sensors?
Understanding https://magnetic-sense.com/en/torquesensor/ principle - a bit - I've never ridden cadence, but the MXUS factory (paraphrasing a bit) says, our XF19 series motors have one sensor that can be used for either heat or pulse (torque/ cadence) input signals.
-

The debate re: 'how various motors are sensing overheating and reacting', mixed up with Bafang systems, clouded by information (relative only to specific motors) led me to query for our motor. There's our Gospel.
-
A bit humbled, I was the official 'show me' 🐴 crash dummy.
Couldn't help myself. I'm nosey and asked at the source: MXUS said the XF19 (750 x 1000w version) motor "is not and will not be made for sale" in 'Cassette' configuration. When I asked "why?" (the XF19"C" - our motor - is the 'Cassette' version), I ran into a 'bad attitude' (but it was none of my damn 'business'. that's why).
I just had to have an answer.
You didn't see the old R1U sites info on your motor? lol lol lol. Use Time Machine and look.
It's all true !
-
Ride1Up stepped up, openly gave permission to MXUS to disclose the (proprietary information) verifying this motor is a special and distinct product.
We're lucky to have it. It's the 750w x 1000w XF19, available to you and I - but a "C", cassette version in 1000watts.
-
The 500w (nominal) XF19 motors have 68nm. The 750watt (nominal) has 100nm.
-
With R1U's detailed instructions and photos, I completely disassembled and reassembled my bottom end. A real education.
TS tech is/ was ahead of it's time.
I'll go on a limb with an educated opinion: For the most part 'TS failures' are/ were shops/ bike mechanics and owner ignorance re: correct dis/ and re-assembly procedures, by good intended but illogically thinking folks. Owner malfunction, I call it (but YES shops too).
TS's don't intermittently fail with your display acting weird. That's crushed wiring. LOL
Short version: Symptoms like intermittent power cut-outs; complete failure of torque sensing and or throttle inputs were being attributed to the mysterious TS, so people, often quite knowledgeable in the usual bottom bracket inserts and maintenance took them apart - immediately wrecking them.
Failure being the exception not the rule, multiple bad TS units in a row is incredibly doubtful 🤔.
The hole (where the wire goes from the controller to the TS) into the bottom bracket has sharp edges. Even turning the TS 5 degrees completely shears the wires like a cigar-cutter.
After three failed replacements in a row being aired, an astute member I follow pointed out "it sounds like the shop".
The assumption 'maybe it's the torque sensor, lets check it out' often proving "Yup, that was it. The wires are snipped", I imagine machines on warranty cost R1U a fortune to fix. So they did the smart thing and discontinued the TS.
-
0 - 5 was a bunch I never used; pressing a button more times when I started.
0 - 3 proved best; click. click, click, I'm on level 2 so I stayed.
I tried tried both 20 and 22amps setting. Seems to make no difference. Display shows nearly 1000watts w/ both.
-
An all out 18 miler over 300' elevations, through canyons; up, then back down to SL; then up to the mesa, I did manage to get some thermal cut-out, but the bike came right back, never letting me down.
I assume the hub overheated; sensor software told controller; controller did it's thing, cut back; casing cooled and back to full bore.
So adding a higher wattage controller, the motor's cut-out would do it's job and back off, overheating quickly at 1000watts.
Can't speak for others, but my controller was only fully 'burned in' well after 2000miles. But then I also changed out some damaged wiring around then - the bikes real weak spot.

A shortcut to some stuff you might like.

Not so long back I added Jones H bars https://jonesbikes.com/jones-h-bar-butted-loop-aluminum/

Enough straight line space in grip section to accommodate my (R side) twist-grip throttle, shifter and brake lever at good angles -- and by moving the shifter inboard just that additional little bit more than the stock bars allowed, my thumb knuckle no longer bumps into the shifter levers when turning the twist grip throttle.
20220501_183436.jpg

Also, wiring loom is improved with the display; quick release for detachable basket and lights out front - proper - out of the way.
I prefer display close to center. You want a cleaner loom, move right, close to shifter and run both lines together as one.

20220501_183417.jpg

I bought the bars to test for another (size small framed) machine on order and didn't mind the butted type were then only available in silver - as is that bike.
Level with the saddle is 'correct' (for a touring bike) but they feel so perfect up higher on this bike. More upright, less hunched over. Eased my neck/ hand/ wrist pains - but that could be the general geometry not the rise. Control of the bike was enhanced a lot after adjusting the angle.
The flat rise in the less expensive ($90.00) Jones SG Loop H-Bar (the same design, but uses straight-gauge aluminum tubing in place of the custom-butted tubing may be even better.
Jones is such a maniacal purist, he's missing his real market. These are the perfect e-bike bars.
-
5K and my schedule say's it's time to replace the fork.
Doing my own maintenance so far, I can learn the craft, invest the money in quality parts and be sure it's right.
The Ltd has been a great performance platform with a lot of potential.
The initial price got me on the road and the utility is awesome.

20210905_142830.jpg

Thanks for info, best regards and hope the bike suits you as well !

Fn'F

Last edited:
Back