My Atom Arrived - Not Quite As Expected/Ordered

Intentions are good, they're just getting hit from all directions (including suppliers they returned inventory to who are slow to refund).

Intentions are good, they're just getting hit from all directions (including suppliers they returned inventory to who are slow to refund).
Sure, but the lack of transparency, terrible comms, and clear dishonesty should be well within their ability to fix. Getting this kind of thing right in challenging circumstances turns would be massive detractors like me into raving advocates - they've missed an opportunity here by taking the low road.

Yeah, don't disagree they haven't handled it very well, and reputation may be irreprable, even if they make it thru (I think they will).

FWIW, I was able to get in contact with them scheduling a 1:1 on their website. I know you shouldn't have to resort to that to get a response, but it worked for me, and I have a better understanding of the complexities behind the scenes. Would suggest doing that.

Ah I see they're also basically running a LBS: https://ebike.rehab/

I mean even before getting my bike seeing they had rented that space and had more than couple employees.. yet like the number of people with bikes seems so low.. like didn't seem to add up. This makes more sense.

• Wow
Reactions: rtp
At the end of the day, as an individual consumer I've no care for their original intentions or business circumstances. Nothing should impact their ability to refund a canceled or returned order at the bare minimum.

Their actions blur line between incompetence and shady business practices. When you add their lack of transparency to consumers they've taken money from and yet to return/provide a product for, it makes the situation even worse.

In June they will have had my $4k for a full year. I had the bike (not as ordered) in my possession for just a smidge over one of those months (February this year). Absurd.

Well to play devil's advocate they weren't obligated to take your bike back but they did. They are trying to do the right thing from what I see. They are in a bit of a cash crunch at the moment due to refunding parts and not getting prompt refunds from vendors. Not saying you should be happy or complacent to wait for your money but it is what it is. What do you expect them to do apart from dipping into their own personal financial resources to pay you back?

Tom, we all dig into our personal finances to pay them. They should have never sold him that bike.

At the end the day we only have our reputation. If the company can not satisfy their debts then it should be up to the debtor to determine if the return schedule is amendable to them based on an open communication. Ignoring the debt is just bad practice and is simply inexcusable.

But he agreed to the sale. That's NOT their fault. Unless they knowingly sent him a bike they knew had issues I don't see how you could say they should have never sold him the bike. The bike didn't work out, they agreed to take it back. Good on them, I don't believe they had ANY obligation to do so. I also don't think they would have agreed to take it back if they believed they couldn't offer a timely refund. They were trying to do the right thing and likely banking on vendor refunds being paid in a timely manner, and they guessed wrong.

How he funded his purchase is irrelevant. There is no tit for tat when it comes to the corporate veil. If this was Rad, Biktrix, Sondors, or a large company with substantial capital I would say it's unreasonable that a refund hasn't yet been paid, but we're talking about a small company with obvious cash flow issues, that's just how it is. You can jump up and down and say you don't give two shits about the complexities, it's not going to change the situation.

I mean, not having an obligation to accept the return is a stretch. They shipped a bike not as ordered, as the thread title states, with no acceptance/forewarning to me on the changes. Per the return policy on their site you have to postmark the return within 7 days of purchase.....well, they took 7+ months to deliver that purchase.

So while sure, you can devil's advocate they were doing me a solid accepting the return. They've now got that bike and it's parts AND had my money for 11 months. This wasn't a Kickstarter campaign. There was no forewarnings the bike would take so long to ship nor a communication of many part swaps to give me an option to cancel instead.

At the point I reached with them, they were asking me to return the bike for repairs to the lighting wiring being snipped by them. Which meant they were going to take the bike back, repair it then ship it back to me. All at their cost. So theoretically returning the bike for a full refund instead is actually in their financial interest (saves on labor and shipping). I rode it for less miles than any average LBS bike sees in test rides.

Trust me, I was all for staying positive through most of this situation and not flaming them given the circumstances. Their now ignoring my messages while owing me money, how the hell am I supposed to feel/act about that? What logical person wouldn't be irate in my shoes?

But he agreed to the sale. That's NOT their fault. Unless they knowingly sent him a bike they knew had issues I don't see how you could say they should have never sold him the bike. The bike didn't work out, they agreed to take it back. Good on them, I don't believe they had ANY obligation to do so. I also don't think they would have agreed to take it back if they believed they couldn't offer a timely refund. They were trying to do the right thing and likely banking on vendor refunds being paid in a timely manner, and they guessed wrong.

How he funded his purchase is irrelevant. There is no tit for tat when it comes to the corporate veil. If this was Rad, Biktrix, Sondors, or a large company with substantial capital I would say it's unreasonable that a refund hasn't yet been paid, but we're talking about a small company with obvious cash flow issues, that's just how it is. You can jump up and down and say you don't give two shits about the complexities, it's not going to change the situation.
If I remember right he did not agree to the bike .they did not send the bike he agreed to but one with lesser components and one that had issues.

Re-reading the OP the parts substituted were of comparable value. Granted, they didn't provide the exact specs agreed to, but the primary reason why the bike was returned was the downgrade from belt drive which was agreed to, no?

Re-reading the OP the parts substituted were of comparable value. Granted, they didn't provide the exact specs agreed to, but the primary reason why the bike was returned was the downgrade from belt drive which was agreed to, no?
thats a whole different powertrain so a different bike.

Trust me, I was all for staying positive through most of this situation and not flaming them given the circumstances. Their now ignoring my messages while owing me money, how the hell am I supposed to feel/act about that? What logical person wouldn't be irate in my shoes?

That's why I suggested a 1:1. Schedule a time to talk to them on a personal basis, I think that will work better than trying to get a response by email. CC dispute might give you some extra leverage, but I think you're well past the dispute period.

Substituting parts regardless of cost comparison without the buyers consent is the problem. Especially when there are plenty of bike parts that cost more that a consumer may not prefer.

The bike was returned because of the continued issues and their request to ship it back for repairs then wait for it to be returned. I grew exhausted. I also had little faith the bike would be returned in a timely manner and was at the end of my deadline for a functioning mode of transport.

You are hung up on them accepting a return as if it were a favor. I'd like to point out they have to give me my money back for this to even be remotely accurate. As of right now accepting the return and keeping the money is akin to something else.

Do you have a link to that 1:1 scheduling option? Not seeing it on their site at the moment. I'll contact through any means available.

Back