Ongoing issues with LMTD

I wouldn’t knock the entire run of LMTD bikes. Buy what you need. Good luck.
Sorry to have not gotten back to you on this matter sooner.
It was probably not your controller Mike.
More often it's the wires. Replace the section of display (and throttle) wires 3'" - 4" either side of the downtube entry point. They should pull right out if you work at it a bit.
It's caused by the fork turning too far. The grommet does not help. The spiral casing sheath does not help. Taping them to the hard cable make it worse.
Using my double legged kickstand (front wheel off the ground when it's down), I suffered wiring issues twice. My solution was replace that section and slice a 6 " piece of stiff 3/8ths PTFE tubing lengthwise, sheathing the wires and cable in that tube, Gorilla tape the crack and spiral wrap the whole tube. Now the wires cannot crush. What would be ideal is that metal flex sheathing - one would have to cut all the wires to install.
-
I you replaced the controller and the problem persisted, it's not the controller.
If you've replaced both display and controller and the problem continues it's not either.
It's likely the throttle wires - or the throttle itself.
That's not to say a short in the wires couldn't cause the controller to die.
-
What would be ideal is metal flex sheathing - one would have to cut all the wires to install.
I picked up an Archer D1x on eBay. It's going on when I replace the fork. That will dump one cable.
I've got a lot of miles now. Just published the settings I've found best. I might add that 22amps when voltage goes below 48v will heat up faster than a 20amp setting will ... yet 22 feels no more powerful than 20.
I'm sure you're up and running now.
How did your tests go? What settings do you prefer? Your longest trip? Improvements ?

Regards !!!

Fn'F

Hey, the party never ends! Congrats on buying a great bike. Can't wait for some photos.
A preamble introduction:
I ditched my car and (and after searching long and hard) bought an Ltd for long term (utility) use; overall performance/ price; a machine worth upgrading with quality parts and reliability. A tall order. From the start I said and intended 'no quarter'. I can't be Mary Poppins.
Having had friends buy various 'kits', I was unimpressed - as they were, and they were and tried to sell them - me thinking: "I warned you a front-wheel-drive motorcycle (even electric) was a terrible idea at any speed".
I just spent an hour leisurely pecking this out and changing my front pads. Tektro E10.11 (Green).
Price has gone up, but now $34 for 8 sets here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003445911596.html?
I noticed a screeching noise. Stock pads had meat left, but my experience says that's the alert that "it's time".
I love - and listen to - such features. Same with 'clicking spokes' when your tires are low. "Pump it up, until you can feel it (38lbs) ... even if you think you don't really need it". Thanks Joe Jackson.
We never expected R1U to load up on $600.00+ forks or $100.00+ bars. The basic goodies they use give us the starting point for this high-performance machine and hold up just fine. Closing on 5000 (vigorous) miles, I can tell you what fails on an Ltd - not a 500 or a 700.
-
Regarding (P2) magnets.
MXUS DDC40 has 23 magnets.
The -- XF15C has 10.
The -- XF19C (your motor) has 10
-
The display setting allow for 32, 24, 12, then 9, 8 etc. There is no '10'.
-
I admit to some confusion. Aren't spoke magnets for cadence only/ or speed sensors?
Understanding https://magnetic-sense.com/en/torquesensor/ principle - a bit - I've never ridden cadence, but the MXUS factory (paraphrasing a bit) says, our XF19 series motors have one sensor that can be used for either heat or pulse (torque/ cadence) input signals.
-

The debate re: 'how various motors are sensing overheating and reacting', mixed up with Bafang systems, clouded by information (relative only to specific motors) led me to query for our motor. There's our Gospel.
-
A bit humbled, I was the official 'show me' 🐴 crash dummy.
Couldn't help myself. I'm nosey and asked at the source: MXUS said the XF19 (750 x 1000w version) motor "is not and will not be made for sale" in 'Cassette' configuration. When I asked "why?" (the XF19"C" - our motor - is the 'Cassette' version), I ran into a 'bad attitude' (but it was none of my damn 'business'. that's why).
I just had to have an answer.
You didn't see the old R1U sites info on your motor? lol lol lol. Use Time Machine and look.
It's all true !
-
Ride1Up stepped up, openly gave permission to MXUS to disclose the (proprietary information) verifying this motor is a special and distinct product.
We're lucky to have it. It's the 750w x 1000w XF19, available to you and I - but a "C", cassette version in 1000watts.
-
The 500w (nominal) XF19 motors have 68nm. The 750watt (nominal) has 100nm.
-
With R1U's detailed instructions and photos, I completely disassembled and reassembled my bottom end. A real education.
TS tech is/ was ahead of it's time.
I'll go on a limb with an educated opinion: For the most part 'TS failures' are/ were shops/ bike mechanics and owner ignorance re: correct dis/ and re-assembly procedures, by good intended but illogically thinking folks. Owner malfunction, I call it (but YES shops too).
TS's don't intermittently fail with your display acting weird. That's crushed wiring. LOL
Short version: Symptoms like intermittent power cut-outs; complete failure of torque sensing and or throttle inputs were being attributed to the mysterious TS, so people, often quite knowledgeable in the usual bottom bracket inserts and maintenance took them apart - immediately wrecking them.
Failure being the exception not the rule, multiple bad TS units in a row is incredibly doubtful 🤔.
The hole (where the wire goes from the controller to the TS) into the bottom bracket has sharp edges. Even turning the TS 5 degrees completely shears the wires like a cigar-cutter.
After three failed replacements in a row being aired, an astute member I follow pointed out "it sounds like the shop".
The assumption 'maybe it's the torque sensor, lets check it out' often proving "Yup, that was it. The wires are snipped", I imagine machines on warranty cost R1U a fortune to fix. So they did the smart thing and discontinued the TS.
-
0 - 5 was a bunch I never used; pressing a button more times when I started.
0 - 3 proved best; click. click, click, I'm on level 2 so I stayed.
I tried tried both 20 and 22amps setting. Seems to make no difference. Display shows nearly 1000watts w/ both.
-
An all out 18 miler over 300' elevations, through canyons; up, then back down to SL; then up to the mesa, I did manage to get some thermal cut-out, but the bike came right back, never letting me down.
I assume the hub overheated; sensor software told controller; controller did it's thing, cut back; casing cooled and back to full bore.
So adding a higher wattage controller, the motor's cut-out would do it's job and back off, overheating quickly at 1000watts.
Can't speak for others, but my controller was only fully 'burned in' well after 2000miles. But then I also changed out some damaged wiring around then - the bikes real weak spot.

A shortcut to some stuff you might like.

Not so long back I added Jones H bars https://jonesbikes.com/jones-h-bar-butted-loop-aluminum/

Enough straight line space in grip section to accommodate my (R side) twist-grip throttle, shifter and brake lever at good angles -- and by moving the shifter inboard just that additional little bit more than the stock bars allowed, my thumb knuckle no longer bumps into the shifter levers when turning the twist grip throttle.
View attachment 122118
Also, wiring loom is improved with the display; quick release for detachable basket and lights out front - proper - out of the way.
I prefer display close to center. You want a cleaner loom, move right, close to shifter and run both lines together as one.

View attachment 122120

I bought the bars to test for another (size small framed) machine on order and didn't mind the butted type were then only available in silver - as is that bike.
Level with the saddle is 'correct' (for a touring bike) but they feel so perfect up higher on this bike. More upright, less hunched over. Eased my neck/ hand/ wrist pains - but that could be the general geometry not the rise. Control of the bike was enhanced a lot after adjusting the angle.
The flat rise in the less expensive ($90.00) Jones SG Loop H-Bar (the same design, but uses straight-gauge aluminum tubing in place of the custom-butted tubing may be even better.
Jones is such a maniacal purist, he's missing his real market. These are the perfect e-bike bars.
-
5K and my schedule say's it's time to replace the fork.
Doing my own maintenance so far, I can learn the craft, invest the money in quality parts and be sure it's right.
The Ltd has been a great performance platform with a lot of potential.
The initial price got me on the road and the utility is awesome.

View attachment 122304

Thanks for info, best regards and hope the bike suits you as well !

Fn'F
"The party never ends" is an apt description of life since I got my first ebike in 2015!

I come from a dirt-bike racing, surfing family, so exercise has always been fun (& therefor easy) but at age 76 it’s a lot easier riding the bike than paddling out in 55° water. There are a couple stretches between my house and the beach where I can hit 30 mph for a block or two; at my age a fall would probably end me but the adrenaline is worth it.

The bike is fast, but below 20 mph throttle-only acceleration feels a bit anemic compared to ghost pedaling at the highest PAS level.

My “OEM” PAS levels setting defaults to 0-5, 18 amps max. At PAS 0-7, it will hold 20 amps. At 0-3, 22 amps. Go figure.

I want to be able to use my legs a bit before PAS over-powers the pedals, so 0-3 PAS is not going to cut it. I will experiment this week with 0-7, setting the first few PAS values pretty low, like in the 10% range. Onward through the fog!

Last edited:
I want to be able to use my legs a bit before PAS over-powers the pedals, so 0-3 PAS is not going to cut it. I will experiment this week with 0-7, setting the first few PAS values pretty low, like in the 10% range. Onward through the fog!
I used to have mine set for 0-9 with the first 3 levels of assist at 5, 8, 14 IIRC because I wanted minimal assist in lower levels to get better exercise. But I thought the differences were too small and required more toggling than I thought should be necessary moving between preferred amounts of assist power, so I changed to 0-7 set to 6, 12, 20 for the first 3 assist levels, which I prefer. On flat pavement with no headwinds, I will often ride in PAS 0. Since those older LMT'D's from 2020 and early in 2021 were sold with a torque sensor, 0-3 made more sense as their default due to the dynamic amount of power based on your pedaling effort.

Last edited:
"The party never ends" is an apt description of life since I got my first ebike in 2015!

I come from a dirt-bike racing, surfing family, so exercise has always been fun & easy, but at age 76 it’s a lot easier on the bike than paddling out in 55° water. There are a couple stretches between my house and the beach where I can safely hit 30 mph for a block or two; at my age a fall would probably end me but the adrenaline is worth it.

The bike is fast, but below 20 mph throttle-only acceleration feels a bit anemic compared to ghost pedaling at the highest PAS level.

My “OEM” PAS levels setting defaults to 0-5, 18 amps max. At PAS 0-7, it will hold 20 amps. At 0-3, 22 amps. Go figure.

For sure. Mechanical, competitive and enjoying physical exertion.
7 years experience, you know a lot. This bike's display settings are simple. That 0-5 setting seems odd. Shut down, remove battery and reset, perhaps?
0 - 3 (0%, 33%, 66% and 80%), set at level 1 works me plenty.
How many watts on the display with throttle-only ?
Today, I spent my spare time searching for a new fork. Not a lot on forums.

Ride on

For sure. Mechanical, competitive and enjoying physical exertion.
7 years experience, you know a lot. This bike's display settings are simple. That 0-5 setting seems odd. Shut down, remove battery and reset, perhaps?
0 - 3 (0%, 33%, 66% and 80%), set at level 1 works me plenty.
How many watts on the display with throttle-only ?
Today, I spent my spare time searching for a new fork. Not a lot on forums.

Ride on
Throttle-only displays 999 watts. That’s good.

PAS 0-9 seems a good fit for me; first few levels set low so I can get some resistance (until about 20 mph after which I feel a bit like a hamster on a wheel). I think a larger chainring is in my future.

On PAS 9 and a fully charged battery I’ve managed 31 mph. Once the battery is down around 75% I’m lucky to hit 27, but it doesn’t seem to fall off much after that. (Most of my riding is on flat ground.)

I hope you find a suitable fork assembly. The stock RST works for me around town but I don't think it's meant for much off-road use.

Good to see you're getting into that Ltd.
I'm right behind you - but living in combat zones has worn me out a bit.
images.jpg (should say 'requires Hi-octane fuel; no brakes; suspected blown head-gasket; great Hydraulics').

"PAS 0-9 seems a good fit for me; first few levels set low so I can get some resistance (until about 20 mph after which I feel a bit like a hamster on a wheel). I think a larger chainring is in my future".

In my life, first impressions have usually been correct ...

20210130_130042.jpg I went up to a 48T and posted the procedure.
Works great - gives me more exercise. I stay winded. The hub's rpm limitations the same no matter input, any increase in top speed is all you.
My verdict: 2000miles later working great and no evidence of extensive wear - or catching my Carhartts.

You'll need change the chain-guard. I had mine custom cut -- but the (now out-of-business company's) jig for the laser cutter only went to 46t size max).
It's that or buy 'cookie-cutter' 'beer-can' grade stuff in any one of 100 color schemes - to make you think it's different. I wanted billet
So regardless my guard cost 700% more than the ring gear, it worked perfectly - as you can see. And, as your official Crash Dummy, you can assume some 46t guards will be fine with 48t ring gears.
If you're thinkin' 'bout it, it's available (at only twice what I paid. lol), or ala my American Made guard, you'll pay much more for a Wolftooth, etc.
I posted photos of the 'Med Wide 48T - 104' specs just for you.

"On PAS 9 and a fully charged battery I’ve managed 31 mph. Once the battery is down around 75% I’m lucky to hit 27, but it doesn’t seem to fall off much after that. (Most of my riding is on flat ground.)"

Your bike's quick. Controller/ battery system hitting on all 8 cylinders.

My sweet-spot's when v drops a bit.

Just back from a 6 miler. Whew. Crazy DT SD CA traffic. Out-of-towner zombies w/ 'ball-game psychosis'.
They're angry there's no parking for miles (which they caused being too cheap to book parking), some from Ariz, prob packing AK's ... just in case an election is stolen or Ukrainians invade the USA - and there's bums in tent in front of the Post Office?
A local, just goin' out to pick up a sixer w/ Angry 'Zonies zombies in intersections screaming at each other about 'it was green when I got here'.
Totally over it, I'm cool with them, just go around - a reason I sold my Toyota and bought e-bike.
Never use level 3. Being thirsty annoyed me, so on a whim, since we've been talking different power settings, I thought I'd check it out.
Display check when home says bike hit 30.7mph - without really trying. I was @ 50v when I left.
As I recall, I set @ % 75% for '3', 50% for '2' and 25% for '1' (KISS principle).
-
Can't wrap my head around "%" as a measure of charge. It's a (user configurable) input 'estimate' of how much juice is left at certain (user anticipated) voltages.
I skipped the 'estimate/ anticipated' stuff and 'configured' my display to read directly in 'Voltage'.
I can baby the voltage drop if I'm 9 miles away; milk the performance knowing when (like @-47v on a hill) it's rapidly deteriorating --- be 100% accurate (the part I'm a' liking most) and always stay above 42volts (you better) to maintain my battery. My distance between charges increased several miles.
-
"I hope you find a suitable fork assembly. The stock RST works for me around town but I don't think it's meant for much off-road use."

Never tried off-road excepting tended grass. lol. My fishing spots are pretty tame terrain by the harbor.
20200723_072613.jpg20200723_072924.jpg20200723_072238.jpg I'm having another bike built I'll use for surf (beach) fishing w/ 3.0" tires.
My Ltd's for around town - 10mile radius.
City ruts, expansion strips and pot-holes at 24mph are more my concern.
Not that it makes it 'bad', but the RST Asteria 28.6 TNL is an economy fork.
I like this company, the people at the top and admire their mission. No way I'm insinuating they should use a fork that raises the price 25%.
I'm happy as a 3oz oyster on a a 11" plate 20201002_154117.jpg clam !!! I got a ton of use and then some out of this $125.00 fork.
If they'd stuck me with a $400 fork, I'd be committed.
It's up to customer, get's them on the road, gives me the liberty to choose what I want, be current tech.
Performance wise, the Ltd is R1U's best machine by 40%. Not forgetting the (next best) 700 has 60nm torque to your 100nm on tap.
-
I'm thinking the Rockshox Judy or Recon Gold.
I'll be removing my front rack (-1.5 lb) and this fork weighs 1.5 lbs less than the RST. Finally, I'm losing weight.
I'd remove my 2.65lb Ursus Jumbo V stand but no way, loading groceries in my panniers is out of the question without it.20210722_135946.jpg
The Ltd was really meant to run free - at 53lbs, but I gotta shop, and gotta be me.
20210521_162135.jpg

It's a fun evolution.

Fn'F

I’m having a great time tweaking my bike. Your posts have been a big help. I miss my old twist throttle although I find myself using PAS more and more. Not many hills in my town so I will hold off on a bigger chain ring until I can see how the stock gearing does on a steep gradient.

As for traffic, I can relate. CalTrans has had the 101 in Santa Barbara County torn up for the past few years and last Thursday it was a parking lot all day with 2 mph overflow on the frontage roads; a good time to be on a bike.

I dropped my fork pressure from 100 to 95 psi this A.M. and am happy with the result. My weight varies btwn 190-200 and this seems like a good setting. Like you said, it’s an economy fork but so far it’s been solid around town with a (very) occasional ride on dirt paths. Which reminds me, I weighed the bike for the first time today: 57.8 lbs including rear rack, RedShift seat post, mini-pump, alarm and a can of MACE “in case I’m attacked”. I often carry my bike on a hitch-mounted rack and it’s not a problem to lift it.

You can’t see it in the photo but I replaced my kick stand with an el cheapo off an old beach cruiser; after trying offset-spacers and even different shoes I decided the stock stand was a heel-grabber no matter what I tried.

Other than the actual riding, I think I’m having the most fun playing with the PAS and voltage settings. My first bike just had a cheap LED module with no display. What a difference!

Attachments

• powerset.jpg
    powerset.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 174
  • LMTD.jpg
    LMTD.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Looking good !
Some really nice, used Jones H bars at auction on ebay right now. The strong, butted type in black. 710mm wide ($145.00 on Jones' site), not 2.5" risers like I have. Pretty rare, never available anywhere but the site - unless priced more than new. Riding a pair, I know why. They're heirlooms.
I was budgeted in to buy a pair of the black, non-butted type 0.5" low risers ($115 total w/ tax and shipping), so I'll be that hidden bid for $100.
$101 will likely be the winner.
-
When I explored 'speed sensor' settings only '1' would display correctly (bike ran great though. lol).
Tried various today. Only '1' works correctly.

I charged up and bike has different attitude @ 54.8v, it chokes a bit - likely the controller, designed for 48v - 53v MAX.
-
You've already gained 5lbs. lol.
Keepin' lard down is a battle, but the change in feel, enhanced nimbleness is worth it.
-
I can't dump my 2.5lb kick-stand; the 1lb of stainless spin-proof torque plates *, or the KINEKT / Selle Anatomica post/ saddle that adds 1.5lbs (I tried carbon rails; waste of money that blew up) = 5lbs of must have stuff.

I searched long and hard for my rear rack - about 2.5lbs - the rest of weight being my torque plates, now I'm at 7.5lbs.
All my fasteners, clamps and such are titanium. Now steel's the same price. I bought and squirreled the ti stuff that weigh half as much, never corrodes and last forever. That shed a few grams, but I used Nordlock washers and gained it right back.
So, I'm about 60.5 lbs (W/O my 2.5lb ABUS lock) + another 1.5lbs for the front rack (9lbs) = 62lbs sans lock.
One of the Ltd's big selling points is the 53lb weight. It is a big deal when you're lifting the front wheel to smoothly flying over curbs/ water, etc. w/ minimal impact.
I'm dumping all 'unsprung' weight. So losing 3lbs, removing my front rack and installing a better fork is a huge deal.
My pastime improving is a fascination and someday soon I'll build another rear hub bike.
Our 100nm MXUS XF19 stands out as the probable motor.
I looked in MAC too - and I'm waiting for my Bafang build WW G510 Titanium - what with trade insanity/ plagues - to arrive, maybe in July.
But that's a mid-drive. Another species of beast entirely, with - in this case, twice the power the MXUS has - like instantly.
-
Good that you publish your findings and settings for the New Cadence Assist Ltd.
Your input will help others enjoy their machine as well.

Hope this finds you well and riding,

Fn'F
-
* my solution w/ lower steel plates was waaay overbuilt.
R1U simplified it eliminating the issue going forward, and when I asked sent me a set of the new plates they were using.
Name-dropping lends impression I've intimation not available to all owners. Well no, but I do admire good businessfolks.
'First level' responses aside, if it's important to you, press on and my experience is they'll help you.

Attachments

• 20220516_145719[1].jpg
    20220516_145719[1].jpg
    180 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Fn'F said: When I explored 'speed sensor' settings only '1' would display correctly (bike ran great though. lol).

Yeah, I found the same. The cadence sensor has 12 magnets, and I don’t see a spoke sensor on my LMTD, so what is it reading?

I charged up and bike has different attitude @ 54.8v, it chokes a bit - likely the controller, designed for 48v - 53v MAX.
Thanks for this insight; it’s never occurred to me that a full charge might initially reduce performance. Unless I’m headed out on a long trip, I normally charge to just over 80% so haven’t experienced any issues. Still patiently waiting for LUNA to get their adjustable chargers back in stock.
I’m beginning to understand your preference for the voltage display. Today, with 17 miles on my trip meter, it shows 92% remaining. A little optimistic IMHO, haha. The voltage to % algorithm isn't great, and with the effects of individual throttle use, the % readout doesn’t feel accurate.

The older I get, the more I appreciate the degree that weight plays in the fun. I pity folks who buy a fat tire bike not realizing it’s gonna weigh 70+ lbs and handle like a truck. One of my favorite routes includes a spot where I have to lift the bike over raised railroad tracks. At 57+ lbs it's not a problem for me, but my riding buddy has to detour to a regular street crossing to get to the beach on his Rad Rover.

Your rack looks great, what brand is it? Mine is pitiful, came off a previous bike and is mainly used as a fender replacement for the odd puddle (since it never rains in California).

Good that you publish your findings and settings for the New Cadence Assist Ltd.

Speaking of useful input: I check my tire pressure about every 10 days, and just like my previous ebike, there is usually at least a 3-4 psi drop each time I check. I normally run 52 psi: minimal rolling resistance without having to worry about sliding out on the odd gravel patch. It’s hard to beat the adrenalin from a curvy downhill run, going just a bit faster than what you know is “safe”.

Another smart move: paying the eBikery shop in Santa Barbara to do the initial setup and tune turned out to be a good idea. My front wheel and rotor arrived out of true and there was some question about whether I had a warranty issue or a claim against FedEx for shipping damage. Having a certified mechanic do the initial assembly was a prudent move, and as you have pointed out, polite persistence was rewarded by R1U’s Customer Service, who took good care of me.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend. I’ll probably park my bike until the crowds are gone.

Fn'F said: When I explored 'speed sensor' settings only '1' would display correctly (bike ran great though. lol).

Yeah, I found the same. The cadence sensor has 12 magnets, and I don’t see a spoke sensor on my LMTD, so what is it reading?

Thanks for this insight; it’s never occurred to me that a full charge might initially reduce performance. Unless I’m headed out on a long trip, I normally charge to just over 80% so haven’t experienced any issues. Still patiently waiting for LUNA to get their adjustable chargers back in stock.
I’m beginning to understand your preference for the voltage display. Today, with 17 miles on my trip meter, it shows 92% remaining. A little optimistic IMHO, haha. The voltage to % algorithm isn't great, and with the effects of individual throttle use, the % readout doesn’t feel accurate.

The older I get, the more I appreciate the degree that weight plays in the fun. I pity folks who buy a fat tire bike not realizing it’s gonna weigh 70+ lbs and handle like a truck. One of my favorite routes includes a spot where I have to lift the bike over raised railroad tracks. At 57+ lbs it's not a problem for me, but my riding buddy has to detour to a regular street crossing to get to the beach on his Rad Rover.

Your rack looks great, what brand is it? Mine is pitiful, came off a previous bike and is mainly used as a fender replacement for the odd puddle (since it never rains in California).

Speaking of useful input: I check my tire pressure about every 10 days, and just like my previous ebike, there is usually at least a 3-4 psi drop each time I check. I normally run 52 psi: minimal rolling resistance without having to worry about sliding out on the odd gravel patch. It’s hard to beat the adrenalin from a curvy downhill run, going just a bit faster than what you know is “safe”.

Another smart move: paying the eBikery shop in Santa Barbara to do the initial setup and tune turned out to be a good idea. My front wheel and rotor arrived out of true and there was some question about whether I had a warranty issue or a claim against FedEx for shipping damage. Having a certified mechanic do the initial assembly was a prudent move, and as you have pointed out, polite persistence was rewarded by R1U’s Customer Service, who took good care of me.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend. I’ll probably park my bike until the crowds are gone.
Sorry I'm a little late answering.
From your experience, it really does sound like R1U has it pretty dialed w/ the cadence set up.
It's so easy to have problems arise from stretched wires, often during assembly.
I've been all through the wiring and found more than one that had 50 - 90% of the fine wires broken. Replaced and all gremlins left.
Some of, perhaps even all of the problems could have been my doing to some extent, and even if not, R1U's not at fault.
One hurried worker on an assembly line in China could also cause it.
I'm fine with digging in, learned a lot and got lucky figuring it out - well, I used others as the crash dummy this time. You replace 3 controllers in a row, either God hates you or it's not the controller, but a big clue came when I installed a new throttle and problems disappeared, so I carefully peeled the insulation down on the old wires and sure enough, there it was.
There's only so much R1U can do. They don't weasel out 👍, but a lot of owner problems are also bad settings and it takes time w/ back and forth to resolve. Never have I had them tell me "You're off warranty" sorry. In fact they took me to school. They didn't have to, but they spent hours of their valuable time to teach me what I needed to know. Why? I think it's their way of business - and that's not an easy path.
So I warn you: DO NOT pull hard on the wires, if you must pull at all - like changing out a display or throttle, as in when you need to get to the connectors through the hole in the frame. Always remember: those signal wires are some extremely flimsy hairs.

I plan to drill a different hole in the Battery Downtube, like the 700's have, but because of metallic particles being shed I'm waiting until I do a complete overhaul of all wiring that's a weak link and I can clean everything as well.
Not sure what would happen if some fragments of aluminum fell down through that bottom bracket hole into my torque sensor, and not going to find out, or I'd already have drilled. I must tape that hole shut first. That requires full disassembly of the battery compartment
Also, first I need to know what's on the other side where I'm drilling, so must see the inside first.
It's a major pain to get the lock and upper plate back in. Have to get it right the first time.
If you ever remove that upper plate and lock, here's a huge tip: Mark the plates position and depth with a fine marker before disassembly - or suffer endless attempts until you get it lined up perfectly - which is the only way it will fit. Last time I sprained two fingers before I was done.

The replacement twist-grip throttle(s) I've purchased have all had better wires than stock thumb throttle.
The Wuxing (right side) 1/8 twist throttle works great (See here: Wuxing Throttle with plug $12.83), but w/ stock handlebars the shifter is near impossible to fit correctly because the throttle's housing interferes and the wing on the grips is in the wrong position - no problem w/ Jones bars.
My left thumb's not up to a thumb-throttle, but I have a leftie twist grip I plan to try.
It's a bit too busy w/ a shifter, throttle, turn signals and brake all on one side so I found a leftie twist grip I'd planned to try and it seems built a lot better than the others. It also has a shorter throw (twist), like 1/8 turn (I prefer) not 1/4 turn.

If you do decide to change, you'll like it so much, you won't even notice when your using the twist throttle. It becomes 'one' with you, totally intuitive control without even thinking about it. For me it completely changed the character and my riding experience was greatly improved.
There are pitfalls.
The wiring colors often don't match, but with the diagrams available in Google images that's not a problem.
Another, the grip must be fully installed where the outer (plastic) bearing is fully seated all the way on, or you'll have problems.
Another is the housing should not be touching any other part of the assembly. If it is when you start tightening down the grip, it will be pressing even more as you tighten and I've found the throttle acts crazy when stressed like that.
Another is, the connector plugs probably won't match. Be prepared to solder and shrink fit some wires, or better yet, to remove and re-install the pins in your old, correct plug (using the existing pins), with the little tool for that purpose.
This leftie came with just the pins installed 20220527_092823[1].jpg and much sturdier wiring (3 to 4 times the copper strands w/ thicker and stiffer insulation than stock).
Another (maybe) problem for some could be the inability to remove the plastic grip and install nice quality grips. For that you need a Domino ($110.00) IP67 Full Twist Throttle or a Magura ($95.00) throttle (which is not as good or ergonomic see: Domino v Magura throttles) - the guys at SurRon say the same thing.
Both come with 5 wires - we only use three of them, the other two are for a cut-out. A big deal w/ serious power, like the WattWagon I have on order (160 - 200nm torque) which also has Magura brakes w/ a cut-out circuit. You tap brakes, power goes off regardless you might have brain lock and be on the throttle while also trying to stop w/ brakes.
Of course save the thumb throttle in case you sell the bike. Most ebikers don't like twist types (until they've tried them, lol). So it won't decrease the value to suit them.

It's not accurate, but the voltage reading is. The "92%" reading is 92% of an arbitrary setting. It can be set to read 92% with 40volts left, or 53.
I hate guesstimating. I got 24 mile range before changing to V, now I get over 30.

Your experience mirrors mine. Heavy is just not the feel I want and it's terribly inconvenient for me, carrying my machine up and down stairs - which I often do twice a day. Would have been no problem 15 years ago when I squatted 350 with ease, benched twice my weight to do my reps and had 20lbs more muscle, but it would still drive like a truck. lol

That's an 'Axiom Streamliner Disc DLX Bicycle Rack Pannier Carrier 27 - 29” 700c', I love it and they're priced right too. See: DLX ebay (last one left) $51.81 . I tried several, even a Tubus at thrice the price - not impressed. This one is well worth the $$$, has great welds and a thick finish. A cool feature about a black rack is if you do mar the finish, you can easily touch it up.

I've been perplexed over the 30 - 55lb rating on the tire and cluelessly running at 35 - 45lbs.
I find you advice a better feel worth the effort.

You'd love my testing run. A slight downhill 1/4 mile straight, but you have to be careful as there are two street signals and * trash-pickers, will step in front of you, cross when their light's red, j-walk without bothering to look what's coming at them, or simply stand in the street screaming and babbling.
After the first straightaway, it turns into a high-speed 's' curve, then immediately, a left u-turn that converts to a tight right semi u-turn and on to a full throttle 1/4 straightaway - that even has a nice dip you can get air on. That straight has a fence and then trolley tracks on one side, no lights and clear visibility all the way to the end. Because there is no sidewalk on the trolley side, it's much safer from J-walking pedestrians.
I'm so far leaned over in those turns I'll get pedal strikes if my pedaling timing is incorrect - even a bit over 53volts 20220523_155809.jpg as you can see from this run on 5/23/2022 the bike is very quick.
That's running on level 2. I just don't use 3, so I haven't tested the Ltd at that power level, but now I think I will. Wonder if I can hit 32mph ? We shall see.
I must say running that course a couple times a week has vastly improved my skills and continues to.

Long Note*. I've clipped two J-walking trash-pickers so far, and suffered a laydown from another's huge construction trash bag full of cans who pushed his stolen shopping cart loaded (literally. it was gigantic) 8' high with stolen and trash-picked stuff out from hidden between two box-trucks; 25 -30' in front of me, and I'm going 28mph in the leftmost lane, on a 4 lane one-way - packed with commuters trying to get home as fast as they can.
Totally hemmed in by traffic on my ass, in front and on the side, I instantly decided I'd prefer hitting him to being run over by the impatient driver 10' on my tail, but he saw he was going to get clobbered and quickly pulled his body back between the trucks, (leaving 3/4 of the cart still in my lane and dumping the mother of all 'bag of cans', which fell off and blocked over 3/4 the lane.
Rapidly closing, I went as far to the right as I could get and I really thought I had it, but that 10' x 5' bag (he'd no doubt shoplifted at Home Depot or Ace Hardware, since those bags are expensive) was too big and it had burst, cars sending cans flying everywhere.
I hit the last foot or so, the bag hooked me and pulled me down.
He was nice enough to ask me if I was okay and that was good, because as soon as I saw him approaching I had my hand on my mini-bear spray - knowing how so many of the 'homeless' as a rule blame everyone else for the problems and if you disagree they get violent.
So I picked myself up and painfully rode home on throttle, my hip in a lot of distress and a month of healing (sigh).
My bars, the front and rear racks and pedals saved the bike frame and wheels from damage, but the bars were bent a bit (the rule there is 'replace immediately') so I bought those 2.5 rise Jones H-Bars to replace the stock bars I didn't get on well with anyway.
My display was cracked, left grip destroyed, left mirror broken off and my clothing ruined (why I wear heavy cotton pants - Carhartt - when I ride).
Anything protruding on the left side caught the damage (dang those cranks and pedals are strong!).
I had a pro-bike shop check the bike over and he said the frame seemed okay. No creaks going forward, bike is stiff as new. I'll risk it.
Certainly not that bad. I could have been killed and I healed up fine.
-
Sorry for the rant.

Another smart move: paying the eBikery shop in Santa Barbara to do the initial setup and tune turned out to be a good idea. My front wheel and rotor arrived out of true and there was some question about whether I had a warranty issue or a claim against FedEx for shipping damage. Having a certified mechanic do the initial assembly was a prudent move, and as you have pointed out, polite persistence was rewarded by R1U’s Customer Service, who took good care of me

My rotor was also bent and the box mangled. FedEx is brutal and often irresponsible.
I confess they left a horrible taste in my mouth when they claimed they'd delivered $450.00 worth of Snap-On wrenches and had my signature - while I was out of town?
Five days later - after causing a huge mess and the seller now sure I was a scammer, I came home and there was a big, red roll of wrenches ) with the word SnapOn in white, 4" high letters, in plain sight laying on my doorstep - in an apartment building?
I checked and they again claimed I'd signed for receipt.
I avoid doing business with them.

Those H-Bars on ebay went for more $$$ than new - lol. They were also 710mm and I want 660's. I'd have to buy a small pipe-cutter.
So, 10 minutes after the auction ended, I ordered a set from Jones, had them in three days and installed yesterday - right after changing out my rear pads.
I'd ordered 4 sets of TEKTRO E10.11 P20.11 Brake Pads from aliexpress (the Red P20's, not the Green P10's) for $23.60, total cost.
Not bad. In USA 1 set's $20.00 total price and ordered on May 10th, they arrived the 20th.

You must have wrenched on stuff w MC's as a hobby?
Not sure if you don't know how to do the brakes, or can do it with your eyes closed, but if you're thinking about a shop doing it, there goes the $$$ for your nice bars or rack, to pay Retail and Labor. I don't much BYO parts moves with any (shop) mechanics, because I know the prices for the labor are supplemented by parts sales profits. If I do it's because they can't get it ... and I tip heavily.
LSS. I put the in same amount $$$ as the next guy to keep my bike running proper, but it all goes to the parts - and an occasional tool.

So, I'm going to lay out the 20 minute procedure for changing f/r pads on the Ride1Up Ltd's TECTRO Disc Brakes and maybe help someone else too.

TEKTRO's made it easy. No need to remove your wheel. The bike remains upright and you need only remove three small bolts.

A problem can arise if you don't first use a screwdriver to pry the old ones to fully retract (esp if well worn down), then remove and replace them. Otherwise, the cups may be too out to fit over the new much thicker ones over the disc ... and you'll have remove them, put the old ones back (best option), then pry them apart (who cares if they're damaged). Or attempt to pry the new ones, and almost certainly damage them.

For convenience, I use a 1/4 drive ratchet; a speed driver handle; a 3" extension and 4mm/ 5mm hex-sockets.

Take photos of the assembly for reference regarding the spacer thick side/ thin side; then glove-up and prearrange your new pads in the steel 'Y' holder, familiarizing yourself with how they fit.

Disassembly
Loosen the small bolt that holds the brake pad retainer.
Then remove the two bolts holding the caliper. 20220527_222218.jpg From this point on DON'T EVEN BUMP YOUR BRAKE LEVER Here's my brilliant work with MS Paint - lol lol.
Rather than annoy you with a huge photo, it's remove green YES, red NO, green YES.
I firmly, but slowly pry them apart to fully open the cups and don't care that the pads surface is marred.
Now unscrew and remove the pad retainer bolt.
The pads press out (with whatever. I use my hex socket's shank) easily at the chrome 'Y' pad holder clip's end.

Best practice is to immediately install new pads and get them on the rotor. I've noted that without resistance the cups can continue to open to a point the new pads won't fit over the disc. Let us😬 not go there. This is a piece of cake.

Grab the new set assembly (gloved) w/ pads in the metal 'Y' pad holder clip, pinching a bit to hold and inset them into the caliper.
If you fail the first time the bike will explode, simply pull them out and do it.
They are magnetic and will snap right in place. Feel the 'click'?
Now screw in the retainer bolt (not completely tightening it yet).
If the retainer bolt won't slide right in and through, jiggle it a bit to seat the pads. This is the alignment 'fail-safe'.
Check your photos and set the 'assembly stack' up.
Sliding the caliper onto the disc and tighten down the 5mm bolts until you can just move the caliper side-to-side.
Attach a gapping tool Gapping tools.jpg to the rotor and roll it in place between pads.
If it won't easily fit, pump the brake a few times and try - that will reset to the correct gap for the thickness of your new pads.
Fully tighten the pad retainer bolt.

The Home Stretch !

Pump the appropriate lever a few times and hold firmly closed while you tighten the calipers bolts down snug.
Roll the wheel back, remove the gapping tool (yes I forgot and left one one once).
Snug to specs you're comfortable.
I can feel a bolt's snug points - and often use a torque wrench. Up to you.

There's also a tool for truing your rotors for about 10 bucks on aliexpress. They work great.
This is too long so Bleeding will have to wait.
............................................................................................................................................................................................

So I tried the P20's .........

Next up!

Fn'F

Sorry I'm a little late answering.
From your experience, it really does sound like R1U has it pretty dialed w/ the cadence set up.
It's so easy to have problems arise from stretched wires, often during assembly.
I've been all through the wiring and found more than one that had 50 - 90% of the fine wires broken. Replaced and all gremlins left.
Some of, perhaps even all of the problems could have been my doing to some extent, and even if not, R1U's not at fault.
One hurried worker on an assembly line in China could also cause it.
I'm fine with digging in, learned a lot and got lucky figuring it out - well, I used others as the crash dummy this time. You replace 3 controllers in a row, either God hates you or it's not the controller, but a big clue came when I installed a new throttle and problems disappeared, so I carefully peeled the insulation down on the old wires and sure enough, there it was.
There's only so much R1U can do. They don't weasel out 👍, but a lot of owner problems are also bad settings and it takes time w/ back and forth to resolve. Never have I had them tell me "You're off warranty" sorry. In fact they took me to school. They didn't have to, but they spent hours of their valuable time to teach me what I needed to know. Why? I think it's their way of business - and that's not an easy path.
So I warn you: DO NOT pull hard on the wires, if you must pull at all - like changing out a display or throttle, as in when you need to get to the connectors through the hole in the frame. Always remember: those signal wires are some extremely flimsy hairs.

I plan to drill a different hole in the Battery Downtube, like the 700's have, but because of metallic particles being shed I'm waiting until I do a complete overhaul of all wiring that's a weak link and I can clean everything as well.
Not sure what would happen if some fragments of aluminum fell down through that bottom bracket hole into my torque sensor, and not going to find out, or I'd already have drilled. I must tape that hole shut first. That requires full disassembly of the battery compartment
Also, first I need to know what's on the other side where I'm drilling, so must see the inside first.
It's a major pain to get the lock and upper plate back in. Have to get it right the first time.
If you ever remove that upper plate and lock, here's a huge tip: Mark the plates position and depth with a fine marker before disassembly - or suffer endless attempts until you get it lined up perfectly - which is the only way it will fit. Last time I sprained two fingers before I was done.

The replacement twist-grip throttle(s) I've purchased have all had better wires than stock thumb throttle.
The Wuxing (right side) 1/8 twist throttle works great (See here: Wuxing Throttle with plug $12.83), but w/ stock handlebars the shifter is near impossible to fit correctly because the throttle's housing interferes and the wing on the grips is in the wrong position - no problem w/ Jones bars.
My left thumb's not up to a thumb-throttle, but I have a leftie twist grip I plan to try.
It's a bit too busy w/ a shifter, throttle, turn signals and brake all on one side so I found a leftie twist grip I'd planned to try and it seems built a lot better than the others. It also has a shorter throw (twist), like 1/8 turn (I prefer) not 1/4 turn.

If you do decide to change, you'll like it so much, you won't even notice when your using the twist throttle. It becomes 'one' with you, totally intuitive control without even thinking about it. For me it completely changed the character and my riding experience was greatly improved.
There are pitfalls.
The wiring colors often don't match, but with the diagrams available in Google images that's not a problem.
Another, the grip must be fully installed where the outer (plastic) bearing is fully seated all the way on, or you'll have problems.
Another is the housing should not be touching any other part of the assembly. If it is when you start tightening down the grip, it will be pressing even more as you tighten and I've found the throttle acts crazy when stressed like that.
Another is, the connector plugs probably won't match. Be prepared to solder and shrink fit some wires, or better yet, to remove and re-install the pins in your old, correct plug (using the existing pins), with the little tool for that purpose.
This leftie came with just the pins installed View attachment 124401 and much sturdier wiring (3 to 4 times the copper strands w/ thicker and stiffer insulation than stock).
Another (maybe) problem for some could be the inability to remove the plastic grip and install nice quality grips. For that you need a Domino ($110.00) IP67 Full Twist Throttle or a Magura ($95.00) throttle (which is not as good or ergonomic see: Domino v Magura throttles) - the guys at SurRon say the same thing.
Both come with 5 wires - we only use three of them, the other two are for a cut-out. A big deal w/ serious power, like the WattWagon I have on order (160 - 200nm torque) which also has Magura brakes w/ a cut-out circuit. You tap brakes, power goes off regardless you might have brain lock and be on the throttle while also trying to stop w/ brakes.
Of course save the thumb throttle in case you sell the bike. Most ebikers don't like twist types (until they've tried them, lol). So it won't decrease the value to suit them.

It's not accurate, but the voltage reading is. The "92%" reading is 92% of an arbitrary setting. It can be set to read 92% with 40volts left, or 53.
I hate guesstimating. I got 24 mile range before changing to V, now I get over 30.

Your experience mirrors mine. Heavy is just not the feel I want and it's terribly inconvenient for me, carrying my machine up and down stairs - which I often do twice a day. Would have been no problem 15 years ago when I squatted 350 with ease, benched twice my weight to do my reps and had 20lbs more muscle, but it would still drive like a truck. lol

That's an 'Axiom Streamliner Disc DLX Bicycle Rack Pannier Carrier 27 - 29” 700c', I love it and they're priced right too. See: DLX ebay (last one left) $51.81 . I tried several, even a Tubus at thrice the price - not impressed. This one is well worth the $$$, has great welds and a thick finish. A cool feature about a black rack is if you do mar the finish, you can easily touch it up.

I've been perplexed over the 30 - 55lb rating on the tire and cluelessly running at 35 - 45lbs.
I find you advice a better feel worth the effort.

You'd love my testing run. A slight downhill 1/4 mile straight, but you have to be careful as there are two street signals and * trash-pickers, will step in front of you, cross when their light's red, j-walk without bothering to look what's coming at them, or simply stand in the street screaming and babbling.
After the first straightaway, it turns into a high-speed 's' curve, then immediately, a left u-turn that converts to a tight right semi u-turn and on to a full throttle 1/4 straightaway - that even has a nice dip you can get air on. That straight has a fence and then trolley tracks on one side, no lights and clear visibility all the way to the end. Because there is no sidewalk on the trolley side, it's much safer from J-walking pedestrians.
I'm so far leaned over in those turns I'll get pedal strikes if my pedaling timing is incorrect - even a bit over 53volts View attachment 124409 as you can see from this run on 5/23/2022 the bike is very quick.
That's running on level 2. I just don't use 3, so I haven't tested the Ltd at that power level, but now I think I will. Wonder if I can hit 32mph ? We shall see.
I must say running that course a couple times a week has vastly improved my skills and continues to.

Long Note*. I've clipped two J-walking trash-pickers so far, and suffered a laydown from another's huge construction trash bag full of cans who pushed his stolen shopping cart loaded (literally. it was gigantic) 8' high with stolen and trash-picked stuff out from hidden between two box-trucks; 25 -30' in front of me, and I'm going 28mph in the leftmost lane, on a 4 lane one-way - packed with commuters trying to get home as fast as they can.
Totally hemmed in by traffic on my ass, in front and on the side, I instantly decided I'd prefer hitting him to being run over by the impatient driver 10' on my tail, but he saw he was going to get clobbered and quickly pulled his body back between the trucks, (leaving 3/4 of the cart still in my lane and dumping the mother of all 'bag of cans', which fell off and blocked over 3/4 the lane.
Rapidly closing, I went as far to the right as I could get and I really thought I had it, but that 10' x 5' bag (he'd no doubt shoplifted at Home Depot or Ace Hardware, since those bags are expensive) was too big and it had burst, cars sending cans flying everywhere.
I hit the last foot or so, the bag hooked me and pulled me down.
He was nice enough to ask me if I was okay and that was good, because as soon as I saw him approaching I had my hand on my mini-bear spray - knowing how so many of the 'homeless' as a rule blame everyone else for the problems and if you disagree they get violent.
So I picked myself up and painfully rode home on throttle, my hip in a lot of distress and a month of healing (sigh).
My bars, the front and rear racks and pedals saved the bike frame and wheels from damage, but the bars were bent a bit (the rule there is 'replace immediately') so I bought those 2.5 rise Jones H-Bars to replace the stock bars I didn't get on well with anyway.
My display was cracked, left grip destroyed, left mirror broken off and my clothing ruined (why I wear heavy cotton pants - Carhartt - when I ride).
Anything protruding on the left side caught the damage (dang those cranks and pedals are strong!).
I had a pro-bike shop check the bike over and he said the frame seemed okay. No creaks going forward, bike is stiff as new. I'll risk it.
Certainly not that bad. I could have been killed and I healed up fine.
-
Sorry for the rant.

Another smart move: paying the eBikery shop in Santa Barbara to do the initial setup and tune turned out to be a good idea. My front wheel and rotor arrived out of true and there was some question about whether I had a warranty issue or a claim against FedEx for shipping damage. Having a certified mechanic do the initial assembly was a prudent move, and as you have pointed out, polite persistence was rewarded by R1U’s Customer Service, who took good care of me

My rotor was also bent and the box mangled. FedEx is brutal and often irresponsible.
I confess they left a horrible taste in my mouth when they claimed they'd delivered $450.00 worth of Snap-On wrenches and had my signature - while I was out of town?
Five days later - after causing a huge mess and the seller now sure I was a scammer, I came home and there was a big, red roll of wrenches ) with the word SnapOn in white, 4" high letters, in plain sight laying on my doorstep - in an apartment building?
I checked and they again claimed I'd signed for receipt.
I avoid doing business with them.

Those H-Bars on ebay went for more $$$ than new - lol. They were also 710mm and I want 660's. I'd have to buy a small pipe-cutter.
So, 10 minutes after the auction ended, I ordered a set from Jones, had them in three days and installed yesterday - right after changing out my rear pads.
I'd ordered 4 sets of TEKTRO E10.11 P20.11 Brake Pads from aliexpress (the Red P20's, not the Green P10's) for $23.60, total cost.
Not bad. In USA 1 set's $20.00 total price and ordered on May 10th, they arrived the 20th.

You must have wrenched on stuff w MC's as a hobby?
Not sure if you don't know how to do the brakes, or can do it with your eyes closed, but if you're thinking about a shop doing it, there goes the $$$ for your nice bars or rack, to pay Retail and Labor. I don't much BYO parts moves with any (shop) mechanics, because I know the prices for the labor are supplemented by parts sales profits. If I do it's because they can't get it ... and I tip heavily.
LSS. I put the in same amount $$$ as the next guy to keep my bike running proper, but it all goes to the parts - and an occasional tool.

So, I'm going to lay out the 20 minute procedure for changing f/r pads on the Ride1Up Ltd's TECTRO Disc Brakes and maybe help someone else too.

TEKTRO's made it easy. No need to remove your wheel. The bike remains upright and you need only remove three small bolts.

A problem can arise if you don't first use a screwdriver to pry the old ones to fully retract (esp if well worn down), then remove and replace them. Otherwise, the cups may be too out to fit over the new much thicker ones over the disc ... and you'll have remove them, put the old ones back (best option), then pry them apart (who cares if they're damaged). Or attempt to pry the new ones, and almost certainly damage them.

For convenience, I use a 1/4 drive ratchet; a speed driver handle; a 3" extension and 4mm/ 5mm hex-sockets.

Take photos of the assembly for reference regarding the spacer thick side/ thin side; then glove-up and prearrange your new pads in the steel 'Y' holder, familiarizing yourself with how they fit.

Disassembly
Loosen the small bolt that holds the brake pad retainer.
Then remove the two bolts holding the caliper. View attachment 124501 From this point on DON'T EVEN BUMP YOUR BRAKE LEVER Here's my brilliant work with MS Paint - lol lol.
Rather than annoy you with a huge photo, it's remove green YES, red NO, green YES.
I firmly, but slowly pry them apart to fully open the cups and don't care that the pads surface is marred.
Now unscrew and remove the pad retainer bolt.
The pads press out (with whatever. I use my hex socket's shank) easily at the chrome 'Y' pad holder clip's end.

Best practice is to immediately install new pads and get them on the rotor. I've noted that without resistance the cups can continue to open to a point the new pads won't fit over the disc. Let us😬 not go there. This is a piece of cake.

Grab the new set assembly (gloved) w/ pads in the metal 'Y' pad holder clip, pinching a bit to hold and inset them into the caliper.
If you fail the first time the bike will explode, simply pull them out and do it.
They are magnetic and will snap right in place. Feel the 'click'?
Now screw in the retainer bolt (not completely tightening it yet).
If the retainer bolt won't slide right in and through, jiggle it a bit to seat the pads. This is the alignment 'fail-safe'.
Check your photos and set the 'assembly stack' up.
Sliding the caliper onto the disc and tighten down the 5mm bolts until you can just move the caliper side-to-side.
Attach a gapping tool View attachment 124616 to the rotor and roll it in place between pads.
If it won't easily fit, pump the brake a few times and try - that will reset to the correct gap for the thickness of your new pads.
Fully tighten the pad retainer bolt.

The Home Stretch !

Pump the appropriate lever a few times and hold firmly closed while you tighten the calipers bolts down snug.
Roll the wheel back, remove the gapping tool (yes I forgot and left one one once).
Snug to specs you're comfortable.
I can feel a bolt's snug points - and often use a torque wrench. Up to you.

There's also a tool for truing your rotors for about 10 bucks on aliexpress. They work great.
This is too long so Bleeding will have to wait.
............................................................................................................................................................................................

So I tried the P20's .........

Next up!

Fn'F

Hey Fn'F, Thanks for the thorough response (especially for the rack info and the brake pad advice).

I’ve changed the mechanicals on my 2015 iZip Zuma a few times, which were a piece of cake. The Tektros on the LMT’D sound like more work and I’m grateful for the tips.

Your “testing run” sounds like a blast but if you’re getting low enough for pedal strikes you may get slide-outs if you increase your tire pressure over 50. Regrettably our bikes won’t let us cross up and drift through turns!

Your trash picker story makes my butt pucker. So far my worst threat has been lost tourists rolling through stop signs in their rented motorhomes. Happened twice last winter and both times the driver claimed “I never saw you!” (in spite of my yelling curses and the bike having flashing lights front and rear). Our local newspaper has already gotten an anti-ebike letter to the editor, so I try not to add to the problem. It’s hard to deal with slow-ass pedal bikers and pedestrians walking on the bike path with headphones blasting so they can’t hear me coming. I considered getting a boaters’ air horn for the worst offenders, but since many are old ladies, I’m leary of causing one a heart-attack.

Regarding the mechanical stuff; I raced TT bikes as a young man. Wound-up working on my bikes at least as much time as riding. So yeah, I’m ok with changing tires, adjusting brakes and keeping things torqued to spec, but not that confident that I could suss out electrical issues like you have. As much as I’d like to have a twist throttle on the right, I don’t think I want to deal with the install. (Maybe later if I have issues with the wiring.)

Last word: did you see that R1U has gone back to a torque sensor on the LMT’D? It’ll be interesting to see how buyers like the “new improved” version.

did you see that R1U has gone back to a torque sensor on the LMT’D? It’ll be interesting to see how buyers like the “new improved” version.
They switched the XR LMT'D back to a torque sensor a few weeks ago, but the ST is still only cadence sensor.

Last edited:
Never owned 'cadence', so I lack experience, maybe GeneXrider can speak to the difference?
My observation is cadence is most overwhelmingly loved by long-haul riders - for the pace.
TS, being close to 'on demand' is more for stop-and-go, City type driving.
At slower speeds torque sensors are all there is - except using throttle.
The rest seem like preference, both types loyally loved by some.

Hey Fn'F, Thanks for the thorough response (especially for the rack info and the brake pad advice).

I’ve changed the mechanicals on my 2015 iZip Zuma a few times, which were a piece of cake. The Tektros on the LMT’D sound like more work and I’m grateful for the tips.

Your “testing run” sounds like a blast but if you’re getting low enough for pedal strikes you may get slide-outs if you increase your tire pressure over 50. Regrettably our bikes won’t let us cross up and drift through turns!

Your trash picker story makes my butt pucker. So far my worst threat has been lost tourists rolling through stop signs in their rented motorhomes. Happened twice last winter and both times the driver claimed “I never saw you!” (in spite of my yelling curses and the bike having flashing lights front and rear). Our local newspaper has already gotten an anti-ebike letter to the editor, so I try not to add to the problem. It’s hard to deal with slow-ass pedal bikers and pedestrians walking on the bike path with headphones blasting so they can’t hear me coming. I considered getting a boaters’ air horn for the worst offenders, but since many are old ladies, I’m leary of causing one a heart-attack.

Regarding the mechanical stuff; I raced TT bikes as a young man. Wound-up working on my bikes at least as much time as riding. So yeah, I’m ok with changing tires, adjusting brakes and keeping things torqued to spec, but not that confident that I could suss out electrical issues like you have. As much as I’d like to have a twist throttle on the right, I don’t think I want to deal with the install. (Maybe later if I have issues with the wiring.)

Last word: did you see that R1U has gone back to a torque sensor on the LMT’D? It’ll be interesting to see how buyers like the “new improved” version.
The Tektros are easy. I'm just a dolt explaining it.
Your “testing run” sounds like a blast but if you’re getting low enough for pedal strikes you may get slide-outs if you increase your tire pressure over 50.
Why is that 😳 ? I'm definitely getting that low.
Not sure it matters that we have different tires. I've Schwalbe MotoX 27.5 x 2.4 and you've the WTB Groov-e 27.5"x2.4". I'm pretty clueless and 'all 👂's' for 'tire info'!
My priorities in descending order: safety; performance; weight; durability; cost; being cool.
I looked at the run-flat super tires and found 'super weight' too.

Tried a boaters horn w/ 'walking dead'. Total fail. lol.

I simply don't trust them. 'Them'? Anybody or anything on the road.
In a 30mph, cruising along at 25mph someone opens a door almost right in front of me, strange but anticipated. Suicide drones shuffling into the street against lights, j-walking - then stopping and drunkenly wobbling in place where you can't tell if they are going forward or backwards. Normal.
One member told of 'just riding along, lights blinking and WHAM, his next awareness was in an ambulance.
I've hit things that hard - where I sew the light. His experience has special meaning to me. I 'think' that feeling and cringe a bit inside.
They are all out to get us. I'm just glad you stay aware enough to not hit that MH.
Currently it's a semi-free for all , from brakeless BMX bikes running red lights, to 3000watt hubs burning up the sidewalks, but it's safe to say at some point, E-bikes numbers will surpass cars (in reasonably planned cities), we'll see the return of mandatory Bike Registration and that's where the 'class' designation, by wattage will be verified by the motor's bar-code.
The Ltd is safe at 'Class 3'

I think you will find this bike pretty easy. and you sound plenty competent.

The new Jones H-Bars are installed; everything's adjusted and torqued down; saddle raised .75"; Kinekt firmed up 1/4 turn; fork holding 65lbs; tires at 52lbs. I'm pretty dialed in.
I'm headed out for a ride, maybe shoot a few photos.

Fn'F

My experience has been that if I pump my tires too hard, they are more apt to slide on gravel or just plain come loose when the angle of attack is too severe. The softer the rubber the better the grip (up to a point) so the kind of tire and its’ tread pattern are also factors. When my first ebike was new I did a near face-plant in my driveway running too much pressure and hitting the driveway at a sharp angle. The front tire was the culprit but the same principle applies to the rear: hard tires roll better but are less forgiving, especially when cornering.

I’m still learning about how body position effects grip when cornering. For example, the benefits of keeping your torso vertical when leaning the bike into a turn, the thinking being that if you keep your weight directly over the part of the tire that’s on the road, you retain traction that would otherwise be lost to the centrifugal force generated during the turn. It feels counter-intuitive at first, and I haven’t had the balls to try it over real gravel or water, but it feels like I can make sharper turns. (I should point out that I’m speaking of flat turns on pavement. I imagine that downhill mountain bikers probably have different body positions for banked turns vs. flat turns.)

Anyhow that’s my take on the topic of tire pressure vs. traction.

Regarding survival on our roads, we didn’t get this old by having our heads up our bums. Like you, I’ve learned to expect the worst. Last month I had to deal with a lady who was so intent on not crossing the double-yellow line she almost clipped me with her mirror. When I caught up to her at the stop sign I asked her if she understood a double-yellow means “no passing”. Her reply: “OK next time I’ll hit you.”

Nice couple of jaunt's today. Been eating correctly, so my ossified bones are feelin' frisky. I'm perfecting 'best placement' of ancillary stuff - like brake levers; shifter; turn signals; mirror; throttle - on the J H-Bars. Pretty near 'best angle of down-slope for me. Up a tad, I think.
Love the seat raised .75" - may even go a bit higher.
Bike's dirty, but I thought I'd share a few shots of here and now ...
20220531_131241.jpg

20220531_131509.jpg

I'm balanced against the cement with the 'V Stand' up, so you see a little tilt. The red gadget is to secure the basket on the left.
20220531_131528.jpg
20220531_131646.jpg

Balance sans stand again. You can see the bars need to go down or the saddle up a bit.
Yes. That's a custom Pole Holder for my Surf Rod. Look at those torque arms - w/ titanium Lug-Nuts. Hey, my latest treasure of titanium nuts and bolts also just arrived !!! The seat-clamp, front skewer and most fasteners are titanium on this Ltd.
20220531_132002.jpg

Booted and Suited
20220531_131404.jpg

20220531_132207.jpg

20220531_132103.jpg

20220531_131753.jpg

Like everything I post, I hope this shows some positive things you can do with your Ltd.
These bars demonstrate another worthy upgrade that improves the comfort, performance and safety not only for the Ltd, probably most e-bikes.
FIVE STARS

Fn'F

Last edited:
Thanks. Exactly !
Weight. I know (lol) ... musing 'new fork and dump rack I don't use, 🤔I just paid off my extra seat-post weight'.
Since you already have torque arms (mine weigh a bit), if you stick with the kick-stand, the next sneaky weight add-on is a heavy lock.
Usable bars actually save weight because you won't need contraptions; extenders you otherwise will - that don't work anyhow.
Upgrade to a stronger fork, go with an Axiom and still be under stock 53lbs ???
Remember, if you purchase an Axiom be certain it comes with your preference: the round, black bars or the twisty silver connecters to the seat-stays.
Stay strong, ride on !

Fn'F

Back