Ok, so I narrowed it down, but still need help please.....

The Haibike Trekking that @FlatSix911 linked is also a good deal. It pretty much comes with everything, so no need to spend extra. The tires are skinny which will have low rolling resistance. Yamaha PW-SE 250W motor will deliver smooth assist and powerful enough to climb hills easily. Overall, a great commuter and exercise bike.

I own a similar bike from Haibike and it’s been great. I started with 5 mile rides and now I do 35 mile rides regularly. Half the time I don’t even use the motor, mostly on hills and maybe the last 5 miles when I’m puckered out from the long ride.

I now feel like I've been going about this all wrong. I mean, all this time I've been learning to get at least a 750 or 1000 motor, and a mid drive at that, as well as torque sensor for pedaling/exercise. The mtn bike/fat tire look (with rack and fenders) is my 'visual' preference. But now I feel a lesser motor and thinner tires may be better? This is fun to learn for sure, yet also frustrating. You all have been AWESOME, by the way. It's just me and my apparent lack of knowledge in all this plus indecisiveness.

I now feel like I've been going about this all wrong. I mean, all this time I've been learning to get at least a 750 or 1000 motor, and a mid drive at that, as well as torque sensor for pedaling/exercise. The mtn bike/fat tire look (with rack and fenders) is my 'visual' preference. But now I feel a lesser motor and thinner tires may be better? This is fun to learn for sure, yet also frustrating. You all have been AWESOME, by the way. It's just me and my apparent lack of knowledge in all this plus indecisiveness.
So I reviewed the Haibike and even the small frame is a bit over 31" standover height. I have a 27/28" inseam, so that may be too tall for me? Am I understanding this right?

So I reviewed the Haibike and even the small frame is a bit over 31" standover height. I have a 27/28" inseam, so that may be too tall for me? Am I understanding this right?

The Haibike should have a much lower standover height with this frame design... where did you find the 31" measurement?

I suspect that the measurement was not made at the low point over the bottom bracket but at the high point of the top tube.

1596326021396.png

You really have to be honest with yourself and what type of riding you will do. You pay a big price for a heavy fat tire with big tires that never leaves the tar or gravel trail. I ride year round in Mn so I have a summer bike and a winter bike. ;)

A lot of eMTB come with 27.5 x 2.8 wheels/tires. That is a fantastic combination for everything but snow.

With that inseam length, perhaps a step through frame would be better. Here's an example of one that's near your budget. Yes it's a Giant (LIV is their women's line), and I just bought a Giant bike, but look at this one and see what features that appeal to you. LIV Amite E+4. The LIV and Giant bikes are very, very similar, but have slightly different geometries. I was very close to buying a LIV Amite E+2 (that model is not available in the US) but bought a Fathom instead.

This is probably best deal right now. Haibike’s top of the line trekking bike with high end components and $2000 off retail ($4699) probably better deal than the Yamaha. It’s a small frame 48cm which is good for your height. A 2019 model class 3 speed 28mph. Even if you have to spend a little more it’ll be well worth it.

It’s sold by bicycle blue book which is an established retailer.

EBR Review

Here's another option to consider, Momentum Transend E+. No fenders or rack, but it has a Yamaha mid-drive with torque sensing, handles pavement and gravel well and it's class 3, all for $2,600. I bought mine online from Momentum about 5 weeks ago and it arrived at my dealership and was ready to pick up in less than a week. A friend rode it, fell in love and ordered one for herself on a Sunday evening, it arrived at the Giant dealer on Wednesday (three business days!!!).

I'm glad I didn't get an Ebike with everything on it because it allows me to accessorize it exactly how I want it. For example, I've added larger platform pedals, Topeak handlebar bag, seat bag and MTX rear rack and bag as well as a Topeak rear light and headlight I found on AliExpress.

Oh wow! I didn't even realize something like that existed. Now I have more to think about. I swear, every time I feel my decision is being wrapped up, more information finds me and I start all over again. Lol! I've been shopping for at least 2-3 months now when all I really wanna be doing at this point is riding. I just want to make the absolute right choice. My TOP budget is $2500 and I would like fenders and a rack with that. Maybe I am pickier than I thought. Haha! Anyway, off to look at your recommendations now. :)
Fenders, rack, lights, and display ... all are options on some bikes.

Soooo my GF wants an ebike with me now. I thought it was gonna be just me then if she liked it we would get her one, but no. She wants to ride/learn with me. That's great, of course. But now I am on the hunt for 2 bikes vs 1 and 1 is hard enough. Haha! Anyway, keep the suggestions and opinions coming. By this week, I want to get these ordered. I HAVE to get my health improved, and just live life (have fun, explore, breathe the air).

Oh wow! I didn't even realize something like that existed. Now I have more to think about. I swear, every time I feel my decision is being wrapped up, more information finds me and I start all over again.
That assist level power config option is a feature of one of the bikes on one of your earlier lists - The Ride1Up 700.
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ere-and-to-ebikes-and-i-need-some-help.35869/

700-lcd-power-settings.jpg

Also, the Ride1Up Core-5 and 500 have that feature. The R1U LMT'D may include it as well with the next shipments that include the KD218 LCD. The LMT'D is the only one of those with torque sensor based PAS, although it's not necessarily any better for exercise, and can actually be worse - depends on the bike. You can get good exercise with the cadence based PAS systems in the other 3 R1U bikes by adjusting the power level of assist level 1 (and others) to a lower percentage, if you feel it's necessary, rather than being stuck with some unchangeable setting. That's actually the first thing that attracted me to the Ride1Up bikes - I ride a standard bike for exercise and want to continue riding for exercise without having to ride extra fast due to an overpowered PAS 1.

Like you, I was originally thinking of a fat tire bike, and I was set on a Ripcurrent S at one point. I'm really glad I didn't get it. Juggernaut Classic was on my short list later because it offered some 2.8" street and 3" MTB tire options instead of just the fat tires. 2..2" to 2.4" is reasonable to me, which the R1U bikes have.

One of your other threads for reference:
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/new-here-need-help-deciding.35917/

Last edited:
When buying 2 bikes, where you are often riding together, getting bikes that share components can be very useful (and I speak from experience).

If you can swap batteries, when one of you wants to go on an extra long ride, you can take both batteries.
Also, if one person is struggling or gets hurt and needs to run on a higher assist, having that second one to swap might make a big difference to getting home safely.

Also, some retailers give discounts if you buy two at the same time.

For example, DOST bikes (new Canadian online company) gives $250 discount when buying 2.
So 2 of their bikes would only be slightly over your budget in USD. ($5348 for two bikes)

I just used DOST as an example (as they're sold out until the Oct/Nov shipments are in) - I am sure many other companies (LBS included) would have similar incentives.

That assist level power config option is a feature of one of the bikes on one of your earlier lists - The Ride1Up 700.
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ere-and-to-ebikes-and-i-need-some-help.35869/

View attachment 61072

Also, the Ride1Up Core-5 and 500 have that feature. The R1U LMT'D may include it as well with the next shipments that include the KD218 LCD. The LMT'D is the only one of those with torque sensor based PAS, although it's not necessarily any better for exercise, and can actually be worse - depends on the bike. You can get good exercise with the cadence based PAS systems in the other 3 R1U bikes by adjusting the power level of assist level 1 (and others) to a lower percentage, if you feel it's necessary, rather than being stuck with some unchangeable setting. That's actually the first thing that attracted me to the Ride1Up bikes - I ride a standard bike for exercise and want to continue riding for exercise without having to ride extra fast due to an overpowered PAS 1.

Like you, I was originally thinking of a fat tire bike, and I was set on a Ripcurrent S at one point. I'm really glad I didn't get it. Juggernaut Classic was on my short list later because it offered some 2.8" street and 3" MTB tire options instead of just the fat tires. 2..2" to 2.4" is reasonable to me, which the R1U bikes have.

One of your other threads for reference:
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/new-here-need-help-deciding.35917/
Thank you so much for showing me this as I didn't know R1U had this featutre, one I think is super cool and will be useful for me. Buying two of the R1U will save me a bit of $, too, which is always a plus. Question- I read on the reviews that the suspension on the R1U is bad. Do you have any issue with it? And between the R1U and an Aventon, would you still choose the R1U? I think Aventon is making an announcement today for something new, so we'll see what else they may have to offer soon.

Thanks again!

When buying 2 bikes, where you are often riding together, getting bikes that share components can be very useful (and I speak from experience).

If you can swap batteries, when one of you wants to go on an extra long ride, you can take both batteries.
Also, if one person is struggling or gets hurt and needs to run on a higher assist, having that second one to swap might make a big difference to getting home safely.

Also, some retailers give discounts if you buy two at the same time.

For example, DOST bikes (new Canadian online company) gives $250 discount when buying 2.
So 2 of their bikes would only be slightly over your budget in USD. ($5348 for two bikes)

I just used DOST as an example (as they're sold out until the Oct/Nov shipments are in) - I am sure many other companies (LBS included) would have similar incentives.
Hi!

Yes, I've seen a few ebike sites offering that deal, RAD being one of them. The company I work at also gives us discounts on RAD, so that was a plus when I had my heart set on the Rad Rover 5. But then realizing the bike would be too big for me, and that the 750w motor may not be a 'true' number, I went away from RAD entirely. There is a step thru version of the Rover though. My GF likes it. So we'll see.

Question- I read on the reviews that the suspension on the R1U is bad. Do you have any issue with it?
I have not heard of anyone say that about the R1U bikes. It's obviously not top shelf, but that's expected. I have heard some complaints about the Ripcurrent S suspension being "garbage" IIRC. The Core-5 does not have a suspension. The LMT'D has the best suspension of the R1U bikes with its air fork, but it's not a high end shock than you will get on a $4000 eMTB.

And between the R1U and an Aventon, would you still choose the R1U?
In a heartbeat. Getting exercise without having to pedal to an unnecessary high speed is important to me, and the R1U lets you tweak the power of each assist level for the balance that I want, while the Aventon Level and Pace 500 will run up to 12 mph in the lowest assist level with ghost pedaling.

Note: It's unknown at this time whether those power settings will be available and functional on the LMT'D, but the new shipments will have a new LCD which includes options for those settings. It's just a matter if they are enabled and work on the LMT'D with its torque sensor based PAS.

Have you considered the Lectric XPs? The more I read about them, makes them more enticing. And you can get 2 for less than $2k.

So do you have a different short list now than your original post?
Not exactly. I have gone back to look at the R1U series though (700 or Lmtd) as another poster/owner here informed me that it has the option in the settings to lower the assist levels which would be good for me, exercise wise. But it's not a mid drive nor has torque sensor. So I feel like I'd be taking a step back again. However, now that my GF wants a bike with me, maybe something like these would be better 'starter' bikes. Once I get used to everything and ride a couple years, plus save more $ again, then I can revisit the other ebikes (or whatever new has come out by then), all while keeping in mind the Yamaha and Bosch motors you all are teaching me about. I just really wish a Rad, Sondors, Biktrix or Juiced would work for all I want/need as I keep gravitating toward those. Is there not one I listed that is decent-good for what I will be using it for? Btw- I get a discount on Rad through the company I work for, which is a plus. But I hear even though they are ranked #1, they aren't all that when it comes to quality parts and customer service. Oh well.

Have you considered the Lectric XPs? The more I read about them, makes them more enticing. And you can get 2 for less than $2k.
No, I haven't really looked in to them. I will watch the review now. I'm not so much about the step-thru or mini bike style, but for traveling they look awesome. And that is something I need to think on; traveling with the bikes. I will have to buy a bike rack soon after purchase.

Not exactly. I have gone back to look at the R1U series though (700 or Lmtd) as another poster/owner here informed me that it has the option in the settings to lower the assist levels which would be good for me, exercise wise. But it's not a mid drive nor has torque sensor.

I need to correct the above since I was the one who brought these up. The adjustment of the assist level power percentages definitely is a feature of current gen 700, but at I stated a couple times earlier in this thread, it is an unknown at this point whether the LMT'D will support those settings, despite the fact that the new LCD that it will be shipped with supports those settings. We will have to wait and see on the LMT'D.

Also, as I stated earlier in this thread, the LMT'D DOES have a torque sensor. The 700 does not. Some people prefer hub drives. There's a new LMT'D video with the new controller, but it's still the old LCD. See:

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...lmtd-new-owners-perspective.35049/post-311993

Back